Does HAL offer a "behind the scenes" ship tour?

JimAOk1945

Several years ago, we purchased a ship tour and we saw the galley, laundry, etc. It was very interesting and we enjoyed it.

Does Holland America offer a similar type of tour?

If you have been on one of these tours, can you describe it?

Did you enjoy it?

What was the cost?

I'm doing preliminary research for a cruise in 2016. We would be interested if it is offered.

Thanks!

It was offered on the Oosterdam last week. Here is the description from "Today On Location":

Behind the Scenes Ship Tour

Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes on the Oosterdam? From the galley and backstage to the laundry, engine control room and the navigation bridge this is your unique chance to experience ship life first hand. Limited availability, $150 per guest.

It has been offered for a couple of years now, at $150pp, on Vista and Signature class ships only. It seems to have lost some of it's popularity, and may not be offered on every cruise any more. We took it 3 or 4 years ago On N. Amsterdam, and even DW, who had her doubts about going on it, enjoyed it thoroughly.

I think there may occasionally be a free galley tour, I'm not sure. The $150 tour is very superior :D, with champagne served in a number of places, a visit to the engine room as well as the engine control room, photos taken with the Captain, hors d'oeuvres in the Crow's Nest, and gifts (books and a HAL bag when my DH took it). I persuaded him that it was his birthday present, although he had misgivings. He thoroughly enjoyed it. This was a few years ago. Others have said since that time, that, at sea, no one is allowed in the engine room, I think. So it may not be quite the same any more.

There is nearly always a free galley tour.

The ships behind the scene tour is very hit or miss, mostly miss. It is only on Vista and Signature ships when it's done and on none of our cruises has it been offered.

It was offered on the Oosterdam last week. Here is the description from "Today On Location":

Behind the Scenes Ship Tour

Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes on the Oosterdam? From the galley and backstage to the laundry, engine control room and the navigation bridge this is your unique chance to experience ship life first hand. Limited availability, $150 per guest.

My DH took the tour on the Zuiderdam in 2010. He still talks about some of the things he saw. Unique experience. In addition to the above description, he also saw the Recycling/Trash room. (FYI - The ship staff can see what kind of wine you brought on the ship.) The Tailor Shop, where all crew uniforms are made, etc. DH has amazing photos of rooms full of supplies. You will see the Florist room - unless, of course, a passenger has passed. Then that room is the Morgue. At the time he took the tour you had to register at the Front Desk immediately upon boarding the ship, or you would miss out. They only take 12 or so on the tour. It was offered the last sea day back then.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I have taken this behind the scenes tour on both HAL, Celebrity Cruises, and Carnival Cruise Lines ships and have found each to be very informational and worth my time and money. I have learned something new each time.

On HAL, they seem to be offered only on the Vista and Signature Class ships and, as a previous poster has indicated, not always on each voyage. The Event Manager on the Westerdam told me that whether it is offered has to do with the availability of personnel to serve as the guide.

If interested, check with the Front Office personnel as soon as possible after embarkation and do not be surprised if they claim no knowledge of such a tour. Politely ask to be put on a waiting list for such a tour, if the person will do so. And, check back daily to see what the status of the tour is. I was once on a waiting list, was told I would be notified when the tour became available, was not notified, but upon checking discovered that there was one more spot open on the tour.

$150/pp :eek::eek: I know we have done one, albeit not very extensive that I believe was free. I am losing my mind here?

I've been on the bridge three times in 20 years and about the same number of cruises and never paid an additional fee. Somewhere along the way HAL, and maybe other lines for that matter, got the idea that maybe they could squeeze a few more dollars out of cruisers. I don't like the idea but understand and for those who haven't had the opportunity maybe paying for a tour is good. I can say "no way" but that's easy because I've already had the opportunity.

Edited by Randyk47

We took the Ship Tour on the Zuiderdam ($150 pp) and didnt regret it. It was every bit of 3 hours (alot of walking). We went to the Laundry Room which is also where they do any sewing, mending etc; the Engine Room; Navigation Room, the Kitchen & Galley; Cold Storage/Dry Storage; Backstage; Housekeeping; Bridge; Crew Quarters; Trash Room (for the life of me I cannot remember what they called that room..LOL) It was very interesting. At each location there was a crew member to answer questions. As mentioned there were pictures with the Captain, snacks & drinks. At the end, we got several gifts. For us, it was an excursion, and we loved it.

We signed up as soon as we boarded. A few days later we got a letter giving the date & time. There were 12 on the tour.

