Help! Which cruise should we choose?

We have it narrowed down to two choices and we are having a hard time deciding. Help us pick!

Option 1: Oasis of the Seas

Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica; Cozumel, Mexico)

Balcony

Pros: We have never sailed on the Oasis and would love to try it out.

Cons: We have already been to all the ports.

Option 2: Jewel of the Seas

Southern Caribbean (San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Philipsburg, St. Maarten)

Aft Balcony with wrap around balcony

Pros: We love having an aft balcony (we have had then three other times) and we would get to visit three new ports). This also doesn't seem like a cruise we would bring the kids on as I think we would be exhausted from chasing after them at all the ports.

Cons: Extra travel going to San Juan and not getting to check out the Oasis.

Both cruises will cost approximately the same. Airfare will likely be a bit higher to San Juan. Which would you pick and why?

Thanks!

Another vote here for Oasis. I've been on her and sister ship Allure and loved them. I do enjoy the ports on that itinerary you have listed as well but the ship is definitely the main attraction... just simply the most incredible cruise ships out there IMHO

I'd pick the Jewel. I have decided I'm an itinerary girl over ship and I don't care about entertainment.

I have done Oasis and Allure and we prefer the Radiance class. And I love San Juan.

Like Oasis much better than Jewel but also like the Eastern Carib ports much better. Sometimes we choose a cruise due to the ship and other times the ports. If taking kids I would go with the Oasis. We love cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale and have done it many times but cruised out of San Juan only once and didn't really care for it. We did Oasis cruise last Jan and are taking our adult children on it this Jan.

We were in the same spot as you - did the western itinerary, but not Oasis but liked the Southern itinerary better.

We ended up booking the Oasis, as we wanted to experience the "big" ship. Also airfare factored into our decision, flying four people to Florida is a lot cheaper than flying to San Juan. We'll use the money saved on flights to enjoy our onboard experience more and maybe an excursion or two.

Good luck with your decision.

We would prefer the much better itinerary on the Jewel even though we've been to all of these ports many times. Those western Caribbean Oasis ports alone would definitely turn us off especially Falmouth.

I must admit we prefer the Radiance class over the larger ships we've been on. We have not sailed Oasis class but have been beside this class of ships many times when onboard other ships when in port and have no desire to sail it.

San Juan is a great port to sail out of and visit either prior or after your cruise and we've found over the years getting there to be not much more expensive from our location but you haven't listed where you are.

I am surprised that the cost is approximately the same for both cruises as what I've seen in the past is sailing out of SJ is usually less costly then sailing Oasis class ships out of Port Everglades. It may be the time of the year you're looking at or simply current supply and demand factors.

QUOTE=DragonOfTheSeas;43483094]We cruise for the ports. But, we want to try the Oasis class in the near future. . . so I would say give it a try. With only 3 ports there will be less cost for port excursions.

You hit the question we've asked ourselves. Booking is about the total dollars.

We want to book the Oasis. Reviews mention how much spending went to extras for drink packages, specialty restaurants, and more.

The safety pin over my pocket is a reminder that the cruise only cost is the tip of the iceberg if we aren't careful.

I'd recommend the Oasis to the Original Poster because the extras for air, hotel, tours, shopping, with children will add up. No problem if it's in the budget but when the cruise is over will the OP be happier to see the extra ports or still want to get on the Oasis. The children probably vote for Oasis.

My pick is the Oasis. Save ports for another cruise.

Penny

Ports matter a lot to us. I have shied away from Oasis/Allure because we're not zipline, etc kind of people and the idea of having to prebook shows, activities, dining, etc is a turn off for me. Based on my own preferences I would go with Jewel.

Option 1: Oasis of the Seas

Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica; Cozumel, Mexico)

Balcony

Pros: We have never sailed on the Oasis and would love to try it out.

Cons: We have already been to all the ports.

Option 2: Jewel of the Seas

Southern Caribbean (San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Philipsburg, St. Maarten)

Aft Balcony with wrap around balcony

Pros: We love having an aft balcony (we have had then three other times) and we would get to visit three new ports). This also doesn't seem like a cruise we would bring the kids on as I think we would be exhausted from chasing after them at all the ports.

Cons: Extra travel going to San Juan and not getting to check out the Oasis.

No hesitation - Jewel.

Why?

• MUCH better ports of call. Oasis calls on Labadee and Falmouth - both manufactured for cruise passengers - not true ports of call in my opinion. I've been to Labadee, and found it beautiful (pre-roller coaster days). However, if your only other ports are Falmouth and Cozumel, you don't really see any islands which are unique and natural.
  • Radiance Class is my favorite due to the size and the constant ability to SEE the SEA. LOVE being able to eat breakfast OUTDOORS at the Windjammer.
  • MORE ports of call. I enjoy cruising to see many places on one vacation. The Jewel itinerary provides more ports.
  • VARIETY: Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel are all very touristy ports of call. The Oasis itinerary has very little variety. Dominica and St. Kitts are both minimally developed (particularly Dominica), rain forest islands. St. Thomas and Barbados are modern, wealthy islands with great resorts and beaches. St. Maarten is two cultures on one island - Dutch and French.
  • DOMINICA and ST. KITTS - Two of my favorites.
  • SAN JUAN - is worth seeing. We recently flew in the night before our cruise and spent the morning of the cruise sightseeing in Old San Juan. We were on our way to the ship by 1:30, having seen quite a bit of Old San Juan.It was like getting an additional port of call for FREE!

I agree that this decision has a LOT to do with your style of cruising. I cruise primarily for the PORTS and ITINERARY. The SHIP is secondary. I also like to FEEL like I'm on a ship and I have read many reviews of the larger ships which indicate that views of the sea are fairly limited, as they are more inwardly-focused vessels. For me, it's a no-brainer - JEWEL. But to those who cruise for the resort-at-sea experience, it's a no-brainer for them in the OPPOSITE direction.

Let us know what you choose!

Edited by printingchick

We have it narrowed down to two choices and we are having a hard time deciding. Help us pick!

!

I love questions with no wrong answers. Lots of unknown like do you have kids? Looking at your history I could see why you would like to try Oasis. I loved Jewel and those ports. If this were this year I would have suggested you just delay a day and go on Allure to the Eastern ports, but I don't think that is an option for 2015, even though I just did a search on RC's website and it shows a sailing for April 26th 2015, but it also shows Florida to Spain the week before.

Are you mostly about the ship or mostly about the ports?

I love being on the ship, and for me almost any island/beach will suffice as a port stop on a caribbean cruise. So, of course, I'd pick Oasis. I love Oasis class ships.

Other people might be really into the ports while ship is a place to eat, sleep and have a bit of fun getting to those ports. Such people likely would pick Jewel.

I totally understand your dilemma. I loved our Oasis class cruise, but until they change up the itinerary, I won't be sailing them again. The Southern Caribbean itinerary is so much better if you really want to explore some interesting ports, but the Radiance class, while nice ships, just aren't our favorites for a family cruise.

I'd go Radiance class for a couples cruise, or with older/grown children. Then again, my kids are grown and they keep telling me how much they want to go on an Oasis class cruise again!

Bottom-line, you have to decide what's more important to you and your family - a big ship with lots of activities and so-so ports, or a smaller ship with interesting ports. My vote would be for Oasis, since you've not experienced that class before.

Thank you for all the responses! I should have added that our children will be with their grandparents and this will be our first vacation without kids since having them. At this moment I am leaning more towards the jewel. The corner aft balcony it swaying me too. I thought about the Allure sailing the next day, but my husband has to be back by a certain date for a work engagement and the allure sailing conflicts.

We have really enjoyed the radiance class ships in the past. We are also thinking about a large family cruise (with both sets of grandparents) in 2016 on the Oasis or the Allure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Made it officially today and changed our booking to Jewel, although I am a bit bummed we didn't change our minds before the last sale ended. We will make it on Oasis at some point and probably when our kids are coming. Since this will be out first just us cruise until who knows when, we decided to focus on the ports instead of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums