Dear Celebrity Cruises - What´s you position on ports in Israel?

Miaminice

Just 2 days before my scheduled cruise on Equinox we suddenly found ourselves in war.... We are used to this situation, and I totally undestand others who are worried.

All I can tell u is that here, in the Holy Land, 2 months is like 2 million years in other "civilized" parts of the world.

This "war" cannot last longer than a few days, and in my experience, we'll have at least 6 months of quiet time. This small country of mine simply cannot afford long periods of hostilities - all our lives are at stand still and the economy is going down the drain - and most of all - the casualties....

Hope to see u all "descending" in Ashdod and enjoying Jerusalem, Nazareth, Beth Lehem and the Sea of Galilee.

Savlanut v'shalom.

- Joel

My son lives in Israel and his take is also that this( the FAA edict) is only happening because the Malaysian jet was shot down over Ukraine.

I also suspect the current war will be over by October. That said, those that are afraid to take the chance should cancel and give this issue a rest since no one has a crystal ball.

As I think I posted days ago those who booked this cruise as a trip to the Holyland are missing out by only seeing Israel for two days anyway. Either take a land trip when things settle down or enjoy your cruise to whatever ports you end up in.

I

My son lives in Israel and his take is also that this( the FAA edict) is only happening because the Malaysian jet was shot down over Ukraine.

;) :D

Ukraine:

Ukrainian airspace has long been avoided by most airlines due to recommendations of FAA and European EASA. Few airlines, including Malaysian Airlines, ignored the recommendations.

Israel:

The FAA issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) informing U.S. airlines that they are prohibited from flying to or from Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport for a period of up to 24 hours (http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=16694) . This was am immediate action following rockets fired at and impacting close to Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Intl. Airport.

European EASA did not limit this action to 24 hours. Major airlines (Lufthansa, BA etc.) are still not flying to Ben Gurion.

This has nothing to do with the Ukrainian situation at all. Unless there is a recently formed "Hamas Ukraine".

We can all have different opinions - but let´s please stick to facts!

Edited by Miaminice

Miaminice, I believe the inference was that the FAA and EASA may not have taken the actions they did (out of an abundance of caution) had a commercial passenger plane not been shot down the previous week.

Everyone is a little jittery at the moment. I don't believe anyone was thinking of a Hamas Ukraine.

;) :D

Ukraine:

Ukrainian airspace has long been avoided by most airlines due to recommendations of FAA and European EASA. Few airlines, including Malaysian Airlines, ignored the recommendations.

Israel:

The FAA issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) informing U.S. airlines that they are prohibited from flying to or from Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport for a period of up to 24 hours (http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=16694) . This was am immediate action following rockets fired at and impacting close to Tel Aviv Ben Gurion Intl. Airport.

European EASA did not limit this action to 24 hours. Major airlines (Lufthansa, BA etc.) are still not flying to Ben Gurion.

This has nothing to do with the Ukrainian situation at all. Unless there is a recently formed "Hamas Ukraine".

We can all have different opinions - but let´s please stick to facts!

If sticking to facts, BA flight 165 flew London to TLV today, departing LHR at 9:05 am and arriving 3:41 pm.

The US hasn't ended all flights just suspending most for 24 hours (I say most as Vice President Biden flew in on his plane yesterday...).

Many flights operating as normal, and always do during the frequent missile launches. Officials say they regularly shoot troublesome missiles out of the air with missile defense systems, but those missiles were not destined to the airport, so did not warrant countermeasures to stop them, which seems to be a common occurrence for them.

22 Airlines flying into to TLV today include:

• British Airways
  • El Al
  • Air Sinai
  • Isair Airlines
  • Georgian Airlines
  • Uzbekistan Airlines
  • Akria Isreal Airlines
  • Rossiya Airlines
  • UIA
  • Aeroflot
  • Air Canada
  • Arkia Israeli Airlines
  • Transaero Airlines
  • Iberia
  • Swiss
  • S7 Airlines
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Bulgaria Air
  • Korean Air
  • TAROM
  • UTair
  • Wizz Air

18 Canceled airlines are (and it is possible some were canceled for regular reasons as some flights do, not necessarily all due to the missiles):

• Air Berlin
  • Alitalia
  • Jetairfly
  • EasyJet
  • Air Berlin
  • Air France
  • American
  • Delta
  • United
  • Air Serbia
  • Lufthansa
  • Tyrollean
  • Royal Jordanian
  • Transavia France
  • Aegean
  • Norwegian Air Shuttle
  • Pegasus

Source: http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do

I too am booked on the 4th Oct Celebrity Cruises Holy Land cruise.

Surely it would be in Celebrity's interests to announce an itinerary alternative to Israel soon as it must be near impossible for them to sell the remaining cabins on that cruise with the news from Israel as it is. New customers wont book a cruise if they suspect the itinerary will be changed.

I really hope it all calms down so I can go to Israel as planned, but I was thinking a suitable substitution could be Malta and Tunis, or even Dubrovnik and Kotor. I hope its not more Greek Islands. If I had wanted Greek Islands there are many other cheaper cruises I could have booked instead! Could Celebrity venture to Beirut?

Surely it would be in Celebrity's interests to announce an itinerary alternative to Israel soon as it must be near impossible for them to sell the remaining cabins on that cruise with the news from Israel as it is. New customers wont book a cruise if they suspect the itinerary will be changed.

I really hope it all calms down so I can go to Israel as planned, but I was thinking a suitable substitution could be Malta and Tunis, or even Dubrovnik and Kotor. I hope its not more Greek Islands. If I had wanted Greek Islands there are many other cheaper cruises I could have booked instead! Could Celebrity venture to Beirut?

Interesting thought about wether or not the silence on alternative ports is goig to cause the sailing to stop selling.

Let's follow sales and check it out....Today here's open cabin availability.

10 - 8

09- 16

08 - 6

2D - 2

2C - 5

2B - 9

2A - 5

1C - 8

1B - 15

1A - 19

SV - 10

C3 - 28

C2 - 37

C1 - 15

A2 - 8

A1 - 15

S2 - 15

S1 - 6

CS - 2

RS - 1

PH - 1

I feel lighter in spirit having learned today that there is actually an airline named Wizz Air. :D Thanks cle-guy.

Could Celebrity venture to Beirut?

I don't think a mass market line has called in Beirut in many years. I doubt now would be the time they'd want to start, with Syria to the north and west and Israel to the south....

]If sticking to facts, BA flight 165 flew London to TLV today, departing LHR at 9:05 am and arriving 3:41 pm.

The US hasn't ended all flights just suspending most for 24 hours (I say most as Vice President Biden flew in on his plane yesterday...).

If sticking to facts did you mean Sec of State Kerry not VP Biden?

Edited by Oville

Wow, that is alot of empty cabins. Maybe great deals are coming on that cruise now that final payment date has passed.

I have heard cruises also get diverted to Katakolon and Cypress, too. Also Istanbul.

Just checked prices out on a pricing site, and they added Guarantee categories on June 26, however all other cabins are still selling for their highest price since going on sale.

Miaminice, I believe the inference was that the FAA and EASA may not have taken the actions they did (out of an abundance of caution) had a commercial passenger plane not been shot down the previous week.

Everyone is a little jittery at the moment. I don't believe anyone was thinking of a Hamas Ukraine.

Exactly. The fact that a jet could be downed in one country heightens concerns that it could happen in another.

I feel lighter in spirit having learned today that there is actually an airline named Wizz Air. :D Thanks cle-guy.

I don't think a mass market line has called in Beirut in many years. I doubt now would be the time they'd want to start, with Syria to the north and west and Israel to the south....

Thomson Cruises go to Beirut and I believe MSC are going next year. I agree though it may not be any safer than Israel at the moment!

Interesting thought about wether or not the silence on alternative ports is goig to cause the sailing to stop selling.

Let's follow sales and check it out....Today here's open cabin availability.

10 - 8

09- 16

08 - 6

2D - 2

2C - 5

2B - 9

2A - 5

1C - 8

1B - 15

1A - 19

SV - 10

C3 - 28

C2 - 37

C1 - 15

A2 - 8

A1 - 15

S2 - 15

S1 - 6

CS - 2

RS - 1

PH - 1

Ok interesting, so I believe that's about 20% of all cabins are unsold! I'm not sure if thats a lot with 2 months to go.

Wow, that is alot of empty cabins. Maybe great deals are coming on that cruise now that final payment date has passed.

I have heard cruises also get diverted to Katakolon and Cypress, too. Also Istanbul.

I think Istanbul is a likely substitute too, however there is a Celebrity Cruise from Rome to Istanbul leaving 2 days after Silhouette, so with almost identical itineraries, they may be 'treading on each others toes'.

I hope its not Katakolon or Cyprus as I dont think they will be a worthy substitute for Jerusalem and Haifa.

No word from celebrity, and the lack of consideration regarding final payment deadline or cancelation refunds is why we cancelled the oct 4 cruise. Luckily I had not purchased the air ticket yet.

Celebrity was bullied into making a short statement on CC but that does NOTHING to assure/assist the other 2500+ passengers who never heard of CC. We had recently been advised of the Haifa time change, so obviously Celebrity has a way to contact passengers with information.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Thomson Cruises go to Beirut and I believe MSC are going next year. I agree though it may not be any safer than Israel at the moment!

Yes, I know a few ships call there, but not any of the more American mass market lines. (I visited on a Voyages to Antiquity cruise a few years ago & thought it was fantastic.)

Just checked prices out on a pricing site, and they added Guarantee categories on June 26, however all other cabins are still selling for their highest price since going on sale.

They put this cruise on Exciting Deals before Final Payment.

Celebrity also added a Resident discount in 7 cabin categories, just after the Israeli situation began to heat up.

Sales have almost stopped entirely on this sailing. I have been watching the itinerary very closely, as I have four friends who were booked. Two cancelled at final payment, and two decided to carry on. I might consider taking this cruise if the price was right, but certainly not at the current prices, not even at the Exciting Deals prices. The price is too expensive for what may turn out to be a Greek Islands cruise.

Not Celebrity but Costa has made a call and decided to make changes.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/costa-cancels-israel-calls.html

We're on the October 18 cruise.

Glad that we're not cruising with Costa. It would be such a disappointment if Celebrity cancelled our Israel ports prematurely. We prefer Celebrity's wait and see attitude.

We fully expect, and hope, that the war will end soon, and that Israel will be safe to visit in October.