Just off wonderful Summit cruise to Bermuda this morning

redjetz

We disembarked this morning, having had a wonderful cruise. While I still like the S class ships better, we did book this cruise again for next summer.

In no particular order:

-- we found the food in the MDR to be good across the board and very good at times. We dined in Normandie the first night (30% off, and to avoid the usual commotion in the MDR on embarkation day). Service in the MDR was good, with the exception of one of the sommeliers.

-- Bistro on 5 didn't open until 2:30 on embarkation day, which initially was disappointing as that meant the buffet. I really dislike buffets as I have seen too much bad behavior by fellow cruisers, but we ended up there several times for lunch or breakfast this trip because of the addition of the pre- plated offerings. Big plus in my book. There are still plenty of offerings where you can serve yourself if you want.

-- we liked the new entree offerings in Bistro on 5 for dinner. Great option when you don't want to change for dinner or want something a bit faster.

-- Cafe al Bacio continues to be a great spot for lattes, wine, pastries. Arline was a terrific waitress/barista!(I still miss having the tea sandwiches in the cafe in the afternoon).

-- Celebrity set up several TV screens in the Rendezvous lounge on Tuesday so that we could gather and watch the US vs Belgium in the World Cup. It was fun to watch in a group, even though the US lost.

-- somewhat oddly, the Martini Bar was consistently "off." The drinks were poorly made, by several different bartenders, which we have never experienced in 8 Celebrity cruises. We finally decamped for the Rendezvous bar where the drinks were well made, including the new craft cocktails.

-- never made it to the elite breakfast or happy hour so can't comment.

-- our cabin attendant, Jorge, took excellent care of us. Never saw the assistant - it felt like there has been a cutback in attendants.

-- nothing good to say about the clods next door in 8096, who continued to smoke on their balcony after being requested to stop by security.

-- security teams helped the pool butlers keep children out of the adult Solarium (we saw a few parents who ignored the pool butlers until security showed up and emphasized that, yes, the 'adults only' requirement did actually apply to their family, too)

Finally, though we had seas of 13 to 15 feet coming back to NJ due to the after effects of Hurricane Arthur, we fared well. I am committed to continuing to book a mid-ship cabin, though!

Celebrity continues to offer a good product and experience for the money, we think, so the onboard "all in" promotion to book Bermuda next year and get OBC, paid gratuities, and classic beverage package was a no brainer for us!

Happy to answer any questions.

Hi Redjetz,

Thanks for sharing your informative insights with us. Glad that you had a great time on Summit. Welcome Home !

Thanks for the report. Which cabin did you have booked? I'm disappointed to hear about the smoking on the balconies- that would be very frustrating for me.

We disembarked this morning, having had a wonderful cruise. While I still like the S class ships better, we did book this cruise again for next summer.

In no particular order:

-- we found the food in the MDR to be good across the board and very good at times. We dined in Normandie the first night (30% off, and to avoid the usual commotion in the MDR on embarkation day). Service in the MDR was good, with the exception of one of the sommeliers.

-- Bistro on 5 didn't open until 2:30 on embarkation day, which initially was disappointing as that meant the buffet. I really dislike buffets as I have seen too much bad behavior by fellow cruisers, but we ended up there several times for lunch or breakfast this trip because of the addition of the pre- plated offerings. Big plus in my book. There are still plenty of offerings where you can serve yourself if you want.

-- we liked the new entree offerings in Bistro on 5 for dinner. Great option when you don't want to change for dinner or want something a bit faster.

-- Cafe al Bacio continues to be a great spot for lattes, wine, pastries. Arline was a terrific waitress/barista!(I still miss having the tea sandwiches in the cafe in the afternoon).

-- Celebrity set up several TV screens in the Rendezvous lounge on Tuesday so that we could gather and watch the US vs Belgium in the World Cup. It was fun to watch in a group, even though the US lost.

-- somewhat oddly, the Martini Bar was consistently "off." The drinks were poorly made, by several different bartenders, which we have never experienced in 8 Celebrity cruises. We finally decamped for the Rendezvous bar where the drinks were well made, including the new craft cocktails.

