New Thread on Dress Code Policy Preferences

kangforpres

HAL's Dress code  

288 members have voted

1. 1. HAL's Dress code

• I think HAL should continue Formal Nights.
    • I want Hal to discontinue Formal Nights.
    • I would like HAL to enforce the Dress Code it already has
    • I think HAL should get rid of the Dress Code.
    • I like things the way they are, a dress code but no enforcement.

The cruise line asks people that don't dress formally to eat in the lido. Wow, you don't get that? My cruise is not all about me. Please do everyone a favor. Get a table by yourself. No one needs to listen to that. I'm done with this thread. The me, me is tiresome. Please pick a cruiseline that fits with your wants a needs.

You are acting very snobby and off putting. In fact, downright rude. "Get a table by yourself." Are you for real? If HAL fits my needs I will pay them and I will travel and enjoy myself.

I have paid for MDR food, MDR service, and Lido closes way too early.

We have no issue going to the Lido.

But when you look at this in the cold light of day the only thing formal about formal nights in the MDR is the place setting. The rest is pretend and pretentious from the banquet food down to what passes for the food and beverage service.

Photo opportunity. Once we have a nice one we stop playing "adult prom"

You are acting very snobby and off putting. In fact, downright rude. "Get a table by yourself." Are you for real? If HAL fits my needs I will pay them and I will travel and enjoy myself.

certainly you have paid for that food and service as has everyone else.

We also agreed to follow HAL rules on board. You can't have it both ways.

Sorry.

We had 8 formal nights that got cut back by one and was still plenty one time. One night we were tired and didn't feel like dressing up so we ordered room service. As long as you order it at the right time, you can get your MDR food at the time of your choice and enjoy in your room.

HAL offers a lot of opportunities to those who choose not to dress up. It's not like the MDR is the only option.

We like eating in the MDR and follow the rules, but would love if the dress code was resort casual every night. I don't like RCI for a number of reasons, but think their new Dynamic Dining is a fantastic idea. One dining room is formal at all times and the others are resort casual (with the jacket requirement eliminated). Those that want formal can have formal and those that don't have many options for sit down dining choices. I would love HAL's new ship to take this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's like the secret handshake. It doesn't mean anything. It's like when women claim that a "sparkly top" and black pants is formal.

An extremely well taken point. I notice that the most popular response to the poll at the beginning of this thread is: "I would like HAL to enforce the Dress Code it already has." with slightly over one-third choosing that response.

I also notice that many here have requested that the men 'man-up' and adhere to the dress codes.

I am now calling for the women to 'woman-up' and ditch the sparkly tops and black pants that do not meet the dress code. Women, get out the ball gowns and cocktail dresses or dine in the Lido.

Edited by RocketMan275
spelling

Keep it up folks and the HOST will close this thread like was done the other day.

Do you think almost 400 posts (counting the post closed) is enough on this topic.

Seem to me that there are many on this board that wants to change Hal into their own private cruise line, rather then except Hal for whom they are and the rules they have. Just seems to me instead of all the complaining about dress codes they could go find a cruise line that suits them more instead of trying to remake Hal.

Wait a second! I thought that the other 1,800 people were stowaways on my private yacht. ;) I just figured that they didn't have dressy clothes because they snuck on board in a pallet of bananas.

We like eating in the MDR and follow the rules, but would love if the dress code was resort casual every night. I don't like RCI for a number of reasons, but think their new Dynamic Dining is a fantastic idea. One dining room is formal at all times and the others are resort casual (with the jacket requirement eliminated). Those that want formal can have formal and those that don't have many options for sit down dining choices. I would love HAL's new ship to take this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering what the numbers were on the RCI ship? Going by this thread they probably only have a solo couple eating in the formal dining room every evening. I'm surprised they even have an option if it's supposedly so unpopular:confused:

We have no issue going to the Lido.

But when you look at this in the cold light of day the only thing formal about formal nights in the MDR is the place setting. The rest is pretend and pretentious from the banquet food down to what passes for the food and beverage service.

what could they do to make it better?

Why take off the jacket?

I don't recall it being that warm in the MDR. DH has never complained of being too warm in a jacket, and many times I've been grateful to have a shawl to keep my shoulders warm.

I often find the dining room and the ship in general to be warm. I still keep my tuxedo jacket and tie on, though. Admittedly, I do untie my bow tie later at night. Given that people like a wide range of temperatures, not everyone will be comfortable all the time. I usually wear a jacket to dinner, and even though it's a little warm, I have managed to live through the experience. :)

An extremely well taken point. I notice that the most popular response to the poll at the beginning of this thread is: "I would like HAL to enforce the Dress Code it already has." with slightly over one-third choosing that response.

I also notice that many here have requested that the men 'man-up' and adhere to the dress codes.

I am now calling for the women to 'woman-up' and ditch the sparkly tops and black pants that do not meet the dress code. Women, get out the ball gowns and cocktail dresses or dine in the Lido.

Fine with me. I do meet the dress code. I don't think it's difficult to do.

Just a point of information--HAL says "gown" not "ball gown." Not all gowns are ball gowns. A ball gown is full-skirted (to make dancing easier) and is not the same as an evening gown, which can have a narrower profile. I've seen posts saying "OMG, I can't do formal night because I could never pack a ball gown." So, ladies, don't panic. You don't need Cinderella's gown. There are lots of simple and easy to pack evening gowns out there.

I often find the dining room and the ship in general to be warm. I still keep my tuxedo jacket and tie on, though. Admittedly, I do untie my bow tie later at night. Given that people like a wide range of temperatures, not everyone will be comfortable all the time. I usually wear a jacket to dinner, and even though it's a little warm, I have managed to live through the experience. :)

Good for you! (And I think an untied bow tie later at night is cool, not at all sloppy.)

