Le Club Voyage Thumbs up or down

uktog

I read the postings. Most people who respond are not happy with the changes. I am also not thrilled. I liked the free internet minutes and laundry. The value of these perks ito Azamara is not much. Would most people change cruises because if the changes? Some many..most won't if they are already booked. The true measure will be in future bookings after the changes. If you are considering 2 similar cruises, the deciding factor may be those free internet minutes. Oceania and other lines now includes free unlimited internet on many of their cruises. For those who like the size of the Azamara ships, there are several good options. Azamara has had high booking rates recently. If they continue to sell well, they will continue to disregard loyalty perks in favor of increasing revenue. As a business model, they will make more money. The true test is future sales. Would you book on Azamara if there were no loyalty perks? Are we looking at the end kf Azamara? As perks end and prices soar, loyal cruisers may not be loyal. Looking at other vacation options? You are not alone.

If these boards are only partially representative of the sentiment of Azamara cruisers, there is no question that this marketing ploy is a dismal failure. All that remains to be seen is 1) whether it translates to significant passenger loss; and 2) whether the line can survive by alienating its most loyal passengers, eliminating loyalty benefits so as to deter cruisers from other lines from migrating over, having a dismal shore side center in Guatemala, eliminating months of itinerary time with charters, not refurbishing their ships substantially, not building any new ships when other lines are doing so.

I just do not understand why a brand with so much promise has made so many ghastly errors. Truly incomprehensible.

I think that most first time Azamara cruisers will not look at the loyalty program. I think that they will book their first cruise on Azamara with out even thinking about the loyalty benefits. If the are repeat PAX from the RCCL group then they might look at it. It is the returning Azamara PAX that is doing the looking into the program. Maybe Azamara thinks that they can keep pulling in enough first timers ( who at that time don't know about the program)to fill their old ships and not care if people come back.

I think that most first time Azamara cruisers will not look at the loyalty program. I think that they will book their first cruise on Azamara with out even thinking about the loyalty benefits. If the are repeat PAX from the RCCL group then they might look at it. It is the returning Azamara PAX that is doing the looking into the program. Maybe Azamara thinks that they can keep pulling in enough first timers ( who at that time don't know about the program)to fill their old ships and not care if people come back.

As a previous poster said, they expect people to carry on booking and you know, they are probably right because most will not even realise that things have changed until, after they book, pay deposit (big hit for europeans) manage to get online, then they will find out... too late.

Yvonne

I was a first time Azamara cruiser this past June on a B2B and knew nothing of the loyalty perks when I booked. I enjoyed the cruise so much I booked another on board. I no sooner got home and two things happened. One, there was a new promotion that far outweighed the on board savings and then Azamara cancelled my bookings since they chartered out the ship but never notified my TA. We had to actually approach them to see what was going on and when our deposits would be returned. I would NEVER consider another Azamara cruise unless it was within a 6 months sailing frame and had a GREAT promotion. It just isn't worth the risk of Azamara cancelling cruises and now perks. Azamara isn't such a great deal that you can't find another cruise for a similar amount of money. It really is too bad since we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise.

As a previous poster said, they expect people to carry on booking and you know, they are probably right because most will not even realise that things have changed until, after they book, pay deposit (big hit for europeans) manage to get online, then they will find out... too late.

Yvonne

You are right. They will find out after it is too late.

Thanks Phil. Brenda and I were on the back to back out of Mumbai with you last Spring. The more I read the more L'ivid I get. Such a small amount in the scheme of things, yet AZ is willing to risk millions on L'ost bookings. Someone needs to go to L'Woodshed.

I was a first time Azamara cruiser this past June on a B2B and knew nothing of the loyalty perks when I booked. I enjoyed the cruise so much I booked another on board. I no sooner got home and two things happened. One, there was a new promotion that far outweighed the on board savings and then Azamara cancelled my bookings since they chartered out the ship but never notified my TA. We had to actually approach them to see what was going on and when our deposits would be returned. I would NEVER consider another Azamara cruise unless it was within a 6 months sailing frame and had a GREAT promotion. It just isn't worth the risk of Azamara cancelling cruises and now perks. Azamara isn't such a great deal that you can't find another cruise for a similar amount of money. It really is too bad since we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise.

Unlike you, before I booked my first Azamara cruise I knew all about the loyalty perks from being Celebrity elite. Those benefits were a factor in my choosing Azamara over Oceania for a nearly identical itinerary. I liked the Azamara itinerary slightly better and I wasn't worried about losing my O perks as I was getting the LCV perks. It was certainly a factor for us.

Like you, I really enjoyed my Azamara cruise, found it compared favorably with Oceania (some things better, some things not as good) and booked 3 additional cruises. I love having choices. Also like you, I agree -- we have other options but it is too bad.

I didn't think even Azamara could do something this stupid. If you think the laundry room is a zoo now...

Maybe the next step is coin-operated washer-dryers.:rolleyes:

I didn't think even Azamara could do something this stupid. If you think the laundry room is a zoo now...

Maybe the next step is coin-operated washer-dryers.:rolleyes:

Which is what they were when Azamara was launched.

Seriously, a question for my fellow CC members.

Why would Azamara alienate their strongest customer base?

It seems to be what they do best - We sailed twice on Azamara in the early days of the line. Although our 16 day PC transit on Journey was a bit of a disappointment, our 14 night Best of Italy on Quest still ranks in my top 2, only behind the Galapagos on Xpedition. Azamara was still under the Celebrity umbrella, so our faux Elite status got us some laundry and internet. When they became their own little boutique line and traded out some fabulous itineraries for a bunch of 7-nighters and decided to chase the 40-somethings who make at least $300,000 per year, we opted out. Now they are returning to a bare-bones loyalty program (actually it's worse than before), but I don't reckon that they will be lowering their prices any time soon.

So I give it a thumbs down and am glad that we booked Celebrity at 1/3 of the cost for an Asia cruise in 2016. It's not quite as compelling an itinerary, but that kind of money buys a lot of salve.

We cruise on Azamara because we love it! We love the ambience, the staff, the food, the entertainment, the inclusive wines which are generally very good and I say this as a wine collector.The gratuities,bottled water,beer,coffee,cocktails etc. are also included and I can honestly say from experience it's quite easy to spend US$100 a day on all of the above on other cruise lines. We don't go on Azamara for the free internet or the occasional small bag of free laundry.When I think of the hundreds of dollars or more we all spend getting to wherever the ship is leaving from, the free internet and laundry don't matter a hill of beans.

I agree it's all penny pinching stuff produced by people who have reached their level of incompetence and have delusions of adequacy but let's remember why we cruise on Azamara. We love it! I'm only angry for the wonderful staff on board who will be subjected to complaints by the usual wingers.

Scotpom

I have done a bit of research around the changes to LCV using Paco Underhill (king of shopping and purchasing psychology) books.

Whilst I admit it is all subjective and can be interpreted various ways, it is still thought provoking.

Let me quote

"Over a five year period the percentage of customers who will stop using your business because of the quality of the product or its price is, 14%"

'Over the same period the percentage that will defect because they don't like the way they are being treated (think LCV) is 67%"

Wine tasting on the ship is not an essential because wine is freely available but communication is important to me. The free internet was an important plus point when booking our last trip on the Journey and although we have already booked a cruise in 2016 with Azamara I doubt if we will be cruising with them again if this decision is not reversed

I returned from my 10th Azamara cruise on Tuesday. As usual it was excellent.

At the LCV cocktail party the hostess commented on the huge numbers of repeaters on our voyage and how valued we were.

The new benefits were not outlined in any detail. We were just told about the great enhancements.

They must think we are as insane as they are. They are demonstrating completely the opposite with this announcement.

It is a pity that our continued loyalty is so unappreciated and I am sorry to say that I have found Azamara Joel's posts to be fatuous and insulting.

I can no longer take this company seriously. Their land side operation is a shambles, the Guatamala call centre a complete joke and their website is almost impossible to navigate.

Do they have a clue where they are going as a company? As a marketing professional I struggle to understand their strategy.

The onboard team remain very special but I don't think it's enough any more. After my November cruise it's time for me to consider other options.

Totally agree with you 'Spursgirl' and the majority of posts. My wife and I are fairly newcomers to cruising, in the past two years we have sailed three times with Azamara with a b2b on 'Journey' starting this Saturday from Barcelona but after that we are voting with our feet. I have instructed out TA to cancel two forthcoming booked cruises for next year with a full refund based on the changes to the loyalty programme. It's a real shame because we thought we had found our 'niche' in the cruising world having loved every minute with Azamara but now I find it hard to trust them and when that happens it's time to move on....maybe to Oceania.

We cruise on Azamara because we love it! We love the ambience, the staff, the food, the entertainment, the inclusive wines which are generally very good and I say this as a wine collector.The gratuities,bottled water,beer,coffee,cocktails etc. are also included and I can honestly say from experience it's quite easy to spend US$100 a day on all of the above on other cruise lines. We don't go on Azamara for the free internet or the occasional small bag of free laundry.When I think of the hundreds of dollars or more we all spend getting to wherever the ship is leaving from, the free internet and laundry don't matter a hill of beans.

I agree it's all penny pinching stuff produced by people who have reached their level of incompetence and have delusions of adequacy but let's remember why we cruise on Azamara. We love it! I'm only angry for the wonderful staff on board who will be subjected to complaints by the usual wingers.

Scotpom

I couldn't have said it better myself Scotpom. Yes the revamp of the Loyalty programme is a complete disaster .....no arguments here, particularly with regard to the Internet minutes for me, as I need to work while on the ship, but I still cruise for the on board experience and all I can say is that is still unbeatable by any other cruise line in my opinion.

We got back from a wonderful Quest cruise a few days ago and we were made to feel very special and valued guests indeed. The pre cruise poor experience does not greatly impact on that for me. Yes it is irritating and dealing with Guatemala is simply infuriating but once on board everything minor just melts away. I will still continue to cruise Azamara because I love it......but I will be using free WiFi hotspots in the port and not buying an internet package at all.....because it is a principle now. I really hope that Azamara management do a major rethink on the Loyalty programme. It doesn't work for anyone and seems to be generating so many negative threads and posts.

Azamara has or had a good product. Who is the idiot that wants to change it?

I don't know and don't care what the perks are, but it looks like they have displeased some of the good cruisers.

PAST CRUISES: 1.Stella Oceanis 1975 South America, 2. Stella Oceanus

1977 Black Sea and Crimean Peninsula. 3. Mermoz 1979 Med. Rome,Sicily,and Nice,Malta. 4. SS Freeport to Gulf Mexico. 5.Vistafjord to Caribbean 1981. 6. Sagafjord to Alaska 1983. 7. Stella Solaris to Aegean, Israel and Egypt 1984. 8. Mississippi Queen out of New Orleans. 9. Nantucket Clipper out of Boston 10. Fairsky to Caribbean 1987. 11. Royal Odyssey Med.& Dubrovnik 9/1988. 12. Carnivalle to Bahamas 1990. 13. Crown Odyssey to Eastern South America 1991. 14.Monarch of the Seas Eastern Caribbean 1995. 15 Royal Odyssey (Old Royal Viking Sea) Panama Canal 1995. 16 Egypt-Nile River Cruise 1996.

17. Splendour of the Seas- Fjords of Norway 1997. 18 Sun Viking –Orient Cruise 1997.

19. Renaissance R-4 Barcelona-Lisbon 1999. 20. Paradise- Caribbean 1999.

21. Millennium to Baltic Capitals 2000. 22. Summit to Caribbean 2001.

23. Constellation –Fjords of Norway 2002. 24.Horizon –Mexico 2003. 25. Infinity to Alaska 2003. 26. Holiday to Mexico 2003. 27. Infinity -South America Cape Horn 2004. 28. Constellation- Transatlantic 2004. 29.Legend of Seas- Western Caribbean 2005 out of L.A.

30. Millennium- Panama Canal 2006. 31. Rhapsody of Seas- Western Caribbean 2006 out of Galveston. 32. Constellation- New England/Canada 2006. 33.Millennium-Caribbean 2007. 34.Voyager of the Seas- Caribbean out of Galveston Jan 2008 35.Mercury- South Pacific 2007. 36. Mariner of Seas-Mexican Riviera 2/09. 37. Summit to Southern Caribbean. 4/09. 38. Amadeus Symphony- Rhine River Basel-Amsterdam 6/09 combined with Switzerland Trip.

39.Antarctica on Prof. Multanovskiy 2009 40.Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston Jan 2010

41. Silver Whisper New York to Bermuda October 2010. 42.Silver Shadow Seoul Korea to Anchorage,AK May 2011

43. Silver Cloud Fort Lauderdale to San Juan Jan 2012

44. Millennium Gems of Southeast Asia January 2013

45 AZAMARA QUEST JAN 2014 CENTRAL AMERICA

I can't say that we didn't expect your comments to this loyalty program change. As mentioned on the separate thread we opened, it wasn’t an easy decision to replace some benefits, but we believe it’s the right long-term decision for our guests and our brand. The one thing that we want to emphasize is that we do value our guests - and always look at providing our loyal guests with great value. While it is understandable that some will not like the changes, you will find a comparison below in terms of the value the new programs provides versus the old program...

