Azamara vs Oceania - my view

TERRIER1

We have done 4 cruises on Oceania, and so far one on Azamara. Based on our experience, I think the OP nailed it!

...Azamara wins on...food...

Lest there be confusion, the OP didn't opine that Az had better food.

Edited by ohmark

We have done 4 cruises on Oceania, and so far one on Azamara. Based on our experience, I think the OP nailed it!

The Insignia has been beautifully restored, but Azamara wins on service, friendliness, food , entertainment, shuttles. We had some poor food, service and shuttle experiences on O on our recent Istanbul to Venice cruise, which I outlined in another thread.

Subjectively, I would give O a good grade, and AZ an outstanding grade.

On my experience with the two cruise lines I absolutely agree with your comments apart from the food which I would slightly favour O.

We are going in November to try the R class now with O which is a more direct comparison with AZ, but I very much doubt if the friendliness of the crew and officers will ever match AZ.

Lest there be confusion, the OP didn't opine that Az had better food.

Thanks. I think that O has a slight edge on the food but not enough to make a real difference. They are both excellent cruise lines. Different personalities. I just think Azamara takes care of the small things such as shuttles and such.

[quote

Cabin and Ship

We had the same size cabin category as our previous Oceania “R” cruises and felt right at home. The cabin was in great shape.

Aren't these cabins pretty small with less than 170sf of interior space? The "o" class ships are much better, but I can't imagine such a tiny cabin. I would rather pay more and sail on and O ship or a luxury line ( Regent, Seabourn or SS) with significantly larger suites. At a higher cost, of course but well worth it rather than be crammed into a closet on Amazara.

[quote

Cabin and Ship

We had the same size cabin category as our previous Oceania “R” cruises and felt right at home. The cabin was in great shape.

Aren't these cabins pretty small with less than 170sf of interior space? The "o" class ships are much better, but I can't imagine such a tiny cabin. I would rather pay more and sail on and O ship or a luxury line ( Regent, Seabourn or SS) with significantly larger suites. At a higher cost, of course but well worth it rather than be crammed into a closet on Amazara.

I think your right, you get what you pay for----so if you want it all it cost. That's why we booked SilverSeas for the next cruise. Will have to wait and see if we're right or not. I think we'll be right on. Rick

[quote

Cabin and Ship

LOL, you can just as easily say that all the way up to the Owners Suite

Marina-Owners-Suite-Floor-Plan1-1024x410.jpg

Some people prize the money more than the space-

Some people prize the space more than the money.

It's nice to have choices.

Two things -

1 The veranda cabins on O ships seem larger than those on the R ships (more of an optical illusion) but in reality they are just about the same. The slight increase in Sq. footage is mostly taken up by the larger bathroom, leaving the cabin itself essentially the same (albeit much newer in furnishings, but poorer in storage space)

2 You can certainly get a larger suite for more money, but that is true not only for the cruise lines you mentioned but also for Azamara

Two things -

1 The veranda cabins on O ships seem larger than those on the R ships (more of an optical illusion) but in reality they are just about the same. The slight increase in Sq. footage is mostly taken up by the larger bathroom, leaving the cabin itself essentially the same (albeit much newer in furnishings, but poorer in storage space)

2 You can certainly get a larger suite for more money, but that is true not only for the cruise lines you mentioned but also for Azamara

Agree with Paul that other than the bathrooms being bigger, the standard veranda cabin sizes on the "O" and "R" ships seem about the same. In fact, although husband definitely prefers sailing on the "R" ships (for many reasons, including the food), the closet and shelf layout for the standard veranda cabins are much preferable on the "R" ships because the closet and shelves are next to the bed on the "O" ships and only one person can get to them at a time.

Edited by CintiPam

[quote

Cabin and Ship

This is the cabin we booked. You can book any cabin you want up to an Ocean Suite. I do not consider myself jammed into a closet. Other than showering and and sleeping we are not in the cabin. Everyone has their priorities. Ours is not a spacious suite. Knock yourself out with whatever makes your boat float.

This is the cabin we booked. You can book any cabin you want up to an Ocean Suite. I do not consider myself jammed into a closet. Other than showering and and sleeping we are not in the cabin. Everyone has their priorities. Ours is not a spacious suite. Knock yourself out with whatever makes your boat float.

