Do people share drinks packages?

The zero tolerance cannot be managed consistently through one's life. My guess is that those who have no ability to tolerate anything step out of line on a cruise ship have other areas of life where they don't have the same issues with taking advantage or bending the rules. They are not being honest if they claim to have such high standards - we all work with flexible morals and ethics at times. Having said that - I do respect the position they are taking - and it's a good reminder to look inside ourselves and examine our senses of right and wrong. I'm a good consumer. I buy stuff. I rarely complain. I upgrade. I don't ask for accommodations or free stuff. I'm low maintenance. Not demanding on staff. They make money off me - I don't ask for extras. I'm good with having "stolen" a couple of drinks.

Wow, so perfectly stated. I thought this same exact thought and could not have put it any better. Brings to mind that saying that 'those who shout the loudest usually have the most to hide' . It's easy to be so self-righteous in a setting where your statements and claims are not easily verified.- but unsurprisingly in real life you may end up being the exact opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The subject of this thread is a total set up!!!

Just a little blood in the water to flush out all these do gooders and naysayers.

A set up?? Not at all.

I started this thread, pls read my original post and you will see it was just meant to be a bit humorous, I sure didn't intend for people to get upset over it.

I honestly have no clue what you mean about flushing people out, I really dont, I can assure you, I am not trying to flush anyone out :confused:

What I will say though is thank you to everyone who took time to answer and again, it was only meant to be a wee bit of light hearted holiday banter, so apologies if anyone has misinterpreted me by starting this thread.

Happy Sailings to all of you :)

Then again, what the cruise lines charge for things is also theft - actually, I believe it is more like extortion.;)

I read a couple of your followup posts, too. Whether the cruiseline charges amount to extortion" depends in large part where you come from. In Southern California, it's not unusual to be charged $2.50 for a soda in a restaurant or bar, although in many cases refills are complimentary. I find that alcoholic beverages are more reasonably priced on a cruise ship than in most land restaurants - the Ketel One martini I had in a San Diego hotel cost me more than I've ever paid on a ship (and it wasn't as dry, either). So it depends on where you are and what you order.:)

To the OP, yes, people share, yes, it's theft. But I confess to once, just ONCE:p exceeding the speed limit, so I'm not casting any stones.

gf and i are going pn a cruise with my life time bestfriend next year. The guys are all getting drink package which we think is a good deal. My problem is if my girlfriend is in the room and i want to bring her a drink using my card, some people whould say im stealing. I have always brought a drink too the room for her while she is getting dress for dinner.

I hope everyone who thinks RCL charges too much or that it is ok to steal from a drink package all work for companies who charge below market prices for products and/or services. And, hopefully your company approves of customers stealing from it.

RCL is a company. It wants to make a profit for its shareholders by selling cruises and drinks, etc. I think it has something to do with free enterprise. Maybe the American way. (Sorry to our international readers). :)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

By definition it is not theft. —noun

the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

I paid for ALL the drink packages (for all 5 of us) therefore the term "theft" is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read a couple of your followup posts, too. Whether the cruiseline charges amount to extortion" depends in large part where you come from. In Southern California, it's not unusual to be charged $2.50 for a soda in a restaurant or bar, although in many cases refills are complimentary. I find that alcoholic beverages are more reasonably priced on a cruise ship than in most land restaurants - the Ketel One martini I had in a San Diego hotel cost me more than I've ever paid on a ship (and it wasn't as dry, either). So it depends on where you are and what you order.:)

To the OP, yes, people share, yes, it's theft. But I confess to once, just ONCE:p exceeding the speed limit, so I'm not casting any stones.

And therein lies the difference - I regularly pay $2.00 for a soft drink in a restaurant and get a refill. I don't care how anyone justifies it, $3 for a SINGLE CAN is overcharging. I'm sure that most anyone would have an issue paying $36.00 for a 12 pack of soda at the store (and possibly more, if you have to pay an upfront deposit). It's essentially the same thing - we all expect to pay a bit more while on vacation, but 5-6 times the price? I've never really thought that alcohol prices are out of line. I've found that cruise ship mixed drink prices tend to be about a dollar or two more than what one would pay at a bar/lounge on land. Like I said before, paying $1 a can isn't out of line at all, maybe even $1.50....

