Dear Celebrity Cruises - What´s you position on ports in Israel?

Miaminice

I generally agree with you! We have also had port changes and sea days because of bad weather before - I am the first on to shrug things like that off. After all I am on vacation...

This cruise, however, is specifically sold as "Holy Land Cruise" - not much left if you take the holy out of that. So Israel was probably the main reason for most of the people to book this cruise. Each person has to make the decision to cancel or not for himself - I also agree on that. Most are just asking for some information on which they can base their decision.

Most of the things mentioned by others here are last minute changes due to bad weather etc. - unpredictable situations.

Turn on the news! American, European, Israeli news... feel free to choose.

If one is realistic, he will realize that it is more predictable that the situation will not improve within less than two months but probably get worse than to guess it would improve.

Then ask yourself. If you had to decide now to make changes while there are still opportunities with an 80% chance of things not improving would you make a decision or hesitate until the last moment?

The way it is now, most of you are saying passengers should make a decision while Celebrity does not have to make decisions? :confused:

As some here correctly mentioned, Celebrity has a responsibility. Responsibility and leadership is also about making decisions... you will always step on someone´s toes, no matter how you decide. However, in regards to safety of passengers, ship and crew and economic reasons, the wise decision would be to step forward and create an alternative which is attractive enough for passengers to stick with this cruise.

And again: I was not even asking for a specific decision when I addressed Celebrity, I just aksed for some information...

So, again, let´s wait and see

I'm confused (but what else is new!!).

Are u saying that you posted here just to c if X replied to the post? You aren't asking for our input?

If that is the case, good luck. There is no way (IMHO) that X would respond to this thread with any kind of "decision" this far in advance. There is way too many variables that could change in the time frame involved.

Most of the things mentioned by others here are last minute changes due to bad weather etc. - unpredictable situations.

Turn on the news! American, European, Israeli news... feel free to choose.

If one is realistic, he will realize that it is more predictable that the situation will not improve within less than two months but probably get worse than to guess it would improve.

So, again, let´s wait and see

I find it interesting that you pick out one or two examples out of the several given to say "most" are caused by weather or unpredictable events. The cruise impacted by the Egyptian revolution was certainly NOT due to bad weather...nor is the situation this year with the Black Sea cruises/Crimean issues, nor is the fact that others have reported being in a similar situation with exactly the same ports in Israel.

You can certainly hope that Celebrity will respond, but most of us who've posted can assess from past experience with VERY similar issues that they will not come forward with information until and unless they decide to make a change -- other than to potentially say that they are assessing the situation. And what will a statement that they are assessing the situation (which surely you must know that they are doing, even absent such a statement) do to help those on the cruise who are unsure about whether to cancel?

Dodger:

Read post #1 and you will see what I asked ;)

Again: Up until now all the passengers which asked for any information, and it seems to be quite a number of them, did not get any answer at all. Not even the usual "we will get back to you"...

and that is quite poor.

I find it interesting that you pick out one or two examples out of the several given to say "most" are caused by weather or unpredictable events.

Which is why I said "most" and not "all". If you would be more happy with the word "some", paste it in there - and the meaning will still be the same.

To call the current situation unpredictable is bordering on naive. If it is in any way unpredictable, it´s for the worse. Which is why I am saying if I had to make a decision, I would make it.

Other cruiselines did too! Actually Celebrity should lead the way... ;)

It's way too early for Celebrity to make any sort of announcement.

LuLu

I disagree. Celebrity must by now be monitoring the potentially dangerous port (s), and putting together a plan B. This information could be shared with the caveat that the changes will only be made if the situation warrants doing so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Dodger:

Read post #1 and you will see what I asked ;)

Again: Up until now all the passengers which asked for any information, and it seems to be quite a number of them, did not get any answer at all. Not even the usual "we will get back to you"...

and that is quite poor.

That is why I was confused. You posted here to get a response from X. Not from other board participants.

I think no one has gotten a response because as far as they are concerned they have nothing to report. They still show (I assume) the cruise itinerary as the one you purchased. They obviously have the normal "we can change anything at any time" language in the contract you agreed to when purchasing cruise.

If u had purchased plane tockets to fly there in the same time, do you think an airline would respond any differently?

That is why I was confused. You posted here to get a response from X. Not from other board participants.

Finally someone realizes that!!! ;)

Which is why I am going to watch the world cup now and wait if the one I actually addressed is going to answer or not :)

Take care!

Finally someone realizes that!!! ;)

Which is why I am going to watch the world cup now and wait if the one I actually addressed is going to answer or not :)

Take care!

Why not just pick up the phone and call them and ask? Seems like the sensible way to get an answer, does it not?

I am currently booked on the Oct 18 holy land cruise. This region is and always will be volatile . Every thing can be calm, and two days before the scheduled docking in Ashdod hostilities could break out again.

A " plan B " alternate port plan should be in the works however....and that info should be given to those being asked to pay in full for the cruise 75 days in advance.

Celebrity DO make changes far in advance.

I sailed on Constellation early Sept 2012 on a 2 day repositioning cruise from Amsterdam to Southampton ( very unusual for a 2 day cruise)

The ship was being repositioned to do recently introduced Wine Immersive cruises. It was rescheduled late March for Sept- ie 6 months in advance.

When we were on the ship, we talked to a couple who had originally booked the Mediterranean cruise which visited Egypt..

Thank you, Celebrity, for responding. I think we all appreciate your attention to our comments and concerns on CC and we appreciate that you respond with whatever information you have. The cruise OP asks for information on has already lost Egypt from the itinerary. I was booked on the cruise the week following, which had pretty much the same itinerary. I postponed til 2015. It would be really hard to lose Israel, as well as Egypt.

I wonder if you could possibly give us a bit more information about the problem with the Silhouette. There is all kinds of speculation going on. Is it a propulsion problem? Will it be fixed before the 2016 dry dock? Thank you so much.

it seems to me that if one books a cruise to the Middle East, they should expect that the situation will change almost daily, going from bad to worse to bad to worse, etc., etc., as it has for the past 60 years or so, & not worry in July what will happen in October, demanding a crystal ball from Celebrity.

We made final payment yesterday for this cruise. This will be our 6th cruise to Israel in the last 20 years. On our last two cruises - one on NCL, and one on Cunard, we were advised when we boarded in Rome, that we would spend our time in the port of Haifa and that Ashdod would be dropped. That is rather routine for this part of the world.

We have travelled to Israel by land and stayed there many times for as long as a month, so we realize there is always something going on in Israel. The country manages the situations very well. I have faith they will get on top of this situation before our cruise departs. They can not tolerate misseles hit cities throught the country. Special forces took out a long range missel launcher last night in Gaza. no

One week into the current situation is way too premature for Celebrity to make any decisions.

We would be very happy for Celebrity to wait to the last minute to make any changes. We will adjust, we are on a great ship, any where in the Mediterranean is fantastic. The Silhouette has a similar cruise in 2015, if we don't make Israel this year, we will consider 2015.

Likewise, we first attempted to visit Egypt in 1991 or so , on Crystal, problems persisted well over 3 months at that time in Egypt and the cruise line cancelled Egypt and substitued Istanbul. We did not cancel that cruise either - we enjoyed Istanbul a lot. It took more than 20 years before cruise lines started returning to Egypt, we finally made to Egypt on the old Royal Princess in 2007, went again in 2009.

So for those who want to visit Egypt and/or the Holy Land...in the past we were patient and it worked out in time. Today, with instant every, i.e., due to computers, we all want to get answers fast. Life is not like that.

To expect definite answers from Celebrity at this point in time is unrealistic based on our prior experience. We are not Celebrity champions, we cruise many lines... even though we are elite with Celebrity.

We will give the current situation to God, what will be will be.

Happy cruising to all.

Yes we are booked on celebrity holyland 14 day cruise. Wanted to go to egypt, now that isn't going to happen. Don't believe we are going to israel either. And now the ship is having propulsion trouble and ports are going to be shorten. They are not going to try to fix the ship until late fall.

If people have booked this cruise primarily to go to Israel and missing these ports would be a deal breaker then they probably should cancel . I actually think things will calm down by then, but there are no guarantees. And Haifa can be cancelled if things heat up in Syria or Lebanon and ISIS or Hezbollah decide to lob rockets.

My son lives in Israel and I have been there many times. Frankly if Israel is the main draw of the cruise, then why only spend 2 days there. Do a land trip. Two days is not enough. If cruising is the main draw then make final payment and enjoy whatever ports you visit.

Wow, thank you to Celebrity for responding! That is all the OP really wanted...on a Sunday during the Worls Cup final, no less. That is terrific social media work!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is the biggest advantage of booking your air travel with Celebrity.:cool:

Dear Jackie & Adrian, Please tell MORE about the biggest advantage of booking through ChoiceAir. Not long after I have booked SFO--FCO and FLL--SFO on Air Canada I have to pay in full (b2b and air fares). That was on June 12th last month. Now, if I cancel my b2b, do I have to pay any penalty on our ChoiceAir air fares ($840.65 + $840.65) ? We are on the OCT 18th Holy Land and Nov. 1st Transatlantic Silhouette cruises.

Thank you very much in advance for you answer. Good luck, Cary:)

Dear Jackie & Adrian, Please tell MORE about the biggest advantage of booking through ChoiceAir. Not long after I have booked SFO--FCO and FLL--SFO on Air Canada I have to pay in full (b2b and air fares). That was on June 12th last month. Now, if I cancel my b2b, do I have to pay any penalty on our ChoiceAir air fares ($840.65 + $840.65) ? We are on the OCT 18th Holy Land and Nov. 1st Transatlantic Silhouette cruises.

Thank you very much in advance for you answer. Good luck, Cary:)

I cannot answer your query as I have never cancelled.

In the UK we can choose to book our cruise with air, which also includes transfers and day hotels if the returning flight is in the evening( it is a package and as such we are ATOL protected)

When we have booked, the one way fare from the US is very competitive as it usually a BA flight, which can be very expensive.