What is the space ratio of an Amazara ship vs an Oceania O class ship? I thought it was slightly above 40% on Amazara which is low. So that means small cabin and less overall space per passenger than Oceania? How is that better?

Like Terrier, we also took our first cruise with Azamara this year. Her review is comprehensive and spot on. We booked a suite for the extra space and found the Butler service comparable to Oceania. He offered to switch out our bottles of liquor for wine when he saw we weren't consuming them.

We booked one of the land tours and found it well-organized and the guide well informed. Additionally, when at a tender port, a priority access ticket was placed in our room the night before. This came in very handy when we had private tours booked and we were allowed to include the entire group in our departure even though they were not booked in suites.

Lecturers on board were interesting, informative and witty. We had five sea days and I found myself attending nearly every session.

They brought additional entertainers on board from Celebrity which not only enhanced the diversity but also the quality of the entertainment. Both the cruise director and activities director had amazing voices and were featured in their own shows. In the tribute to Abba, six foot six inch tall CD appeared in drag on roller skates. Somehow I can't imagine this happening on Oceania.

In general, there is a more laid back vibe on the ship, not sure if it's because of the included beverages or just a more affable group. Heard no one complaining about the on board experience.

Booked this cruise through an internet agency and the pre-cruise experience was a bit "loosey goosey." The website is convoluted and not user friendly. Additionally, you print your own documents and boarding pass. Later learned that you can elect to have a brochure at an additional cost. The folks on the Azamara board were helpful in alerting us to the schedule--supposedly, things are being revamped; but I have found large corporations (RCCL) subject to bureaucratic inertia. Just don't let this deter you from booking with Azamara.

Edited by GJH123

The shoreside experience is as bad as the on board experience is good. Even my ta dislikes dealing with them. The call center goes to Guatemala.

The Oceania snobs will probably not care for Azamara. The rest of us will find it a largely comparable experience with a handful of differences but all good

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by pacheco18

What is the space ratio of an Amazara ship vs an Oceania O class ship? I thought it was slightly above 40% on Amazara which is low. So that means small cabin and less overall space per passenger than Oceania? How is that better?

The Azamara verandah cabin was the same size as the Oceania "R" verandah cabin. The Oceania "O" verandah cabin is larger predominately due to the bathroom which has a tub. I was comparing the "R" ships.

The Insignia has been beautifully restored, but Azamara wins on service, friendliness, food , entertainment, shuttles. We had some poor food, service and shuttle experiences on O on our recent Istanbul to Venice cruise, which I outlined in another thread.

Subjectively, I would give O a good grade, and AZ an outstanding grade.

Totally agree. We have done three O cruises (Regatta, Insignia and the larger Marina) and loved them all. But this year we decided to try Azamara and booked what was supposed to be a

B2B2B in Asia on Azamara Journey. It met all our expectations and more...

We were on the cruise which damaged a propeller going into Tokyo Bay near the end of our 2nd cruise causing two days on that cruise and the entire 3rd cruise to be cancelled. Azamara was fantastic in handling the situation and all the new arrangements that had to be made. We felt the compensation was more than fair and have already booked two Azamara cruises in 2015. The staff is wonderful and the itineraries can't be beat. Long days, overnights and nice days at sea to break it all up. We found Oceania's itineraries too intensive with little time in between ports.

I never realized so many people cared about the visibility of the Captain! I have never really thought about that as a criteria for liking or disliking a cruise line. I just care about his/her competence (no Costa showoffs, please!)

In any case, thanks for the comparison - although I think it's really hard to compare just one cruise on one cruise line to just one on another!

I never realized so many people cared about the visibility of the Captain! I have never really thought about that as a criteria for liking or disliking a cruise line. I just care about his/her competence (no Costa showoffs, please!)

Although I agree with you about the senior crew, I think the issue on Azamara is that these people, not just the captain, are just friendly and accessible to passengers. It used to be like that on the Radisson Diamond, for example--it certainly is an incentive for me to try Azamara.