Edited by A2Mich

And therein lies the difference - I regularly pay $2.00 for a soft drink in a restaurant and get a refill. I don't care how anyone justifies it, $3 for a SINGLE CAN is overcharging. I'm sure that most anyone would have an issue paying $36.00 for a 12 pack of soda at the store (and possibly more, if you have to pay an upfront deposit). It's essentially the same thing - we all expect to pay a bit more while on vacation, but 5-6 times the price? I've never really thought that alcohol prices are out of line. I've found that cruise ship mixed drink prices tend to be about a dollar or two more than what one would pay at a bar/lounge on land.

Don't go to a pro level sporting event. $5 for water! :eek:

Maybe its something about captive audiences.

I hope everyone who thinks RCL charges too much or that it is ok to steal from a drink package all work for companies who charge below market prices for products and/or services. And, hopefully your company approves of customers stealing from it.

RCL is a company. It wants to make a profit for its shareholders by selling cruises and drinks, etc. I think it has something to do with free enterprise. Maybe the American way. (Sorry to our international readers). :)

I work for a heating and cooling company who is actually about middle of the road on pricing for repairs and replacement costs. We try to stay competitive with other companies. We are all paid very well, the owners all live very comfortably, and we treat our customers fairly. Could we charge more for what we do? Sure - would we be in business very long? Probably not. Using your logic, call me when your furnace breaks down - I'd be happy to charge you $500 for something that should only cost $150. Is that fair? Using some people's logic that charging 3 times more than what you expect to pay is most certainly fair and not letting customers steal from us. Customers would be screaming bloody murder if we did that, and then have to listen to whining and crying customers is no fun either. Better off to just be fair in the first place.

Don't go to a pro level sporting event. $5 for water! :eek:

Maybe its something about captive audiences.

That's exactly what it is. They charge what they want because they leave you no alternative as a captive audience.

It's actually quite amusing how I've been belittled and put down because I won't simply roll over and be taken advantage of without making a fuss over it. Guess I simply don't believe in feeding corporate greed as easily as others. I work too hard for my money, but as my father always told me growing up, "A fool and his money are easily parted."

Edited by A2Mich

I work for a heating and cooling company who is actually about middle of the road on pricing for repairs and replacement costs. We try to stay competitive with other companies. We are all paid very well, the owners all live very comfortably, and we treat our customers fairly. Could we charge more for what we do? Sure - would we be in business very long? Probably not. Using your logic, call me when your furnace breaks down - I'd be happy to charge you $500 for something that should only cost $150. Is that fair? Using some people's logic that charging 3 times more than what you expect to pay is most certainly fair and not letting customers steal from us. Customers would be screaming bloody murder if we did that, and then have to listen to whining and crying customers is no fun either. Better off to just be fair in the first place.

Im not arguing. I get it really.

I would bet RCL would say they are competitive on their prices as well, when compared to other cruise lines.

Can't compare them to a local bar. I think the overhead of providing a cold drink in the middle of the ocean is a bit higher than a local joint.

I helped put on a professional conference recently. We were charged 3.25 plus tax and tip per can of soda....in Ohio. I was told by people who put these things on the cost was "normal".

Im willing to bet some believe your company overcharges. Not saying they are right... just that there is always a few who believe "the man" overcharges.

Im sure to some, my company overcharges, RCL overcharges and your company too. Aint life grand?

Edited by shellunderwater

Im not arguing. I get it really.

I would bet RCL would say they are competitive on their prices as well, when compared to other cruise lines.

Can't compare them to a local bar. I think the overhead of providing a cold drink in the middle of the ocean is a bit higher than a local joint.

I helped put on a professional conference recently. We were charged 3.25 plus tax and tip per can of soda....in Ohio. I was told by people who put these things on the cost was "normal".

Im willing to bet some believe your company overcharges. Not saying they are right... just that there is always a few who believe "the man" overcharges.

Im sure to some, my company overcharges, RCL overcharges and your company too. Aint life grand?

