Do people share drinks packages?

The price of the shrimp dinner has indeed increased over the past 20 years even though the cost of the shrimp has decreased (via the acquisition of more supplies from Asian farmed shrimp).

The point that I was trying to make is if more people cheat the system, the company will either eliminate the special or raise prices to compensate for the cheating.

I would also guess that based on current shrimp prices and supplies, you will not see the shrimp special this fall.

I knew the point you were trying to make, I just don't think the question worked to make your point.

So many people saying 'I don't drink nearly the amount on my package', 'my son/daughter doesn't need a package', 'my wife only drinks 1 coke on Thursdays', etc etc

Just don't buy the package. Pay by the drink. You'll save money and everyone will get what they want.

Wow if this was the only thread I had ever read in the RCI forum I would be considering finding another cruise line....

This is one of those topics that started out completely innocent as a light hearted question posed by someone with no interest in sharing drink packages and turned into a group of honest good hearted people who admitted to not being perfect (hint: none of us are) and the pious counterparts to those people who feel that we somehow live in a black and white world. Safe to say that those are the type of people I certainly wouldn't want to be around on a cruise.

As to the original topic at hand the sharing of drink packages has most likely been happening since the moment they were offered and it will never stop as long as packages are offered. Also Royal knows it happens and knew it would happen before they ever started offering it.

I am sure that I will get blasted from certain people now for not holding a firm stand against the ultimate evil of drink sharing ;)

Edited by kylen721
emoticon broke :)

I work for a large bank headquartered in Northeastern Spain and I can tell you that management's principals regarding theft are pretty much the same as ours here in North America.

Hmm, I'm guessing that I bank with the bank that you work for... :cool:

Wow if this was the only thread I had ever read in the RCI forum I would be considering finding another cruise line....

This is one of those topics that started out completely innocent as a light hearted question posed by someone with no interest in sharing drink packages and turned into a group of honest good hearted people who admitted to not being perfect (hint: none of us are) and the pious counterparts to those people who feel that we somehow live in a black and white world. Safe to say that those are the type of people I certainly wouldn't want to be around on a cruise.

As to the original topic at hand the sharing of drink packages has most likely been happening since the moment they were offered and it will never stop as long as packages are offered. Also Royal knows it happens and knew it would happen before they ever started offering it.

No Blast here...I commend you!:)

Honestly though I do not think this thread was ever to be taken seriously....the poster put blood in the water...with such a silly topic. It's been entertaining though :)

I am sure that I will get blasted from certain people now for not holding a firm stand against the ultimate evil of drink sharing

:)

.....so far, there have been no-one that i've seen in this thread who has claimed to intentionally purchase and share the drink package in order to save a bunch of money, beat the system, get 2 for 1 - but there have been a couple of people who have admitted grabbing the occasional drink for a family member.

On the other hand. :D ;)

on our last cruise amongst our tablemates were a family of four where the oldest daughter was old enough to drink and the younger one was pre-teen. What they did was register as 2 separate staterooms, putting the younger daughter in with her father. The father bought a drinks package, the family were only on hook for one package (because the other person in his room was a minor) and they all drank plenty on the cruise

the replenish package i think is just sparkling water.. No bottled water... In that. 100 dollars per person for the week is ridiculous. I will refill the cups and get the drinks and if my kids want one they can have one.
Edited by Big_G

I am sure that I will get blasted from certain people now for not holding a firm stand against the ultimate evil of drink sharing ;)

I love the spin...."honest good hearted people" versus the "pious counterparts".

I can promise you that some of those honest good-hearted people aren't so honest and good-hearted and some of the pious people aren't so pious.

Of course Royal knew it would happen....but if it escalates to a point where it does not make financial sense to the company, they're are going to change it....and it won't be to anyone's benefit.

It's a good program, why push the envelope and screw it up for everyone?

Edited by comxkid

I love the spin...."honest good hearted people" versus the "pious counterparts".

I can promise you that some of those honest good-hearted people aren't so honest and good-hearted and some of the pious people aren't so pious.

Of course Royal knew it would happen....but if it escalates to a point where it does not make financial sense to the company, they're are going to change it....and it won't be to anyone's benefit.

I just had to try and be as dramatic as some of the other people in this topic :p

I am not going to take actual sides on the issue because either way its a losing battle I just am very surprised by how some posters handled this topic.

I just had to try and be as dramatic as some of the other people in this topic :p

I am not going to take actual sides on the issue because either way its a losing battle I just am very surprised by how some posters handled this topic.

I guess that I'm jaded, I expect this kind of back and forth on every controversial thread. The name calling does get tiresome.

As he pointed out, you did take sides, and made it clear which one you're on. ;)

As he pointed out, you did take sides, and made it clear which one you're on. ;)

The only side I intended to take in my original post is that I am against people personally attacking people (parenting style, moral values, etc) on a public forum.

