Cheers Gratuities

gt14

From what I am hearing from this post is that everyone tips extra for drinks. We are planning on ordering the cheers for the first time this October and we have never tipped extra for drinks as I always felt the extra 15% was for that. Should we feel guilty for not tipping as we are already adding 15% for our cheers package. It seems everyone has an extra abundance of cash to tip. We have to budget and be very careful. My real question is "is it really wrong and terrible not to tip".

I wish I made that a day. I would be happy with that.:)

As mentioned above the job is open to American citizens too. The hourly pay was calculated using an 8 hour shift.

On the ship though you'll have to work 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week though. :-)

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

What?

Let's assume 1. you purchased the Cheers package, 2. you are on a 7-day cruise, and 3. you love classic cocktails.

With the Cheers Package, you are paying $37.50 + $5.63 (15% gratuity) per day. With classic cocktails, the break-even amount is between 4-5 drinks. You bartender/server receives $5.63 in gratuities per day, whether you drink 1 or 15 drinks, unless you tip additional. So that is why it is suggested that when you are under the Cheers! package, you give an additional tip your bartender/server after your "break-even" number.

We're on the Legend and purchased the cheers programme for $37.50 but the paperwork said there were no gratuities included. We're adding the $1.00 per drink and it seems to be very appreciated, but it seems a lot of people are not. If Carnival have taken the tips off they are really screwing their crew.

We're on the Legend and purchased the cheers programme for $37.50 but the paperwork said there were no gratuities included. We're adding the $1.00 per drink and it seems to be very appreciated, but it seems a lot of people are not. If Carnival have taken the tips off they are really screwing their crew.

Great! Can't wait to hear your review of the new pricing when you get back. Sounds almost too good to be true!

Was almost 100% positive gratuity is included in that price? Might be worth quizzing guest services; if for no other reason then to NOT think CCL is "screwing their crew".

Have an amazing adventure & give the lovely bride a hug from your jealous TN pals!:D

K & R

Wow, this is new, on the carnival website it says the price is 37.50 plus 15% gratuity. I wonder why you were not charged the 15%. Since you were not charged the gratuity then I think it certainly is appropriate you tip per drink. However, I think that carnival needs to visit the program since they are saying the charge is 37.50 plus gratuity, but they are not charging people the gratuity. I have done the cheers program 3 times, and every time I was charged the 15%. I guess they must have changed the program again and not included the tip any longer. They need to changed the website info again I guess.

Just got back from 8 night on the liberty. Purchased cheers package on embarkation day. Cost 300$ plus 15% gratuity. Total for 2 was 690$

Of course tipped with dollar bills to bartenders/servers

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

From what I am hearing from this post is that everyone tips extra for drinks. We are planning on ordering the cheers for the first time this October and we have never tipped extra for drinks as I always felt the extra 15% was for that. Should we feel guilty for not tipping as we are already adding 15% for our cheers package. It seems everyone has an extra abundance of cash to tip. We have to budget and be very careful. My real question is "is it really wrong and terrible not to tip".

Nope, not everyone. I have rarely tipped above the 15% included tip and have never had a problem getting a drink. I don't really care what others are doing.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

Not on the package itself, but any drinks you have will have taxes added to them. Once you get in open waters that will drop off. At least that's how it worked in Port Canaveral.

That is correct. Tax is charged on drinks ordered, not on the package. Also same tax added if you are not on the cheers program. Tax on any drink ordered whether cheers or purchased individually

I spent an extra $2-3 per day over 8 days to tip the servers/bartenders who were waiting on us a lot. For about $20 extra we had drinks waiting for us at bars and servers who would bee line for us on deck, MDR and in shows, got a few "samples" and overlooked an extra drink that exceeded my husbands daily limit one night. It was well worth it. We were never snubbed on the majority of drinks that I didn't add an extra tip to or treated any differently. It was an 8 day cruise at the end of October on the Legend and we never left the ship in ports so we spent a lot of time talking to the bartenders and waiters too.

This was our experience, $20 to the bartender got us "Buckets" of Miller Lite and plentiful vodka in the Bloody Mary's. In fact when Miller Lite was in short supply towards the end of the cruise our bartender went to the other bars and scooped it it up for us :D

This was our experience, $20 to the bartender got us "Buckets" of Miller Lite and plentiful vodka in the Bloody Mary's. In fact when Miller Lite was in short supply towards the end of the cruise our bartender went to the other bars and scooped it it up for us :D

$20 to one bartender or spilt among just about every bartender that served you?

I think if you were purchasing drinks by itself, then you shouldn't feel bad not tipping because the tip is included and based on the purchase price. You are already tipping, no need to tip more unless you feel the person serving you did something outstanding, or you really like your server.

However, getting the cheers package, even with tip added to the package, there's a bit of a gray area.

