New Thread on Dress Code Policy Preferences

kangforpres

HAL's Dress code  

288 members have voted

1. 1. HAL's Dress code

• I think HAL should continue Formal Nights.
    • I want Hal to discontinue Formal Nights.
    • I would like HAL to enforce the Dress Code it already has
    • I think HAL should get rid of the Dress Code.
    • I like things the way they are, a dress code but no enforcement.

I don't really get this which is being promoted as a possible "third way" about formal night and advocated by a few people. It seems to me we already have "optional formal night" on HAL because lots of passengers opt-out of formal night and still enjoy the Lido or room service or Dive-in.

I also use to be perturbed by people who opt-out of formal night and then show up in the theater or piano bar in their PJ's. But then I decided maybe they have a medical condition tha prevents them wearing acceptable clothing in a public setting and tried not to judge them.

-Paul

I was guilty of the same thing. I used to think passengers wearing their robes in the Lido had escaped from a loony bin

Why not add a new dining venue like the PG but with a strictly formal dress code. Morning dress at breakfast an lunch, white tie for evenings. Every day not just two nights of the week. Call it "The Stuffed Shirt.":rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for me, the choices above are not mutually exclusive. I want to keep formal nights AND I want the dress code enforced.

Me, too! I hoped to be able to vote for both but it wouldn't let me. I ended up voting for the enforcement. No point in having a dress code and not enforcing it.

I don't like the idea of formal optional nights. I feel like a moron if I'm all dressed up and others aren't. Yes, I know I can go casual. I just wish they would go one way or the other and enforce it. Do away with it or keep it with enforcement.

I'm with you cruz chic.

We have been sailing on ships that are resort casual in the evening and that works out just fine. It may be that the price point of these cruises are such that the T-shirt, jeans and flip-flop crowd is priced out.

I think "formal nights" are ridiculous. We are living in a much more casual society. I think if you want to go "formal" fine, but don't make the rest of us do it.

Haven't sailed HAL in forever and am only taking this cruise because of timing and itinerary and am beginning to regret it already.

I wanted to vote for two of the options. I want to keep the formal nights, and I wish HAL would enforce the dress code they have.

I've always that Shmoo was one of the smartest posters on CC.

As for some of you who say you don't care, why would you bother to post something to tell us you don't care? If I don't care about something I don't bother to comment on it.

No one is making anyone dress formal. I don't understand. I've never seen anyone forced into dressing formal:confused:.

Save your breath Cruz Chic, it's not worth the trouble to explain that no one is forced to do anything on a HAL ship they don't want to do.

-Paul

As for some of you who say you don't care, why would you bother to post something to tell us you don't care? If I don't care about something I don't bother to comment on it.

I think it's sometimes worthwhile recognizing that there are many people who don't hold strong views on the subject. I'm quite happy with formal nights, but wouldn't be upset if all nights were resort casual. It's less a question of not caring than it is of being capable of enjoying myself in varying environments.

I was guilty of the same thing. I used to think passengers wearing their robes in the Lido had escaped from a loony bin

I'm not 100% familiar with Canadian money, but isn't the "Loonie Bin" the drawer under a cash register? ;)

I'm not 100% familiar with Canadian money, but isn't the "Loonie Bin" the drawer under a cash register? ;)

Nice try POA1 - we did away with pennies in Canada - so it is nickels, dimes, quarters, and Loonies. Coins all moved one to the left, then we added, and wait for it - Toonies! Our coins are still in the "Top Drawer".

The Mint is contemplating removal of the $5 dollar bill - can't wait to see what that will be called and these may be bottom drawer.

Of course if you figure in the exchange rate these days, all our money is in the xxxx bin!!!!

If they had a Formal only deck,with restaurants and entertainment.

If they ever decided to have different special "FOODS" for these occasions

that the rest of the ship wasn't getting.

It would take all of 2 seconds for a lot of the casual group to somehow come up with a jacket.

Edited by Wakepatrol

I was thinking of booking a cruise so my only concern was the dress code on these ships.

I have sailed mainly NCL and they have formal nights and you can dress up if you like and if you do not, then you don't!!

I think the people who love to dress have the right to do so, they enjoy that part of the cruising scene, like Titanic!

I like to get dressed up (no dresses though!!) but my husband does not.

On NCL, as with most cruise lines (I assume), they have two MDR.

My question is why not have the second dining room be cruise casual and the first dining room be for formal only?

I really do not care what other people wear, they paid good money to come on a cruise and they wear what they want..

janymac:p

Something that pops to mind when reading this thread is the interpretation of cruise casual for those who prefer that style in the MDR. I have no issue with the current dress code, nor do my family. We, in fact, enjoy dressing for dinner as it signifies to us that it is a special occasion. Our family is pretty stretched during our daily lives at home. We relish our meals togher on HAL. We personally don't care what others chose to wear. But if what we see during breakfast and lunch in the Lido is a representation of what people will wear in the dining room for dinner, I hope HAL continues to have its dress code.

Something that pops to mind when reading this thread is the interpretation of cruise casual for those who prefer that style in the MDR. I have no issue with the current dress code, nor do my family. We, in fact, enjoy dressing for dinner as it signifies to us that it is a special occasion. Our family is pretty stretched during our daily lives at home. We relish our meals togher on HAL. We personally don't care what others chose to wear. But if what we see during breakfast and lunch in the Lido is a representation of what people will wear in the dining room for dinner, I hope HAL continues to have its dress code.

You nailed it

I think it's sometimes worthwhile recognizing that there are many people who don't hold strong views on the subject. I'm quite happy with formal nights, but wouldn't be upset if all nights were resort casual. It's less a question of not caring than it is of being capable of enjoying myself in varying environments.

Those are my thoughts as well. :)

LuLu