Le Club Voyage Program Value Nov. 23, 2013 - Dec. 31, 2014

Adventurer Lowest Highest

Passages (200-600) $200.00 $600.00

free internet (85 min) $47.95 $47.95

spa savings (10%; $119/$495) $11.90 $49.50

TOTAL $259.85 $ 697.45

Explorer Lowest Highest

free internet (150 min) $79.95 $79.95

spa savings (15%) $17.85 $74.25

laundry $50.00 $50.00

TOTAL $347.80 $804.20

Discoverer and above Lowest Highest

free internet (235 min) $99.95 $99.95

spa savings (20%) $23.80 $99.00

laundry $50.00 $50.00

$50 or $200 for gift shop savings $50.00 $200.00

TOTAL $423.75 $1,048.95

Le Club Voyage Program Average Member Value as of voyages departing

Jan. 1, 2015

Adventurer Lowest Highest

10% savings $364.20 $984.10

$199 upgrade $493.00 $493.00

0 Earned Comp. Nights $- $-

Passages (3% + $200 OBC) $109.26 $495.23

internet savings (30%) $2.99 $29.99

spa savings (10%; $119/$495) $11.90 $49.50

$50 or $200 for gift shop savings $- $-

TOTAL $981.35 $2,051.82

Explorer Lowest Highest

2 Earned Comp. Nights $850.00 $850.00

Passages (4% + $200 OBC) $145.68 $593.64

internet savings (35%) $3.48 $34.98

spa savings (15%; $119/$495) $17.85 $74.25

$50 or $200 for gift shop savings $- $-

TOTAL $1,874.21 $3,029.97

Discoverer Lowest Highest

4 Earned Comp. Nights $1,700.00 $1,700.00

Passages (5% + $200 OBC) $182.10 $692.05

internet savings (40%) $3.98 $39.98

spa savings (20%; $119/$495) $23.80 $99.00

TOTAL $2,817.08 $4,208.13

Discoverer Plus Lowest Highest

6 Earned Comp. Nights $2,550.00 $2,550.00

Passages (7% + $200 OBC) $254.94 $888.87

internet savings (45%) $4.48 $44.98

spa savings (25%; $119/$495) $29.75 $123.75

TOTAL $3,746.37 $5,284.70

Discoverer Platinum Lowest Highest

10 Earned Comp. Nights $4,250.00 $4,250.00

Passages (10% + $200 OBC) $364.20 $1,184.10

internet savings (50%) $4.98 $49.98

spa savings (25%; $119/$495) $29.75 $123.75

TOTAL $5,556.13 $7,284.93

Hi Joel,

We are your Interline Guests, you know, the ones that fill up your ship at the Last Minute, and your prices are Really not that much cheaper and we are Very dissapointed that we will no longer get points for our nights, we had planned to do your 16 day TA in April but now will look at Celebrity as we will feel more Welcome! We have taken a few cruises on your line and I Always encourage my colleauges and friends to cruise on your line because we Really like the small ships of Azamara...But now that we will Not get Any points ( we are Explorer and Very close to Discoverer ) and liked that we were Platnium on our cruise 2 weeks ago on RCCL we will NO longer promote your cruiseline! Oh and it Ws nice to get the free internet and Laundry and, yes the free bottle of bubbly Compliments of the Captain! During the first cruise we took with you Mr Pimenthal was on the cruise, I said that Azamara Club Cruises Really does Not know what it wants to be!

Celebrity Welcomes there Interline Guests!

Hi Joel,

We are your Interline Guests, you know, the ones that fill up your ship at the Last Minute, and your prices are Really not that much cheaper and we are Very dissapointed that we will no longer get points for our nights, we had planned to do your 16 day TA in April but now will look at Celebrity as we will feel more Welcome! We have taken a few cruises on your line and I Always encourage my colleauges and friends to cruise on your line because we Really like the small ships of Azamara...But now that we will Not get Any points ( we are Explorer and Very close to Discoverer ) and liked that we were Platnium on our cruise 2 weeks ago on RCCL we will NO longer promote your cruiseline! Oh and it Ws nice to get the free internet and Laundry and, yes the free bottle of bubbly Compliments of the Captain! During the first cruise we took with you Mr Pimenthal was on the cruise, I said that Azamara Club Cruises Really does Not know what it wants to be!

Celebrity Welcomes there Interline Guests!

I don't understand. I read years ago that Interline guests did not get the return passenger perks such as the sparkling wine, free internet and laundry.

Edited by Jade13