-- our cabin attendant, Jorge, took excellent care of us. Never saw the assistant - it felt like there has been a cutback in attendants.

-- nothing good to say about the clods next door in 8096, who continued to smoke on their balcony after being requested to stop by security.

-- security teams helped the pool butlers keep children out of the adult Solarium (we saw a few parents who ignored the pool butlers until security showed up and emphasized that, yes, the 'adults only' requirement did actually apply to their family, too)

Finally, though we had seas of 13 to 15 feet coming back to NJ due to the after effects of Hurricane Arthur, we fared well. I am committed to continuing to book a mid-ship cabin, though!

Celebrity continues to offer a good product and experience for the money, we think, so the onboard "all in" promotion to book Bermuda next year and get OBC, paid gratuities, and classic beverage package was a no brainer for us!

We were on the Summit earlier in June and had a great experience as well. This was our first time on the M class (about 7 or 8 S-class cruises) and I wasn't sure how I would like it. But I enjoyed the cruise a lot. The little plates in the buffet were a good idea IMO. We liked that there was more music on the ship, especially in the Sunset Bar. We had select dining and thought the service was fine. We did have to wait a couple of times, but only about 15 min -- no biggie.

I could kick myself for not looking into booking another cruise (which I almost always do). Afterwards I found out about the great deal of getting all 3 of the 123GO offerings if you booked about Bermuda cruise. Enjoy your next one!

I was surprised at the late opening time for Bistro on 5 on embarkation day. Is that a new protocol, or did they just have a late opening for some reason? That is our favorite spot for embarkation lunch as it is so much more peaceful than the buffet.

Thanks for the report. Which cabin did you have booked? I'm disappointed to hear about the smoking on the balconies- that would be very frustrating for me.

We were in 8098, a great location midship.

Although we called security once on the inconsiderate smokers next door, we should have called again when they continued, so that was our error. I have asthma so smoke is more than an annoyance for me.

Thanks, Andy!

I have read here for several years how much people like the crew on Summit, and now I understand. Most of them were like the Bermudians and greeted you whenever you met in the hallways or about the ship.

Also meant to say that Bermuda is now one of my two favorite islands - the people, the beaches, it was all just lovely. On our way back from Hamilton on the #7 bus, it broke down. Instead of waiting for the replacement bus, we walked into the Warwick Post Office and asked a clerk if she would mind calling a taxi for us. The taxi took awhile, and the lady came out a couple times to say she had called the taxi company and to provide an update - really above and beyond. And then the taxi driver turned out to be a fun character and tour guide with great stories, so our interrupted bus ride turned out to be a nice little adventure.

Back in Atlanta after leaving the Summit and our Concierge cabin today. We enjoyed the ship and services. My observations:

1. Celebrity seems to have stopped providing many services as an automatic feature. ie. if you want ice service, be sure to ask for it. If you had it on a previous cruise, ask for it!

2. MDR food and service was great.

3. Normandie and Qsine food and service was great.

4. Entertainment in the Theatre was outstanding.

5. Finding music for dancing was often a challenge.

6. New buffet service was ok. Signage and organization needs improvement.

7. Bar service was great no matter where we went on the ship.

8. Canapies on HAL Zuiderdam are much better than those on the Summit.

9. If you call your room attendant, waiter, bartender, etc by their name, you will get much better service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums 😎

Just wondering when they started giving you all 3 perks for booking on board. We sailed in May and booked for next May but only got OBC and choice of beverage package OR prepaid gratuities, but not both. Not complaining, just curious.

I think they just started offering it. The OBC, btw! Was given instantly for the cruise we were on, not for the next year, but the deposit was for the OBC amount. Still a good deal.

In no particular order:

Just a few of questions. How many formal nights on your Bermuda cruise. How formal were the passengers dressed. Also is the ship in good shape regarding cabin decor etc. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Just wondering when they started giving you all 3 perks for booking on board. We sailed in May and booked for next May but only got OBC and choice of beverage package OR prepaid gratuities, but not both. Not complaining, just curious.

