White after Labor Day?

There's a movie comedy made in 1994 called "Serial Mom" starring Kathleen Turner. She's a serial killer who kills people for doing things like not separating their recyclable stuff from their garbage. Anyway, at the end of the movie she murders a woman for wearing white shoes after Labor Day!

People wear white on cruises all the time; I do too. I also wear white any time I want, although I would feel silly wearing white summery clothes in December in Nebraska, say--but not white season appropriate clothes.

It'll be near 90 next week; I'll wear white.

I don't give "the rule" any thought in warm climates and wear white on cruises or trips to Florida any time of the year. At home though, in December, wouldn't be wearing white pants. Just wouldn't feel right in the winter in the Northeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wear white, true white, year round. Maybe it's the rebel in me, but I dress to satisfy my fashion sense and not some rules made by stuffy socialites over 100 years ago. Wear white proudly my friends! :D

(unless the weather will ruin it, then wear darker colors ;))

Lisa

If I am on a cruise where I am wearing a swimsuit, I also wear white. :)

I dress to the weather where I am rather than the calendar.

October in the Caribbean, I'd wear white. October in Boston, No. :)

I, too, dress for the weather. Being from Michigan our summer is painfully short. When we have wonderful hot days in September, I dress accordingly and that may include white slacks and a summer top. As the weather changes, I do too. It's hard for me to let go of summer.

I know here in my area most people are sticking to that custom. Do you see a lot people on cruises still wearing white after Labor Day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruises to where? The Caribbean? Sure, I'd wear white until November or so.

Alaska? Nope. Europe? Nope.

Hey I just found out your not suppose to wear denim on denim, no blue denim jacket with blue denim pants. ...I gotta get with the times here! :)

Yes, I've heard that too, but sometimes I still do. I do think it can look a little matchy-matchy, but if we followed every wardrobe rule some fashion expert came up with, pretty soon we wouldn't be leaving the house.

Denim with denim is coming back, according to InStyle magazine.

I've been wearing all my white pants/jeans/shorts this past week since Labor Day is coming. Think I will be rebellious this year and use common sense. If it's hot next week, I'm wearing them. May as well enjoy them as long as I can before the snow flies in Michigan!

I live in SW Florida which is a wealthy resort area. We wear white (and sandals) ALL year long down here. Seriously, it's tropical, resort wear is white. Wear your summer white clothes when on a cruise. I find it depressing when we travel to other areas especially in the fall and winter. All dark colors, yuk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wore white in New Zealand in Feb. It was summer there and they don't celebrate Labor Day so don't know when to stop the white :D. I go more by the temps. If a hot place, I wear my shorter pants and lighter colors -- many of my shorts/capris are white. If it is cooler, I wear my long sleeves and long pants which tend to be darker colors. If it is downright cold, I wear everything I have such as a tank top under a long sleeve shirt under a sweater or fleece under a coat! When you are doing "Michelan Man" look it does not have to match or coordinate -- it just has to be in the suitcase and add to the warmth! :D

IMHO the rule of no white after Labor Day is only for USA and only if I want to follow it. Anything else really does not matter.

Taking an arcane rule out of the equation, it's interesting that everyone is saying they would wear white after Labor Day in the Caribbean because it is warm and they will dress for the weather. On the flip side, there are ladies who will wear an obviously warm fabric in the Caribbean that is meant for cold weather......velvet.:D:D:D

My simple rules for wearing white:

If it is hot enough to wear a bathing suit, you can wear white.

If it is 80 degrees in the shade, you can wear white.

If coconuts are on the palm trees and hibiscus, orchids and bougainvillea are in bloom, you can wear white.

If the ocean water is over 80 degrees you can wear white.

My simple rules for wearing white:

If it is hot enough to wear a bathing suit, you can wear white.

If it is 80 degrees in the shade, you can wear white.

If coconuts are on the palm trees and hibiscus, orchids and bougainvillea are in bloom, you can wear white.

If the ocean water is over 80 degrees you can wear white.

Works for me too!!