New Thread on Dress Code Policy Preferences

kangforpres

HAL's Dress code  

288 members have voted

1. 1. HAL's Dress code

• I think HAL should continue Formal Nights.
    • I want Hal to discontinue Formal Nights.
    • I would like HAL to enforce the Dress Code it already has
    • I think HAL should get rid of the Dress Code.
    • I like things the way they are, a dress code but no enforcement.

To add to my other post. Make a formal deck and charge passengers an extra $20- 25 per cruise to go to the formal nights. There will be a few extra perks bigger shrimp,lobsters, snails etc. special desserts etc.

Then you could also go into the jacket business for any passengers who miraculously decide they want to play "Dress Up"

Most of the HAL ships we've been on.

I only notice in passing (....like friends saying...can you believe what she/he is wearing!.....) as we skulk through the back stair ways to the Lido/Canaletto for dinner.

What passes for "Formal" on HAL ships (and I know what "Formal" really is...) is truly astonishing.

Well, in future, please make sure that you provide evidence, including photos with date and time stamp, and notarized statements from several other witnesses of what you see, because you will be challenged on this board. :eek:;)

Well, in future, please make sure that you provide evidence, including photos with date and time stamp, and notarized statements from several other witnesses of what you see, because you will be challenged on this board. :eek:;)

I know and I don't care! Got better things to do on a cruise than be the Fashion Police (.....unlike others....)

Using the 7 day itinerary as an example: the 5 nights of Smart Casual and 2 nights of Formal are quite acceptable to me. If one chooses not to participate in Formal Night attire, dinner at the Lido or at Canaletto, or even Room Service, is available for those good folk. Enforcement of whatever dress code that exists is, I think, very important. But, that takes a Dining Room Manager, backed by a Hotel Director, that is willing to do so.

What would not be acceptable is an Optional Formal Night where one would get such a mixture of dress, some of which might be, by my standards at least...

I totally agree with you. We don't often dressed up at home and love to do it on cruises.

The cruise lines need to enforce the dress code and people who don't want to bother bringing a suit can eat at the Lido...

Cruising is special, exciting and out of your daily routine, please people, keep it special...

Originally Posted by cruz chic

I don't like the idea of formal optional nights. I feel like a moron if I'm all dressed up and others aren't. Yes, I know I can go casual. I just wish they would go one way or the other and enforce it. Do away with it or keep it with enforcement.

I'm with you cruz chic.

I'm with you solocanadian and Cruz chic!!!

How does that sound any sillier than insisting that HAL make a dining room only for formally dressed people several times on a cruise?

I agree the 'me...me...me attitude' of those who like to dress up is a bit tiresome.

You do realize that is Hal's rule right? Why shoot the messenger? Why not boycott Hal or email, snail mail, Facebook etc them?

You do realize that is Hal's rule right? Why shoot the messenger? Why not boycott Hal or email, snail mail, Facebook etc them?

That point is totally irrelevant. No one is disputing HAL's right to establish a set of rules for their cruise ship. We're debating what the rule should be, not whether HAL has a right to establish a rule.

Love it. Remember, if another poster has never experienced what you have, then your experience couldn't possibly be true. :rolleyes:

There are posters to this thread who are suggesting that those who do not like formal nights find another cruise line more to their liking. These are the very same posters who cry "how offensive" when other posters have expressed the very same sentiments to them in smoking threads. The hypocrisy is glaring.

That point is totally irrelevant. No one is disputing HAL's right to establish a set of rules for their cruise ship. We're debating what the rule should be, not whether HAL has a right to establish a rule.

But it is still HAL's rule, and all we can do is discuss - if we so desire - what some wish it could be. And both sides of the discussion can state their case but really, what is the point? When we book a cruise we know - or should know - about formal nights. In other words, we know the rules.;)

Love it. Remember, if another poster has never experienced what you have, then your experience couldn't possibly be true. :rolleyes:

There are posters to this thread who are suggesting that those who do not like formal nights find another cruise line more to their liking. These are the very same posters who cry "how offensive" when other posters have expressed the very same sentiments to them in smoking threads. The hypocrisy is glaring.

Well, doing a rough count of ships

Princess must have 15-20

Carnival must have 20-25

Celebrity must have 10

RCL must have 20

Plus costa and the myriad of others

Plenty to pick from

So yea why go on Hal, If you don't like formal nights

I like formal and just took a Carnival cruise- the formal was pretty much non existent, but I knew that going in, so I didn't have any disappointments.

Now that the CC Host closed a similar thread on this topic today and counting that thread we are over 350 posts, all I can say are the last two words spoken in the movie Bridge Over the River Kwai;

"Madness, Madness". :eek:

Princess must have 15-20

Carnival must have 20-25

Celebrity must have 10

RCL must have 20

Plenty to pick from

I like formal and just took a Carnival cruise- the formal was pretty much non existent, but I knew that going in, so I didn't have any disappointments.

I can say we chose to sail on Vaandam the first time, and the upcoming time strictly for the itinerary and that is IN SPITE of the formal nights, not because of them. That is why we chose to go on Hal to answer your question.