In this instance, if you're paying $5.60 in a static daily tip. This covers up to 15 drinks. Now, if you got 10 drinks, you are in essence, tipping 56 cents per drink. If you got the full 15 drinks, you would be tipping a measly 37 cents per drink. This is not including the soda you would get as unlimited as part of the package. A 36 cent overage, is less than what we would pay for tax on a $5.00 drink. At this point, I think the system favors the cheers recipient.

I would like to add a corollary here. If you went to a normal restaurant. You went with a coupon that gave you 50% off your entire meal. How much do you tip? Normal priced food, or what you actually paid?

I think the same could be said here that if you're on the cheer's package, not tipping can be seen as short changing your waitstaff.

Here's another grey area. At what point do should you start tipping? If at only 5 drinks you are giving the "appropriate tip", but start making it up as you get more drinks, then are you short changing your waitstaff in the morning?

Whoa, thats just too much figuring for my on-vacation 53 years old brain. I plan on buy cheers because of the drop in price. DH drinks mainly beer. He may get close to the 15, but port days probably not so much. I drink foo foo drinks but I'm guessing I may average 8 a day. I'm not planning to tip extra. I'm not one to go to GS and remove tips, and usually leave an extra few $ in our room. Always use ATD so always have different servers so no extra tips. I just can't justify how giving an extra $1 per drink is appropriate. If they serve 50 drinks an hour that's an additional $50 over their wages and the tips already paid. Sorry, I'm just not having it.

I think if you were purchasing drinks by itself, then you shouldn't feel bad not tipping because the tip is included and based on the purchase price. You are already tipping, no need to tip more unless you feel the person serving you did something outstanding, or you really like your server.

However, getting the cheers package, even with tip added to the package, there's a bit of a gray area.

In this instance, if you're paying $5.60 in a static daily tip. This covers up to 15 drinks. Now, if you got 10 drinks, you are in essence, tipping 56 cents per drink. If you got the full 15 drinks, you would be tipping a measly 37 cents per drink. This is not including the soda you would get as unlimited as part of the package. A 36 cent overage, is less than what we would pay for tax on a $5.00 drink. At this point, I think the system favors the cheers recipient.

I would like to add a corollary here. If you went to a normal restaurant. You went with a coupon that gave you 50% off your entire meal. How much do you tip? Normal priced food, or what you actually paid?

I think the same could be said here that if you're on the cheer's package, not tipping can be seen as short changing your waitstaff.

Here's another grey area. At what point do should you start tipping? If at only 5 drinks you are giving the "appropriate tip", but start making it up as you get more drinks, then are you short changing your waitstaff in the morning?

When using a discount or coupon, you really ought to tip on the full price, BUT, BUT... Carnival has decided to go ahead and add in a 15% tip based upon the purchase price. At least that is what they say, someone posted earlier that a tip was not added.

So, Carnival has decided that an automatic 15% tip added to the purchase price is an acceptable tip. If you wish to add to that, that is your right. It is also your right not to add to it as Carnival has done it for you. The servers and bartenders will serve you either way, although I suspect the service and drinks will be better if you tip more. Just human nature.

I also would be curious how many people actually do what they say they do on here. It is real easy to post that I tip a certain way, but quite another to walk the walk. At the end of the day, I really don't care. They aren't spending my money or paying my bills.

About half of my cruises I have purchased a beverage package on Carnival & RCL. Now that the price decreased quite a bit it's a no brainer for me. My next cruise is this Saturday, and of course purchase the package (I get my money worth). As for an additional tip, I'm guilty. I have noticed that by tipping a bit extra, I'm not waiting for my next drink (Keep in mind I'm at the bar enjoying the band). So I appreciate that effort by the staff. I also have a soft spot for these hard working individuals working 10-12 hours days, seven days a week so they can support their families, who are most likely back home!

Edited by Luke104

I just got back from the Breeze, and they added in gratuities to the Cheers purchase price. I have also been told that the tips on the package are prorated by the # of Cheers drinks they sell. But i haven't asked anyone lately.

I do tip an extra $1 or so. Sometimes more depending on the service. I give it when I pay, i do know some who put $ with their card, and plenty who don't tip extra. Tips are at your discretion, right?

As for the receipts, they look at them to make sure they are signed, and to check for an additional tip, they have to separate them to ring in the tip. I don't think they expect them, but being human do hope!

I spent an extra $2-3 per day over 8 days to tip the servers/bartenders who were waiting on us a lot. For about $20 extra we had drinks waiting for us at bars and servers who would bee line for us on deck, MDR and in shows, got a few "samples" and overlooked an extra drink that exceeded my husbands daily limit one night. It was well worth it. We were never snubbed on the majority of drinks that I didn't add an extra tip to or treated any differently. It was an 8 day cruise at the end of October on the Legend and we never left the ship in ports so we spent a lot of time talking to the bartenders and waiters too.

We always do the same & it has worked well for us, too, in terms of service. We always say we go on "Cheers" cruises, because 'everybody knows our name', :D.