NCL Reports It Has Agreed to Purchase PCH

rallydave

We decided to go in their first O World cruise because their passengers trust their management and like quality of their product; we have never sailed with O but have the most wonderful memories from the now extinct Renaissance cruises. After hearing the news about the merger, I am not sure that we would had booked the World Cruise if we knew that before doing it. I would appreciate very much hearing from Frank Del Rio to tell us what to expect from the merger. It is not that much to ask.

While I appreciate that most of us have been burned by business mergers that were announced as "improvements," in this case I feel pretty confident.

I trust Frank Del Rio. He's proven time and again to be the savviest cruise ship executive in the industry. In the unlikely event Oceania and Regent become shadows of their former selves, Frank and his team could always start another cruise line. But my money is on them making this work.

If NCL gets rids of FDR, then I would have some concerns...

I think we can all agree that we both like and trust FDR and that he would not diminish the product if he can help it.

My concern, expressed elsewhere , is how much say he will have under the new leadership. If he is allowed continue to be "independent" and his budget is not restricted by the bean counters, then both Oceania & Regent should be fine.

However, if the bean counters at NCL have final says, then that may be a different matter (those endless lobster tails in the Terrace Café are not cheap).

I am more worried about the long run situation - we'll see.

From the Captains to the laundry people, there seems to be a stability & competence in the crew working for Oceania & Regent.

Such things as terms of employment, personnel policies, work load, all factor in for employees; especially at the point where they interface with the passengers and their knowledge & pride in their jobs, efforts. Good Captains & staff captains can take their people skills & abilities to make good decisions in emergency situations (Concordia's captains, anyone?) elsewhere, if they are not supported and appreciated by management.

In addition to the food budget, we would hope the maintenance mechanics, and marine skills are maintained, and we sail on "happy ships".

-------------------------

Another trend Oceania has given passengers is the inclusive dining policies, but NOT bundling that into a forced package that includes liquor as Chrystal, etc & now Azumara have. We are not opposed to alcohol, but limit ourselves due to moderation and medical reasons. We do not want to pay for others overindulgence. We like the choice.

We have a significant anniversary coming up, and were planning to take an Oceania cruise in the next year or two.

Mr Del Rio & his team are an asset which cannot be forgotten by any Boards and shareholders. Hope NCL has not taken on too much debt that it pressures them to cut, cut, cut.

We will be watching and hoping for the best, for pax & crew.

From the Captains to the laundry people, there seems to be a stability & competence in the crew working for Oceania & Regent.

Such things as terms of employment, personnel policies, work load, all factor in for employees; especially at the point where they interface with the passengers and their knowledge & pride in their jobs, efforts. Good Captains & staff captains can take their people skills & abilities to make good decisions in emergency situations (Concordia's captains, anyone?) elsewhere, if they are not supported and appreciated by management.

In addition to the food budget, we would hope the maintenance mechanics, and marine skills are maintained, and we sail on "happy ships".

-------------------------

Another trend Oceania has given passengers is the inclusive dining policies, but NOT bundling that into a forced package that includes liquor as Chrystal, etc & now Azumara have. We are not opposed to alcohol, but limit ourselves due to moderation and medical reasons. We do not want to pay for others overindulgence. We like the choice.

We have a significant anniversary coming up, and were planning to take an Oceania cruise in the next year or two.

Mr Del Rio & his team are an asset which cannot be forgotten by any Boards and shareholders. Hope NCL has not taken on too much debt that it pressures them to cut, cut, cut.

We will be watching and hoping for the best, for pax & crew.

So well said. Bravo! :D

Sorry but there is a huge number of Regent/Radisson cruisers who disagree. There is actually a long winded post elsewhere just discussing the changes and most of the cruisers are not here because they no longer sail on Regent. The prices have gone up and the value is not there. I like Oceania's product but we are now opting to do other kinds of travel where at one time we planned Regent cruises almost exclusively.

While I know that I disagree with your post, in terms of the "huge number of Regent/Radisson cruises who disagree". I do not understand one sentence. "........... most of the cruisers are not here because they no longer sail on Regent". What does that mean? IMO, most Oceania cruises are there because they like Oceania. If that is what you mean, I agree. From what I have seen, most Regent cruisers that no longer sail on Regent are on other luxury lines (unless they need to find a less expensive cruise line).

It is kind of hard to make a case that Regent is not better off now than they were six years ago when the Navigator was going dead in the water and listing way too often. The sheets were threadbare and the ships had not been refurbished in way too long. Yes -- the service was better because the ships were sailing half full (this is a fact). Regent ships are running so full that our November, 2015 has been full for quite some time. Not sure what your "facts" are based on.

From what I have seen, most Regent cruisers that no longer sail on Regent are on other luxury lines (unless they need to find a less expensive cruise line).

The Regent Passengers who jumped ship because they were unhappy that Regent had not had a new ship in far too long may have gone to other Lines, but the majority that we saw here on the Oceania Board were looking for a less expensive, and (their words) less stuffy alternative to Regent.

Regent may be better off today than it was six years ago, but so is the entire economy. Here in NYC the best restaurants and theater tickets are back to being sold out solid four months in advance.

THERE IS AN AWFUL LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE.

My own experience with such business dealings was when Celebrity was absorbed by Royal Caribbean. I first sailed Celebrity in 1998 and at that time it was on par with what Oceania is now in terms of service and cuisine. It was always my line of choice. But when RC entered the picture, overall quality declined. Cutbacks in service here and there gradually ensued. Now O is my favorite. I hope that this won't be déjà vu all over again.

Harry

Edited by harryw

Just read this post on the NCL board:

participated in a TA webinar today with execs from NCL and the CEO from Prestige. They were adamant that the brands will continue to operate independently and very much as is. While no decisions have been made on loyalty programs, etc., the overwhelming message was that they anticipate and desire to keep the distinct brands intact. They described the merger as a way for NCL to own market share by adding different types of customers / cruise experiences to its product lines. They want to own the mid- market and the luxury markets with these new adds. They talked about some really good examples of cross- selling- for example, you are a retiree who takes luxury cruises with spouse but now you want to take your extended family of children and grandchildren- NCL is a better choice for that type of family trip. They also talked about being the cruiseline of choice for span entire life cycle. So, NCL for kids/ families/ action at a moderate price point as you are younger. Moving "up" to a luxury line that is more quiet and elegant as you gain income and wisdom

Several years ago, we took an NCL cruise at the urging of friends. Before we even left the dock, the toilets would not flush or would flush only partially. Their explanation, which I won't repeat here, was ridiculous, laughable, and offensive to most passengers. After that - and more offensive behavior by staff, including the captain - we decided to invest our travel dollars in other cruise lines.

Perhaps they'll simply leave their latest acquisition to continue to operate as usual but that rarely happens. Time to query Seabourn and Crystal?

This was not good news for me at first. I always preferred the independence of the Oceania and Regent brands. But after further thought, the sale seems to be a 'prestige' purchase (pardon the "pun"... not unlike Carnival purchasing Seabourn quite a few years ago. These will become their premium brands; their 'jewels', so to speak. High-end brands to which long time NCL passengers can be motivated towards as they build their cruise experiences.

And not unlike Carnival... NCL would be foolish to tamper with these products. It would totally defeat the reason for the purchase in the first place.

I predict that the synergies they refer too will be in purchasing power across the parent company, and vendor negotiations.

The Carnival purchase of Seabourn did in fact alter the product just a bit... but let there be no doubt... Seabourn is still one hell of a cruise line and an amazing cruising experience all around.

So I'm hopeful. NCL is not stupid.

Like RCI and Carnival, NCI obviously saw future value in its acquiring of Oceania and Regent. Cross-selling opportunities? Some. Prestige? Certainly. Greater size? Yes. But the larger acquiring company always sees expenses with the acquired company that can be reduced.

