New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We have just been assigned a boarding time and it is quite late (2:10).  Can we expect that our rooms will be ready by that time?  (It is usually around 1 that rooms are ready on the other lines we have been on). 

If so, can just bring our suitcase with us rather than "checking" it since we can go straight to the room?

And, can we carry it off during disembarkation?

(We usually take much shorter cruises so we are used to only having a backpack).

28 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

We have just been assigned a boarding time and it is quite late (2:10).  Can we expect that our rooms will be ready by that time?  (It is usually around 1 that rooms are ready on the other lines we have been on). 

If so, can just bring our suitcase with us rather than "checking" it since we can go straight to the room?

(We usually take much shorter cruises so we are used to only having a backpack).

Your room will be ready when you embark. The problem with trying embark with your suitcase on is that it will (likely) not fit through the scanner when you go through security. You will need to check it. You WILL be able to carry off during self-disembarkation.

1 hour ago, tensixmom said:

47 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Your room will be ready when you embark. The problem with trying embark with your suitcase on is that it will (likely) not fit through the scanner when you go through security. You will need to check it. You WILL be able to carry off during self-disembarkation.

Depends on the size of your suitcase and the embarkation port. We just cruised out of Vancouver and planned on handing over our rollaboards since we had a 10am checkin time.  But in order to do so, we had to ride a small elevator with a long line upstairs to the place to leave our bags (I suspect this was because the luggage folks were still busy getting everyone off the ship and didn’t want to run the chance of intermingling the luggage) so instead we walked aboard with ours.  At Vancouver no issue with our bags fitting through the X-ray machine. Once we got aboard (at 12:05😤-why did they have us show up at 10 if we were gonna have to wait an hour and a half after actually checking in???) we took our bags directly to the room before getting lunch. 

We also did self disembarkation thankfully as the luggage claim room was a zoo.  

YMMV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.  Ok thank you very much!  Glad to know we can still carry it off, though.  I'd rather just get off the ship as soon as I am ready vs. having to wait around somewhere.

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Depends on the size of your suitcase and the embarkation port. We just cruised out of Vancouver and planned on handing over our rollaboards since we had a 10am checkin time.  But in order to do so, we had to ride a small elevator with a long line upstairs to the place to leave our bags (I suspect this was because the luggage folks were still busy getting everyone off the ship and didn’t want to run the chance of intermingling the luggage) so instead we walked aboard with ours.  At Vancouver no issue with our bags fitting through the X-ray machine. Once we got aboard (at 12:05😤-why did they have us show up at 10 if we were gonna have to wait an hour and a half after actually checking in???) we took our bags directly to the room before getting lunch. 

We also did self disembarkation thankfully as the luggage claim room was a zoo.  

YMMV

It's a 'regular' size suitcase (I'd definitely have to check it if I were flying) so I am thinking it probably won't fit in their xray machine... thank you very much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tensixmom said:

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.  Ok thank you very much!  Glad to know we can still carry it off, though.  I'd rather just get off the ship as soon as I am ready vs. having to wait around somewhere.

It's a 'regular' size suitcase (I'd definitely have to check it if I were flying) so I am thinking it probably won't fit in their xray machine... thank you very much.

You’re right, unlikely to fit. 😢

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

On HAL you are free to wait in your room until your tag is called.  Have a wonderful time!

That wasn’t the case for us on Koningsdam on October 24th in Vancouver.  They requested that you be out of your stateroom by 8.  

Question about booking a restaurant reservation. I want to book Pinnacle for the first day. Right now the website wants to charge $184, however two of our guests (different booking #) have vouchers and two guests will have plenty of OBC to cover their portion.

Is there any way to delay payment? I just want to place the reservation right now but pay for the restaurant later (you know, like every other restaurant in the world 😆). Or do I need to pay now, then go to guest services once on board with vouchers and OBC in hand and get it all fixed?

Thanks

14 hours ago, epistax said:

I want to book Pinnacle for the first day. Right now the website wants to charge $184, however two of our guests (different booking #) have vouchers and two guests will have plenty of OBC to cover their portion. Is there any way to delay payment?

Unfortunately, no. If the vouchers are via HIA, those quests can pre-book without a charge. OBC can only be used once onboard. With different booking #, reservations can be made independently and then linked by calling HAL or going to restaurant once onboard.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

This is really a dumb question but how do I see what dining time I am supposed to be in?  I am looking at my itinerary and I just don't see it.

On the first page of your booking confirmation the 2nd section is labeled “Cruise Details”.  The very last item on the right-hand column is “Dining”.  It will say something like “Main” or “Open”.  Main is usually 8pm.  Open is no assigned time; come when you want.  The other choice will be early which is usually around 5:30pm.  When you get your key/ship card the assigned dining will be there, along with which deck to go to.

13 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

On the first page of your booking confirmation the 2nd section is labeled “Cruise Details”.  The very last item on the right-hand column is “Dining”.  It will say something like “Main” or “Open”.  Main is usually 8pm.  Open is no assigned time; come when you want.  The other choice will be early which is usually around 5:30pm.  When you get your key/ship card the assigned dining will be there, along with which deck to go to.

Thank you so much.  I am afraid I inadvertently deleted the email with the Booking Confirmation on it (all I can find this morning is my boarding pass).

I guess I can just wait and be surprised!

6 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

Thank you so much.  I am afraid I inadvertently deleted the email with the Booking Confirmation on it (all I can find this morning is my boarding pass).

Whoops!  Hopefully you don’t need it because that’s where the proof of all your Special Services (promos) are listed.  Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, tensixmom said:

You can ask your travel advisor, you pcc, or call HAL to send you another confirmation. You really should have it printed and with you. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Whoops!  Hopefully you don’t need it because that’s where the proof of all your Special Services (promos) are listed.  Enjoy your cruise!

13 minutes ago, SKCruiser007 said:

You can ask your travel advisor, you pcc, or call HAL to send you another confirmation. You really should have it printed and with you. 🙂

I have emailed to request it; thanks!

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

You did what?!  🤣

It's the only thing I can think of as I have searched 4 different ways.

It would be great if it were available online along with other important items.

I've found HAL's website (this is our first HAL cruise) to be overall less user friendly for me than Princess, Carnival, or RC.  *sigh*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tensixmom said:

It should be listed on your boarding pass (it is on mine at least)

Edited by boeckli