Your favourite pre dinner cocktail ?

Delboy1

Ratio lime to vodka please? it sounds really good!

We use 2 oz of vodka to the juice of one lime. Not sure, but maybe about an ounce (depends on the lime~ I like it very limey!), then fill the glass with ginger ale. :) Serve in a tall glass with lots of ice and wedge of lime. So good!!!:D

Thanks for the Ginger Beer tip! I've never tasted that before, but love the idea of more ginger flavor.

We use 2 oz of vodka to the juice of one lime. Not sure, but maybe about an ounce (depends on the lime~ I like it very limey!), then fill the glass with ginger ale. :) Serve in a tall glass with lots of ice and wedge of lime. So good!!!:D

Thanks for the Ginger Beer tip! I've never tasted that before, but love the idea of more ginger flavor.

Yes, the usual Mule is made with Ginger Beer...I squeeze some lime juice, then muddle some mint leaves, add vodka and then Ginger Beer.

My normal before dinner drink is a Bombay Sapphire dirty martini, though I do tend to like them a little more on the filthy side...LOL

But, then again, I've never met a martini I didn't like.

A recent favorite is tequila and soda with LOTS of fresh lime. Very refreshing.

If I feel like something sweet such as a Margarita, I order the same but ask the bartender to add Cointreau.

Edited by TravelKnitter

Faced with a long list of cocktails I rarely feel adventurous enough to go beyond ordering a Martini or a Gin and Tonic. What am I missing out on ?

My choice would vary from day to day, depending on what types of drinks we had that afternoon (and morning). On our last cruise we had bought a drink package so we were sampling a lot of things that we never would have ordered if we were paying drink by drink. We definitely got our money's worth.

If I have to pick one, I'll go with Grey Goose & Tonic. In fact, I think I'll leave work early and have one right now!

Ratio lime to vodka please? it sounds really good!

Our recipe is 2 parts ginger beer (2 12oz bottles), 1 part vodka (12oz), couple tablespoons of simple syrup (or to taste), juice of a couple lemons and a couple limes (or to taste). I usually add some lemon juice to my simple syrup. Mix all ingredients together and serve over ice. Very light and refreshing, but too many and it will kick you like a mule!

We first had a Moscow Mule at the International Hotel in New Orleans where they make their own ginger beer. OMG soooooooo good. Haven't quite been able to duplicate it with the store bought ginger beer, but it's close.

Edited by olemissreb

has anyone tried Effen cucumber vodka? I sniffed it and liked the smell [couldn't have alcohol at the time] and wonder what kind of cocktail it would be good in....

A variation on a Bloody Mary perhaps?

Gin Gimlet

another vote for a Moscow Mule

Lemon martini (limoncello and vodka + other stuff)

Apple sour martini

any other martini on the menu that takes my fancy!

after dinner - it depends

Espresso Martini

Single Malt Scotch (Glenmorangie or Glenlivet)

Cognac or Armagnac

Our recipe is 2 parts ginger beer (2 12oz bottles), 1 part vodka (12oz), couple tablespoons of simple syrup (or to taste), juice of a couple lemons and a couple limes (or to taste). I usually add some lemon juice to my simple syrup. Mix all ingredients together and serve over ice. Very light and refreshing, but too many and it will kick you like a mule!

We first had a Moscow Mule at the International Hotel in New Orleans where they make their own ginger beer. OMG soooooooo good. Haven't quite been able to duplicate it with the store bought ginger beer, but it's close.

Tried the ginger beer. Maybe it was the brand, but tasted like straight squeezed ginger. Way too strong for me and I like ginger. I'll try a different brand, but prefer ginger ale to what I tried last night. :)

Tried the ginger beer. Maybe it was the brand, but tasted like straight squeezed ginger. Way too strong for me and I like ginger. I'll try a different brand, but prefer ginger ale to what I tried last night. :)

I use Reed's. It is very gingery. But if it is to strong, stick with Ginger Ale if you like a lighter taste.

• 4 weeks later...
Faced with a long list of cocktails I rarely feel adventurous enough to go beyond ordering a Martini or a Gin and Tonic. What am I missing out on ?

I may not be anymore adventurous than you. I cruise Princess and like to go to Crooner's Martini bar for a straight up Vodka Martini served with a freebie olive tray.:D:D:D A drink and appetizer in one!

We got some just recently that was labeled "Extra Ginger Beer" by Reeds and that was too gingery for me, so I just added some extra simple syrup and more lemon & lime juice. It was brown in color and not at all like the regular Reeds Ginger Beer which is very light in color (similar in color to regular Ginger Ale).

There is also something in my store that is called Vita Malt Ginger Beer and that stuff is nasty! (to me anyway) It is a very dark brown in color and nothing I did could get rid of the very ginger, malty taste.

I hope you'll try again with a different brand of ginger beer. I think you'll be surprised at the difference in the brands- I know I was.

Edited by olemissreb