Do people share drinks packages?

If your going to compare, you need to compare apples to apples. Trains and drinks are not comparing like for like.

Shall I use your statement about trains here you go...

We buy a 10 ride ticket whenever we are in Barcelona for the metro, 10 rides, Is it stealing if I use it for my wife, our son and I??? Would The metro want me to buy a ticket for each of us??? Give your head a shake!!!

I am not promoting buying one package and sharing it with the whole family here, a once in a while thing in my eyes is fine.

As far as your comment about my attitude and cruising if anything it would be the stuffy comments from many on these boards that would make me reconsider cruising. From what I have read I think a lot of these posters are stuck in the olden times.

With all that said I do appreciate the people that have answered some of my questions.

Um,seriously? Not even close to the same thing unless the tickets are non-transferable. You don't even understand what you are saying.

Have you ever been to Walt Disney World? Their rules about their tickets apply more here than your train analogy does. If you try to enter the park using someone else's ticket, it will not let you in. After you have used the ticket one time, it becomes YOURS and your finger scan is attached to it.

It's pretty sad that some people think they have to scam the system in order to feel good about themselves.

Just because you think once in a while is okay, does not mean you are not breaking RCI's rules and the contract you have with them. Everyone does not get to make their own rules when you agree to something via a contract. And, yes, the drink package is a contract with RCI.

If your going to compare, you need to compare apples to apples. Trains and drinks are not comparing like for like.

Shall I use your statement about trains here you go...

We buy a 10 ride ticket whenever we are in Barcelona for the metro, 10 rides, Is it stealing if I use it for my wife, our son and I??? Would The metro want me to buy a ticket for each of us??? Give your head a shake!!!

I am not promoting buying one package and sharing it with the whole family here, a once in a while thing in my eyes is fine.

As far as your comment about my attitude and cruising if anything it would be the stuffy comments from many on these boards that would make me reconsider cruising. From what I have read I think a lot of these posters are stuck in the olden times.

With all that said I do appreciate the people that have answered some of my questions.

I'm comparing principle not items and therefore is apples with apples

Not telling you how to live as you are a grown up. Just giving my opinion as you have

You have to live with what you do as do I

Your choice what you do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm comparing principle not items and therefore is apples with apples

Not telling you how to live as you are a grown up. Just giving my opinion as you have

You have to live with what you do as do I

Your choice what you do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am afraid principle is a mater of interpretation. Your principle might be completely different to say someone from France, or Russia, Ukraine or Spain. There are many people from all different walks of life that see things very very different from the North American way.

Interesting though. If those people who think differently went to the States and broke a law would they get let off because they think differently ?

A contract is a contract - your opinion of whether it is right or not is irrelevant once you have entered into it.

I am afraid principle is a mater of interpretation. Your principle might be completely different to say someone from France, or Russia, Ukraine or Spain. There are many people from all different walks of life that see things very very different from the North American way.

I work for a large bank headquartered in Northeastern Spain and I can tell you that management's principals regarding theft are pretty much the same as ours here in North America.

Um,seriously? Not even close to the same thing unless the tickets are non-transferable. You don't even understand what you are saying.

Have you ever been to Walt Disney World? Their rules about their tickets apply more here than your train analogy does. If you try to enter the park using someone else's ticket, it will not let you in. After you have used the ticket one time, it becomes YOURS and your finger scan is attached to it.

It's pretty sad that some people think they have to scam the system in order to feel good about themselves.

Just because you think once in a while is okay, does not mean you are not breaking RCI's rules and the contract you have with them. Everyone does not get to make their own rules when you agree to something via a contract. And, yes, the drink package is a contract with RCI.

You say I don't know what I am saying, I think it is your comparison that is off, You are buying an unlimited drinks package , not trying to get into Disney fricken World. If you cant see the difference in these two comparisons then your the one who really doesn't know what they area saying.

Anyways I agree that you have a contract with them, and you of course don't get to make your own rules aboard the ships. If it worried RCI they would do something about it.

I don't think it will be long before everything is included anyways. Then what will everyone have to joust about.

