#1 Complaint on NCL

johnql

What is your #1 complaint concerning NCL cruising?  

457 members have voted

1. 1. What is your #1 complaint concerning NCL cruising?

• Chair hogs (including your opinion on how NCL either does or doesn't enforce its own rules)
    • Smoking policy (e.g., allowed in too many places or not enough venues)
    • Automatic daily service charge instead of traditional tipping
    • Quality and diversity of food in restaurants (MDRs, buffet and specialty)
    • Shipboard customer service issues (e.g., wait staff, guest services, stewards, etc.)
    • Land-based customer service issues (e.g., PCC, cs reps)
    • Alcohol policy (e.g., wine allowed but no beer and hard liquor; corkage policy)
    • Entertainment (e.g., quality, diversity, cost)
    • Cost of cruise fare
    • Too much nickel-and-diming (if possible, please specify)
    • No self-service laundry rooms
    • Other passengers (e.g., rude behavior, public drunkenness, etc.)
    • Other (please specify)
    • None of the above (i.e., nothing really bothers me to the point where I felt I needed to complain)

My only complaint is smoking. If it were up to me, smoking would be totally banned shipboard.

Now the most common complaint that I have heard/read is that Norwegian is a "nickel and dime" cruise line. I fail to see this. If people actually DO research, they will find that Norwegian actually has the largest amount of INCLUDED restaurants out of all the majors. And I fail to see how $16 pp/pd for unlimited specialty restaurant dining when taking advantage of the UDP is "outrageous". IMHO is is very fair.

I just voted 'other' because I am not a fan when NCL pulls a cruise out from under you when you are already booked, and do a 'charter'; especially when you have other plans around the cruise time, and it may cost you extra $$$ to fix things, and you only receive a small amount of OBC from NCL for the 'inconvenience'.

I had this happen twice this year so it is a sensitive topic. ;)

Must have been a gremlin, it does seem to work now. Interesting read. FYU I was not doubting that thsi type of thing happens. I have family who are fire fighters. I know all too well how destructive a cigarette can be other than the horrid health implications for the smoker and those around him as well.

The problem with cigarette fires is the evidence is destroyed. Yes, though it was not proven indisputably, investigators do believe a cigarette caused the Star Princess fire, based on unarguable circumstances. I know some of the people involved in that case and they are certain.

I won't name names, but a cigarette is also thought to be the cause of a much more recent cruise ship fire. I'll keep my sources to myself for now. ;)

So yes, balcony smoking is also my #1 complaint about NCL.

Will be on my first NCL cruise in September in a balcony room. I did not read through this entire thread, but I voted for smoking based on my understanding that smoking is allowed on balconies. If that is the case, it will likely be my biggest complaint regarding my upcoming cruise. No matter what else I may be dissatisfied with (honestly, I'm not that hard to please) if I have to put up with someone's disgusting cigarette or cigar, I will be very unhappy.

Will be on my first NCL cruise in September in a balcony room. I did not read through this entire thread, but I voted for smoking based on my understanding that smoking is allowed on balconies. If that is the case, it will likely be my biggest complaint regarding my upcoming cruise. No matter what else I may be dissatisfied with (honestly, I'm not that hard to please) if I have to put up with someone's disgusting cigarette or cigar, I will be very unhappy.

Yes, smoking is authorized by NCL on the balcony. I guess you're going to be unhappy then because of it but if I might ask, if you are going to be unhappy before you even get on the cruise, why sail with NCL? There are other lines (Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, etc...) that don't allow smoking on their balconies so why not sail with one of them?

Because I was limited to September for my cruise to Alaska. RCI does not offer Alaskan cruises in September, or you can surely bet that is what I would be sailing. Also, I never gave a thought to a cruise line having such an antiquated policy regarding smoking nowadays.

Edited by MaryL31

Because I was limited to September for my cruise to Alaska. RCI does not offer Alaskan cruises in September, or you can surely bet that is what I would be sailing. Also, I never gave a thought to a cruise line having such an antiquated policy regarding smoking nowadays.

I don't see how providing your customers what they want is antiquated?

As an FYI, with an Alaskan cruise, more people will spend time on their balconies hence a greater chance of having smokers out there as well. Have you thought about just going for an inside or OV and spend time on deck in the non-smoking sections of the deck? It would save you a lot of money as well.

As an FYI, Princess does have Alaska cruises in September and they do not allow smoking on their balconies. Also, RCCL just changed the beginning of this year to get not allow smoking on RCCL's balconies. If you had sailed to Alaska with them last year you would have had smokers out there as well. A little studying about the product you are thinking about buying goes a long way to providing a cruise you are happy with.

Edited by Out to sea!

