HAL's Mariner Perks and Rewards

jaguarstyper

The Five Star Mariners Perks are nice and I like them but I was loyal to HAL before the Star Mariner Program came into existence and would still be loyal to HAL without the added 'goodies'. Of course, if they took them away I'd squawk. :D

I love HAL's crews, beautiful ships, lovely dinner service, Rosenthal china, Pinnacle Service plates, I like the comfortable cabins and verandahs, Neptune Lounge, the larger than average bathrooms, the better than average Lido, aft deck pool areas but most of all it is the people of HAL I like the best.

!!!! Sail, you said it!

It's where so many of our friends are. And thinking of what we've spent just think what my 2,300 days cost...but that's less than my partner Chris' 2,700 plus days.

This has been an interesting thread -almost unique when viewed in the larger Cruise Critic context. There is strong general agreement on several points:

1) We would all like better perks.

2) We all have a great fondness for HAL, in spite of minor glitches.

3) We all seem to continue sailing with HAL in spite of the fact that they fail to grant the sorts of perks given by their competitors.

My conclusion: just possibly HAL knows what they are doing in this area - much as I hate to give up a complaint.

!!!! Sail, you said it!

It's where so many of our friends are. And thinking of what we've spent just think what my 2,300 days cost...but that's less than my partner Chris' 2,700 plus days.

It really is 'all about the people'.

I teased with my PCC to never tell me the total of what we spent with HAL. I never want to

know that number. :D :eek: But I don't regret one penny of it!! Many of our very best times

and people we care about greatly are on those 'dam' ships.

Of course, my numbers pale in comparison to yours and Chris'. I a virtual 'newbie' by comparison.

Edited by sail7seas

This has been an interesting thread -almost unique when viewed in the larger Cruise Critic context. There is strong general agreement on several points:

1) We would all like better perks.

2) We all have a great fondness for HAL, in spite of minor glitches.

3) We all seem to continue sailing with HAL in spite of the fact that they fail to grant the sorts of perks given by their competitors.

My conclusion: just possibly HAL knows what they are doing in this area - much as I hate to give up a complaint.

Oh, they seems to know what they are doing.

They are competing with the other lines, in that they do have some rewards, whereas before the star program they had almost nothing for anyone.

They know they have to compete somewhat, but they also know they have a loyal following and don't have to offer very much.

At the lower levels where pax have not yet spent very much on HAL they don't have to give a lot.

Giving points for spending and suites boosts pax up faster into the area where they have paid a lot, so more rewards for those.

A win-win situation for HAL.

Really very clever, because they are not throwing rewards at pax who have not substantially increased HAL's bottom line, as some lines seem to be doing. For example on NCL 75 days gets you "extremely generous benefits", whereas on HAL you need at least 200 point to get into that description.

It is all about profit and HAL has this figured out quite well.

Oh, they seems to know what they are doing.

They are competing with the other lines, in that they do have some rewards, whereas before the star program they had almost nothing for anyone.

They know they have to compete somewhat, but they also know they have a loyal following and don't have to offer very much.

At the lower levels where pax have not yet spent very much on HAL they don't have to give a lot.

Giving points for spending and suites boosts pax up faster into the area where they have paid a lot, so more rewards for those.

A win-win situation for HAL.

Really very clever, because they are not throwing rewards at pax who have not substantially increased HAL's bottom line, as some lines seem to be doing. For example on NCL 75 days gets you "extremely generous benefits", whereas on HAL you need at least 200 point to get into that description.

It is all about profit and HAL has this figured out quite well.

While I agree with some of what you said, we would not call our 4 Star Benefits "extremely generous." In fact, we are at similar levels on quite a few other lines and the perks we get from HAL are the worst of the lot. And on our last few HAL cruises we have not even bothered to attend most of the Mariners Club functions because they were either at inconvenient times or we did not think it was worth getting dressed and waiting in a queue. But we continue to cruise on HAL because of the itineraries (we said this in an earlier post) and the fact that its a pretty decent cruise line. I should add that there was one 4 Star Mariners Club benefit which we loved, but it only happened on the Prinsendam on one Grand Cruise. Captain Gundersen decided he was going to invite every 4 Star passenger to his cabin for cocktails (and socializing with him and his senior officers). There were about 400 4 Star Mariners (out of 585 passengers) on that cruise but he managed to pull it off by having an awful lot of small parties. It was a great touch...from our favorite HAL Captain (now retired).

The only cruise line where we find that perks attractive enough to alter our booking behavior is with Celebrity. They really go overboard (bad choice of words) to take care of their Elites (which is a lot easier to achieve then 4 Stars on HAL). When Celebrity has a comparable itinerary to HAL's, we will generally choose that line.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'd hardly call the perks and rewards "lavish". That said, I'll take any little extras the cruise line is willing to give me, but I mainly cruise HAL for other reasons.

Roz

Yeah Roz, I know. I threw in the word lavish for comedic effect. ;)

Trying to keep it light, ya know.

I totally agree with you, we are also Elite on Celebrity and they compare very well with HAL in terms of food and staff, so if the itinerary was close we would certainly go with Celebrity as they treat their Elite members very well. Free laundry, free dry cleaning, free internet, pre dinner drinks, priority tender, etc, etc. etc. It is nice to be rewarded for loyalty.

