Huge penalty for cancelling one person in final week

tedwit

It certainly can be a tough crowd around here.

While CC can be very helpful I've noticed there is often misinformation provided on here that reaches mythical proportions to the point where it can be frustratingly useless (passport threads as an example). A professional shouldn't rely on these forums for their clients. It's fine for a professional agent to use CC as a resource to find some hints, tips, recommendations, etc as info for their clients but something obvious like in this thread situation raises eyebrows as evidenced by some posters responses.

For reputations sake I probably would have consulted other TA's. Just my two cents worth.

Except that they now have a record of the TA calling NCL to cancel and getting the information about the $1400 fee for the remaining passenger (which I assume corresponds to the single supplement). I imagine that someone at NCL takes a careful look at no-shows in case there's anything fishy going on, and in this case they would probably have enough information to give the TA and their client a hard time if they choose to.

Personally if I were a TA, I think I would come here for information all the time. But I would never identify myself as a TA, to protect myself and my clients, in case the discussion ever turned to violating cruise line policies or skirting their rules in possibly less-than-totally-legitimate ways. For example, NCL can easily identify the OP of this thread and find out that this is where they got the idea of letting the passenger no-show instead of cancelling properly, as NCL would obviously prefer.

How can NCL find out the identity of the OP? I thought that is why there are screen names and not our own names on CC. :)

How can NCL find out the identity of the OP?
They just need to look for a New Jersey-based TA, possibly named Ted, who booked a group of 21 passengers in 7 cabins for the August 31 Breakaway sailing…

EDIT: From information posted in other threads on CC, I was able to find the OP's name and the name of his travel agency.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Meanwhile, over at the WebMD forum...

OP: Yeah, so I'm an orthopaedic surgeon doing a knee replacement and I've got the patient open here and there's something about the anterior cruciate ligament that is a little unusual. It doesn't look torn as much as it just doesn't look as fibrous as usual. Can I get some advice from some experienced members on the board here as to what I should...

Exactly! Plus, add in the fact that some people calling themselves TA's essentially purchase a credential to reap perks for their own benefit, rather than being trained and accredited through the industry professional organizations! This one says they booked a group of 7. Bet he's sailing, too, for free. Sorry if I am too skeptical for some of you.

There are good TA's out there who are properly trained and certified, not to mention insured against any liability resulting from their business. I have my doubts that this op is one of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It sounds as though the NCL rep was confused.

here's how I imagine the conversation going:

TA: my customer's gf can't go, can you take her off the reservation?

NCL Rep: I can, but you have to realize it's going to cost the remaining passenger $1400 extra - than the remaining passenger already paid.

TA: $1400 more than his already paid full fare?

NCL Rep: Yup, it's what we call the Single Supplement. There have to be two paying fares in the cabin, so if we are giving her a refund, then he'll have to pay 2x the original fare.

In other words, NCL Rep likely saying that there's no advantage to cancelling the 2nd name....and the TA's reference to fully paid fare (2 people in the cabin) and the NCL Rep's reference to fully paid fare (per passenger) are most likely not the same thing.

Edited by sjbdtz

I won't opine as to whether it was proper for the OP to ask the forum rather than ask other TAs and/or pursue the matter with NCL, but to my mind there's definitely something fishy about the $1400 penalty.

In NCL's cancellation fee schedule, which is part of the contract that every passenger agrees to, the fee for cancelling within 14 days of the departure date is 100% of the fare. There's no word about a penalty in addition to the fare that's already been paid. It also says "No refunds will be given on any cruise for no-shows." Again, no word of an additional penalty.

The $1400 is *not* the single supplement. The single supplement should increase the solo traveler's fare to twice his/her original fare... which should be exactly equal to his/her fare plus the companion's fare already paid. No money should be changing hands in either direction (unless NCL chooses to refund the port charges, which I don't think the contract requires it to do).

tedwit, is the per-person fare for this cabin more than, less than, or equal to $1400? I'm trying to figure out where the NCL rep got that number.

I think the most on-point question is whether this couple bought trip insurance, and if so, whether it allows cancellation "for any reason" (or for this person's specific reason). If there's no insurance, the couple is out the lady's fare (and I get the impression they're OK with that). But I don't see anything in NCL's contract that would require them to pay more money than they've already paid... and I can't blame the OP for wanting a second opinion.

How can NCL find out the identity of the OP? I thought that is why there are screen names and not our own names on CC. :)

.....but if you blab enough information, they can look on their system and find out if any reservations meets the criteria of the OP's story.

It's not big brother, just logical deduction.

:cool:

wasiii

The $1400 is *not* the single supplement. The single supplement should increase the solo traveler's fare to twice his/her original fare... which should be exactly equal to his/her fare plus the companion's fare already paid.

Except that if the companion cancels within the 100% penalty phase, NCL pockets her fare. It is no longer applied to the cost of the entire booking. It simply disappears. At that point, NCL sees a double cabin booked for one person who has only paid half the required fare.

They have to do it this way, otherwise single travellers would always book with another person as a couple, make sure the other person has CFAR insurance and get them to cancel at the last minute. The fake companion would get their money back and the first passenger would sail solo without paying the supplement.

Of course, if the first passenger's insurance covers the "unexpected" single supplement resulting from the companion's cancellation, then this scam still works. And travel insurance premiums go up for everyone else.

They just need to look for a New Jersey-based TA, possibly named Ted, who booked a group of 21 passengers in 7 cabins for the August 31 Breakaway sailing…

EDIT: From information posted in other threads on CC, I was able to find the OP's name and the name of his travel agency.

