What size luggage to take on flight from Calif. to cruise terminal in Boston?

Linsifer

I've only flown to one cruise terminal in the past (Seattle for an Alaskan cruise). We ended up taking VERY heavy 28 or 29" suitcases plus carry-on duffel bags. Part of that is because we had to bring layers of clothing for Alaska.

I would like to take 25" spinner suitcases this time, as well as carry-on duffels. When we're able to drive to the port we always take the larger luggage for a week or longer. But, flying and having to trek around Boston a couple days before and after our cruise makes it cumbersome.

My question: Will we be able to carry everything we need in 25" luggage (each) plus the duffels? We're going on a New England/Canada cruise in Sept. 2015. I know that the weather could go either way, so that means some warmer clothing. Not a typical tropical cruise. We're not big formal dressers, but it would be nice to have at least one outfit each. I know I can wear different tops with the same capris and pants for casual days and evenings. I mostly wear sandals. My husband wears jeans and shirts and will bring another pair of shoes in his suitcase.

So, what size luggage do you suggest?

We used the same luggage for our Alaska cruise as we do for Caribbean cruises. It seems the extra clothing we took for the cooler weather was offset by the things we didn't take, such as snorkeling equipment, extra swimsuits, etc.

I've only flown to one cruise terminal in the past (Seattle for an Alaskan cruise).

My question: Will we be able to carry everything we need in 25" luggage (each) plus the duffels?

Actually I think you probably flew to an airport, not a cruise terminal. Sorry I couldn't resist:);)

Only you can decide what bags to take. Start laying stuff out and see what fits where. I've flown north of the arctic circle on hunting expeditions with a large rolling duffle and small carry-on. With all the gear and clothing and boots necessary for that, I can't imagine anyone can't go on a cruise with one good sized bag and a carry on if they really want to. For us it's come down to this: SIZE of the checked bags is secondary, the primary focus is keeping them (one each) under 50 pounds. Even better at 40 pounds to leave room for bringing home booze and other purchases:D

The only comment that jumped out at me was that you plan on wearing sandals. I know there are people who wear them all winter, but it can get chilly in the fall in New England so you may want to bring some regular shoes. If its 50 and rainy, I wouldn't want to be wearing sandals.

I agree that this will be a cool weather cruise.

We bought jackets in Bar Harbor because the sweater I brought just was not warm enough. I was glad I did when we had foggy, misty weather in Halifax, too. In Portland, Maine it was sunny and warm enough for shorts. But, that was the only shorts day. We left from Baltimore so we used the outdoor pools on the first and last 1.5 sea days. We used the indoor solarium at the other times.

The average high for the Canadian ports for Sept are 63-65 degrees. I know that sounds fine. But, bear in mind that the high is for a short period of the day and since they are on the ocean they often start and end the day with fog/mist.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

It appears you are sailing on the Brilliance on Sep 27, which is still early in the season. Layers are the answer. One good waterproof jacket and some long sleeved tops like turtlenecks and fuzzy's. Stretchy hat to cover your ears and stretchy gloves can be useful. A long underwear top is a good base for the layers. Look at the LLBean site to see what is being sold to the New Englanders for fall.

IMO less is more for these trips. I did the Brilliance 15 day TA last Sep, which went to the Arctic Circle and Iceland, in a 22 inch carry on and a rolling backpack. I was also in Paris, London, Le Havre, and Portland where it was hot. My total luggage weighed about 35 pounds and I was able to carry it onto the plane. With no extra baggage charges, I had a healthy laundry budget.

RCL has become much more casual in recent years. No need to haul along a lot of formal wear if you don't want to. Many folks will be smart casual on those evenings and there will be men neatly dressed in shirts and ties, but no jacket.

Perplexed as to why OP would think that CC posters would know if they can fit everything they're wanting to bring in a 25" suitcase and duffels ?

For the record regardless of where I travel and what season it is I use only an 18" carry carryon and a tote . It's all in the art of packing.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Good rule of thumb -- bring the smallest luggage possible.