Just quick background for this upcoming big time complaint. When I took my Norwegian Star Baltic cruise in June, I asked about lobster night because of what I have read in some threads that NCL was now only serving lobster in the buffet one night during the cruise. At tht time, I was told Tuesday night. Fine. They advertised seafood buffet in the daily and the queues at the buffet were jammed even as early as 0530. Fine. Go through the line looking for the lobster tails and no, no lobster tails. There was a lobster/shrimp pasta server at the carving station. It was more pasta than lobster or shrimp. That was it.

That peeved me. Later in the cruise I saw the restaurant manager on the ship and asked him why there were no lobster tails at the seafood buffet. His answer was no more lobster tails and wasn't the lobster/shrimp pasta good? I said no. Anyway I then said from what I read, it was still served at least on the Breakaway.

In any event, just reading somebody's review of a recent Breakaway sailing, was informed they no longer serve lobster tails on teh Breakaway but that same bad substitute i.e. the Lobster/shrimp passta which is more pasta than lobster or shrimp. This now becomes a very big complaint and a mark of contempt for the geese.

I only have five issues with NCL.

1. Smoking is allowed in too many places

2. Smoking is allowed in too many places

3. Smoking is allowed in too many places

4. Smoking is allowed in too many places

5. Smoking is allowed in too many places

Otherwise, no problems!

I marked chair hogs, but I don't think my issue is really with NCL but rather with humans.

I'd also say lack of diversity in itineraries. We were hoping to book another Caribbean cruise late spring next year, but the ONLY ship & itinerary to the Caribbean is Getaway to the Eastern Caribbean. Since we just did that, we were hoping for something sailing western, but there is nothing else for the months of May and June.

The only one that bothers me a little is the alcohol policy. Other cruise lines allow one bottle of wine per person to enjoy in your cabin. It's my understanding that NCL will charge you a corkage fee, even if it's solely for use in your cabin. If I'm understanding this incorrectly, I'd appreciate an explanation.

Well I haven't cruised yet on NCL BUT, customer service is AWFUL! Waiting on the phone for 20 to 30 min. Still not get issue resolved. Have to call back 2 to 3 times to finally get it resolved. Then, send an email saying we can upgrade. Call, another 40 minute wait and then to find out that "well no, your not in the right category" . According to the email, yes we were. So again, not resolved. So my number 1 complaint so far would be customer service. By the way, this is not my first cruise or cruise line and have never had such problems with customer service.

I would say that the entertainment on the Epic med cruise wasn't as good as we expected - but maybe most of that feeling was because of the BMG (that admittedly we didn't "get") - but I wouldn't say that I "complain" about it. In fact, I wouldn't complain about anything on our NCL cruises (albeit only 2) not because Im a cheerleader, just because I love to cruise and there are plenty of other things in life worth moaning about and cruising isn't one of them...although it would be nice if they were cheaper and we could have more :D :D :D

I chose chair hogs. It drives me crazy to go up on deck and have to wander around looking for chairs, while so many sit empty with an item or towel tossed on them. It kills me when you notice some chairs sit empty for hours on end because someone got up early and "reserved" it for later after they roll out of bed have a late leisurely breakfast and do whatever else they need to and meanwhile there are people ready to use the chairs who can't find a spot. NCL is hit and miss with enforcement. I have been on cruises where the dots were used and enforced and others where the staff would just shrug and say there was nothing they could do when someone complained.

I chose chair hogs. It drives me crazy to go up on deck and have to wander around looking for chairs, while so many sit empty with an item or towel tossed on them. It kills me when you notice some chairs sit empty for hours on end because someone got up early and "reserved" it for later after they roll out of bed have a late leisurely breakfast and do whatever else they need to and meanwhile there are people ready to use the chairs who can't find a spot. NCL is hit and miss with enforcement. I have been on cruises where the dots were used and enforced and others where the staff would just shrug and say there was nothing they could do when someone complained.

What dots?

The only one that bothers me a little is the alcohol policy. Other cruise lines allow one bottle of wine per person to enjoy in your cabin. It's my understanding that NCL will charge you a corkage fee, even if it's solely for use in your cabin. If I'm understanding this incorrectly, I'd appreciate an explanation.

No, you understand correctly. You are charged a $15 corkage fee for every 750ml bottle you bring on, paid for just before boarding. If you do not open one (or more) you receive the corkage fee back at the end of the cruise. Nice thing is that you can bring more than 1 mottle of wine on board with you.

NCL at one time had a "Blue Dot" campaign. They would put a blue dot (sticky paper) on a chair and after 30 minutes or so they would remove the contents of the chair to make it available for another customer.

Good idea...