New Thread on Dress Code Policy Preferences

kangforpres

HAL's Dress code  

288 members have voted

1. 1. HAL's Dress code

• I think HAL should continue Formal Nights.
    • I want Hal to discontinue Formal Nights.
    • I would like HAL to enforce the Dress Code it already has
    • I think HAL should get rid of the Dress Code.
    • I like things the way they are, a dress code but no enforcement.

I was thinking of booking a cruise so my only concern was the dress code on these ships.

I have sailed mainly NCL and they have formal nights and you can dress up if you like and if you do not, then you don't!!

I think the people who love to dress have the right to do so, they enjoy that part of the cruising scene, like Titanic!

I like to get dressed up (no dresses though!!) but my husband does not.

On NCL, as with most cruise lines (I assume), they have two MDR.

My question is why not have the second dining room be cruise casual and the first dining room be for formal only?

I really do not care what other people wear, they paid good money to come on a cruise and they wear what they want..

janymac:p

It has been suggested that the open should be casual and the traditional be formal. I no longer want to do traditional. It works fine the way it is. I'm sure you would not like to be told to dress up any more than I like to be told to do traditional. Please don't suggest that it can be a mix. I do not feel comfortable dressing formal when others aren't. I'm not sure why folks want to change cruise lines to make themselves happy. I cruise on Princess fairly often and they do things I don't care for. I accept that. I don't feel the need to suggest that they change to make me happy. It accept it for what it is.

Edited by cruz chic

If they had a Formal only deck,with restaurants and entertainment.

If they ever decided to have different special "FOODS" for these occasions

that the rest of the ship wasn't getting.

It would take all of 2 seconds for a lot of the casual group to somehow come up with a jacket.

Got that right:D.

I was thinking of booking a cruise so my only concern was the dress code on these ships.

I have sailed mainly NCL and they have formal nights and you can dress up if you like and if you do not, then you don't!!

I think the people who love to dress have the right to do so, they enjoy that part of the cruising scene, like Titanic!

I like to get dressed up (no dresses though!!) but my husband does not.

On NCL, as with most cruise lines (I assume), they have two MDR.

My question is why not have the second dining room be cruise casual and the first dining room be for formal only?

I really do not care what other people wear, they paid good money to come on a cruise and they wear what they want..

janymac:p

I've done only one NCL cruise since freestyle started and even at the beginning of freestyle, they were designating one dining room formal and the other not formal. It did seem to work.

That can't be done on HAL because HAL does not have multiple MDRs. All (not sure about P'dam) ships have a two-level dining room. But they can't designate one level formal and one not because the levels are already designated one for traditional set time dining and one for open seating.

I've done only one NCL cruise since freestyle started and even at the beginning of freestyle, they were designating one dining room formal and the other not formal. It did seem to work.

That can't be done on HAL because HAL does not have multiple MDRs. All (not sure about P'dam) ships have a two-level dining room. But they can't designate one level formal and one not because the levels are already designated one for traditional set time dining and one for open seating.

How about using the traditional set dining room as the formal venue and the open seating one for casual? You would be told at the time of booking that if you selected traditional that you were doing formal and if you booked open seating there would be no formal.

How about using the traditional set dining room as the formal venue and the open seating one for casual? You would be told at the time of booking that if you selected traditional that you were doing formal and if you booked open seating there would be no formal.

Please see my post number 51 above. How about if it's kept the way it is or casual people dress formal? I think it great to have a choice in cruise lines that suit us instead of a one size fits all.

Edited by cruz chic

That won't work. This was discussed at some length on the thread that this one seems to have replaced.

You might expect that people who want the traditional fixed-time dining would want the traditional formal night. But that isn't necessarily true. So if you make the traditional time formal, what happens to the people who don't want to dress for formal night? They can't eat in the MDR because they can't get to their assigned table. And they can't go to the casual dining room because they would overload it.

And many people who like to dine at a time of their own choosing do like to dress up. So they end up dressed up and sitting next to someone in a track suit. (Yes, really. And I don't care if it's velour, a track suit is NOT "resort casual" or "elegant casual" or whatever HAL calls its nonformal nights)

HAL would need for zones:

traditional dining time and formal night

traditional dining time no formal night

anytime dining and formal night

anytime dining and no formal night

Just not feasible.

Yes, those that follow rules need to be made to go elsewhere. I assume you are joking.

No, I'm not joking. I am making a point. Those who like formal night are always referring casual diners to the Lido. If it's good enough for some, then it should be good enough for anyone.

I don't like the idea of formal optional nights. I feel like a moron if I'm all dressed up and others aren't. Yes, I know I can go casual. I just wish they would go one way or the other and enforce it. Do away with it or keep it with enforcement.

I am with you on this one too Cruz Chic.

No, I'm not joking. I am making a point. Those who like formal night are always referring casual diners to the Lido. If it's good enough for some, then it should be good enough for anyone.

Yes, but when the chairs are dressed nicer than the patrons, it's awkward. ;)

That won't work. This was discussed at some length on the thread that this one seems to have replaced.

You might expect that people who want the traditional fixed-time dining would want the traditional formal night. But that isn't necessarily true. So if you make the traditional time formal, what happens to the people who don't want to dress for formal night? They can't eat in the MDR because they can't get to their assigned table. And they can't go to the casual dining room because they would overload it.

And many people who like to dine at a time of their own choosing do like to dress up. So they end up dressed up and sitting next to someone in a track suit. (Yes, really. And I don't care if it's velour, a track suit is NOT "resort casual" or "elegant casual" or whatever HAL calls its nonformal nights)

HAL would need for zones:

traditional dining time and formal night

traditional dining time no formal night

anytime dining and formal night

anytime dining and no formal night

Just not feasible.

Oh, it's feasible. You don't need multiple zones either.

Those that don't want to dress but who select traditional dining can always go to the buffet, can't they? If they prefer open seating but like to dress up, then they need to choose traditional dining.

I know that might sound rather brusque, but no more so than dismissing those who do not like dressing up to the Lido or the specialty restaurants.

How about this idea? Alternate sailings. Ever other sailing on a particular ship to a particular itinerary has formal nights. Every other does not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruz chic

I don't like the idea of formal optional nights. I feel like a moron if I'm all dressed up and others aren't. Yes, I know I can go casual. I just wish they would go one way or the other and enforce it. Do away with it or keep it with enforcement.

Why would anyone feel like a moron because of other peoples choice not to dress up? honestly I don't really notice who is wearing what. So why not enjoy the smug satisfaction that you are superior because you like to dress "Formal" and let everyone else enjoy their cruise.

Also I saw a gentleman turned away from formal night while his entire family was already seated. I felt bad because he didn't bring a jacket he couldn't eat with his family.

Let's have HAL build additional restaurants on every ship, so "Casual Cruiser Charlie" can eat dinner in his sweat pants and crocs

I've already notified Fincantieri and they are ordering the necessary supplies as we speak.

Just because some of us don't want to wear a tux from the 1960s, a mis-matched sports jacket with pants from a thrift shop or a sparkly top with missing rhinestones - doesn't mean we are wearing sweatpants and crocs. My preference for dining attire is nice RL slacks and shirt. With a nice pair of JP Tod loafers. And my name isn't Charlie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruz chic

Why would anyone feel like a moron because of other peoples choice not to dress up? honestly I don't really notice who is wearing what. So why not enjoy the smug satisfaction that you are superior because you like to dress "Formal" and let everyone else enjoy their cruise.

Also I saw a gentleman turned away from formal night while his entire family was already seated. I felt bad because he didn't bring a jacket he couldn't eat with his family.

Why feel bad? He made his choice and so did Hal.

I just don't get the comment about feeling superior.

I'm going over to the ncl board and insist that they make a dining room only for formally dressed people. See how silly that sounds. Why not choose a cruise line that fits your wants and desires. This me...me..me attitude is a bit tiresome.

Just because some of us don't want to wear a tux from the 1960s, a mis-matched sports jacket with pants from a thrift shop or a sparkly top with missing rhinestones - doesn't mean we are wearing sweatpants and crocs. My preference for dining attire is nice RL slacks and shirt. With a nice pair of JP Tod loafers. And my name isn't Charlie.

I've never seen anyone dressed in what you describe. Could you please let us know which ships you've seen this on?

"I'm going over to the ncl board and insist that they make a dining room only for formally dressed people. See how silly that sounds. Why not choose a cruise line that fits your wants and desires. This me...me..me attitude is a bit tiresome."

The "me" attitude is more than a bit tiresome on this and a few other topics regularly re-hashed on CC boards.

I'm going over to the ncl board and insist that they make a dining room only for formally dressed people. See how silly that sounds. Why not choose a cruise line that fits your wants and desires. This me...me..me attitude is a bit tiresome.

How does that sound any sillier than insisting that HAL make a dining room only for formally dressed people several times on a cruise?

I agree the 'me...me...me attitude' of those who like to dress up is a bit tiresome.

Edited by RocketMan275

Most of the HAL ships we've been on.

I only notice in passing (....like friends saying...can you believe what she/he is wearing!.....) as we skulk through the back stair ways to the Lido/Canaletto for dinner.

What passes for "Formal" on HAL ships (and I know what "Formal" really is...) is truly astonishing.