You say I don't know what I am saying, I think it is your comparison that is off, You are buying an unlimited drinks package , not trying to get into Disney fricken World. If you cant see the difference in these two comparisons then your the one who really doesn't know what they area saying.

Anyways I agree that you have a contract with them, and you of course don't get to make your own rules aboard the ships. If it worried RCI they would do something about it.

I don't think it will be long before everything is included anyways. Then what will everyone have to joust about.

You are buying a drink package PER PERSON. Why is that so hard to understand. Oh, yeah, that's right, rules do not apply to you.

Cruiselines that offer mass marketing cruises will never go "all inclusive" as that would raise their costs too high for a large portion of their customer base. It's called basic economics, supply and demand.

Your argument still does not justify stealing.

Edited by BND

How about this for a scenario? I buy the premium package for $55 per day.

During the day I only get drinks that would cost me $55 if I was pay as you go.

Anyone think it would be ok to share one or two of those drinks? Morally I mean.

Yes,, there are folks here that would want to see you charged with a crime, your children taken away and a big old tattoo on your forehead for that.

Fortunately, you don't have to hang out or be friends with those people. It would be interesting to follow them with a camera crew and busting them when they step out of line though.

I think what is so annoying on this thread is the people who keep equating sharing a drink of water to stealing jewelry, being a bad parent or getting into Disney for free. It's not the same at all. While I'm sure some of you have never done anything wrong, I will give my child a water from my package without any hesitation. After this thread, I may even get my wife a specialty coffee in the morning while she is still sleeping. Even though she will also have the package, I would have to use my card and as we have read on these boards, no sharing!!!

Yes,, there are folks here that would want to see you charged with a crime, your children taken away and a big old tattoo on your forehead for that.

Fortunately, you don't have to hang out or be friends with those people. It would be interesting to follow them with a camera crew and busting them when they step out of line though.

Haha. True. Strangely none of them have given an opinion on what I asked.

I think what is so annoying on this thread is the people who keep equating sharing a drink of water to stealing jewelry, being a bad parent or getting into Disney for free. It's not the same at all. While I'm sure some of you have never done anything wrong, I will give my child a water from my package without any hesitation. After this thread, I may even get my wife a specialty coffee in the morning while she is still sleeping. Even though she will also have the package, I would have to use my card and as we have read on these boards, no sharing!!!

Now it's getting silly. Sharing a sip of water from a bottle is completely different from getting bottles all week long to give to other members in your party.

What the majority of posters are attempting to say is that this is technically a form of theft...thus the comparisons to other forms of theft. If your child is going to want bottled water all week, buy the package. It's very simple.

There is a cost to RCL for people that share their packages. Eventually, if the costs get too high, RCL will change the cost structure of the packages to compensate. This is where I get annoyed.

I can guarantee you that I am not "holier than thou".

Edited by comxkid

Now it's getting silly. Sharing a sip of water from a bottle is completely different from getting bottles all week long to give to other members in your party.

What the majority of posters are attempting to say is that this is technically a form of theft...thus the comparisons to other forms of theft. If your child is going to want bottled water all week, buy the package. It's very simple.

There is a cost to RCL for people that share their packages. Eventually, if the costs get too high, RCL will change the cost structure of the packages to compensate. This is where I get annoyed.

I can guarantee you that I am not "holier than thou".

Have you been reading some of these comments? I am not talking about getting 20 drinks during a week long cruise. The person that I am defending is the one who was talking about getting a water for his kid. People were calling him a bad parent for swapping a water and a coke.

I care more about the kid who pushes too many elevator buttons more than someone who gets away with a few waters.

Go Gators

Have you been reading some of these comments? I am not talking about getting 20 drinks during a week long cruise. The person that I am defending is the one who was talking about getting a water for his kid. People were calling him a bad parent for swapping a water and a coke.

I care more about the kid who pushes too many elevator buttons more than someone who gets away with a few waters.

