Just returned from June 14, 2014 Baltic Cruise

Waterslade

We just returned from the Baltic cruise departing from Copenhagen. It was a wonderful cruise. Places to see that you've only read about. The weather was not ideal, most ports were rainy and it was chilly but the sights more than made up for the weather. We did HOHO buses in almost all the ports as well as lots of walking. The walking part was not too bad and we managed quite well. We did do a deluxe 2 day tour with SPB, tour guide Alex, that was excellent, in St. Petersburg. We also did the transfers from the ship to the airport w/Princess, at $44.00 each. It was the best money spent. They gathered our bags the night before disembarking, they had given out color tags for your luggage and a detailed list of the times for the disembarkation. It went flawlessly. The bags were at the airport when we arrived and we went in to an enclosed area picked up the luggage and off we went to our airline. Copenhagen is a "silent" airport, which means they do not announce your flight, you must check the board yourself. The gate is not put up until maybe 1 hour before takeoff. The gates are about 10-15 minute walk from the main terminal, and you must still go through immigration. All very painless. A few things about the cruise itself. There were a lot of new crew on board and some things were not quite as smooth as usual. This was our third time on the Royal, a beautiful ship. Our cabin steward, Pia, was wonderful. The bartender in the lounge on Deck 5, Ronald was terrific. Remembered our names after the first visit, as well as our preferred drinks. Makes a great very dirty vodka martini. Our dining room waiter was not very good. He got better as the cruise went on, but I could not recommend him. He would serve half the table and then start on another table, then come back to us. The first night we never got our dinner until 9:45 pm(traditional dining--Allegro DR). Some nights he wouldn't remember coffee. And maybe he would also forget to bring something you ordered. Our dining room was pretty empty except on formal night. We did also eat in the Crown Grill which was excellent. The combo that played in the Wheelhouse was very good. The folklore show in Russia in the Princess Theatre was wonderful. I should also mention the in Copenhagen, Aarhus, Oslo they would accept Euro dollars(paper money). They will not accept coins and they will not give you change in either euros or kronas. They will round up the amount, for instance if something is 6 euros, they will only accept a 10 euro note, or 2-5 euros, and not give change. We walked away from a couple of vendors in these countries. Can't think of anything else but if there are questions, I'll try and answer them.

Well, considering that the Euro is not the official currency of Denmark, Sweden, or Norway, you're lucky they accepted it at all. Next time, if you want change, pay in the proper currency.

Politely put. NOT!

Thanks for the Review. We board next month and are very excited.

Last year on the Royal, we had fixed dining early, had the worst wait

staff we ever had on a cruise. Between courses(and it took very long), dirty dishes remained on the table. It got so bad that one night I gathered up the plates myself (table for 6). Wow, the Waitress came running at that point.I meant it as a joke, not to upset the wait staff. Eventually we did say something to the Head Waiter. He sent additional help .

Sorry if I implied that we were trying to pay for everything in euros. We did not, but we travel Europe every year and that is what we brought along with Norweigan Kronas. Any meals or souvenirs we paid for w/credit card. The item we were trying to buy on one occasion was gelato. They would only except a 10 euro or 2-5 euros for a 6 euro ice cream cone. DH didn't think an icream cone was worth 10 euro, when you can get it in Italy(real gelato) for 2-3 euros. I will sgain tell you that these Baltic countries are very expensive. Stockholm being the exception, much more reasonable than the others. We had a small , 4 slice pizza, at a cafe across from where the give the Nobel Peace Prize, the pizza, bottle of beer and one glass of wine came out to $70 USD. in Oslo. That was typical of the pricing in these countries.

Thanks for your review. We'll be taking this cruise in August. Can you tell us:

1) which nights were formal nights; and

2) was ship time the same as the port where you arrived.

nisky

Hi:

Formal nights are your sea days and when in port you stay on ships time. There were 2 nights in a row where you moved the clock forward and then on your return moved back. Have a great cruise. These ports are amazing.

We are doing this cruise next year on the Regal. I don't know how I will ever get through the next 11-months, 3-weeks waiting. Thanks for the warning about how expensive it is. I had heard to expect high prices, but 6 euros for an ice cream cone? $70 for pizza-Wow! I expect we will be eating hearty breakfasts on board to save funds.

Does Aarhus have a HOHO bus? I would not have expected that based on the little information I have read so far about the port. Right now the plan is to do HOHO in some ports, independent arranged tours in a few other places, and maybe 1 or 2 ship tours (Husband wants to do the train ride in Helsinki).

If you think of anything else please share.

One question. Did you use the Enclave or talked with anyone that did? Do you know the price for cruise duration, and if it was difficult to get the passes?

I have a question about the Copenhagen cruise terminal. We've boarded twice with Princess now. In Alaska, the terminal was crowded and hot with long lines. In Barcelona, it was bright, cool, and boarding took virtually no time. What was it like in Copenhagen?

Thanks for all the other input. I had no idea it would be THAT expensive.

Am concerned/puzzled with our tours and the ship staying on ship's time. We are doing St. Petersburg outside of a Princess tour (like you), and am getting concerned about getting back to the ship in time.

Ann

Am concerned/puzzled with our tours and the ship staying on ship's time. We are doing St. Petersburg outside of a Princess tour (like you), and am getting concerned about getting back to the ship in time.

Ship's time was local time for all ports when we did the Baltic on Princess.

Edited by caribill

Ann

If you are booked with any of the St. Petersburg tour operators discussed on these boards, you shouldn't be concerned about making it back to the ship in time. These folks make their living from cruise ship passengers, and a missed departure would be so broadly shared that it could ruin their business. The company we used make sure to get us back in plenty of time before sailaway on day 2, and planned the faraway portions of the tours on day 1. No need to worry!

If you are booked with any of the St. Petersburg tour operators discussed on these boards, you shouldn't be concerned about making it back to the ship in time. These folks make their living from cruise ship passengers, and a missed departure would be so broadly shared that it could ruin their business. The company we used make sure to get us back in plenty of time before sailaway on day 2, and planned the faraway portions of the tours on day 1. No need to worry!

Thanks for the reassurances. We are booked with one of the tours spoken highly of on this board and others. I just get a little worried about some things.

Ann

formal night is on the first sea day and the day port in Helsinki

Thanks very much. This sounds like it may be the case for our cruise. Our first sea day is Day 5 and Helsinki is day 9 (after two days in St. Petersburg).

Our second sea day is the day 11 (last day on ship) so I'm pretty sure it won't be that one on our cruise.

nisky

Hi:

Formal nights are your sea days and when in port you stay on ships time. There were 2 nights in a row where you moved the clock forward and then on your return moved back. Have a great cruise. These ports are amazing.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong; but, it has been my experience that Princess always? adjusts shipboard time to local port time.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong; but, it has been my experience that Princess always? adjusts shipboard time to local port time.

There are a few exceptions elsewhere, but in the Baltic local time will equal ship's time.

We did this cruise 2 years ago. The ship time is the port time. There are several time changes on this itinerary. We did a private tour with Alla in St. Petersberg. Well worth the money. The small van zipped us in and out of tight parking spots and we got to see SO MUCH MORE. The only glitch on that tour was the family who didn't set their clocks correctly and had the rest of us waiting for them to get off the ship. We finally left without them and they had to take a taxi to catch up with us.

This was one of our favorite itineraries. You will have a great time!