Beverage Packages.. Not worth the $ IMHO

lusochic

How is sharing a steak the same thing? Unless the restaurant has a rule that you cant share the steak, you're not doing anything they don't allow. Sharing the drink package isn't allowed.

The steak is paid for, so is the drink. That's how. There are plenty of restaurants that frown on sharing entrees. Is it a law? No. It's not 'criminal'. Poor taste? Perhaps.

The steak is paid for, so is the drink. That's how. There are plenty of restaurants that frown on sharing entrees. Is it a law? No. It's not 'criminal'. Poor taste? Perhaps.

I have yet to go to any restaurant that has a problem with sharing a meal.

And, if a restaurant doesn't allow it, then you should follow those rules or they can ask you to leave. Just as RCI can enforce any rule they want. The "drink" is paid for per person, not per drink.

We had the premium package on the FOS last April. My husband and I OFTEN ordered bottles of water with our drinks and were never refused. Usually we'd also grab some on the way back to the cabin to have to drink there and on our excursions. We also both drink a couple sodas a day. Once you factor all that in, it doesn't take a ton of drinks to break even. 2 glasses of wine at dinner and 2 cocktails afterward would do it.

That said, I know it's not for everyone.

We had the premium package on the FOS last April. My husband and I OFTEN ordered bottles of water with our drinks and were never refused. Usually we'd also grab some on the way back to the cabin to have to drink there and on our excursions. We also both drink a couple sodas a day. Once you factor all that in, it doesn't take a ton of drinks to break even. 2 glasses of wine at dinner and 2 cocktails afterward would do it.

That said, I know it's not for everyone.

Agree, DH and I both had the package on our recent Vision cruise and were able to get a bottle of water along with a drink many times. We frequented the solarium bar during the day and had great service from all the bartenders. Mix in the sodas, waters, wine with dinner, and various mixed drinks either at the pool or at night and we more than got our monies worth. No complaints here.

Of course the package is not for everyone, but for some on certain itineraries it does make sense.

Edited by akcruz

I've been waiting for the comment about driving the speed limit. Someone always pulls that one out. As I've said in the past, it all goes to intent. People who share the drink package do it intentionally. People who sometimes go over the speed limit do not leave their home with the intention of doing so.

Don't you mean?......"SOME people who go over the speed limit SOMETIMES do not leave thir home with the intention of doing so?

Either some of my posts were deleted or my computer is acting up. Either way, I'm out. I spent way more time than I intended debating an issue that doesn't apply to me. I'm not utilizing the drink package because we don't drink enough for it to be worthwhile. In the event we did, I'd consider it. In the mean time, I'll continue counting down the days until I can enjoy a beverage on my balcony and watch the tide go by. :cool:

Edited by hamgela
correct typo

Figured my comments about being a common criminal and associating drink "sharers" with Walmart shoplifters would start a small brushfire. It's good to see we can get excited about unimportant things once in awhile.

If folks want to "share" one drink card or otherwise cheat RCI out of their rightful revenue, go for it. For me, I just think it's unethical and not the right thing to do. Certainly not something to brag about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Figured my comments about being a common criminal and associating drink "sharers" with Walmart shoplifters would start a small brushfire. It's good to see we can get excited about unimportant things once in awhile.

If folks want to "share" one drink card or otherwise cheat RCI out of their rightful revenue, go for it. For me, I just think it's unethical and not the right thing to do. Certainly not something to brag about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't disagree that it may be unethical and lacking integrity. I just didn't find it criminal. :)

Share a steak, no that's like the apple and oranges comparison. However, how about you go to Hometown Buffet and only one pays and then goes back for multiple plates to share with the table mate? Now that is stealing. That's more of a comparison.

Bottom line for some people it's worth it for others it's not. Do your research and make your choice. Nobody to blame but yourself.

Oh and I do leave the house with the intent to speed because those speed limit signs apply to you, not me.

I don't disagree that it may be unethical and lacking integrity. I just didn't find it criminal. :)

I promised myself that I wasn't going to post on this thread.

Oh well, there goes another broken promise. :D

I am stunned by this sentence. Just awestruck by the chutzpah exhibited by the poster.