Go Gators

Some posters go too far with their comments (on both sides). A small child has no idea how Mom or Dad is getting him/her a water, so I don't believe parenting skills should be called into question for that scenario. However, if you are doing this for older children who are aware that there are different packages and that Mom or Dad is skirting the system.....well, you can draw your own conclusion in this scenario.

Most posters (including myself) are concerned with the slippage that comes with sharing. It may start innocently and nominally, but it can balloon out of control....especially if people hear through various sources that it is o.k. to share.

I am not interested in policing the ship's policies while I am cruising...I will leave that to others. My only concern is to keep the cost of my vacation (including my drink package) as low as possible.

Edited by comxkid

.....so far, there have been no-one that I've seen in this thread who has claimed to intentionally purchase and share the drink package in order to save a bunch of money, beat the system, get 2 for 1 - but there have been a couple of people who have admitted grabbing the occasional drink for a family member.

In my case - my husband and I bought the drink package, (on Carnival - this wasn't even on RCI), and didn't even come close to breaking even on it, (yes, I've been well scolded for my stupidity in this thread for doing such a thing as making a mistake with a purchase). We just were not drinking to the level that we thought we would. We had a 20 year old with us, (who is not considered underaged at home or anywhere else in the world outside of the US), and did, through the course of the cruise - get a couple of drinks for her. Call the police! Carnival got their profit out of us on both drink packages - and as much as I aided and abetted a serious crime - it wasn't a serious crime to me. I'm Canadian - people start drinking at around 18 here - cultural difference. And every port we went to was the same - we were not on US land.

OK, so now that we've established that I'm a thief and a criminal and should be drawn and quartered - let's remind you that we didn't get on the boat at 11am on Day 1 to gorge ourselves in the buffet. We didn't order extra entrees and desserts and take one bite of them. We spent a stupid bundle on pictures. We bought crap in the gift store. We auto tipped and gave extra to the staff. We ate in the specialty restaurant. We didn't eat everything in sight or waste food. We went to the spa. We didn't sneak booze on the ship.

Carnival would probably love to have us back - we are the kind of customers that create profit for providers. We were low maintenance and we spent money - on optional stuff. A lot of money.

The Cruise industry is not a social service - they are not providing us with vacation options out of the goodness of their hearts - they have calculated and capitalized over every single profit potential that they can. They will charge exactly as much for services as the market will bear and not a penny less. They have studied and put into practice every possible way that they can to get as much money out of us that they can. That's business!

Anyone who thinks that the prices would drop if they never shared a drink from a package or who ordered an extra dessert is sadly mistaken.

I am super judgemental of people who intentionally go out to gouge - people who intend to take far more than what they pay for and look to save a buck at someone else's expense at every turn. People who take and take and who don't want to tip or purchase anything - ever - but are first in line for anything that is included. The spectrum of breaking rules, bending rules and taking advantage of something the odd time is pretty big - I don't think one size fits all.

I'm not suggesting that anyone get anyone else a drink on their drink package if they don't want to. If that isn't in your comfort zone, even if doing so would only help you break even - don't do it. But on our next cruise (RCI), my husband and I will either both get it or neither of us will - so no-one worry your pretty heads about us - we're trying to learn from last time when we really didn't drink as much as we thought we would. Paying as we go is probably smarter for us.

I guess in my very, very, very limited cruising experience - I saw more waste, more gluttony than anywhere I've ever been - why don't all of you ethics police go after the eaters and claim that if they weren't such gluttons, the prices will go down, (they won't). And I saw more gouging on behalf of the cruise line, (price of pictures, price of internet, price of bottled water etc). In my opinion, the bad, taking advantage of behavior is equally present on both sides - lots of greed to go around and probably fairly distributed.

This thread is replete with glass houses but there is comfort on the internet that anyone wagging their fingers will never be exposed when they do something that isn't 100% on the up & up. And I say when, not if.

.....so far, there have been no-one that I've seen in this thread who has claimed to intentionally purchase and share the drink package in order to save a bunch of money, beat the system, get 2 for 1 - but there have been a couple of people who have admitted grabbing the occasional drink for a family member.