I am not a ta of course but this is exactly why I always change the specifics when I ask a question or make a comment here. Lol

Nothing big but my ds become a dd

Don't use my real names and always say I am from a different city than I actually live in

My job changes constantly

My family of whatever become a family of whatever

My dw becomes a dh

Stuff like that but I always give true and honest answers regarding ships or port questions

Just have a little fun hiding my personal info. Lol😎

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called NCL to cancel her off the reservation and was told that the passenger that is still going will have to pay an additional $1400 penalty on top of the full fare that he has already paid.

Umm, the OP already called & gave the passenger's name as potentially cancelling. They keep call logs and records.

.....but if you blab enough information, they can look on their system and find out if any reservations meets the criteria of the OP's story.

It's not big brother, just logical deduction.

:cool:

wasiii

Geez....it was just a question. No need to be rude and/or sarcastic when others ask questions. (That is the tone that came across). Not everyone has the same knowledge. This is part of the issue on CC; just because I do not know what you know does not make me lack 'logical deduction'. I ask that you have patience with others' questions and be more open minded.

Thanks in advance. :)

Geez....it was just a question. No need to be rude and/or sarcastic when others ask questions. (That is the tone that came across). Not everyone has the same knowledge. This is part of the issue on CC; just because I do not know what you know does not make me lack 'logical deduction'. I ask that you have patience with others' questions and be more open minded.

Was not being rude or sarcastic, sorry if you took it that way.

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

OP: Yeah, so I'm an orthopaedic surgeon doing a knee replacement and I've got the patient open here and there's something about the anterior cruciate ligament that is a little unusual. It doesn't look torn as much as it just doesn't look as fibrous as usual. Can I get some advice from some experienced members on the board here as to what I should...

If the ACL is not compromised, your patient may want to opt for a knee resurfacing procedure as opposed to a TNR. The procedure will preserve the integrity of the ACL and MCL and have a shorter recovery period.

:D Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I would agree with an earlier poster that this is what happened:

Dear NCL - one person in a 2 person cabin will not make it. Please cancel him out.

NCL Response - sure, we can do that. Let me credit back the cancelled person. But, the price for the SINGLE person just changed, meaning they have to pay $1,400.

In the end, the cost is either the same, or close to it (taxes, port fees, etc).

Amazing stuff here.

If the ACL is not compromised, your patient may want to opt for a knee resurfacing procedure as opposed to a TNR. The procedure will preserve the integrity of the ACL and MCL and have a shorter recovery period.

"I'm not a surgeon but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

OMG! Thanks for the laugh. Made my day!

So, a poster said they booked 7 cabins and the OP is traveling in the group. Is it possible the OP has a free berth for booking the group and if one cruiser cancels then the group doesn't meet the minimum for the free berth, so now the free berth also has to pay?

Regardless of this being cc or not, logical deduction and life experience tells us that they keep phone logs.

This is one reason why I only use my cell or a family members cell for certain calls versus using my landline for certain calls

I would agree with an earlier poster that this is what happened:

Dear NCL - one person in a 2 person cabin will not make it. Please cancel him out.

NCL Response - sure, we can do that. Let me credit back the cancelled person. But, the price for the SINGLE person just changed, meaning they have to pay $1,400.

In the end, the cost is either the same, or close to it (taxes, port fees, etc).

Amazing stuff here.

That's what I originally thought, but I'm now not sure that's the case.

It sounds to me like NCL are basically saying that as the second passenger has cancelled this close, no refund is being made and in addition, as the remaining passenger is now a solo in the cabin, the single supplement will kick in so they need to pay the extra without getting a refund for the first passenger.

If that is actually the case then I have to say I think that's pretty harsh on NCL's part.

So, a poster said they booked 7 cabins and the OP is traveling in the group.

What that poster wrote was completely without foundation. There is absolutely no indication in the OP's messages that he is cruising with this group, or that he is selfishly protecting his own perks and advantages as a TA. He may come across as a little bit clueless in this thread, but he seems to me to be working sincerely in the interest of his client (i.e. trying to save them $1400).

It sounds to me like NCL are basically saying that as the second passenger has cancelled this close, no refund is being made and in addition, as the remaining passenger is now a solo in the cabin, the single supplement will kick in so they need to pay the extra without getting a refund for the first passenger.

If that is actually the case then I have to say I think that's pretty harsh on NCL's part.

As I attempted to explain above, if NCL did not apply their cancellation penalties as laid out in the passenger contract, solo cruisers could use this trick to avoid the single supplement every time. They would just need a willing accomplice and cancellation insurance. Edited by hawkeyetlse

What that poster wrote was completely without foundation. There is absolutely no indication in the OP's messages that he is cruising with this group, or that he is selfishly protecting their own perks and advantages as a TA. He may come across as a little bit clueless, but he seems to me to be working sincerely in the interest of his client.

Right....because as everyone knows, a good TA always seeks advice from Internet message boards :rolleyes:

As I attempted to explain above, if NCL did not apply their cancellation penalties as laid out in the passenger contract, solo cruisers could use this trick to avoid the single supplement every time. They would just need a willing accomplice and cancellation insurance.

Yes, I understand your point, but still think it's a harsh way of dealing with this situation. I'm sure some people would take the route you suggest, but I'd be amazed if very many did (and you couldn't keep on doing it).

Basically, the implication is that NCL's policy is based around the assumption that people who cancel one person in a room at this point are doing so as part of an insurance fraud (because taking out insurance to cover an event you intend to cause is fraud). I still find that to be harsh.

Regardless of this being cc or not, logical deduction and life experience tells us that they keep phone logs.

This is one reason why I only use my cell or a family members cell for certain calls versus using my landline for certain calls

Doesn't matter. I use my land line phone and number is always blocked and private. However, they always call me back, somehow, getting that number I'm calling from even though I don't give name, etc. but am calling for basic info.

Harriet