We took the Ship Tour on the Zuiderdam ($150 pp) and didnt regret it. It was every bit of 3 hours (alot of walking). We went to the Laundry Room which is also where they do any sewing, mending etc; the Engine Room; Navigation Room, the Kitchen & Galley; Cold Storage/Dry Storage; Backstage; Housekeeping; Bridge; Crew Quarters; Trash Room (for the life of me I cannot remember what they called that room..LOL) It was very interesting. At each location there was a crew member to answer questions. As mentioned there were pictures with the Captain, snacks & drinks. At the end, we got several gifts. For us, it was an excursion, and we loved it.

We signed up as soon as we boarded. A few days later we got a letter giving the date & time. There were 12 on the tour.

This was my experience as well. At each stop on the tour, a Senior Officer for that Department--usually THE Senior Officer for that Department--described their operation and patiently answered questions. Never did we feel rushed anywhere, except during our rest period in the Crew's Training Room where a few more minutes of rest would have been welcome.

One site that I experienced on Celebrity Eclipse's tour was a visit to the Mooring Deck at the bow of the ship where the officer in charge (he had Captain level stripes on his uniform shoulders) described how the ship was docked and undocked, using the lines and anchors that could be used. Very interesting and a site that HAL ought to consider adding to their tour.

In comparing the tours on Celebrity, Carnival, and Holland America: Holland America's were operated the most efficiently, with Carnival #2, and Celebrity #3. We did a lot of waiting for the Department Head on Celebrity to show up when the tour group reached that area. Not so on HAL and rarely on Carnival. The gentlemen were usually in place and welcoming us as we arrived.

The tour is just simply a great experience!

Edited by rkacruiser

$150/pp :eek::eek: I know we have done one, albeit not very extensive that I believe was free. I am losing my mind here?

We, too, did one a few years ago on the Oosterdam and it was FREE!

We especially enjoyed the kitchen part and the "behind the stage" part...........those performers have VERY little space for all their costumes and changes, etc.

Along the way we saw many other areas as well.

I know we paid NOTHING for the tour.

We, too, did one a few years ago on the Oosterdam and it was FREE!

We especially enjoyed the kitchen part and the "behind the stage" part...........those performers have VERY little space for all their costumes and changes, etc.

Along the way we saw many other areas as well.

I know we paid NOTHING for the tour.

Yes, the Galley Tour is SOP on any/all cruises on which I have sailed and the behind the stage tour is also offered on many, but not on all. Cruise duration/itinerary seems to be the determining factor for such a tour.

The much more extensive tour is not free and is worth every penny that one pays for it---if one is so interested in such a tour.

We were just on the Westerdam last month. There was a free galley tour and a free "backstage" tour that started with a very interesting discussion with the show performers. It was a great chance to meet the singers and dancers. There was also a much longer tour that you had to pay for.

Here is what I saw on my Behind the Scenes Tour:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=882

A very unique experience well worth paying to have.

Thanks for posting your link. My wife is the shutterbug in our family. The tour we took a few years ago didn't allow any cameras. She would love this photo opportunity.

Did you use an external flash for your pictures?

After reading everyone's enthusiastic responses, I think this type of tour is something we will definitely plan on. It sounds much more interesting and comprehensive than the one we took previously on another cruise line. I'm sure my wife will enjoy taking pictures.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to read my question and post your comments.

I think there may occasionally be a free galley tour, I'm not sure. The $150 tour is very superior :D, with champagne served in a number of places, a visit to the engine room as well as the engine control room, photos taken with the Captain, hors d'oeuvres in the Crow's Nest, and gifts (books and a HAL bag when my DH took it). I persuaded him that it was his birthday present, although he had misgivings. He thoroughly enjoyed it. This was a few years ago. Others have said since that time, that, at sea, no one is allowed in the engine room, I think. So it may not be quite the same any more.

Did your tour go to both the engine room and the Engine control room? The engine room itself is not easily accessible/involves a lot of descending (and climbing) of ladders and requires putting on ear protection, as opposed to the ECR

Edited by Copper10-8

Did your tour go to both the engine room and the Engine control room? The engine room itself is not easily accessible/involves a lot of descending (and climbing) of ladders and requires putting on ear protection, as opposed to the ECR

Yes, ear protection and clambering up and down - (this is my adventurous DH who did it, not me, :D)

P1000180_zps14cb87b0.jpg

Sparkling clean, isn't it?

Always kept that way! Engineers pride and joy! That ladder in your pic is what I was referring to; there are several of them; some long with head ducking programmed in ;)Very easy to get lost in there, unless you are assigned there day in and day out

Edited by Copper10-8