Do people share drinks packages?

Ok did my best not to chime in on this thread ,but I can't hold back any more ......

1 if the sea pass card with your name on it get you the drink u want Perfect

2 blatantly getting drinks for other on your card is wrong .

3 yes maybe the package price is a bit high , but there's no stress when ordering and trying something new ( worth every penny )

4 if your bitchin and moaning about the price of the package , don't get one or find a different holiday venue u can afford

Finally for everyone that has an opinion,you will find tons of people to tell you your wrong , but maybe be the bigger person and accept that that's their option and you can still believe your right without hashing all this out on a forum that is suppose to be for intelligent information on the cruise ship industry (most of the time)

I have had the drink package twice and will continue to get it ,and enjoy the ( what I fell to be the ) advantage of ordering with out the stress of a big bill at the end , break even or not

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Funbobby, I also like it for the convenience, I do think we will break even ( the price of package compared to pay as you go onboard) but if we "almost" broke even, we dont really care, for me the convenience of having it all payed for makes budgeting easier.

This is our first cruise that we have had packages and we are chuffed to bits that its all booked in advance.

We plan on booking most things before we even go in the plane, drinks packages, chopps, possible excursions and we are going to The Magic Kingdom before cruise and we will buy those tickets in advance too.

I am afraid principle is a mater of interpretation. Your principle might be completely different to say someone from France, or Russia, Ukraine or Spain. There are many people from all different walks of life that see things very very different from the North American way.

Not talking about a persons principles although they definitely questionable here

I am referring to the principle of one ticket and two people to one paid drink two people

It is the same no matter where you are from

It's physics really there are two people in both instances and only one has paid making the other stealing

Simple

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If folks can't afford to ( or don't want to ) pay the prices that the cruise lines charge for drinks then perhaps they should find another holiday. The prices are known about before you get on board so it's not like it's a surprise.

And yes, I also work hard for my money too and don't like to see it frittered away....but I enjoy cruising and am prepared to pay the premium prices for the holiday experience. I work damn hard all year to be able to do it.

This is probably a good summation of my feelings. I will pay the price they demand, as I don't have a choice in the matter. My whole issue earlier is how many people easily justify charging the prices they do. We all know they overcharge for what a product is worth, but the fact that it is a vacation still doesn't make it right that prices are what they are. The simple justification by many is partly why prices are set as they are - if the consumer doesn't care what they spend, we can charge what we want.

At any rate, my entire family is purchasing at least the soda package, but will look at their other options. The thought never crossed my mind of sharing one or two packages for the entire family - I know that's not right. Whether or not it fits the legal description of theft is debatable, but sharing the product, though paid for, with unintended recipients isn't right.

And I saw more gouging on behalf of the cruise line, (price of pictures, price of internet, price of bottled water etc). In my opinion, the bad, taking advantage of behavior is equally present on both sides - lots of greed to go around and probably fairly distributed.

Nicely stated - this has been my point, but was quickly told to stop cruising or going on vacation because I feel as if I'm being gouged. Never once said that I wouldn't pay the prices or cheat the system by sharing drink packages. Simple justification of price gouging IS part of why prices on many things are so high - some people simply turn a blind eye and think nothing of it. Like I said before, companies will charge what they do because they can get away with it and consumers will still pay what they are demanding.

This is probably a good summation of my feelings. I will pay the price they demand, as I don't have a choice in the matter. My whole issue earlier is how many people easily justify charging the prices they do. We all know they overcharge for what a product is worth, but the fact that it is a vacation still doesn't make it right that prices are what they are. The simple justification by many is partly why prices are set as they are - if the consumer doesn't care what they spend, we can charge what we want.

At any rate, my entire family is purchasing at least the soda package, but will look at their other options. The thought never crossed my mind of sharing one or two packages for the entire family - I know that's not right. Whether or not it fits the legal description of theft is debatable, but sharing the product, though paid for, with unintended recipients isn't right.

I don't think people are justifying the cost, but as a product, the price is the price. If someone chooses to spend that money, then they don't get to change the rules. Whether the prices are "right" or not is set by demand. If people quit purchasing it, the price will have to drop or the product will disappear. The package prices are driven by what people have been willing to pay just like anything else you buy. Market value is set by what people are willing to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me up to date info re drinks packages inboard the Vision if the Seas ...my DH doesn't touch alcohol . Would I be able to buy a drinks package (alcohol) for just me and then buy a soft drinks one for him ?

Also if we have drinks packages do they still add the 15% onto our OBA for every drink we buy .

Sorry for so nanny questions , but it's been a few years since our last cruise and there's been a few changes on board .

TIA

Can anyone give me up to date info re drinks packages inboard the Vision if the Seas ...my DH doesn't touch alcohol . Would I be able to buy a drinks package (alcohol) for just me and then buy a soft drinks one for him ? Yes

Also if we have drinks packages do they still add the 15% onto our OBA for every drink we buy. Only the soda package has 15% added to the published price.

Sorry for so nanny questions , but it's been a few years since our last cruise and there's been a few changes on board .

TIA

See answers above in RED.

Firstly, I must point out we have already purchased our packages so I am in noooo way planning on doing this, this is simply a question out of curiosity, nothing else.

Obviously, if anyone does and is caught then they have lost the package and no refund ... but do folk still chance it??

