Boarding Time Delayed?

shaycamp21

We will be sailing on the Breeze this Sunday and received an email today from Carnival saying our boarding time is delayed and not to arrive until between 1:30-3:30 pm. This is our first Carnival cruise and we purchased FTTF so I am not sure what to make of this email. Is this just a standard email that everyone receives and I just ignore the email since we have FTTF or do we actually have to wait until then to board? FTTF seems like a waste if we can't board earlier (is it too late to cancel?). Not sure what to do? Advice from you seasoned Carnival cruises would be greatly appreciated.:) Thanks.

Edited by shaycamp21

We will be sailing on the Breeze this Sunday and received an email today from Carnival saying our boarding time is delayed and not to arrive until between 1:30-3:30 pm. This is our first Carnival cruise and we purchased FTTF so I am not sure what to make of this email. Is this just a standard email that everyone receives and I just ignore the email since we have FTTF or do actually have to wait until then to board? FTTF seems like a waste if we can't board earlier (is it too late to cancel?). Not sure what to do? Advice from you seasoned Carnival cruises would be greatly appreciated.:) Thanks.

We have gotten those emails the last few cruises on both Carnival and Royal.

We still go to the terminal between 10:30-11:00 and are usually eating lunch by 11:45-12:00l.....:cool:

They seem to be pretty standard these days. I would not change my plans.

Usually just a standard email sent to a certain number of cruise passengers to help space out arrivals so not everyone arrives to the pier at the same time. I have found the emails tend to be are legitimate if they have a reason included (maintenance, inspection, etc.).

Usually just a standard email sent to a certain number of cruise passengers to help space out arrivals so not everyone arrives to the pier at the same time. I have found the emails tend to be are legitimate if they have a reason included (maintenance, inspection, etc.).

Would this be a legitimate reason?

Cut and pasted this from the email:

On Sunday, following the completion of the debarkation process for the previous voyage, we will be conducting routine tests aboard the Carnival Breeze. Consequently, boarding for your cruise is expected to run a bit behind schedule.

As a result, check-in for your cruise is now scheduled from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 1:30 PM.

That looks like a normal letter. Definitly the time is the same as a normal letter.

The special one we received had a paragraph about the previous cruise's itin., specifically stating Pamana Canal and CBP procedures. IIRC we embarked an hour later than normal.

Does the previous cruise go to Roaton? If so that could be a holdup.

I'll assume you are spending the night in a hotel near port? I'd rather wait at port than at the hotel.

We got one of those letters and embarkation on the Breeze that day was seriously delayed. They never started boarding until after 1pm. We were Platinum/Diamond and it took forever to board all the priority passengers. The terminal was overflowing with not enough seats. We watched from the railing overlooking the atrium and they were still boarding people at 3:30pm. We sailed 90 minutes late.

Would this be a legitimate reason?

Cut and pasted this from the email:

On Sunday, following the completion of the debarkation process for the previous voyage, we will be conducting routine tests aboard the Carnival Breeze. Consequently, boarding for your cruise is expected to run a bit behind schedule.

As a result, check-in for your cruise is now scheduled from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, please do not arrive for check-in prior to 1:30 PM.

Could be on the level but would still get there by noon. Vacation starts when we board the ship and rather wait a bit at the terminal.

When we cruised on the Breeze, the previous cruise had an immigration issue and boarding was delayed. We stood in a pretty long line, but the staff of the terminal were constantly walking the line to find guests with priority boarding status and bringing them in to the terminal. I'd take my chances and go earlier, regardless, you will still be among the first to board with FTTF. Enjoy your cruise.

go when you want, but if there is a delay, don't complain, since you have been warned it could happen. You can keep your FTTF and you will still board first after platinum, diamond and suite guests. If you are delayed, keep in mind, you could be outside in the heat. We received a letter for delayed boarding on the fascination last year and we didn't board (platinum) until 12:30pm (usually im on the ship at 11am) and on Royal a few years ago, we didn't even get on until 130pm from a similar letter and we were at the port at 1030 with group zone 1

I just don't want to waste money on FTTF (the whole reason I got it was to board early) if boarding is delayed.

FTTF guarantees that you will be in one of the first groups to board, not that you will board by a certain time.

That being said, if it were me, I would probably proceed as normal and bring something to occupy you should there actually be a delay, like a iDevice or a good book.

Go or stay away until the recommended times, your call BUT there are no amenities at the port. If boarding is delayed, you could end up standing outside in the heat in line with hundreds of impatient fellow cruisers

Arrive early and take your chances. The port can only hold so many people-- once it reaches that capacity-- people will be lining up outside until boarding processess.

We did this for another cruise-- got a letter that says arrive after 1:30 No reason was given so we headed to the pier about 10:30. The waiting area was full by 11:15 so those arriving at 11:30 had to stand outside until it opened back up at 1:15. No chairs, nothing to drink. etc. Thats a long time to be standing.

Arrive early and take your chances. The port can only hold so many people-- once it reaches that capacity-- people will be lining up outside until boarding processess.

We did this for another cruise-- got a letter that says arrive after 1:30 No reason was given so we headed to the pier about 10:30. The waiting area was full by 11:15 so those arriving at 11:30 had to stand outside until it opened back up at 1:15. No chairs, nothing to drink. etc. Thats a long time to be standing.

I have a "seat cane" which I always take on cruises in case something like this happens. It's also good for the Muster Drill. Then it stays in the closet till I go home.

If you are delayed, keep in mind, you could be outside in the heat.

The port can only hold so many people-- once it reaches that capacity-- people will be lining up outside until boarding processess. The waiting area was full by 11:15 so those arriving at 11:30 had to stand outside until it opened back up at 1:15. No chairs, nothing to drink. etc. Thats a long time to be standing.

I am not familiar with how the port of Miami handles embarkation, but isn't there "reserved seating" areas for those guests with priority boarding (platinum, diamond, suites, FFTF) so those guests would not necessarily be outside waiting if there was a boarding delay?

Carnival is the cruiseline that cried wolf. They send these out so many times with a reason that is a lie. There will be the rare occasion that it's actually true, but even in that case, I would still advise to show up early, 11am or earlier. One time, the Dream was late returning from the previous sailing, and we knew the night before that it would be late. We still showed up before 11am. Better to be sitting inside the terminal waiting than sitting at McDonalds waiting or standing outside the terminal waiting. Boarding started at 12:30, and the place was packed.

I have recently heard a report of one of the cruise terminals being very packed at around 1:30-2:00, with huge lines. It's unknown why it was that way on that sailing, but if everyone on your cruise waits until 1:30 to show up because of that email, it will be very packed then, while the people arriving at 11:00 would have a near empty terminal.

Sailed on the Breeze two weeks ago and did not receive the email you mentioned. On several cruises last year i did. Arrived at port around noon and they had already started boarding. If they sent you the email this time sounds like they will not board early. If you go early you can sit and wait. Whichever you want

I am not familiar with how the port of Miami handles embarkation, but isn't there "reserved seating" areas for those guests with priority boarding (platinum, diamond, suites, FFTF) so those guests would not necessarily be outside waiting if there was a boarding delay?

Once inside capacity is reached, no one gets inside. I have been there when this happens and folks try everything to be allowed inside, no go..

Never heard so many complain "how their (insert malady) made being outside in the heat unbearable"

It is probably just an attempt to spread out the people over the day to reduce the peaks. But last year on the Liberty, we got a similar email and it was legitimate. Boarding did not start until 1:30 or so for anyone. The waiting area was full, but we were on the ship about 20 minutes behind the FTTF and Platinums. And our cabin was ready! :)