My "I lost 10 lbs on this cruise" review of the Getaway 6/7/2014-6/14/2014

So glad the surgery went well. We love Bayside and luckily can go often, I admire your restraint in your menu options. Can't wait to hear how you did the rest of the week.

Love Charlotte by the way, we fly into there often when visiting the kids in Columbia SC.

Saturday June 7th --woo hoo cruise time.

We decided to meet at 11am in the lobby of the hotel.

I woke up excited and scared. I still was not one hundred percent sure that I wouldn't get airlifted off this cruise or wind up needing emergency surgery on an island.

**please note what I did was a RISK and I would never suggest it to anyone but with the DR standing firm that I would be ok on the cruise I decided to go**

We met in the lobby and hopped into a cab.

To the port of Miami we go!

Wowwww that ship is huge.

I think the most exciting moment of the cruise is pulling into the port and having it right in front of you.

We got out and tipped the porter. The guy helping us left our luggage on the curb which I refused to leave until I saw the bags on the cart. He assured me it would arrive but I told him until I physically saw the bags on the cart, I would not leave.

After a few minutes of watching him he decided to put our bags safely on the cart.

I thanked him and we were on our way to Terminal B.

If I remember correctly there were two terminals for this ship.

We got on line and everything went really smoothly.

We were group 7 but I honestly do not remember waiting long.

Ok here goes nothing. Hey gallbladder let's be friends for the next 7 days. I think we both need this vacation. "Ok deal" (lol)

We stepped up onto the ship and I was in AWE...this ship was so beautiful.

The floor we stepped onto was floor 7 and I notice O'Sheenhans. We decided this would be a great place to plop our booties and our baggies until the rooms were ready.

I did take pictures of the menu. Actually I think this is the only place I took photos of the menu.

My sister got the chicken pot pie and the artichoke dip. My mother got a hamburger I believe, my boyfriend got the fish and chips and the chicken tenders. I asked for a salad with turkey and a grilled chicken sandwhich. I told the waiter no butter, oil, etc and he said sure no problem.

We'll the sandwich came and the bread had butter on it. Ok no biggie I'll just soak up the butter with my napkin and not eat the bread or the French fried.

The waiter noticed what I was doing came right over and took my meal away. He proceeded to apologize and bought me a new sandwhich with no butter. :)

The only complaint I heard about the food was that the artichoke dip was watery. Eh at least you can eat it I said. LOL

Ok the rooms are ready!!!

I shall be back

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

1403396816482.jpg.943770b3abf669731b9972d921ab4c17.jpg

1403396971968.jpg.f6d7aeac4a87359dc43c9a103885d08a.jpg

1403396996335.jpg.bb4da3f8b3c6256b68d2b2ddbb33a703.jpg

1403397013151.jpg.5492747547c5eec3a8a461568b8ad9d0.jpg

1403397028480.jpg.77c3b73f9673fe202225b099b68aae42.jpg

I for one understand your pain and will cling onto every post until you are done! ;)

Just be extra careful going to work tomorrow! It will take weeks for you to heal properly...and we all don't want you to do something to interrupt the healing process!! :eek:

One question: where is the free trolly stop by your hotel? We will be staying at the Hilton Miami Downtown which I believe is pretty close to the hotel you stayed at and want to take advantage of ALL the free transportation!

Thanks for taking us along with you on your "risky" adventure!! :cool:

Edited by NayRN
Question!

I for one understand your pain and will cling onto every post until you are done! ;)

Just be extra careful going to work tomorrow! It will take weeks for you to heal properly...and we all don't want you to do something to interrupt the healing process!! :eek:

One question: where is the free trolly stop by your hotel? We will be staying at the Hilton Miami Downtown which I believe is pretty close to the hotel you stayed at and want to take advantage of ALL the free transportation!

Thanks for taking us along with you on your "risky" adventure!! :cool:

We always stay at the Miami Hilton Downtown. Gorgeous views from the windows. If you are lucky enough to get one of the corner Jr Suites, you can see the cruise ships, the downtown skyline, and all the way over the bay to South Beach. We have never taken the "trolley" but I think what the OP is talking about is the free elevated train that runs in a loop around the downtown. If memory serves it is a block or two down the street. Ask the concierge by the check in desk. Go left from the hotel entry and you will pass the Miami Heat stadium, the music venue and then Bayside Wharf/Shopping. It is an easy few block walk.