I promised myself that I wasn't going to post on this thread.

Oh well, there goes another broken promise. :D

I am stunned by this sentence. Just awestruck by the chutzpah exhibited by the poster.

So you're saying you do find it criminal? Breaking that rule is criminal?

So you're saying you do find it criminal? Breaking that rule is criminal?

And after going back and reading, I see where the disconnect is. Those of you who view it as criminal believe that because you view the rule breaking as 'stealing'. I don't see it as stealing. I just don't. I'm sorry, I disagree. If my disagreeing means I have a lot of 'chutzpah' then so be it.

One thing that is being overlooked and very important.

You need to have a designated driver/drink pkg. That way when you're caught speeding with or without intent, you don't go to the pokey for driving while intoxicated.

We're cruising the Med in 7 days. It's a 5 port stop. I bought the pkg, the DW did not. I have no idea if I will feel like drinking enough throughout the week to warrant the purchase. Time will tell.

Share a steak, no that's like the apple and oranges comparison. However, how about you go to Hometown Buffet and only one pays and then goes back for multiple plates to share with the table mate? Now that is stealing. That's more of a comparison.

That's the best analogy I've read to date.

And after going back and reading, I see where the disconnect is. Those of you who view it as criminal believe that because you view the rule breaking as 'stealing'. I don't see it as stealing. I just don't. I'm sorry, I disagree. If my disagreeing means I have a lot of 'chutzpah' then so be it.

Chutzpah is not a good thing to have.

You can disagree til you're blue in the face but breaking the rule, in this case is stealing, plain and simple.

I'll sort of concede one point to you, that there are restaurants that frown on sharing. Is it the law? No, but they always have a rule that you pay to share, not the full entree' price but you do pay. Unless, of course, you're eating directly off the other person's plate.

Edited by iheartbda

Simply put, as another poster pointed out, the Drink Package is effectively a "Drink Buffet." You paid a price so YOU can get unlimited drinks. Just like a restaurant with a menu AND a buffet option. If you choose to do the buffet, you can eat as much as you like. If your spouse chooses a bowl of oatmeal off the menu, and decides he or she now wants an omlete, you can't simply say "heck, I can just get you one at the buffet, take a bite and say I don't like it and give it to you." Come on folks....REALLY?! Call it "stealing," call it "rule breaking," whatever. It's simply unethical and wrong. And if you get caught and lose your package for the balance of the cruise, you'll be the first to whine and cry about it. You can justify it any way you like, but at the end of the day we all know it's "gaming the system." Surely nothing to be proud of. Goes to honesty and character.

No one will object to someone ordering a drink, not liking it, and passing it off OCCASIONALLY, but if you do it daily you are just trying to justify an unethical action.

But here's the bottom line. As more and more cheat the system (yeah, it may not be stealing, but certainly is cheating) the system will change and either both in the cabin will again be required to purchase the package, or the package option will be ended. You may not care, but others sure will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer the original question that was posted: I will let you know after my upcoming cruise this month as both my DH and I will be purchasing the Beverage package for convenience. We will have access to the CL but want the freedom to go have a drink (non-alcoholic or not) whenever and wherever we want.:D

. It seems that the packages are not fully integrated into the card swipe system, so you have to keep a close eye to ensure that you are not charged or over charged.!

These type of threads frequently mention if a package is worth it or not and we all know that it is subjective, but you obviously understand this and do a good job of stating your opinion and clarifying that it is such. This is a good post. This line above is a key statement for me that if I was on the fence, might push me away from such a package.

I frequently buy the soda package, or in the past have bought the water package. I don't care if I get my money's worth or not, I consider the value of having it available. However, if I have to keep checking my bill to find bad charges and wait in line to correct someone else's mistake, the value of these packages goes away for me. I can live with paying $8 for a drink once in awhile, but paying a penny for something that shouldn't be on my bill would be annoying.

Hubby & I are getting the Premium drink package on our upcoming Allure cruise, because it's 3 ports (one of which is Labadee where we can use it) and we're not getting off at another. In addition, hitting $55/day for us is going to be simple between cokes, waters (I drink upwards of a gallon of water a day) and drinks with dinner/after dinner. We also want to try some of the scotch offerings, which can be pricey - and if we don't like it, I won't feel bad about leaving it.

We had the highest level drink package on our port-intensive 12-night Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity a few years ago, when they first started offering it. We had NO problem more than breaking even, despite being off the ship for 8-10 hours most days. We'd get bottles of water when we left the ship, bottles of water coming back onto the ship, drinks at the Molecular bar (which were $15 each), wine, etc.

And I never felt like I had overindulged. I can have a few good glasses of wine with dinner and make half my package cost each day right there, before you even add in soda & water, let alone cocktails.

Don't you mean?......"SOME people who go over the speed limit SOMETIMES do not leave thir home with the intention of doing so?

How many do you know that say, if I can get away with it, I'm going to speed every chance I get? Most people do not. Whereas, the intent to "share" the drink package therefore cheating/breaking the rules, whatever, usually go in with the intent to do so. Let's face it, the people who think they're "entitled" to break any and every rule they deem "stupid" or whatever, have an intent to not follow said rule. There's a percentage of people that honestly think rules don't apply to them and therefore will tell everyone who thinks that is wrong how they are "wrong" just so they can justify their behavior. I have never told anyone I was right for occasionally speeding, but I will say I would never say I was right for taking something I did not pay for myself. As a pp said, the drink package is like a buffet. Try telling a restaurant that you don't want the buffet and then eat off someone else's plate. They would charge you. In fact, some buffets charge everyone who comes in and sits down, regardless of whether or not they plan to eat or how much. Disney for example will charge everyone at the table because why should the server have to police people? And, that's why the drink package will either keep going up in price or everyone in the same cabin will have to purchase it again. Regardless of what some people think when you buy a per person package, the only person who should/is allowed to, use the package is that one person.

I still stand by a statement I have made previously that CC should ban any discussions of doing anything illegal or against the cruise line rules. The Dis boards do it and it keeps threads like this from continuing. And, they do stand by it. I've seen several threads on Dis boards go poof for any discussion that involves breaking Disney's rules and the Dis boards are not owned by Disney.

As for whether the package is worth it, as I've said, not for us and the convenience doesn't make up for the cost. I can think of many better ways to spend that much money than on drinks I "might" have or spending time trying to make sure I order enough. We drink the tap water onboard so bottled water is rarely on our radar and we don't drink soda anymore. I think most people will find out that they can't keep up and drink enough to break even.

Edited by BND

These type of threads frequently mention if a package is worth it or not and we all know that it is subjective, but you obviously understand this and do a good job of stating your opinion and clarifying that it is such. This is a good post. This line above is a key statement for me that if I was on the fence, might push me away from such a package.

Honestly I think something else was going on for the OP to be charged for a drink. We have had the package twice and we either did not get a slip since it was included, or if we did the price was clearly marked as $0. If the OP was charged they should have gotten a slip stating that.

Maybe there was some other computer glitch that caused the charge (like the other phantom charges you find sometimes), or maybe the bartender did "suspect" sharing was going on and charged them? But again if this did happen why did they not get a slip?

Honestly I think something else was going on for the OP to be charged for a drink. We have had the package twice and we either did not get a slip since it was included, or if we did the price was clearly marked as $0. If the OP was charged they should have gotten a slip stating that.

Maybe there was some other computer glitch that caused the charge (like the other phantom charges you find sometimes), or maybe the bartender did "suspect" sharing was going on and charged them? But again if this did happen why did they not get a slip?

How many people have reported this happening to them? I can't remember it coming up as a problem. I'm pretty sure for someone with the drink package to be charged the bartender has to override the default or they ordered something that wasn't included.

Perhaps the OP was charged for the drink because only one of them had the package. Only one sea pass card had the drink sticker. If they used the card for the person NOT having the package they will get charged.

Speaking of Chutzpah - funny that the OP admitted to sharing the package and still said it was not worth the $$.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

You're comparing apples and oranges.

You paid for the steak, that's a tangible, limited commodity. You're free to do what you like with it. The drink package has a fluid cost basis for RCL. Try going to Golden Corral with another party and tell them you only want to pay for one buffet. Then, both of you eat from it and see what happens.