I think it was a new promotion. We were on the 1 June Summit cruise to Bermuda, and if you booked another Bermuda cruise for next year while on this cruise, you got free gratuities, free beverage package, and $100 OBC for our OV cabin. It was a no brainer not to book, especially since it was Bermuda. :)

Although we called security once on the inconsiderate smokers next door, we should have called again when they continued, so that was our error. I have asthma so smoke is more than an annoyance for me.

You should have called again. Protocol (I have a friend who smokes and thinks he can do it anywhere he pleases...) is for the HD to leave a note in the cabin where smoking is detected.

It basically says this is your 1st warning, your 2nd warning will come with a $250 charge to your sea pass account, and 3rd will involve disembarkation at the next port. They take smoking complaint seriously, if they are let to know of the issue.

Agree with Cle-guy - we should have been more aggressive regarding our smoking neighbors- we were the one other time we had the issue.

Regarding the ship - she was in good shape. I know a lot of people have complained on Cruise Critic regarding the bathrooms, but honestly, we thought our room and bath were fine. And just as with other Celebrity ships, the crew was constantly busy painting and with maintenance.

You should have called again. Protocol (I have a friend who smokes and thinks he can do it anywhere he pleases...) is for the HD to leave a note in the cabin where smoking is detected.

It basically says this is your 1st warning, your 2nd warning will come with a $250 charge to your sea pass account, and 3rd will involve disembarkation at the next port. They take smoking complaint seriously, if they are let to know of the issue.

Agree with Cle-guy - we should have been more aggressive regarding our smoking neighbors- we were the one other time we had the issue.

That is really good to know that they take smoking violations seriously. That would really spoil sitting out on the balcony for us. People who think rules don't apply to them make things unpleasant for everyone.

Regarding the ship - she was in good shape. I know a lot of people have complained on Cruise Critic regarding the bathrooms, but honestly, we thought our room and bath were fine. And just as with other Celebrity ships, the crew was constantly busy painting and with maintenance.

On our cruise, they closed the Oceanview Bar for maintenance, painting, woodwork, and the like. My only complaint with the bathrooms was those pesky shower curtains. They always seem to stick to you. :eek::D:D So glad they got it right on the S-Class.

Just a few of questions. How many formal nights on your Bermuda cruise. How formal were the passengers dressed. Also is the ship in good shape regarding cabin decor etc. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

On 7-night cruises, Celebrity has two formal nights and our trip was the same. We were disappointed in the poor choices a number of people made in dining in the MDR on formal night. Most people made An effort to step it up, not strictly "formal" but nicer than smart casual, which we think is fine.

But there was an unfortunate number of people who simply had no respect for themselves or others and wore shorts, ripped jeans and sloppy shirts to formal night dinner. Celebrity needs to adhere to its own standards since some people can't or won't.

Summit is fine, in good shape, well-maintained. It's not as sophisticated and glitzy as Eclipse or the other S class ships, but it's nice!

Just returned from the same cruise. I agree with the others, it was a great cruise. Love the Summit, the staff and Bermuda.

One thing I wanted to mention was that they are hosting a luncheon in Normandie on embarkation day for suite guests. I'm not sure if they also included Aqua Class, but I thought it was a very nice idea. The food was very good and it was nice to have a sit down lunch in a quiet environment as opposed to the buffet.

How did you get the 30% off normandie on the first night?

You have to go to Normandie once your board and see the Maitre'd. They offer a discount on the specialty restaurants to fill them up on the first night.

We are on a Celebrity cruise May 30, 2014 and they had the Bermuda All In offered. We were planning to book Northern Europe cruise. Then we saw the Bermuda cruise and booked 2 A1 cabins.

Glad to hear you had a good time. We were on the Summit this May. Loved it.

We will be trying the Silouette in Dec. We are just returning to cruising. We hadn't cruised since the early 90's.Love reading the reviews and comments.