Honestly, I don't care about it that much either way. If HAL keeps it formal I will continue to adhere to the dress code, but that doesn't mean I prefer it.

I find it amusing that various posters on this thread (and the earlier one) who have in the not-very-distant past strongly urged HAL to change its policies regarding balcony smoking, wine carry-on rules, and pricing strategies (to name a few), have admonished those of us who would like HAL to reconsider its policy on formal nights with some pretty harsh responses.

If they were responded to in the same way over the issues they obviously care about, would we ever hear the end of it? :rolleyes: Yet somehow we are beyond the pale for making our preferences known to HAL on THIS issue.

Fine with me. I do meet the dress code. I don't think it's difficult to do.

Just a point of information--HAL says "gown" not "ball gown." Not all gowns are ball gowns. A ball gown is full-skirted (to make dancing easier) and is not the same as an evening gown, which can have a narrower profile. I've seen posts saying "OMG, I can't do formal night because I could never pack a ball gown." So, ladies, don't panic. You don't need Cinderella's gown. There are lots of simple and easy to pack evening gowns out there.

Thank you for the correction. I'm really not an expert on the finer nuances of women's fashions so I do appreciate the explanation.

Would you consider sparkled tops and black slacks as 'formal attire'?

The reason I ask is that I find fascinating the number of women who lecture men on their not adhering to the dress code when they do not either.

Agree completely.

DW fails to see the difference between a sparkly top and pants on a woman and casual slacks and a collared long sleeve shirt on a gentleman. Neither seem to meet the suggested code but one is apparently frowned upon.

It is all pretend. People make up the rules to satisfy their own tastes or egos. It is a bit of a farce.

Edited by iancal

I would like to see the Pinnacle Grill dress code be smart casual all nights including formal nights. Just because one doesn't want to dress "formally", not that HAL's formal dress code anywhere approaches true formal, doesn't mean that he/she doesn't want to enjoy a fine dining meal in a nice restaurant. Surely the MDR with 2 levels can handle those who want a formal dress code on several nights of a cruise.

Lido and Canelleto are not what most would consider fine dining. If Pinnacle Grill was smart casual and that code was enforced I think it would alleviate some of the problem on formal nights. Other cruise lines have smart casual/country club casual in the alternative restaurants when the MDR is formal. HAL is so far behind the times and desperately needs at least one more upscale alternative restaurant on their ships. (Tamarind is only on 2 ships.)

Thank you for the correction. I'm really not an expert on the finer nuances of women's fashions so I do appreciate the explanation.

Would you consider sparkled tops and black slacks as 'formal attire'?

The reason I ask is that I find fascinating the number of women who lecture men on their not adhering to the dress code when they do not either.

No, I don't think slacks are formal wear for women (the exception might be a woman's tux). Sparkled tops vary, from glued-on glitter to sewn-on glass beads. (Mine are the latter, in case you're curious) Most of the sparkly tops I've seen would count as formal if worn with a long black skirt because that outfit looks like an evening gown. If you browse the shops on cruise ships, they have more formal tops and long skirts than evening gowns. It's generally considered an acceptable version of formal.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
typo

Agree. This is exactly what Celebrity does and it seems to work well. Apparently RCI and Princess do the same....we are about to find out soon.

The Lido and Caneletto are certainly not fine dining. But we no longer think that HAL's MDR is either.

Edited by iancal

Why should HAL give up formal nights? There are some people that actually want nice pictures solo, as a couple and big shots with family (all dressed up,not in Zumba gear) . They sell photos,women spend money getting hair and nails done for formal,who knows what they might spend in the jewelry shop? Why would they want to lose this money?

As for this picture taking,that I always hear is worse than having the flu.

I recently went on a Carnival cruise. When you walk to the comedy club late at night 11-midnidnight,there must be 10 backdrops to get pictures taken.

I was never pitched,asked,if I wanted my photo taken, passengers were seeking them out and there was a wait at every backdrop,even late at night.

Edited by Wakepatrol

Agree completely.

DW fails to see the difference between a sparkly top and pants on a woman and casual slacks and a collared long sleeve shirt on a gentleman. Neither seem to meet the suggested code but one is apparently frowned upon.

It is all pretend. People make up the rules to satisfy their own tastes or egos. It is a bit of a farce.

I agree with your DW. What constitutes "formal" on HAL is definitely not the definition I grew up with.:rolleyes: However, just dressing nicely is not much to ask, is it?

I think this whole debate has become a fiasco of HAL's making. How can they "suggest" that formal wear be worn throughout the ship while providing the Lido Buffet for less formality and having the spa and the gym open throughout the evening? HAL does not make it a special evening on the ship, so I'm sure many say why bother? And as we do have the option of dining informally at the Lido buffet, why on earth would anyone dress up in formal wear for that?

I guess I should have known better, I wanted to hear from people who enjoy the effort and ambience of formal night and wish HAL would enforce it's dress code. Instead it grew into a full on debate about personal liberty and demanding equal treatment no matter how you dress, also harsh remarks about the MDR experience which I've always enjoyed.

HAL's dress code is a suggestion that guests are ask to abide by, obviously the suggestion is not accepted by many weather it be on formal night or even smart casual since jeans and non-colored shirts are allowed in the MDR at dinner (I've noticed this and many others have reported)

So in the end we are just left with ourselves debating the end of civilization in it's various forms, at least the end can either be enjoyed in your bathrobe, skinny jeans and t-shirt, Tuxedo, dark suit and tie, cocktail dress or gown.

Happy Labor(Labour) day everyone!

-Paul