In my case - my husband and I bought the drink package, (on Carnival - this wasn't even on RCI), and didn't even come close to breaking even on it, (yes, I've been well scolded for my stupidity in this thread for doing such a thing as making a mistake with a purchase). We just were not drinking to the level that we thought we would. We had a 20 year old with us, (who is not considered underaged at home or anywhere else in the world outside of the US), and did, through the course of the cruise - get a couple of drinks for her. Call the police! Carnival got their profit out of us on both drink packages - and as much as I aided and abetted a serious crime - it wasn't a serious crime to me. I'm Canadian - people start drinking at around 18 here - cultural difference. And every port we went to was the same - we were not on US land.

OK, so now that we've established that I'm a thief and a criminal and should be drawn and quartered - let's remind you that we didn't get on the boat at 11am on Day 1 to gorge ourselves in the buffet. We didn't order extra entrees and desserts and take one bite of them. We spent a stupid bundle on pictures. We bought crap in the gift store. We auto tipped and gave extra to the staff. We ate in the specialty restaurant. We didn't eat everything in sight or waste food. We went to the spa. We didn't sneak booze on the ship.

Carnival would probably love to have us back - we are the kind of customers that create profit for providers. We were low maintenance and we spent money - on optional stuff. A lot of money.

The Cruise industry is not a social service - they are not providing us with vacation options out of the goodness of their hearts - they have calculated and capitalized over every single profit potential that they can. They will charge exactly as much for services as the market will bear and not a penny less. They have studied and put into practice every possible way that they can to get as much money out of us that they can. That's business!

Anyone who thinks that the prices would drop if they never shared a drink from a package or who ordered an extra dessert is sadly mistaken.

I am super judgemental of people who intentionally go out to gouge - people who intend to take far more than what they pay for and look to save a buck at someone else's expense at every turn. People who take and take and who don't want to tip or purchase anything - ever - but are first in line for anything that is included. The spectrum of breaking rules, bending rules and taking advantage of something the odd time is pretty big - I don't think one size fits all.

I'm not suggesting that anyone get anyone else a drink on their drink package if they don't want to. If that isn't in your comfort zone, even if doing so would only help you break even - don't do it. But on our next cruise (RCI), my husband and I will either both get it or neither of us will - so no-one worry your pretty heads about us - we're trying to learn from last time when we really didn't drink as much as we thought we would. Paying as we go is probably smarter for us.

I guess in my very, very, very limited cruising experience - I saw more waste, more gluttony than anywhere I've ever been - why don't all of you ethics police go after the eaters and claim that if they weren't such gluttons, the prices will go down, (they won't). And I saw more gouging on behalf of the cruise line, (price of pictures, price of internet, price of bottled water etc). In my opinion, the bad, taking advantage of behavior is equally present on both sides - lots of greed to go around and probably fairly distributed.

This thread is replete with glass houses but there is comfort on the internet that anyone wagging their fingers will never be exposed when they do something that isn't 100% on the up & up. And I say when, not if.

I've been on various forums covering multitudes of subjects for many years now, and I dont think I have ever read a better written post than this. Couldnt agree more. I think I'm in love with you darlacat!

Some posters go too far with their comments (on both sides). A small child has no idea how Mom or Dad is getting him/her a water, so I don't believe parenting skills should be called into question for that scenario. However, if you are doing this for older children who are aware that there are different packages and that Mom or Dad is skirting the system.....well, you can draw your own conclusion in this scenario.

Most posters (including myself) are concerned with the slippage that comes with sharing. It may start innocently and nominally, but it can balloon out of control....especially if people hear through various sources that it is o.k. to share.

I am not interested in policing the ship's policies while I am cruising...I will leave that to others. My only concern is to keep the cost of my vacation (including my drink package) as low as possible.

I can agree with you on this post...

have no dog in this race, as I don't drink:eek:

As we are comparing , tho...

My opinion only.....

I work for a seafood chain, a large company like Royal...

Anyway, we run a promo, each fall, endless shrimp (all you can eat.)

Price on menu is per person highlighted, can't miss it.

