Do people share drinks packages?

Bottled still and sparkling water is included in the Replenish and Ultimate packages. Bottled still water is also included in the Premium package.

So, the poster said he would drink a coke ( from his daughters soda package) and she would have bottled water (from his Replenish package) therefore, both drinks have been paid for and they are just being redistributed. I doubt that anyone would see that as theft.

So, the poster said he would drink a coke ( from his daughters soda package) and she would have bottled water (from his Replenish package) therefore, both drinks have been paid for and they are just being redistributed. I doubt that anyone would see that as theft.

Seems to me someone is getting a drink their package does not include.

Ok, I'll finally fess up. We went many cruises with out the soda package and on Jewel in 2012 before the new freestyle machines were installed my wife got the package and I got the bottled water. One night at dinner she ordered a diet coke and the water brought her a regular coke. She told the water and he brought her a diet, but he left the regular coke. It tore at me for 5 minutes when he didn't take the illicit drink away. I finally broke down and drank it, in complete fear that this was an entrapment sting and I would be thrown off the ship in Costa Maya, or possibly demoted back to Gold. Fortunately none of that happened, but the pure stress taught me how bad that is. Now we with the Freestyle machines we frequently both get that package.

That doesn't make it theft though. I doubt even Royal cares who actually drinks which drink as long as both have been paid for under a package.

Exactly. I don't see it as theft as both drinks have been paid for, who gets them is inconsequential. Someone feels this is not for them don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BTW, I do not advocate theft in any way - I just think that cruise lines charge way too much for many things - same as resorts, theme parks, etc. I understand companies are in business to make money and have to make money to stay in business, but don't have to make a killing on every warm body.

if you truly believe that then why do you continue to cruise?

we stopped going to certain restaurants when they kept raising prices and shrinking the menu. my father stopped drinking a certain liquor when his Local bar raised the price on it by a dollar and started making it weaker.

if you no longer feel that cruising is a good value for the money, then stop taking them.

That doesn't make it theft though. I doubt even Royal cares who actually drinks which drink as long as both have been paid for under a package.

Then RCI would stipulate that the beverage packages could be shared. While your specific example may be splitting hairs, it still is an indication of a way to benefit from something not paid for or not intended by the program.

Did I read somewhere that you had to leave 15 minutes between each drink? If that's true, it is no longer unlimited and so is also theft the other way round.

The soda machines impose a 15 minute wait for soda. Other drinks (including soda from a bar or restaurant) have no minimum time interval.

Edited by clarea

Ok, I'll finally fess up. We went many cruises with out the soda package and on Jewel in 2012 before the new freestyle machines were installed my wife got the package and I got the bottled water. One night at dinner she ordered a diet coke and the water brought her a regular coke. She told the water and he brought her a diet, but he left the regular coke. It tore at me for 5 minutes when he didn't take the illicit drink away. I finally broke down and drank it, in complete fear that this was an entrapment sting and I would be thrown off the ship in Costa Maya, or possibly demoted back to Gold. Fortunately none of that happened, but the pure stress taught me how bad that is. Now we with the Freestyle machines we frequently both get that package.

Naughty :p

BTW, I do not advocate theft in any way - I just think that cruise lines charge way too much for many things - same as resorts, theme parks, etc. I understand companies are in business to make money and have to make money to stay in business, but don't have to make a killing on every warm body.

No one is forcing you to buy any of these things so , no, your argument is totally invalid.

I ordered one of those drink of the days and couldn't stand it. Gave it to my wife to finish who was not on the drink package. That was her only drink on the cruise because she hates paying so much.

I am now waiting to hear how many years in prison (or maybe execution) I will receive for my act. I also smuggle liquor on the ship so I can have a drink on my balcony without going to the bar---yes, with the drink package paid for.

...if the break-even point on a drink package is 5-6 drinks per day and a person isn't breaking even - I wouldn't be at all critical of a person (like myself) who picked up a drink or two for someone else. The cruiseline is making a profit on the package and the package buyer is getting their money's worth and not much, (if anything) more.

I would be critical of 2 people sharing a drink package and consuming 10-15 drinks per day between the 2 of them - and intentionally abusing the system. That bugs me - because it is people like that who test the system to the point where the system needs to change.

I guess we all have our line in the sand - I'll put my toe over, but not my whole foot.

...if the break-even point on a drink package is 5-6 drinks per day and a person isn't breaking even - I wouldn't be at all critical of a person (like myself) who picked up a drink or two for someone else. The cruiseline is making a profit on the package and the package buyer is getting their money's worth and not much, (if anything) more.

I would be critical of 2 people sharing a drink package and consuming 10-15 drinks per day between the 2 of them - and intentionally abusing the system. That bugs me - because it is people like that who test the system to the point where the system needs to change.

I guess we all have our line in the sand - I'll put my toe over, but not my whole foot.

Where I fault the above is that you should have a feel for whether you will be drinking the 5 - 6 drinks a day before going in. If you feel you will not, don't buy the package. Don't later say oops I am not drinking enough so let me buy someone else a few.

The packages are there for those that feel they will benefit them in one way or another. Definitely not for everyone.

Sometimes I find this forum really funny. People defend RCI as though it was a relative, rather than a company taking millions.

The only reason RCI have packages is that they make more money from them. A bit like gym membership. They do not need to police necessarily strictly whether someone drinks an odd fizzy drink that they shouldn't, it doesn't make financial sense.

Just as we don't ask for money back when there are not snails on the menu.

Most people are relatively honest but also most people bend rules occasionally. Just as companies do.

I love sailing with RC but I am also aware that they only want my money. No different from any company. That is what they are in business for.

...yes, probably shouldn't have bought drink packages if we weren't going to fully utilize them - but you know - first cruise, first tropical holiday - people don't start to really understand their own preferences and habits until they are in a situation - I feel properly spanked for not knowing better so good job on that :-)

...yes, probably shouldn't have bought drink packages if we weren't going to fully utilize them - but you know - first cruise, first tropical holiday - people don't start to really understand their own preferences and habits until they are in a situation - I feel properly spanked for not knowing better so good job on that :-)

Don't worry,I'm sure RC don't feel bad about it :) after all, that's why they want to sell it to passengers.

Edited by Adayatatime

Sometimes I find this forum really funny. People defend RCI as though it was a relative, rather than a company taking millions.

The only reason RCI have packages is that they make more money from them. A bit like gym membership. They do not need to police necessarily strictly whether someone drinks an odd fizzy drink that they shouldn't, it doesn't make financial sense.

Just as we don't ask for money back when there are not snails on the menu.

Most people are relatively honest but also most people bend rules occasionally. Just as companies do.

I love sailing with RC but I am also aware that they only want my money. No different from any company. That is what they are in business for.

The zero tolerance cannot be managed consistently through one's life. My guess is that those who have no ability to tolerate anything step out of line on a cruise ship have other areas of life where they don't have the same issues with taking advantage or bending the rules. They are not being honest if they claim to have such high standards - we all work with flexible morals and ethics at times. Having said that - I do respect the position they are taking - and it's a good reminder to look inside ourselves and examine our senses of right and wrong. I'm a good consumer. I buy stuff. I rarely complain. I upgrade. I don't ask for accommodations or free stuff. I'm low maintenance. Not demanding on staff. They make money off me - I don't ask for extras. I'm good with having "stolen" a couple of drinks.

Okay.... I confess... I gave my DH the left of diet soda I couldn't finish,

my DS the left over drink I didn't like (didn't want to waste...:rolleyes:)

last night ... please forgive me (need to go to confession) tried the grapes before buying them..

The zero tolerance cannot be managed consistently through one's life. My guess is that those who have no ability to tolerate anything step out of line on a cruise ship have other areas of life where they don't have the same issues with taking advantage or bending the rules. They are not being honest if they claim to have such high standards - we all work with flexible morals and ethics at times. Having said that - I do respect the position they are taking - and it's a good reminder to look inside ourselves and examine our senses of right and wrong. I'm a good consumer. I buy stuff. I rarely complain. I upgrade. I don't ask for accommodations or free stuff. I'm low maintenance. Not demanding on staff. They make money off me - I don't ask for extras. I'm good with having "stolen" a couple of drinks.

Excellent post.

Sure, and some smuggle booze on the ship and remove tips, there are all types

The tip removers should def keep their toothbrushes in their safe ;)

I never leave my toothbrush left out and I always tip. Just not going to chance it.

After this, some may need an attorney.

May I suggest Bob Loblaw.

Ooooo! And that's what we call a law-bomb! That's a low blow, Loblaw.

A Bob Loblaw Law Bomb.

We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Loblaw.

the zero tolerance cannot be managed consistently through one's life. My guess is that those who have no ability to tolerate anything step out of line on a cruise ship have other areas of life where they don't have the same issues with taking advantage or bending the rules. They are not being honest if they claim to have such high standards - we all work with flexible morals and ethics at times. Having said that - i do respect the position they are taking - and it's a good reminder to look inside ourselves and examine our senses of right and wrong. I'm a good consumer. I buy stuff. I rarely complain. I upgrade. I don't ask for accommodations or free stuff. I'm low maintenance. Not demanding on staff. They make money off me - i don't ask for extras. I'm good with having "stolen" a couple of drinks.

*like* :)