White after Labor Day?

I know here in my area most people are sticking to that custom. Do you see a lot people on cruises still wearing white after Labor Day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use cruising as a great excuse to wear white after Labor Day :) Yes, you will see plenty of white onboard.

I know here in my area most people are sticking to that custom. Do you see a lot people on cruises still wearing white after Labor Day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While there still may be some that stick to the custom of not wearing white after Labor Day, I suspect that many don't know why that custom was started. And, I suspect there are others that either don't know about or care about that antiquated custom. It's no longer the fashion faux pas that it used to be. Keep in mind that this is primarily a U.S. fashion custom. Other countries do not have a Labor Day holiday like we do, and as you well know, people on cruises come from all over the world, not just the U.S.

Edited by beachbum53

If it's warm enough that I can wear a swimsuit and flip flops, then I'm definitely wearing white, no matter what the date is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree:):):) Will probably not take white on my repo cruise next month down the west coast...will probably be cool..but in the Bahamas and Caribbean...always wear white no matter what the month:D

Even though this idea is antiquated, even in its prime there was always an exception for "resort wear." So, even if you hold to this "rule," anything you wear on a cruise ship outside of formal dining attire would probably be considered "resort wear" and thus exempt from this rule.

I remember my Mother telling me this and I looked at her and said 'why not?. As there was not a common sense answer I ignored it (I was also a teenager at the time). Since then I have simply ignored any 'rule' made up by long ago departed ladies of wealth. Especially those made up to help distinguish your appropriate 'class'. :rolleyes:

I was curious how this rule came to be and found this interesting:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12424/why-can%E2%80%99t-you-wear-white-after-labor-day

Thanks for the link. Never know why my Mom used to cringe when I wore white after Labor Day

And since I am leaving on the legend this sat for 23 days of cruising to the south pacific I am taking lots of while clothes. So Mom is probably looking down from above (she passed last September) and giving me that look again.

Thanks for the link. Never know why my Mom used to cringe when I wore white after Labor Day

And since I am leaving on the legend this sat for 23 days of cruising to the south pacific I am taking lots of while clothes. So Mom is probably looking down from above (she passed last September) and giving me that look again.

I never gave it much thought, but I guess I always assumed it had to do with the sloppy autumn/winter/spring weather and dresses dragging in the slush and mud. The real reason is so much less sensible! :rolleyes:

Edited by srlafleur