I accept the perques given as a bonus, as that's all they are. I would still sail HAL if there were no perques, but do enjoy the benefits of being a 5* Mariner. And I am really looking forward to having that platinum medallion draped around my neck. :D

How many more days before you reach that milestone Ruth? :)

How many more days before you reach that milestone Ruth? :)

I would have to double check the count to be sure, but it's less than 100. Something in the neighborhood of 80, I think? :confused:

If I've counted correctly, I will reach the milestone on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the trans-At in '15. On the same cruise I will also complete the fleet, and will have sailed all 15 current ships! :D

I would have to double check the count to be sure, but it's less than 100. Something in the neighborhood of 80, I think? :confused:

If I've counted correctly, I will reach the milestone on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the trans-At in '15. On the same cruise I will also complete the fleet, and will have sailed all 15 current ships! :D

What a nice combination of milestones.

Great cruise, too. Good for you, Ruth!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about it.

How very special.

We will all be there with you in spirit if not in person.

What a nice milestone to look forward to.

I have one more ship to sail before I'll complete the fleet........ Prinsendam. At the moment, I have no plans to sail her.

We sailed the Rotterdam in South Pacific and came to know a lady who was being honored for 800 days! Talk about loyalty!

And Mama Lou, who we got to know on the Veendam one year, had so many medals dangling from her walker that I couldn't even count them.

Yes, I agree most sail HAL for what it is, not the benefits.

However, most of us are over 65 and these most loyal folks I just mentioned are over 80. At some point the current marketing strategy may need to be changed as we become less able to travel.

Since someone else quoted it, I will define the "extremely generous" benefits we got at 75 days on NCL. They are two free specialty dinners with wine per person (not cabin), free wine, chocolate strawberries and box of Godiva chocolates at embarkation, priority tender, free laundry (one bag per person, not unlimited), two receptions, plus some others I haven't ever used like ship's tour. We do look there first but sail other lines we like as itineraries are limited. Different marketing models but both seem to work.

Having sailed HAL only once, we definitely aren't drawn back because of Mariner status. ;) We have fairly decent levels of rewards on other lines, but we only cruise once a year so itinerary and price are our main criteria. That said, we did enjoy our HAL cruise a couple years ago and are eagerly looking forward to our second HAL cruise, booked for Feb.

We book HAL primarily for their itineraries ... the perks are just that, perks. Free laundry is nice and helps keep packing down on the longer cruises.

We're Diamond on Royal C, and I'm not even sure what the perks are, other than a balcony discount. That also makes us Elite (I think!) on Celebrity but we've only had one cruise with them and have our second booked for next January

If we want to go exploring, we look at HAL first. If we want to get out of the winter, we look at Royal C first.. We look at the itinerary and then the price

We book HAL primarily for their itineraries ... the perks are just that, perks. Free laundry is nice and helps keep packing down on the longer cruises.

We're Diamond on Royal C, and I'm not even sure what the perks are, other than a balcony discount. That also makes us Elite (I think!) on Celebrity but we've only had one cruise with them and have our second booked for next January

If we want to go exploring, we look at HAL first. If we want to get out of the winter, we look at Royal C first.. We look at the itinerary and then the price

You are a virtuous person, Lady Chew. Everyone I've met that has that high a status on either Celebrity or RCCL has bragged about the free booze reception before dinner. We prefer to sail HAL and NCL but will sail Celebrity or RCCL it the itinerary/price is favorable. I agree, itinerary and price and the determining factors, but I must confess to calculating how many more points we'll need after our upcoming Celebrity cruises before we reach Elite...and the free booze, lol.

Edited by HokiePoq

I like the way you think. Thanks for posting.

I started a thread about how much we saved from Mariner rewards.

Serendipity1499 asked that I post the numbers on this thread, too.

This was 33 day cruise. We are 5 Stars.

We saved a total of $712.00, of which $257.00 was from the 5 star rewards.

This is $21.58 per day. Not much, but it is $712.00 in our pockets.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow cruisers !

After seven years of fidelity with Holland America, I've finally received my fourth stars today ! The perks seems to be about the laundry and the wine packages.

I love cruising HA on their blue haul ships ! Truly maritime !

Holacanada from Quebec City

A little question here : what's means «air deviation fees» ?

Edited by holacanada

• 1 year later...

My husband and I are 4-star Mariner with over 200+ days at sea with Holland America. We book our cruises directly with Holland rather than using a TA. We also constantly monitor pricing on HAL's website to book the best deal. My 89 year old grandmother is a 1 star Mariner having sailed only one cruise in her lifetime and hasn't sailed with HAL for 3+ years. She receives "Private Sail" mailings from HAL offering the same sailings at $100 or more than my 4-star Mariner price. We have also recently noticed that on the majority of occasions, our 4-star Mariner price is the same as the non-Mariner price.

Having worked in Marketing for years at a large US corporation, I suspect that HAL is targeting my grandmother with special pricing in an effort to entice her to cruise more with them, but come on! Perhaps HAL views its loyal Mariners as a captive audience who will continue to sail with them regardless of price? Of course HAL's pricing practice is purely legal. But in my opinion, it is a despicable and a slap in the face to its loyal Mariners.