"Behind" the Hilton is perhaps where the OP stayed. The Mariott and some other hotels are back there. There is a shopping mall/ restaurants attached to those hotels and they back up to the harbor with some restaurants with outdoor dining. We always walk over there for dinner. If you take the elevator up to the "Ballroom Floor" at the Hilton, look for signs for the "Skywalk". It is a meandering route, a portion taking you outside and then back inside into a parking garage where you'll see signs at the elevators directing you where to get off for the skywalk into the Mariott/shops etc. I think it is quicker, and keeps you mostly inside if it's hot.

We always stay at the Miami Hilton Downtown. Gorgeous views from the windows. If you are lucky enough to get one of the corner Jr Suites, you can see the cruise ships, the downtown skyline, and all the way over the bay to South Beach. We have never taken the "trolley" but I think what the OP is talking about is the free elevated train that runs in a loop around the downtown. If memory serves it is a block or two down the street. Ask the concierge by the check in desk. Go left from the hotel entry and you will pass the Miami Heat stadium, the music venue and then Bayside Wharf/Shopping. It is an easy few block walk.

"Behind" the Hilton is perhaps where the OP stayed. The Mariott and some other hotels are back there. There is a shopping mall/ restaurants attached to those hotels and they back up to the harbor with some restaurants with outdoor dining. We always walk over there for dinner. If you take the elevator up to the "Ballroom Floor" at the Hilton, look for signs for the "Skywalk". It is a meandering route, a portion taking you outside and then back inside into a parking garage where you'll see signs at the elevators directing you where to get off for the skywalk into the Mariott/shops etc. I think it is quicker, and keeps you mostly inside if it's hot.

Thanks! Oh and shhhhhhh...I did book a corner jr suite for my sisters b-day present!! It was actually a little bit less than booking at the Hampton Inn Brickell for the same nights!

Also, I'm told it's pretty dang hot in August so your information regarding the indoor travel to the Skywalk is much appreciated!!

Rooms are ready!

It was 1pm when they announced the rooms were ready.

We headed towards the elevators with so much excitement. My bf and I had room 13176. I remember thinking to myself "hmm isn't 13 an unlucky number on a ship. I hope this isn't some sort of sign that my gallbladder will misbehave."

We got up to deck 13 and the first thing I noticed was that the kids club was on this floor (it actually was on deck 12 but I think this is another entrance) and thought oh boy here we go.

Any who we found our room which was literally right by the elevator, which I love by the way, opened the door and was blown away.

I loved this room! If my memory serves me correctly it has been the biggest room I have had to date.

We always have balcony rooms but I felt this room was so spacious.

The balcony itself was teeny tiny but that was fine with me :)

It had ample storage, a hair dryer, a shower with a door, a nice big couch, and a comfortable bed.

My mom was next door in 13178 and was also happy with the room.

I started to unpack our carry on luggage when I started to feel like I was losing my mind.

How do you turn on the lights??

After about 25 minutes of searching and searching, my boyfriend finally figures out the whole light thing.

By the door there is a metal slot. You have to insert your door key and leave it in the metal slot in order for the lights and TV to stay on . Once you take it out everything shuts off.

We unpack and I decide to start going through the menus for all the specialty restaurants. I really have to sit down and decide what I can eat and what I can't eat.

Tonight we are going to Ocean Blue. What am I going to eat?

My sister just graduated from culinary school and my boyfriend is fairly familiar with different recipes.

It's amazing to me how little I know about food. They had lobster risotto on the menu and I picked that. My sister said nope risotto is usually made with cream.

Ok how about a fish dish? Almost every dish had some sort of cream and or butter.

Then there was grouper. My bf said to ask when we get there if they can just boil grouper for me without any flavorings.

Oh Yummmm (I thought sarcastically, boiled grouper:rolleyes:)

Ok now what about desert? No, not that or that. How about this? Nope, wait what is sorbet? Sorbet has cream or is that sherbert?

A quick Google and YES I can have sorbet. Sorbet is nothing but fruit and ice with some added sugar.

Woo hoo I'm eating sorbet for desert!

Never been so excited to eat something other than chocolate for desert!

1403542655582.jpg.ef8b837b99e03d8cec46365d0775033f.jpg

1403542679388.jpg.58377c1abff4a3eded73ac552ea0581f.jpg

1403542701029.jpg.ddfec57813b72c331fedcb483101eb1d.jpg

1403542715633.jpg.3293badfc79fe44df29680ce11719f65.jpg

1403542730454.jpg.731296eb19aab02981e16d89a8163dac.jpg

There is a red trolley. We only took it on the way back from Bayside and it dropped me off right in front of the Hilton.

If you google Miami trolley it should pop up. Also I'm pretty sure if you asked the receptionist at the hotel they can give you directions to the stop.

The Marriott Biscayne Bay is behind the Hilton and I remember when we were dropped off in front of the hilton how beautiful it looked :)

I may look into it next time

There is a red trolley. We only took it on the way back from Bayside and it dropped me off right in front of the Hilton.

If you google Miami trolley it should pop up. Also I'm pretty sure if you asked the receptionist at the hotel they can give you directions to the stop.

The Marriott Biscayne Bay is behind the Hilton and I remember when we were dropped off in front of the hilton how beautiful it looked :)

I may look into it next time

Thanks for the trolley info!

And...how are you feeling today??!!

Thanks for the trolley info!

And...how are you feeling today??!!

Your welcome.

I'm hurting alot more than I thought. Stayed home from work today and may stay home tomorrow. I'm not sure who told me this was an easy surgery but if this is what they call easy I'm scared for a more intense one. :)

Thank goodness for pain medicine ;)

Your welcome.

I'm hurting alot more than I thought. Stayed home from work today and may stay home tomorrow. I'm not sure who told me this was an easy surgery but if this is what they call easy I'm scared for a more intense one. :)

Thank goodness for pain medicine ;)

So not an easy surgery! But I'm happy that you've decided to stay home tomorrow, too! I stayed off a week after mine...best decision I made!! ;)

So not an easy surgery! But I'm happy that you've decided to stay home tomorrow, too! I stayed off a week after mine...best decision I made!! ;)

I stayed out two weeks. I had the time and I have a very stressful and demanding job. No relapses for me. :)

My daughter, who is 24 weeks pregnant, ended up in the emergency room yesterday as she was in so much pain in her stomach and lower back. Baby is fine, but she is full of gall stones and has to be on a bland diet until her son is born. She was told compared to that, labor should be a breeze.

Enjoying your adventure! Take care, hope you feel better. Jan

My daughter, who is 24 weeks pregnant, ended up in the emergency room yesterday as she was in so much pain in her stomach and lower back. Baby is fine, but she is full of gall stones and has to be on a bland diet until her son is born. She was told compared to that, labor should be a breeze.

Enjoying your adventure! Take care, hope you feel better. Jan

I don't have children yet but someone told me they rather go through child birth again then have another attack!!:eek:

Makes me hopeful I can handle child birth LOL.

I hope she is ok. Must be stressful to be pregnant and have a gallbladder attack.

Saturday Night--

4pm came and left and the ship was still docked. I wondered if we were having some technical issues.

I finally decided that I needed a little nap. There was no point in staying awake for embarkation since at this point it was already 5 and we haven't heard anything.

I also called guest services and they had no idea as to why we haven't left yet but assured me everything was fine.

Our dinner reservations were at 730 so I though an hour and a half nap and an hour to get ready would work.

Before I knew it, we were headed to Ocean Blue. We requested to sit outside so we can have dinner on the waterfront.

We still had not left yet! I asked the waitress if she knew what the hold up was and she said we were missing 56 guests. I'm assuming that either NCL booked the traveling arrangements or the guests were really important like the entertainment or the captain (lol) because I'm pretty sure if I were 5 1/2 hours late, the ship would not wait for me! :)

Ah time to place our order.

I decided to go last since I had all these restrictions.

