What is the first thing you do when you board the ship?

I find a table, usually at the Promenade Cafe and have a light bite and wait for my cabin to be open. ANYTHING but the Windjammer and the madhouse there.

We always fly to port 2-3 days before the cruise. So we're ready to get on the ship early. Hit Windjammer early when it's calm and quiet. Which is a lot different than it is an hour or two later:D And you're right, it does become a madhouse.

The morning of the first day (pre-boarding), we are usually too excited to eat breakfast, so by the time we board at 11:30 ish, we are pretty hungry. We have always headed right for the Windjammer to grab lunch. If it's not open, we will walk the pool deck for a bit until it opens.

It's my experience that the first 10-15 minutes after the WJ doors are opened is a great time to get a nice window table and enjoy a slow lunch, and watching everyone's faces as they are so excited to be on the ship.

But, the WJ fills up quickly! Within 30-40 minutes of opening, all of the window seats seem to be taken.

Then at 1:00pm, we head to our cabins.

Do you have any tips on making the most of them 'first few hours' before you get given your room key...?

Lisa xx

Addressing this specific point, We put our swim suits in our carry on, after lunch, change and hit the pool and watch all the newbies gawking at the ship. :) If its a new ship or class of ship, we explore. I haven't had that experience since 2011 though. Now I don't know what kid of summer your having, but maybe sitting by the pool isn't a great option for you.

Hello Everyone,

I am boarding IOTS in the next couple of weeks at Southampton and thought it would be fun to ask everyone if you have any tips on what you do first as soon as you board the ship...?

I usually head to the spa and get myself a raffle ticket, then go find my dining table for the cruise....finally I find a quiet corner and study the cruise compass with a cold drink :cool:

Do you have any tips on making the most of them 'first few hours' before you get given your room key...?

Looking forward to reading your replies

Lisa xx

Turn off my cell phone. Get a drink from the Bar and relax.

I feel like I'm in the minority, because I specifically DON'T hurry to board. I board after staterooms are already opened, and I carry on. So I usually go straight to my room and get settled.

Then, I usually visit the specialty restaurants at which I'll be dining and just confirm my reservations for the week.

Then, it's a drink on my balcony with a book and some music until sail away!

I feel like I'm in the minority, because I specifically DON'T hurry to board. I board after staterooms are already opened, and I carry on. So I usually go straight to my room and get settled.

Then, I usually visit the specialty restaurants at which I'll be dining and just confirm my reservations for the week.

Then, it's a drink on my balcony with a book and some music until sail away!

No hurry to board either. Stop at MDR to see table location, buy coke pkg, drop off carry on in cabin. Head to pool deck for an hour, have some WooWoos

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Hello Everyone,

I am boarding IOTS in the next couple of weeks at Southampton and thought it would be fun to ask everyone if you have any tips on what you do first as soon as you board the ship...?

I usually head to the spa and get myself a raffle ticket, then go find my dining table for the cruise....finally I find a quiet corner and study the cruise compass with a cold drink :cool:

Lisa xx

1) Go Grab Lunch

2) Take carry ons to our cabin

3) Go see where our dining room table is located

4) Show newbies around the ship

5) Start to unwind and feel more relaxed....:)

We get our Seapass "key" upon check in, so no waiting. Do you have to wait for this after boarding in the UK? Since we board before noon we get lunch first now. When we first started cruising, we were so wowed, we checked out the ship first thing.That is still what I would do if boarding a ship we had not previously sailed...but at this point, all our upcoming cruises are on ships we are familiar with. So, lunch will continue to be the first thing we do!

We are cruising in September and can board as early as 11:30 am but the ship does not leave Honolulu until 10:00 pm. Can we board early, get settled in and then leave the ship to continue to explore the City? Would likely board again at 8:00 pm.

We are cruising in September and can board as early as 11:30 am but the ship does not leave Honolulu until 10:00 pm. Can we board early, get settled in and then leave the ship to continue to explore the City? Would likely board again at 8:00 pm.

Yes, as long as you re-board in time for the muster drill.

Edited by clarea

We get on and get straight out into the warm Southampton air!! The last two cruises I've sailed from the UK I've fallen over before the ship even gets out of the dock.

I'm on your cruise. Look for a woman in her 40s lying on the floor with her family stnding over her saying "not again, every single time". I've also fallen over in Valencia and Pisa.

It does pass the time before sailing. And that's when I'm sober.

Lately we've been boarding late enough that the room is ready soon as we get on. Head on up there, drop off the bags, plug in whatever might need charged, quick call to my folks in Vegas to let 'em know we're aboard and brag on our room (they get the blame for leading us down the path to this lifestyle), and then go see if the CL has opened yet...

We always head up to the pool decks to grab a drink and hang out in the sun. We sail to the Caribbean in the winter months, so we try to get in as much sun and heat as soon as we can!

On our last cruise we checked out our dining room assigned table and saw we were at a table for two, so we changed that to sit at a bigger table. I think that might be a new routine now, we prefer sitting at a large table and meeting new people.

I've noticed a lot of people stop off at the MDR to check their table assignment. Does anyone know if the any time dining room will be open?

I'd like to go in and check out the tables for two that we'd prefer to sit at so that we can let them know when we arrive for dinner.

Apart from this, when we board I'm heading to the cupcake cupboard to book my class, head to jammer for lunch then have a wander around the ship.... We can't wait! :D

I've noticed a lot of people stop off at the MDR to check their table assignment. Does anyone know if the any time dining room will be open?

I'd like to go in and check out the tables for two that we'd prefer to sit at so that we can let them know when we arrive for dinner.

Apart from this, when we board I'm heading to the cupcake cupboard to book my class, head to jammer for lunch then have a wander around the ship.... We can't wait! :D

The My Time area will be available for viewing. There will also be an attendant at the My Time podium where you can make a reservation if you wish.

We usually grab a drink and walk around for a bit, checking out a few of the areas if it's a new ship for us. We check out the MDR to see where our table is, but this next time we'll have MTD so that won't matter. We grab some lunch, trying to snag an outside table. When the rooms are open we check every once in a while to see if our suitcases are there. When they show up we unpack.

Then the phone goes off and I'm on vacation, and we hit the bars and explore!

Thank you for all your amazing replies so far...

I am in the 2 week countdown to sailing stage and it really gets me in the excited cruise mood...

Any one else head for the spa or managed to snag a free mini treatment before?

Does anyone know if any of the activities are open on the first day like golf or the climbing wall?

Lisa xx;)

Edited by shaycat11
Grammar

Hello Everyone,

Lisa xx

Head to the nearest bar and order the customary first drink... Red Stripe!