The only side I intended to take in my original post is that I am against people personally attacking people (parenting style, moral values, etc) on a public forum.

The fact that you apparently only perceive attacks from one side and not the other, continues to confirm your own bias & "side." :cool:

The fact that you apparently only perceive attacks from one side and not the other, continues to confirm your own bias & "side." :cool:

et cet·er·a

et ˈsetərə,ˈsetrə/

adverb

adverb: etcetera

used at the end of a list to indicate that further, similar items are included.

"we're trying to resolve problems of obtaining equipment, drugs, et cetera"

synonyms: and so on, and so forth, and the rest, and/or the like, and suchlike, among others, et al., etc.; More

indicating that a list is too tedious or clichéd to give in full.

"we've all got to do our duty, pull our weight, et cetera, et cetera"

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to be a part of this epic thread. Nice to see the Perpetually Outraged Society (POS) out in full force ;)

You know a thread is going badly when people are copying and pasting word definitions all over the place. Pro Tip: If you're doing that you've already lost the argument. When you find yourself heading over to http://www.dictionary.com, just stop, take a deep breath, and turn off the computer. :p

Edited by BamaGuy44

I cant believe its lasted almost 72 hours. Are the moderators on a cruise this week? :D

It is a good thing that I don't gamble as when I went to bed last night I would have bet that this thread would have been locked, or gone, my the time I got here today.

.....so far, there have been no-one that I've seen in this thread who has claimed to intentionally purchase and share the drink package in order to save a bunch of money, beat the system, get 2 for 1 - but there have been a couple of people who have admitted grabbing the occasional drink for a family member.

In my case - my husband and I bought the drink package, (on Carnival - this wasn't even on RCI), and didn't even come close to breaking even on it, (yes, I've been well scolded for my stupidity in this thread for doing such a thing as making a mistake with a purchase). We just were not drinking to the level that we thought we would. We had a 20 year old with us, (who is not considered underaged at home or anywhere else in the world outside of the US), and did, through the course of the cruise - get a couple of drinks for her. Call the police! Carnival got their profit out of us on both drink packages - and as much as I aided and abetted a serious crime - it wasn't a serious crime to me. I'm Canadian - people start drinking at around 18 here - cultural difference. And every port we went to was the same - we were not on US land.

OK, so now that we've established that I'm a thief and a criminal and should be drawn and quartered - let's remind you that we didn't get on the boat at 11am on Day 1 to gorge ourselves in the buffet. We didn't order extra entrees and desserts and take one bite of them. We spent a stupid bundle on pictures. We bought crap in the gift store. We auto tipped and gave extra to the staff. We ate in the specialty restaurant. We didn't eat everything in sight or waste food. We went to the spa. We didn't sneak booze on the ship.

Carnival would probably love to have us back - we are the kind of customers that create profit for providers. We were low maintenance and we spent money - on optional stuff. A lot of money.

The Cruise industry is not a social service - they are not providing us with vacation options out of the goodness of their hearts - they have calculated and capitalized over every single profit potential that they can. They will charge exactly as much for services as the market will bear and not a penny less. They have studied and put into practice every possible way that they can to get as much money out of us that they can. That's business!

Anyone who thinks that the prices would drop if they never shared a drink from a package or who ordered an extra dessert is sadly mistaken.

I am super judgemental of people who intentionally go out to gouge - people who intend to take far more than what they pay for and look to save a buck at someone else's expense at every turn. People who take and take and who don't want to tip or purchase anything - ever - but are first in line for anything that is included. The spectrum of breaking rules, bending rules and taking advantage of something the odd time is pretty big - I don't think one size fits all.

I'm not suggesting that anyone get anyone else a drink on their drink package if they don't want to. If that isn't in your comfort zone, even if doing so would only help you break even - don't do it. But on our next cruise (RCI), my husband and I will either both get it or neither of us will - so no-one worry your pretty heads about us - we're trying to learn from last time when we really didn't drink as much as we thought we would. Paying as we go is probably smarter for us.

I guess in my very, very, very limited cruising experience - I saw more waste, more gluttony than anywhere I've ever been - why don't all of you ethics police go after the eaters and claim that if they weren't such gluttons, the prices will go down, (they won't). And I saw more gouging on behalf of the cruise line, (price of pictures, price of internet, price of bottled water etc). In my opinion, the bad, taking advantage of behavior is equally present on both sides - lots of greed to go around and probably fairly distributed.

This thread is replete with glass houses but there is comfort on the internet that anyone wagging their fingers will never be exposed when they do something that isn't 100% on the up & up. And I say when, not if.

Thank you voice of reason! Perfect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums