Opinions on Seabourn and Crystal

Amolin

We are beginning to plan a Med cruise for next fall for a major anniversary. We have cruised HAL, Celebrity and Cunard and find a Neptune Suite on HAL the best fit for us. We are currently looking at Crystal and Seabourn for this cruise and would like opinions on either from other HAL cruisers. Obviously they are a step up, but would like to know what you liked, what you didn't, what are similarities and differences.

Thanks for all you your help.

I haven't been on Seabourn but Crystal is my hands down favorite cruise line. Which Crystal ship are you looking at, they are very similar but there are a few differences.

I think one of the biggest differences is that the experience on Crystal is VERY similar whether you are a first timer in the most basic cabin or hold a multiple diamond pin and are in a penthouse. The cabin is obviously much nicer but there are very few other differences a $30 surcharge on most cruises.

The Lido is also closed for embarkation lunch but the dining room is open.

Things that are very similar are the wrap around promenade deck, an upper venue (Palm Court) very similar to the Crows Nest and a traditional atmosphere. Other great strengths are the enrichment program and a lack of disturbing announcements.

I hope that gives you a starting idea.

Roy

Haven't done Seabourn but have done Crystal. I loved the food on Crystal (awesome), specialty restaurant were fabulous. If your a foodie, you'll be in heaven.

Didn't like the bartenders, like Hals better. Crystal crowd to me was much more aloof then Hal.

If you liked the Neptune Suites you will have to book a Penthouse Suite or higher. Their regular Penthouse is more the size of a mini suite at 367 sq feet including balcony. Where as the Penthouse Suite is 491 including balcony, more Neptune size.

Haven't done Seabourn but have done Crystal. I loved the food on Crystal (awesome), specialty restaurant were fabulous. If your a foodie, you'll be in heaven.

Didn't like the bartenders, like Hals better. Crystal crowd to me was much more aloof then Hal.

If you liked the Neptune Suites you will have to book a Penthouse Suite or higher. Their regular Penthouse is more the size of a mini suite at 367 sq feet including balcony. Where as the Penthouse Suite is 491 including balcony, more Neptune size.

I would agree with PathfinderEss, especially about the Crystal crowd being aloof.

Very inclusive bunch and if you are a first-timer on Crystal, well, consider yourself on your own.

They won't even share their blog URLs with you! Compare that to HAL, with blog URLs posted all the time for every type of cruise (World, Grands, regular). HAL pax are the best, friendliest on the high seas!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I would agree with PathfinderEss, especially about the Crystal crowd being aloof.

Very inclusive bunch and if you are a first-timer on Crystal, well, consider yourself on your own.

They won't even share their blog URLs with you! Compare that to HAL, with blog URLs posted all the time for every type of cruise (World, Grands, regular). HAL pax are the best, friendliest on the high seas!

really? A bit of a general statement perchance?

Just off the cuff, I know that Rafinmd is a regular Crystal cruiser and always shares his experiences and blogs with anyone interested. I follow his live threads each time and they are always enjoyable:D

I'm trying hard not to take this personally, and wondering if you've ever actually sailed Crystal. I now have over 100 days each on HAL and Crystal and my conclusion is that there are all kinds of people everywhere.

I've had tablemates on Crystal that I couldn't stand (an issue quickly resolved by the maître d), and also met some extremely nice people. I've visited with several HAL people at ports where we were not on the same cruise, and also encountered major forces here who seem to be incognito on the ship.

In regard to the specific Crystal person you mention I've sailed with him twice and he is a genuine pleasure to be with. He has been burned on occasion by inappropriate use of his intellectual property, and is careful about his blogs, but most of the same material is commonly available on a companion Cruise Critic thread. He is currently on the ship and you should be hearing from him soon.

Back when I was new to cruise critic and posted a question on a ports forum before I had sailed since enrolling, he was the one who had the useful answer. There may be some problem people but the HAL forum has some of those as well. People are people everywhere.

Roy

Crystal is my favorite cruise line as well. It is also all inclusive, and that makes it even more special. I have never had such wonderful service and food as I had on Crystal, and we have been cruising well over 30 years.

I've sailed on Seabourn and loved it!

99% of the passengers were very friendly and easy to converse with and not "snooty" whatsoever.

Staff was incredible, food was great. I never heard the word no to any passenger request.

It was a wonderful experience!

Claudia

This is exactly how we have found Seabourn. We have sailed the new larger ships (400-450 pax!) and they are fantastic. We have found Seabourn to be VERY friendly; everybody mixes, much more so than on HAL to tell you the truth. The smaller size makes mixing with others very easy.

The service is impeccable, food is outstanding, never a 'no' no matter what you may wish. Small ship but 3 alternative restaurants, plus the MDR, with a wide variety of menus, all included in your cruise price. And, yes, if you sail in HAL's higher suites the Seabourn price is very comparable with all that is included. We haven't sailed Crystal so can't comment.

I think Crystal is a upscale, all inclusive version of HAL. The one thing I did not like about it is there is no casual dinning place for dinner like the Lido on HAL or the terrace on Oceania. One ship has a dinner spot by the pool however you still must make a reservation. The ships are in excellent shape and yes the rooms are small. Do not worry about the people onboard, like anywhere people are people

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Thanks to everyone for the input. It is great getting opinions from fellow HAL cruisers. At this point we're looking at many different cruises for fall 2015, but these two seem the most likely. (and planning is so much fun) By the time this cruise comes up we will be 4 star or almost 4 star on HAL. Do the mariner points apply to Seabourn?