In my head I have a funny image of someone acting suspicious, passing a sneaky labadoozie to their partner, like some dodgy drug deal from an old movie lol, changing bathing suit and sunglasses several times a day as a disguise lol :D

So what do u reckon, do folk still risk it?

No. Never have and it is not the sort of thing we would do. Both of us like different things to drink, also being D no need.

On our last cruise, the couple at the table next to us said they had purchased two drink packages. However, they decided they really didn't need both so got a refund on one. Why didn't they need two? They realized that husband could drink the beer and wife could drink the wine from the same package. I just cringed and kept my mouth shut. Smaller ship so I ran into them quite often and both were always having their preferred choice of beverage.

I don't think it will be long before everything is included anyways. Then what will everyone have to joust about.

I would love to see an all-inclusive non alcoholic beverage system included in the base price of a cruise - even it means a price increase - it would eliminate the confusion of what is and isn't included and be equitable to most passengers - although there may be some passengers who drink only water/coffee/tea and would not want to pay a 'surcharge' for soft drinks/fresh juice/etc in their cruise price - so maybe that is why cruise lines don't want to fine tune it any more so than they now offer....in addition to the profit they make...

And to your last sentence - it's human nature to find something to 'joust' about - and that is evidenced here on any and every subject - however it's not cool when it becomes personal or unruly - civility wins the day.

And the best lesson my parents taught me - there is honesty and there is dishonesty, there is no in between.

I would love to see an all-inclusive non alcoholic beverage system included in the base price of a cruise - even it means a price increase - it would eliminate the confusion of what is and isn't included and be equitable to most passengers - although there may be some passengers who drink only water/coffee/tea and would not want to pay a 'surcharge' for soft drinks/fresh juice/etc in their cruise price - so maybe that is why cruise lines don't want to fine tune it any more so than they now offer....in addition to the profit they make...

And to your last sentence - it's human nature to find something to 'joust' about - and that is evidenced here on any and every subject - however it's not cool when it becomes personal or unruly - civility wins the day.

And the best lesson my parents taught me - there is honesty and there is dishonesty, there is no in between.

I think that RCI has answered this very well with their Royal Replenish Package. It provides an almost all inclusive non-alcoholic package for those who want it. Just buy it and consider it part of the base price of your cruise. For those who are happy without it the base price of their cruise is somewhat less than yours. Everyone is happy.

RCI makes a killing on drink packages, as do all cruise lines that offer such packages. When computing the amount to charge they look at many factors and as such set their prices accordingly to make a ton of money....

some things to think about

Typical costs for a normal bar or restaurant (RCI is huge..not normal they get better pricing)

Liquor: total cost 17%

Bottle Beer: 24%

Draft Beer: 21%

Wine: 30%

Soft Drinks: 7%

so I am willing to bet that they make about 65 - 70 % profit on average on all of their packages combined after tipping out 15% to staff who serve them....as such they take shrink into account and I bet they really don't care who shares because it is such a small number of people who do share.....there would have to be a ton of people ripping off the system for them to feel it fleet wide.

Look at it this way restaurants across the country have 2 for 1 drink deals everyday, and in all of my family's bars and restaurants people split that round all the time....but they know that will happen and it is absorbed in the cost....

Now do I think it is stealing on a cruise to do it? No. Do we do it, no...I am on vacation trying to relax, the last thing I want to worry about is how to swipe a drink for my wife and not get caught or feel embarrassed.....I'm here to have fun and relax.....

Can I ask a question of some American's here. I see complaints that a can of Coke is $2.95 on board a ship. What do you pay out of say a vending machine an a mall.

In Aus it's about $2.50 - $3.00 a can. Upto $5 n some restaurants. The one at work is $1.50 and that is a bargain, even a 24 pack at a Supermarket is about 60 cents a can.

Just curious.

Can I ask a question of some American's here. I see complaints that a can of Coke is $2.95 on board a ship. What do you pay out of say a vending machine an a mall.

In Aus it's about $2.50 - $3.00 a can. Upto $5 n some restaurants. The one at work is $1.50 and that is a bargain, even a 24 pack at a Supermarket is about 60 cents a can.

Just curious.

Not cans, but I've seen 12oz bottles for $1.25 in vending machines.

Just curious.

For a can in a vending machine, maybe $1, maybe less, depending on where it is.

Edited by time4u2go

Not cans, but I've seen 12oz bottles for $1.25 in vending machines.

By google 375mls [a can here] is 12. something US oz so about the same size, no wonder some are arcing up over $2.95 whereas I find it OK.

Are they glass bottles or plastic just curious.

Just curious.

12 packs at the supermarket are often on sale for $2.99 or 25 cents a can.

Just curious.

Most vending machines I've come across are $1 for a 12 oz can.

To buy in 12 pack is generally around $3, so about 25 cents a can. Sometimes you can get 4 12 packs for 10 bucks, so just under 21 cents a can. 12 oz cans

Fountain Soda prices generally run $0.99 to $2.99; also typically with unlimited refills.

Edited by LMaxwell

Most vending machines I've come across are $1 for a 12 oz can.

To buy in 12 pack is generally around $3, so about 25 cents a can. Sometimes you can get 4 12 packs for 10 bucks, so just under 21 cents a can. 12 oz cans

Fountain Soda prices generally run $0.99 to $2.99; also typically with unlimited refills.

So about 1/2 what we pay here, but I think in general wages, at least basic wage is about double here than in USA so t all works out when the $ is close to parity abut 94c at the moment.