I sailed several years ago on the Marina and just recently on the Azamara Journey. Both are great products. The two lines in my view are comparable though they do have different strengths. The crew and staff on Azamara are amazing, and once you are aboard, Azamara seems to work harder at enhancing the cruise experience.

However, I will add that, based on my experience, the food on the Marina was clearly better than the food on the Journey, which was good but hardly exceptional. For me, the food is not a major concern, but I do think Oceania clearly has the edge in this category.

We really enjoyed our two recent Quest cruises but with both Quest and Journey on charter for so much during the times we travel (spring and fall 2015 and fall 2016), there are very few cruises left for us to consider.

I'm disappointed to learn that the ideal times for cruising for adults (when most kids are still in school) will be reduced due to charters on Azamara, just when we would be interested in trying them out. My husband has not been able to take vacation during springtime in decades, but he just took early retirement and we are looking forward to spring vacations, including spring cruises.

CintiPam, if I'm not mistaken, one of your colleagues has just become the new Curator in Charge of European Paintings at the Fine Arts Museums, which includes the de Young in Golden Gate Park and the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. (I recall you mentioning you are an art docent.)

Of course, we enjoyed Oceania (though we don't like the emphasis on top of ship golf at all, nor the reduction in front of ship loungers), and hope that charters won't be something we need to worry about on O.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

I'm disappointed to learn that the ideal times for cruising for adults (when most kids are still in school) will be reduced due to charters on Azamara, just when we would be interested in trying them out. My husband has not been able to take vacation during springtime in decades, but he just took early retirement and we are looking forward to spring vacations, including spring cruises.

CintiPam, if I'm not mistaken, one of your colleagues has just become the new Curator in Charge of European Paintings at the Fine Arts Museums, which includes the de Young in Golden Gate Park and the Legion of Honor in San Francisco. (I recall you mentioning you are an art docent.)

1. This recent chartering really is worrying IMO regarding Azamara's future. Their port-intensive itineraries, lovely staff and officer interaction with passengers, White Nights deck party and AzAmazing evenings really are wonderful.

2. You have hit me where it hurts regarding Dr. Esther Bell's leaving our museum after only 20 months to move to yours. Obviously, a huge step up for this wonderful lady; I know you will appreciate her. I am scheduled with 20 other "Friends of European Art" to spend a week of art with her in Paris in the fall. We just pray that she fulfills this final obligation to us.

1. This recent chartering really is worrying IMO regarding Azamara's future. Their port-intensive itineraries, lovely staff and officer interaction with passengers, White Nights deck party and AzAmazing evenings really are wonderful.

2. You have hit me where it hurts regarding Dr. Esther Bell's leaving our museum after only 20 months to move to yours. Obviously, a huge step up for this wonderful lady; I know you will appreciate her. I am scheduled with 20 other "Friends of European Art" to spend a week of art with her in Paris in the fall. We just pray that she fulfills this final obligation to us.

I just read that she is scheduled to start here in September. When is your art week with her supposed to be?

If you'd like to read our local story about her from yesterday's paper, here it is (with her picture):

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Esther-Bell-new-curator-of-European-paintings-for-5659898.php

Edited by Oceans&Rivers
additional info

I just read that she is scheduled to start here in September. When is your art week with her supposed to be?

If you'd like to read our local story about her from yesterday's paper, here it is (with her picture):

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Esther-Bell-new-curator-of-European-paintings-for-5659898.php

It is the first week of November. A friend and I are arriving four days early to do some sightseeing on our own (Rouen and Chartres.)

Our tour with her is a very personal one with a lot of her strong connections in France, particularly at the Louvre and Versailles. We shall see!

She is an excellent dynamic person, and you will enjoy having her show off and expand your European paintings collection.

Edited by CintiPam

Interesting topic.

I have considered Azamara in the past, because of my Elite + status on Celebrity and preference for smaller ships.

The age of the Azamara ships is what concerns me. I sailed on the older Regent ships many times, but stopped in 2010 because of their age and condition.

The size of the cabins and design of the bathrooms ( shower curtains ) are another concern.

I prefer newer ships and larger cabins hence my upcoming cruise on the Riviera. Given the great reviews of Azamara on the Oceania message board, I think I need to reconsider my hesitance!