Family's come in order one or two of it and the rest an appetizer.

They share A lot with their family, yet we are trained not to question and comply.

Kicker is they will order more (not just one or two) state they are full and then take it all home.

All this to say, the cost of those individuals ( many more than you think) is indeed factored in the price of said promo, the company make the money.

So much, that they have the promo run every fall for the last 20 years

Wow, talk about overreaching. All we want is that EVERYONE follow the same rules. Very simple.

I love how those that can justify breaking rules use the old stupid excuse that "everyone breaks rules". Intent, people, intent. And there are those that fully intend to ignore the rules. No one is perfect, but most of us do not use the "RCI makes a lot of money anyway" or "it's only one or two drinks" etc. excuses. When I drive over the speed limit, I can't justify it nor would I try. I try to live my life in a moral, ethical manner which includes following the rules of any contract I am in.

And, please, accuse me of taking the "higher moral ground". I proudly wear that badge. It's how we raised our kids too. Rules are only really stupid if they endanger someone. People only accuse other people of being judgmental when it gets in the way of what they want to do, whether it is morally right or wrong.

Edited by BND

I've been on various forums covering multitudes of subjects for many years now, and I dont think I have ever read a better written post than this. Couldnt agree more. I think I'm in love with you darlacat!

I don't think everyone will agree with you - but thank goodness the world is full of all kinds of people and all kinds of POVs - it would be boring otherwise.

I like opinionated people whether we share the same opinions or not!

quote]

I deleted most of the post so we don't have pages and pages of it, but excellent post.

They share A lot with their family, yet we are trained not to question and comply.

Kicker is they will order more (not just one or two) state they are full and then take it all home.

All this to say, the cost of those individuals ( many more than you think) is indeed factored in the price of said promo, the company make the money.

So much, that they have the promo run every fall for the last 20 years[/i]

If I may ask, what has happened to the price of the all-you-can-eat meal over the past 20 years?

If more and more people continue to partake in this practice, what will happen to the price over the next 20 years?

Edited by comxkid

If I may ask, what has happened to the price of the all-you-can-eat meal over the past 20 years?

If more and more people continue to partake in this practice, what will happen to the price over the next 20 years?

yes, you can:D

First started at $11.99 20 yrs ago, this fall $14.99 in my market ( some markets varies.) Not a major cost overall, IMO, in this day and age with all costs in the preparations, ingredients involved going up;)

)

Edited by ladylikes2cruise

I'm not even tied to the restaurant but your question really doesn't fit IMO. It's safe to say the price of EVERYTHING has gone up in 20 years and will continue to rise over the next 20.

Do you really think if every piece of the shrimp was paid for (not shared or stolen), the price would still be the same as it was 20 years ago? :confused:

have no dog in this race, as I don't drink:eek:

As we are comparing , tho...

My opinion only.....

So much, that they have the promo run every fall for the last 20 years

I like your post....

You do your job. The Corporation makes its decisions in accordance with its profit scheme. Do they pay you to POLICE THE SHRIMP, Do they pay you to go out side their policy not embarrassing or confronting a customer? No. Does the Corporation require you do any of the above? doesn't appear so. So you do your job and let the Corporation decide what of their rules will be enforced and as to what degree.

All these finger pointers and judges. WOW! Have no misunderstanding. This corporation you folk are defending, would reduce your salary and benefits or lay you off in a hot second if they could.

I'm not even tied to the restaurant but your question really doesn't fit IMO. It's safe to say the price of EVERYTHING has gone up in 20 years and will continue to rise over the next 20.

Do you really think if every piece of the shrimp was paid for (not shared or stolen), the price would still be the same as it was 20 years ago? :confused:

The price of the shrimp dinner has indeed increased over the past 20 years even though the cost of the shrimp has decreased (via the acquisition of more supplies from Asian farmed shrimp).

The point that I was trying to make is if more people cheat the system, the company will either eliminate the special or raise prices to compensate for the cheating.

I would also guess that based on current shrimp prices and supplies, you will not see the shrimp special this fall.

Edited by comxkid