White after Labor Day?

When cruising the Caribbean or Hawaii, I always take white pants, even in the winter. However, we are on a Transatlantic out of Rome in Nov and I am expecting it to be chilly. I'm thinking white pants might not be good to take. What say ye, Ladies?

I think white would be really out of place that time of the year. It's pretty much out of place any time of the year in Italy where black rules year round.

Wow .. I think winter white wool slacks and a heavy cable knit whit tunic is a stunning out fit at Christmas... add a long strand of pearls and perhaps a strand of crystal to mix with it and yummy white leather boots and how can that be wrong?

I think that rule probably went away about the time women quit wearing gloves and hat to go downtown to shop or lunch !!

- Honeybearhollow - I would ignore this 'rule'!?. Until I started reading this thread (because the title intrigued me) I had no idea that America had this dress code. No such rule exists in Europe NOR the rest of the world and as you will be on a cruise leaving Rome, there are likely to be non-Americans on board who will be blissfully unaware they may be breaking an outdated American 'rule'.

As for Italians mostly wearing black - Pucci, Versace, Prada.....I don't think so!

I (like most European women) wear whatever the weather and the circumstances dictate - colour doesn't come into it.

Agee with Lutece, I live in England and travel to mainland Europe regularly. White is not a colour I would wear in the cooler months Oct-end of March (except a shirt of course),certainly not shoes or pants I love my white linen but keep it for Spring and Summer..Neutral colours and black are my colours of choice, brightened with a splash of colour in my accessories.My code is "less is more " Italian and French women in particular have this down to a fine art.!! I looked ,watched and learnt. Style not fashion is my mantra!:)

I had read this thread and then this showed up in the Parade supplement of the paper.

Tim Gunn on Breaking Fashion Rules and What Should Be Banished From Your Closet (For Good!)

AUGUST 30, 2014 – 5:00 AM – 1 COMMENT

Share on facebookShare on twitterMore Sharing Services

By ASHLEIGH SCHMITZ @schmitzey

(Getty Images)

If there is someone to trust when it comes to doling out fashion advice, it’s Tim Gunn. With Labor Day this weekend, we wanted to learn once and for all: is it ok to wear white after Labor Day? In our Q&A with the Project Runway mentor and style guru, we tackle that question (spoiler alert: you totally can!) and dispel other antiquated fashion rules.

Is it okay to wear white after Labor Day?

“Oh absolutely! All those rules need to go away. All of them, absolutely. In fact, winter white is stunning, it really is.”

What are some tips for wearing white after Labor Day?

“Don’t wear it with a crop top. I mean you can pair it with anything that’s appropriate. When I say appropriate, weather appropriate, it’s occasion appropriate and it’s age appropriate. I love white trench coats, they’re gorgeous.”

You mentioned winter white, what are some ways to incorporate that?

“I think that there’s nothing that a woman looks better in than a crisp white top, stunning. Look at Carolina Herrera. It’s funny though, a dear friend of mine is Grace Mirabella the former editor-in-chief of Vogue and Grace is always saying ‘I’m on a constant hunt for the great white shirt.’ I want to say ‘Grace, let’s go shopping together, we’ll find it.’ But it’s so flattering and it sets off the face. It should have an open neck, have a big wide lapel, and it looks great.”

What are some of the other fashion rules you think are meant to be broken?

“That you can’t wear black and brown together, in fact you can. In fact, I think there are a few things that are chicer than black with brown suede boots–beautiful. That’s certainly one rule. That you can’t mix patterns, I mean look at me, of course you can. Then there are things that should be banished from everyone’s wardrobe.”

What are some of those?

“The cargo capri pant, or any capri pants should be banished. I mean they’re everywhere. I have a theory about them. My theory is, it’s an easy pant to fit because you only have to fit the waist and when you’re wearing a longer pant you have to be concerned about how high your heel is, it needs to be appropriate to that footwear so it’s not a matter of well any pant can go with any shoe. That’s why I say I’m so happy I’m a man because we don’t have these issues. My issue with the crop pant is that visually it makes women look shorter, it cuts off the leg in an unflattering place and when you add the cargo pockets it makes them look wider. The women that I know want to look long and lean, they don’t want to look short and squat. That’s one issue. The other is actually crop tops–what is with these things? They are fine at the beach, but I don’t think they belong on city streets. My other pet peeve is the drop-crotch pant, which I just think it’s very unflattering: it makes women and men, too, when they wear them, it’s like you’re packing a diaper, so it’s not a good look. But most fashion mistakes fall in the category of fit: that items are either too big or too small. And your clothes should, when they fit well, I believe they should skim you, not hug you and not fall away from you.”

Wow .. I think winter white wool slacks and a heavy cable knit whit tunic is a stunning out fit at Christmas... add a long strand of pearls and perhaps a strand of crystal to mix with it and yummy white leather boots and how can that be wrong?

Winter White is quite different from the bright white of summer cottons. :)

LuLu

Winter White is quite different from the bright white of summer cottons. :)

LuLu

I agree with all of you, so I decided not to take white pants to wear in Europe, but may take some to wear on the ship as we get closer to Florida, because what I have is bright white summer cottons. Thank you.

In Florida we wear white ALL year round, flip flops too. :)

Depends on where you are in Florida. You won't find that in Orlando, except on the tourists. Our winter fashions are the same here as they would be anywhere in the north, except we typically have lighter weight wool or cottons instead of heavier weight wool. Flip flops are replaced by shoes when the temps hit into the 50's and 60's.

I wore my white capris today--ha! (It's about 80).

When visiting parents in way south Texas (McAllen area), we have noticed that in winter the 'natives', as opposed to the Winter Texans, wear wintery looking clothes; dark colors, heavier fabrics, boots, etc.

It might be 95 during Christmas vacation, but by golly they are wearing their winter clothes, and that's what is mostly in the stores.

Of course it does get coolish, at times, even frosts once every 2 or 3 years, but I really don't get wearing such dark heavy clothing when average temps are probably 65-80 during the winter.

When cruising the Caribbean or Hawaii, I always take white pants, even in the winter. However, we are on a Transatlantic out of Rome in Nov and I am expecting it to be chilly. I'm thinking white pants might not be good to take. What say ye, Ladies?

Going on my 3rd transatlantic this fall and definitely packing the white 'summer' clothes, bathing suits, flip flops and sundresses - crossings have typically been very warm

This one is again from Barcelona to florida with stops in st thomas and st martin so like a transatlantic and caribbean cruise all thrown into one! :)

P.S...and I am wearing white capris and a white top with some colored bling on it - very hot and muggy here today (and I am in ottawa, canada!) :D

Edited by Froufie

I wore my white capris today--ha! (It's about 80).

When visiting parents in way south Texas (McAllen area), we have noticed that in winter the 'natives', as opposed to the Winter Texans, wear wintery looking clothes; dark colors, heavier fabrics, boots, etc.

It might be 95 during Christmas vacation, but by golly they are wearing their winter clothes, and that's what is mostly in the stores.

Of course it does get coolish, at times, even frosts once every 2 or 3 years, but I really don't get wearing such dark heavy clothing when average temps are probably 65-80 during the winter.

I love some fall and winter looks--tights with a skirt, riding boots, sweaters (albeit lightweight). Of course I don't wear them when it's 80 out, but our typical winter days average in the upper 60's. Yes, it might hit 70 for an hour, but that's offset by nights in the 40's. It's not summer temps, why would we dress for them?

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been debating whether to take my white dress pants outfits on my December cruise this year. I have a beautiful lavender top with a crystal beading design on it, and it just looks dressier with a white cami and white pants.

So, I guess I will "rename" the pants Winter White, and take them!!

Yesterday my SIL and I were going out for the day. I was wearing white pants and a printed top. I got to her house and she was wearing darker colors. She took one look at me and said "I putting on white too". She then changed into white pants and a flowered top. We both laugh about the no white after Labor Day and went on our way. By the way, she is 85 years old and grew up with the Labor Day rule.

Depends on where you are in Florida. You won't find that in Orlando, except on the tourists. Our winter fashions are the same here as they would be anywhere in the north, except we typically have lighter weight wool or cottons instead of heavier weight wool. Flip flops are replaced by shoes when the temps hit into the 50's and 60's.

Yes, we spend the winter in an area near St. Augustine and I noticed there was a lot of black and beige. I was expecting more white and tropical wear.

I love some fall and winter looks--tights with a skirt, riding boots, sweaters (albeit lightweight). Of course I don't wear them when it's 80 out, but our typical winter days average in the upper 60's. Yes, it might hit 70 for an hour, but that's offset by nights in the 40's. It's not summer temps, why would we dress for them?

From December to April we might get a 40 degree DAY! If I wait for warm weather to wear white I might as well throw out a lot of my clothes! :D

Yesterday my SIL and I were going out for the day. I was wearing white pants and a printed top. I got to her house and she was wearing darker colors. She took one look at me and said "I putting on white too". She then changed into white pants and a flowered top. We both laugh about the no white after Labor Day and went on our way. By the way, she is 85 years old and grew up with the Labor Day rule.

Wearing white capris again today! We're really rebels, aren't we?!

I wore an orange flowered gauze sundress today. It was in the 80s and humid so there was no way I was wearing fall clothes. I guess it depends on where you're from and what you're used to though. I don't even pull out my heavy coat unless it's close to 0. If it hits 40 here in the winter, you will see someone in shorts and flip flops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we spend the winter in an area near St. Augustine and I noticed there was a lot of black and beige. I was expecting more white and tropical wear.

Definitely winter-type clothing in Northern Florida. I just spent a couple days up along the state line and people are already starting to wear some darker colors, even though it was into the 80's both days. I am still wearing sleeveless and light colors for the next month or so, but am looking forward to November when I can begin to break out the "winter clothes."