I'm not wanting to argue with anyone either, but some of the cheerleaders here feel their cruise line of choice does no wrong. Actually, I don't feel that bar prices on board a ship for alcoholic drinks are unreasonable, as I also understand that there are obviously higher overhead costs as well as different logistics to provide me with a margarita 500 miles from the nearest land. I'm not arguing that point at all. I still think that a 20 cent can of pop is still way overpriced at $3.00 or so no matter what, given what they are paying for the product and the relatively low cost of storing pallet loads of pop. Like I said before, I think that based on their per can prices, the unlimited fountain packages are a decent deal. Even buying pop at Sam's/Costco, I could drink $40.00 worth of pop in a week's time if I really wanted to. That said, I don't have an issue with the $50 or so cost per person for the package - that is not unreasonable, given how many cans one would need to purchase to fill the insulated cup just twice per day - likely 5-6 cans. Of course fountain pop is less expensive than canned in general, but the upkeep costs on the Freestyle machines may be fairly high.

As someone else had mentioned, the cruise lines have figured out that these packages are profitable in the long run - some people will get more use from it than others, and I think are a smart way to sell their products whereby consumers feel like they are getting their money's worth.

I think the prices should be comparable to the actual location that the ship is based. Here in Spain the cost of alcohol is much cheaper than it is in the States. People in the US are used to paying $10-$15 for a drink, here not so much.

Just to give you an idea of the cost of things here, we went out for a late night bite to each after the year end show for our sons school.

4 adults, 1 kid this is what we had....

2 plates of Calamari (20 pieces of calamari each plate) , 2 plates of battered prawns (15 prawns on each plate) , 1 plate of pork in a mushroom sauce (full dinner size plate). These aren't tapas size plates these are all full sizes plates.

2 Rum and cokes, 2 lager shandys, 1.5 litre bottle of water, 2 cokes

Total Cost 35 euros.

If RCCL set the prices accordingly, you can bet that more people would purchase the drinks packages and wouldn't share them.

Originally Posted by darlacat View Post

The zero tolerance cannot be managed consistently through one's life. My guess is that those who have no ability to tolerate anything step out of line on a cruise ship have other areas of life where they don't have the same issues with taking advantage or bending the rules. They are not being honest if they claim to have such high standards - we all work with flexible morals and ethics at times. Having said that - I do respect the position they are taking - and it's a good reminder to look inside ourselves and examine our senses of right and wrong. I'm a good consumer. I buy stuff. I rarely complain. I upgrade. I don't ask for accommodations or free stuff. I'm low maintenance. Not demanding on staff. They make money off me - I don't ask for extras. I'm good with having "stolen" a couple of drinks.

I whole heartedly agree with this. There are really no perfect people. Spending time doing anything personal at work could also be considering stealing. Taking a pen from work could also be considered stealing. I have brought a rum runner before as well. I'm not against them. However, I also found that I never drank out of it and had to repack it pretty much full to go home but I did enjoy a couple of purchased martinis and glasses of champagne on the ship. One of my daughters might get the soda package. I don't like sodas that much but if I take a sip of hers one day I guess that is stealing also. So be it.

Are we going to get one adult the drink package and both share it the entire time? No because I don't want that kind of stress. It is just too much trouble in my opinion. Part of the fun drinking is going to one of the bars with my husband and ordering a drink each. Not taking turns and sneaking one. That doesn't sound like fun to us. As for the person who bought one package and their kids bought another and they switched drinks I would be willing to bet the bartender who gave them both drinks wouldn't even have a problem with it if you leveled with him/her. You have just switched drinks. I do not consider that stealing. It may be gray area but I bet if you told the cruise police they wouldn't throw you overboard.

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

And therein lies the difference - I regularly pay $2.00 for a soft drink in a restaurant and get a refill. I don't care how anyone justifies it, $3 for a SINGLE CAN is overcharging. I'm sure that most anyone would have an issue paying $36.00 for a 12 pack of soda at the store (and possibly more, if you have to pay an upfront deposit). It's essentially the same thing - we all expect to pay a bit more while on vacation, but 5-6 times the price? I've never really thought that alcohol prices are out of line. I've found that cruise ship mixed drink prices tend to be about a dollar or two more than what one would pay at a bar/lounge on land. Like I said before, paying $1 a can isn't out of line at all, maybe even $1.50....

Try taking a land vacation in Europe - in Spain & Germany last year, a 10-12oz coke in a restaurant cost generally 2-3 Euro (so ~~$3-4) and there were no such things as 'free refills'. Wine or beer was cheaper than a coke.

I think the prices should be comparable to the actual location that the ship is based. Here in Spain the cost of alcohol is much cheaper than it is in the States. People in the US are used to paying $10-$15 for a drink, here not so much.

Just to give you an idea of the cost of things here, we went out for a late night bite to each after the year end show for our sons school.

4 adults, 1 kid this is what we had....

2 plates of Calamari (20 pieces of calamari each plate) , 2 plates of battered prawns (15 prawns on each plate) , 1 plate of pork in a mushroom sauce (full dinner size plate). These aren't tapas size plates these are all full sizes plates.

2 Rum and cokes, 2 lager shandys, 1.5 litre bottle of water, 2 cokes

Total Cost 35 euros.

If RCCL set the prices accordingly, you can bet that more people would purchase the drinks packages and wouldn't share them.

10-15 USD here would get a large martini.

rum and coke is typically 3-5 USD (low end price for Happy Hour)

Domestic draft 1.50-3 USD

Big City bars would charge more (I live in a summer vacation destination)

There are good deals on shrimp and seafood also if you know where to go.

I'm looking forward to visiting Spain and am happy to hear I can get a great meal and avoid the fleece the tourist prices

:cj

My problem is if my girlfriend is in the room and i want to bring her a drink using my card, some people whould say im stealing. I have always brought a drink too the room for her while she is getting dress for dinner.

Plenty of people go up with a card and say, put one on the package and charge me for the other one. They will normally charge you for the lower priced of the two. You don't really have a "problem", your card can still order drinks you pay for. Get a drink for you on the package, and pay $5 or whatever for hers and you'll feel like you did the "right" and "honest" thing.

I'm looking forward to visiting Spain and am happy to hear I can get a great meal and avoid the fleece the tourist prices

Just stay out of the tourist spots and you wont get taken for a ride. If you are in Spain on a week day look for Menu del Dia (menu of the day, normally 3course meal starter, main, dessert and a drink for between 8-10 euros, depending on where you are. Hearty portions. McDonalds or Burger King menu will cost you almost 8 euros so it is worth getting the menu del dia for some great eats.

That's exactly what it is. They charge what they want because they leave you no alternative as a captive audience.

It's actually quite amusing how I've been belittled and put down because I won't simply roll over and be taken advantage of without making a fuss over it. Guess I simply don't believe in feeding corporate greed as easily as others. I work too hard for my money, but as my father always told me growing up, "A fool and his money are easily parted."

who's belittling you?

I won't buy a 3 buck coke ,I'll drink included drinks and juices. If you do not like prices do not buy it . I find it amusing on how people justify taking things.

I was in the grocery store once and the lady in front of me forgot ( at least I thought she forgot) to put a couple of green peppers on the counter from her cart. She put them on the counter but told me she wanted to take them rather then paying 50 cents each for them.Sad

I don't buy the drink package and find many of their drink prices reasonable . Beer and soda are a little steep

Edited by Captain Jake

Those prices might be for your local Elks hall but not realistic for any restaurant in bar we visit. Unlimited soda is typically $2.50 - $3.00. Cheapest draft is $4, mixed drink starts at $5.

I won't buy a 3 buck coke ,I'll drink included drinks and juices. If you do not like prices do not buy it . I find it amusing on how people justify taking things.

I don't buy the drink package and find many of their drink prices reasonable . Beer and soda are a little steep

Exactly. If you don't feel that the price is appropriate don't buy it. Especially with the packages, if you don't feel you will get "your money's worth", don't buy the package, but get what you want as you want it. You can even drink the free drinks :eek: and not spend a penny.

If everyone buys the package, then shares (oh, its just one or two drinks), the cruise lines will make sure they are getting their $$ out of it and keep offering it at the current, or higher (if they feel they aren't getting their $$) price. Otherwise, if people either don't buy the package or use it as it is designed for one person, maybe it will be adjusted to either add more items or even bring it down a little bit. Yes, I know the price drop is unlikely but with the latest version of the drink plan it did add more so it is a possibility.

As an aside, when the drinks packages were first introduced everyone in the cabin did not have to buy them. They saw that they were being shared a lot so put in the rule where all had to purchase. Not sure what changed to make them go back, but they are watching them and will adjust as needed.