After everyone ordered it was my turn.

I told the waitress I had a list of things I couldn't eat.

She looked more than happy to help me. Well once I started rattling off my list of "can't haves", her face turned from smiley and happy to concerned and worried. She smiled at me and said I will be right back.

About 5 minutes later the maitre'D showed up and asked me to tell him exactly what I couldn't eat. I smiled and told him the same exact thing I told the waitress. He said of course, no problem.

Another few minutes passed and now the CHEF was at my table LOL. He again asked me what I couldn't eat and then really thought about it and said what would you like me to make you.

I was in a good humor because I can imagine what these people were thinking LOL so I told him to make me what he wanted to. Beggars can't be chosers.

At this point we had left port and we were laughing and having a great time. The waitress became my new best friend and made sure all of my needs were taken care of.

The food came out and everything looked delicious.

The chef actually prepared me boiled grouper with steamed vegetables. Lots of salt though. I actually found this a common theme amongst my meals all week. It was delicious salt and all LOL

Desert I had the sorbet trio. Omg the best strawberry and coconut sorbet I ever had. I'm not sure what the third flavor was but it was bitter and not my favorite. I ate it anyway :rolleyes:

After dinner we decided to walk around the ship. The chandelier was so beautiful.

I also walked alot after eating because it helped soothe my stomach.

1403611173521.jpg.db0634de9bc6b007ad90dc2c2e7f7458.jpg

1403611216904.jpg.55c46fc5257da43199ef0f5947b09021.jpg

1403611249109.jpg.add1826fb5982757785e0c39512034e5.jpg

I don't have children yet but someone told me they rather go through child birth again then have another attack!!

I had my attacks, and then my surgery, just ten months after my son was born. It was definitely worse than the labor.

Edited by cadien

Saturday Night--

4pm came and left and the ship was still docked. I wondered if we were having some technical issues.

I finally decided that I needed a little nap. There was no point in staying awake for embarkation since at this point it was already 5 and we haven't heard anything.

I also called guest services and they had no idea as to why we haven't left yet but assured me everything was fine.

Our dinner reservations were at 730 so I though an hour and a half nap and an hour to get ready would work.

Before I knew it, we were headed to Ocean Blue. We requested to sit outside so we can have dinner on the waterfront.

We still had not left yet! I asked the waitress if she knew what the hold up was and she said we were missing 56 guests. I'm assuming that either NCL booked the traveling arrangements or the guests were really important like the entertainment or the captain (lol) because I'm pretty sure if I were 5 1/2 hours late, the ship would not wait for me! :)

Ah time to place our order.

I decided to go last since I had all these restrictions.

After everyone ordered it was my turn.

I told the waitress I had a list of things I couldn't eat.

She looked more than happy to help me. Well once I started rattling off my list of "can't haves", her face turned from smiley and happy to concerned and worried. She smiled at me and said I will be right back.

About 5 minutes later the maitre'D showed up and asked me to tell him exactly what I couldn't eat. I smiled and told him the same exact thing I told the waitress. He said of course, no problem.

Another few minutes passed and now the CHEF was at my table LOL. He again asked me what I couldn't eat and then really thought about it and said what would you like me to make you.

I was in a good humor because I can imagine what these people were thinking LOL so I told him to make me what he wanted to. Beggars can't be chosers.

At this point we had left port and we were laughing and having a great time. The waitress became my new best friend and made sure all of my needs were taken care of.

The food came out and everything looked delicious.

The chef actually prepared me boiled grouper with steamed vegetables. Lots of salt though. I actually found this a common theme amongst my meals all week. It was delicious salt and all LOL

Desert I had the sorbet trio. Omg the best strawberry and coconut sorbet I ever had. I'm not sure what the third flavor was but it was bitter and not my favorite. I ate it anyway :rolleyes:

After dinner we decided to walk around the ship. The chandelier was so beautiful.

I also walked alot after eating because it helped soothe my stomach.

I hope it was "broiled grouper" and not "boiled grouper"....... From the second I read the words boiled grouper I couldn't stop laughing, thinking of my Scotch upbringing where every meat is "boiled" to perfection.......not!!!!!!!