Which cruise line? Decisions decisions decisions

Marknga

Wife and I are going to celebrate our 30th anniversary with a cruise in October.

Going to the Caribbean, now which line?

Parents cruise on Princess and they highly recommend it.

Other family members Royal Caribbean and they highly recommend it.

Friends who cruise say the Carnival cruise is fun, the bigger ships they highly recommend.

I have never cruised ( oh a High School Senior trip 35 years ago on a converted tanker that I don't even remember) so all I want to do is getaway. In 30 years we have only taken 2 trips when there wasn't kids or other family with us.

I don't drink, wife does alittle, she likes to dance and I don't but hope to find some happy feet on the cruise.

Destination: pretty water and beaches, beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

So the choices:

Carnival out of Port Canaveral: Liberty to Nassau, St Thomas St Marten or one to Aruba, Curaco, Grand Turk

Princess out of Port Canaveral on board the Caribbean Princess to Princess Cay, St Maarten St Thomas Grand Turk

Royal Caribbean out of Port Canaveral onboard Freedom of the Seas to coco Cay, St Thomas St Maarten.

Don't really want a western caribbean trip...

Liberty vs Caribbean Princess vs Freedom of the Seas??

I keep reading and reading about it being like Motel 6 vs Radisson vs Hilton?

Trying to decide....

I am partial towards the RCI product, so my recommendation would be Freedom (have you checked out the other RCI ships from FLL - Oasis and Allure are sailing in October).

WE have been on the Caribbean Princess twice, and really enjoyed the experience! I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again!

Carnival...sailed on her once...not my cup of tea.

Since October is pretty close, you might find some very good deals. Check out the "Tuesday Sales" flyer from Royal Caribbean: http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf It updates every Tuesday, so in the coming weeks, it should include October sailings

Edited by DonnaK

Wife and I are going to celebrate our 30th anniversary with a cruise in October.

Going to the Caribbean, now which line?

I don't drink, wife does alittle, she likes to dance and I don't but hope to find some happy feet on the cruise.

Destination: pretty water and beaches, beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Princess out of Port Canaveral on board the Caribbean Princess to Princess Cay, St Maarten St Thomas Grand Turk

Caribbean Princess would be a good fit for you! :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

First of all the Caribbean Princess does not sail from Port Canaveral(near Orlando). It sails from Port Everglades(Fort Lauderdale).

I think the Freedom of the Seas or Caribbean Princess (I've been on both) are far superior to a Carnival ship.

If you are driving Port Canaveral is closer. Going to Ft Lauderdale is about 3 additional hours driving.

First of all the Caribbean Princess does not sail from Port Canaveral(near Orlando). It sails from Port Everglades(Fort Lauderdale).

I think the Freedom of the Seas or Caribbean Princess (I've been on both) are far superior to a Carnival ship.

If you are driving Port Canaveral is closer. Going to Ft Lauderdale is about 3 additional hours driving.

yes ma'am my mistake... Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. We are driving from middle Georgia and the thought of leaving out of Port Canaveral is more appealing. But if we waited 30 years to do this cruise I'm not going to let a couple more hours driving time determine our cruise.

I have $650 of Carnival gift cards ... but that alone isn't going to determine our cruise.

Thank you for the responses... this forum has been a big help.

Now to decide.

yes ma'am my mistake... Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. We are driving from middle Georgia and the thought of leaving out of Port Canaveral is more appealing. But if we waited 30 years to do this cruise I'm not going to let a couple more hours driving time determine our cruise.

I have $650 of Carnival gift cards ... but that alone isn't going to determine our cruise.

Thank you for the responses... this forum has been a big help.

Now to decide.

Yes, I also live in Ga and the drive to PC is about 8 hours.....but could be less if we didn't stop so often for food and bathroom! We're going again in Nov and hoping to make it in 6 hours this time.

I'm sorry you have all those Carnival gift cards......someone must really want you to go on that line (would only be my last choice if I was desperate). But whatever you pick have a great time.

The fact that Aruba and Caruco are on the Carnival cruise would be enough for me to choose it.

A good majority of people that say Carnival is like a motel are often the people who have never cruised with the line.

The ships are indeed a little crazy with the decor but they are very clean, well maintained have good dining options,spacious cabins and lots to keep you entertained not to mention nothing si too much trouble for the staff.

RCL/Princess may have less gaudy ships and better show entertainment but when you going to the 2 places above who gives a hoot about that small detail anyway.

A good majority of people that say Carnival is like a motel are often the people who have never cruised with the line.

Unfortunately for me, I HAVE cruised on Carnival. That is why I place them dead last on my recommended lists. ;)

Edited by boogs

Unfortunately for me, I HAVE cruised on Carnival. That is why I place them dead last on my recommended lists. ;)

I agree completely. I have been on 3 Carnival cruises so I have given them a fair chance....and they still come in last.

Well, princess wins for the itinerary. However, Freedom of the Seas is nice and is big...which could be a nice first cruising experience. If I were you, I would also check out the prices for the Allure or Oasis. They offer nice itineraries and may not be too much more expensive. They are wonderful ships and are worth every penny!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCL/Princess may have less gaudy ships and better show entertainment but when you going to the 2 places above who gives a hoot about that small detail anyway.

I do. I value my time aboard a cruise ship just as much as my time on shore, and won't waste it on a product I am not satisfied with. Not sure why anyone would, to be honest. I prefer not to lower standards just to get to a port. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I do. I value my time aboard a cruise ship just as much as my time on shore, and won't waste it on a product I am not satisfied with. Not sure why anyone would, to be honest. I prefer not to lower standards just to get to a port. :rolleyes:

Its not about lowering standards. Its about whether you cruise for the ships or the port or both.

I happen to be into ports.

I could be on the most beautiful and luxurious ship on the world but if its going to Liverpool and Southampton I not going to be a happy bunny. If a small basic ship with the cruising essentials is off to Indonesia and Malaysia et al I am most likely to be as happy as Larry especially if it costs less. I mean ship decor and entertainment mainly...they really are so insignificant to me with the odd exception.

It is for this reason I am booked on a 13 day Panama Canal cruise (with Carnival) next week and I am paying half the price of other lines doing a similar route...huzzah!

Edited by Velvetwater

I've never cruised Carnival, so I have no opinion on their product.

Not sure why Celebrity is not in the mix -- Better than the other options.

Royal Caribbean would be my second choice; Princess third.

Celebrity's S class ships are the best "bang for the buck" in the Caribbean, all though other lines sometimes have better itineraries. Nothing wrong with the Western Caribbean.

The Allure and Oasis are really interesting ships (largest ships at sea).

Princess is fine, but I don't like the crowded feel you get onboard, especially at the buffet.

Can't make a mistake here with any of these ships!:)

Kel

I've never cruised Carnival, so I have no opinion on their product.

Not sure why Celebrity is not in the mix -- Better than the other options.

Royal Caribbean would be my second choice; Princess third.

Celebrity's S class ships are the best "bang for the buck" in the Caribbean, all though other lines sometimes have better itineraries. Nothing wrong with the Western Caribbean.

The Allure and Oasis are really interesting ships (largest ships at sea).

Princess is fine, but I don't like the crowded feel you get onboard, especially at the buffet.

Can't make a mistake here with any of these ships!:)

Kel

The three I mentioned were three that were recommended ... having never cruised before we were asking friends and family and they had experience on those. After we do this Princess we will do a Carnival... then maybe a RCI or Celebrity

Or not if I don't like cruising (which I seriously doubt will happen :) )

You seem to be limiting yourself to cruises from Port Canaveral, reasonable if you want to drive from middle GA. However, Caribbean Princess does not sail from Port Canaveral, rather she sails from Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades). And if you are going as far south as FLL, why not add a Celebrity ship into the mix of choices. EM

You seem to be limiting yourself to cruises from Port Canaveral, reasonable if you want to drive from middle GA. However, Caribbean Princess does not sail from Port Canaveral, rather she sails from Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades). And if you are going as far south as FLL, why not add a Celebrity ship into the mix of choices. EM

I posted a few post back that we had indeed booked the Caribbean Princess out of Ft Lauderdale for the Oct 11 trip to Princess Cay, St Maarten, St Thomas and Grand Turk.

Booked on Caribbean Princess... Balcony A638

Can't wait.

Thanks for all replies.

Looking forward to it... 60 days