It seems that some are such staunch defenders of the formal night that they really can not even see the other side of the coin, or that this truly is a sliding scale, not one, or the other.

Maybe you were debating what it should be. I am talking about was it is.

Princess must have 15-20

Carnival must have 20-25

Celebrity must have 10

RCL must have 20

Plenty to pick from

We choose our cruises based on itinerary. We enjoy being at sea and the excellent service we receive on HAL For us it is about the adventure and spending time together. We don't eat in the main dining room. I can appreciate that many people enjoy formal nights but there is no need to say insulting things about those that don't care to participate. It is not a requirement!

I sometimes can't tell if people are disturbed by people that show up at the main dining room in clothes that seem too casual or if they don't like people dressed casually anywhere onboard. As many have pointed out a person must traverse the ship to reach the Lido. The gym/spa, pool, hot tubs and sports deck aren't closed on formal night.

I'm OK with HAL's policy. No issue with formal night. Why change it as long as it is popular?

Just wish they would take a little better care of those who want something different or something more acceptable for people who want to remain in casual attire. Perhaps extend the Lido hours by just an hour or so and stop closing down the Lido food stations so early.

Maybe turn Caneletto into something a little better. It really would not take very much effort on HAL's part and would not impact the formal MDR in any way. Who knows, if they did it right they might even be able to charge a little for it. That is what their competitors are doing and it seems to work very well.

I know it is difficult to use the words change and HAL in the same sentence.

Edited by iancal

I'm OK with HAL's policy. No issue with formal night. Why change it as long as it is popular?

Just wish they would take a little better care of those who want something different or something more acceptable for people who want to remain in casual attire. Perhaps extend the Lido hours by just an hour or so and stop closing down the Lido food stations so early.

Maybe turn Caneletto into something a little better. It really would not take very much effort on HAL's part and would not impact the formal MDR in any way. Who knows, if they did it right they might even be able to charge a little for it. That is what their competitors are doing and it seems to work very well.

I know it is difficult to use the words change and HAL in the same sentence.

They do charge for Canaletto. I'd love to see something like the tamarind. I don't really care if the atmosphere is the same. I just like the food.

The choice I want is not really represented. I don't want HAL to get rid of formal nights altogether. I know many people enjoy them.

I enjoy formal evening from time to time, but generally not multiple times per cruise. In other words, once we've got our "nice" photo for a keepsake we prefer comfort. If I bring a suit, I am bringing one. A sport coat too as well is very useful to have.

More often than not I'm likely to be in a pair of slacks and a polo shirt (with or without sportcoat. If it's hot inside the ship, forget it). And I like MDR food, I have paid for it and the service with my fare, and the buffet closes much too early. Neat, clean, presentable, club casual is what I prefer on a vacation I pay for. My mood isn't ruined by you in a suit, yours should not be ruined by me looking like a human being.

I assure everyone, unless medically quarantined or feeling sea sick, I will not ever order my dinner to my cabin.

How about a first time cruiser who hears about the formal nights on the cruise.

She loves to dress up but her day to day life does not permit it.

She spends 6 months researching formal wear,countless hours on the fashion forums, several trips to the stores to find the perfect dress. Then more hours trying to find shoes earrings etc.

It's almost here. She gets aboard and immediately books a hair appointment for formal night. She leaves the salon feeling like Cinderella

Waltzes into the dining room, only to be seated next to some shmo wearing track suit pants and a tee shirt.

If she's disappointed, I can't blame her.

The cruise line asks people that don't dress formally to eat in the lido. Wow, you don't get that? My cruise is not all about me. Please do everyone a favor. Get a table by yourself. No one needs to listen to that. I'm done with this thread. The me, me is tiresome. Please pick a cruiseline that fits with your wants a needs.

Why take off the jacket?

I don't recall it being that warm in the MDR. DH has never complained of being too warm in a jacket, and many times I've been grateful to have a shawl to keep my shoulders warm.

Keep your shawl if that is what makes you comfortable. Wearing a jacket when eating is not comfortable for me. I was actually sweating at the table on my last cruise and removed my jacket. Made a world of difference. I was able to enjoy my meal at that point.

Edited by LMaxwell

I didn't, and am not going to, apologize.

Your cruise is all about YOU. That's fine.

My cruise is all about ME. That's fine too.

I am not offended by your decadent dress. If my country club casual dress offends you, don't sit next to me. It's simple. The cruise line can tell me to go elsewhere, other guests can't. That's my point. If you are so bothered ask to be moved to a table more to your liking.

You telling people to go eat in the lido is disrespectful. And sad. And the height of pathetic. I try not to judge books by their cover. You feel differently. That's your entitlement.

Why do they call it Formal Evening? Why don't they call it Country Club Casual evening or are both of them the same?:confused:

Edited by Wakepatrol

We have no issue going to the Lido.

But when you look at this in the cold light of day the only thing formal about formal nights in the MDR is the place setting. The rest is pretend and pretentious from the banquet food down to what passes for the food and beverage service.

Edited by iancal