My guess is that NCI will be consolidating on-shore operations and streamlining logistical operations, but hopefully will not materially change the cruise experience on Oceania and Regent. Luxury cruises are not commodity purchases driven largely by pricing like air transportation, and there is serious competition in the cruise industry. We can expect some changes on the margins, but hopefully nothing that adversely affects the Oceania or Regent brand. Check back in three years, and we will know.

Edited by Reggiefan

Since my prior posts have been uniformly pessimistic due to my business experience with mergers & acquisitions, let me try a modest hopeful note: maybe with NCI's buying power and larger footprint, perhaps we might see a reduction in excursion costs. But leave the lobster alone please!

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about NCL *not* tampering with the product. They certainly sound like they don't intend to do so.

Just please, please PLEASE don't paint O's ships to match NCL's ... I shudder at the thought of any of the ships being multicolored!

Mura

Edited by Mura
Message posted itself too soon!

As a veteran of the Aol-Time Warner merger I am always suspicious of the term synergies. However there are synergies the might benefit the combined company and O passengers, such as greater purchasing power with airlines, food and beverage suppliers, tour companies etc. I for one will wait to see how this alll plays out and have no intention of cancelling any upcoming O cruises. Actually I am waiting for the next group of 2016 voyages are released so I can book a couple more.

Edited by CHUCKIE50

Your comments are very encouraging and I hope you are right.

I just received an email from Regent (signed by FDR) and it stated that Regent had been sold to NCL and that nothing would change with Regent.

I recall I received the same letter from AK Lanterman, former CEO of HAL, stating that HAL had been sold to Carnival and nothing would change (over 20 years ago ).

NOTHING WOULD CHANGE! COME ON THAT'S A DOWN RIGHT LIE---SOMETHINGS HAVE TO CHANGE. DON'T SEE HOW FDR CAN MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THAT, PERIOD!

Rick

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about NCL *not* tampering with the product. They certainly sound like they don't intend to do so.

Just please, please PLEASE don't paint O's ships to match NCL's ... I shudder at the thought of any of the ships being multicolored!

Mura

That is funny Mura..can you see FDR's face of they did..LOL

Jamcruz1

Jan, tonight's Wall Street Journal (9/3) had an article on the purchase with a photo of one of NCL's new big ships ... talk about garish! The ones we've seen here (courtesy of Jim/Stan) were quite moderate in comparison ...

We didn't really object to the one NCL cruise we did a few years ago but I was always embarrassed at returning to a ship with such garish designs ...

Mura

I guess if people have nothing substantive to complain about they'll create red herrings like garish hull paint and zip lines.

Do Seabourn ships look anything like Carnival ships? In case you hadn't noticed, Carnival Corp. owns Seabourn. Do Azamara ships have zip lines, rock climbing walls, or flow riders? Many Royal Caribbean ships do. In case you hadn't noticed, Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean.

If some of the comments I'm reading here are indicative of the attitude of typical Oceania cruisers, I don't want to downgrade my cruising experience by trying your cruise line. I'll stick with mass market NCL and Royal Caribbean.

Edited by njhorseman

I guess if people have nothing substantive to complain about they'll create red herrings like garish hull paint and zip lines.

Do Seabourn ships look anything like Carnival ships? In case you hadn't noticed, Carnival Corp. owns Seabourn. Do Azamara ships have zip lines, rock climbing walls, or flow riders? Many Royal Caribbean ships do. In case you hadn't noticed, Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean.

If some of the comments I'm reading here are indicative of the attitude of typical Oceania cruisers, I don't want to downgrade my cruising experience by trying your cruise line. I'll stick with mass market NCL and Royal Caribbean.

Really think we all need time to absorb this rather surprising information. This thread in not typical of Oceania passengers. Maybe once we vent a bit (that no doubt will include making fun of mainstream cruise lines) we will be ready for visitors from NCL. Try to imagine waking up tomorrow and learning that your favorite cruise line was going to be owned by Carnival. I think that both Oceania and Regent customers are concerned and very worried.

Check us out in a couple of months.... I suspect that you will feel more welcomed.