Our Canada/New England cruise was mid October. As others have said, layers is a good policy. For me, a light, waterproof jacket with a heavy sweater if it got cold was a good solution. Most days the jacket alone was fine. Looking back at our pictures, most people wore their jackets most days but some afternoons you can see a few with jackets ties around waists or necks. I also took a pair of light weight gloves and, in lieu of an umbrella, a water resistant hat. Really had only one colder port day and that was the first one in Portland, ME. Especially on the harbor tour we took, the gloves were a welcome addition.

Pull out everything you plan to pack & see what will fit in the smallest bag possible, then get rid of anything that doesn't fit - or make a decision that you absolutely MUST have that item and use a bigger bag.

I will leave behind things I love if the item is bulky or heavy. So that means I tend to carry a lightweight sweater or hoodie and lightweight jacket or anorak - no big fisherman knit sweaters!

I always plan to wear skirts/capris/pants on casual evenings and then again during the day for touring. That saves packing an entire day wardrobe and an entire evening wardrobe. I always pack formal wear ... but sometimes I'll wear the same dress more than once with a jacket one time and different accessories.

I now have a big spinner and smaller spinner. I'll take rolling bags over duffels any day - so much easier to haul around. I will also carry a smaller backpack or cross body bag instead of a big tote - again, easier on the back and shoulders.

Edited by JanineM

Thank you for your replies. I realize this is more than a year out. I was just curious what the norm is. Yes, everyone packs differently. As I've gotten older, I'm able to pack lighter. I didn't realize it was going to be quite so chilly, although I knew Canada would be cooler. My husband will love it! He prefers colder weather. Not me! But, since one of our primary reasons for sailing out of Boston at that time of year is to visit our grad student daughter, this is the cruise we chose. It sounds like our Alaskan cruise--be prepared for anything!

I have some foot issues, so I can only wear a particular Teva sandal comfortably. I have several in different colors. I'll wear with with socks (and long pants) if I have to. Comfort before fashion nowadays! :) I'll wear something nicer for formal night, as long as I don't have to walk a lot in them.

As the time gets closer, I'll be sure and lay everything out. We'll almost certainly be flying to the AIRPORT (;)) on Jet Blue like we did last year. One free checked baggage allotment.

Edited by Linsifer
Typo

You will need to think in terms of long sleeve/hoodie and jackets for the northern ports. You would be best packing and planning to dress in layers so you can take off and put on as needed. Same as you likely did for Alaska.

Of course, your feet need to be comfortable but do plan to wear socks if you are wearing sandals. Halifax, PEI, Quebec City are not going to be that warm end of September.

Canada/NE cruises are fabulous. We have done them a number of times and think them HAL's best short cruises. :)

Instead of choosing clothes then a suitcase, choose the suitcase first then the clothes. If it doesn't fit in the suitcase it doesn't go.

We always cull clothes before a trip.

Key is to mix and match and do laundry.

I also use the same luggage for all my cruises. Doesn't matter what

the itinerary happens to be......I use a 25inch checked bag and a carry

on bag. Sometimes I may take a mid-large size tote bag too but that

really doesn't affect what the other bags have in them.

I have been to Alaska, Europe and the Caibbean all with the same

luggage.

And yes, I have packed everything needed in both bags.;):)

Just me, but you shouldn't have to go bigger than one 26" and a legal carryon. And, absolutely keep the 26" to no more then 40lbs on the outgoing so you do have a little weight for anything you buy on the trip.

One of the best buys I've done for a trip is my Patagonia Down Sweater. Very lightweight, packs down to nothing, warm. I bought it for my Kenyan safari where the mornings would be chilly AND I had a restrictive luggage requirement for the trip (size AND weight). That and a shell jacket and I'm now good for any cool/cold/wet weather I encounter. There is also a down alternative version of this. And, some other brands, like The North Face and REI make similar products (they may be called jackets, since they may zip all the way down). It's an excellent item to have if you are doing any cruising/traveling in Fall through Spring!!!

I would always bring waterproof duffel bags and then carry them on. They're easy to maneuver and you can fit a lot in a 19" duffel bag. My favorites the Kwik Tek rated high here http://www.squidoo.com/best-travel-duffel-bag . Also, bring suitcases that you can tie together and roll as one. When I was traveling on my own for the first time this was very important if I wanted to walk