My "I lost 10 lbs on this cruise" review of the Getaway 6/7/2014-6/14/2014

Thank you everyone :)

So I sorta got an answer.

My Pulmonologist said my lungs are perfect. No nodules and my breathing capacity is at 100%.

So he isn't even sure what the surgeon saw that would have been a cause for concern to begin with.

But....

The results from the CT scan were that I have two abnormally large lymph nodes in my mediastinum.

Could be nothing, could be an infection, could be lung cancer, or lymphoma.

I am right back to where I started. Except now I know (as of today) that my lungs are perfect.

The doctor said my heart rate was over 100 due to me panicking so he ordered an emergency PET scan for me. I am going this Wednesday instead of waiting until the 25th.

I am a little annoyed that the surgeon didn't tell me that it wasn't my lungs and that it is my lymph nodes.

I wouldn't have been mad if he told me he made a mistake about the lung nodules but the fact that he ordered a PET scan because of my lymph nodes and failed to tell me that makes me a little annoyed.

I kinda figured that something else was going on when the surgeon told me I needed a PET scan.

Good news: my lungs are ok, I have a somewhat better understanding of what's going on, my pet scan was pushed up, and I like this new doctor. Oh and he also showed me my xrays.

Bad news: I still do not know if I am healthy or unhealthy or if I need a biopsy. The biopsy sounds really scary. Because it's the mediastinum, (which by the way im not a genius and learned today that the mediastinum is located near your heart...I think anyway), and therefore would require an incision at the base of your neck. Ughh too many anxious thoughts running through my mind.

He told me to un- pause my life but I can't do that.....

I will know *hopefully* weds what the pet results are.

Until then please keep those well wishes coming. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

My Pulmonologist said my lungs are perfect. No nodules and my breathing capacity is at 100%.

So he isn't even sure what the surgeon saw that would have been a cause for concern to begin with.

But....

The results from the CT scan were that I have two abnormally large lymph nodes in my mediastinum.

I am right back to where I started. Except now I know (as of today) that my lungs are perfect.

The doctor said my heart rate was over 100 due to me panicking so he ordered an emergency PET scan for me. I am going this Wednesday instead of waiting until the 25th.

I am a little annoyed that the surgeon didn't tell me that it wasn't my lungs and that it is my lymph nodes.

I wouldn't have been mad if he told me he made a mistake about the lung nodules but the fact that he ordered a PET scan because of my lymph nodes and failed to tell me that makes me a little annoyed.

I kinda figured that something else was going on when the surgeon told me I needed a PET scan.

Good news: my lungs are ok, I have a somewhat better understanding of what's going on, my pet scan was pushed up, and I like this new doctor. Oh and he also showed me my xrays.

Bad news: I still do not know if I am healthy or unhealthy or if I need a biopsy. The biopsy sounds really scary. Because it's the mediastinum, (which by the way im not a genius and learned today that the mediastinum is located near your heart...I think anyway), and therefore would require an incision at the base of your neck. Ughh too many anxious thoughts running through my mind.

Wow....hang in there!

Medicine - unfortunately - rarely moves quickly. :o

Praying for a good outcome on your PET scan. I'm glad you finally got some answers, even if there are more questions. Fingers crossed that it is an infection and you don't need a biopsy. :)

But....

Your going to be PERFECTLY fine I know it. And stay off google.

Edited by GeriC

So I sorta got an answer.......

You can count on the well wishes..... Following your postings, hoping for the best, and sending well wishes your way.... hang in there.

Your going to be PERFECTLY fine I know it. And stay off google.

Best advice....ever! I know you're frustrated...I know you're scared....I know you have family, friends and us strangers praying for you! But please stay off the internet - it has information that simply isn't true and will scare you even more. :eek:

Continued prayers and good thoughts. Thanks for keeping us updated! :)

Just to put your mind at ease, but the Gall Bladder issue you had could be what is causing the inflammation in the lymph nodes. Lymph nodes filter out the bad stuff and with chronic gall stones they could be permanently swollen. I know from experience. I had chronic tonsillitis with strep throat (13 times in 2 years) when I was 30. Since then, I have 2 swollen lymph nodes I'm my neck. Anytime I go to a doctor, I need to remind them because they start to get that concerned look.:D

I like the doctor's advise to unpause your life. Someone once told met that worrying is useless. If something is wrong, the worrying made it worse, and if nothing is wrong, we wasted our time worrying. In the end it does no good and only makes the situation unbearable.

I would try to follow the advice to stay off the internet unless and until there is something to really research. Otherwise, you're subjected to tons of information about dozens of things that have nothing to do with you and send you into a whirling vortex of worry.

You are going to be fine. Keep saying that. Try to get back to some sense of normal until your test Wednesday, when you will find out that you are perfectly healthy.

Prayers for you from here too.

I like the doctor's advise to unpause your life. Someone once told met that worrying is useless. If something is wrong, the worrying made it worse, and if nothing is wrong, we wasted our time worrying. In the end it does no good and only makes the situation unbearable.

So hard to do when in the middle of a scary time, but such excellent advise!

I agree 100% (although I do realize that sometimes this is easier said than done)!!!! Years ago, I had a German language instructor who taught me this.... he said, "If worrying helps, than worry." In other words, worrying does us no good at all. I always try to remember this phrase when I am facing the unknown.

Sending continued prayers and good vibes your way! Please keep us posted... we are all cheering for a positive outcome for you!!!!

Melissa

You only have a couple of days to get through before you will have your PET results, so please allow yourself the luxury of that time spent worry and stress free. No amount of fretting is going to change the results, but it will rob you of today, which you cannot get back when it is gone. Take a deep breath and then look for the small moments that make life worthwhile. And know that you have many "strangers" sending prayers and best wishes your way.

Well now I may not be able to get it done tomorrow.

Since my insurance already gave authorization to one facility for the 25th they are refusing another one for tomorrow.

The two doctors offices are trying to get this resolved but it's almost 3 so I'm pretty sure it's not happening.

Just to put your mind at ease, but the Gall Bladder issue you had could be what is causing the inflammation in the lymph nodes. Lymph nodes filter out the bad stuff and with chronic gall stones they could be permanently swollen. I know from experience. I had chronic tonsillitis with strep throat (13 times in 2 years) when I was 30. Since then, I have 2 swollen lymph nodes I'm my neck. Anytime I go to a doctor, I need to remind them because they start to get that concerned look.:D

Yes, exactly! Same thing here--everyone always squeezes around my neck and asks me if anyone has ever mentioned I have enlarged nodes and thyroid. Yes, many times, tests all normal...

OP please remember also that this might be something you have had all your life. "One man's normal is another man's abnormal" And who's to say what's normal?

Positive thoughts :)