Live From Riviera - Barcelona to Istanbul, 9/8/14

Aloha 1

Great review Aloha. I wonder about Azamara but I just keep coming back to the Riviera. I'm trying the Insignia in November and hope I like it as well as the Riviera - although I will definitely miss La Reserve

CJ

Catherine, we'll just miss you by a couple of weeks on Insignia. We booked yesterday for the Nov 30th cruise.

Catherine, we'll just miss you by a couple of weeks on Insignia. We booked yesterday for the Nov 30th cruise.

Oh that's too bad. Would love to see you on another cruise. I've noticed that you've been looking at the Feb 2016 from Sydney to Auckland. I would love to do that one but I want to find someone to go with me - trying to convince my sister.

Catherine

Edited by cruisingxpert

Oh that's too bad. Would love to see you on another cruise. I've noticed that you've been looking at the Feb 2016 from Sydney to Auckland. I would love to do that one but I want to find someone to go with me - trying to convince my sister.

Catherine

We're booked on that one, all the way to Papeete.

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies for being absent from this thread for the last 4 weeks. Roughly 40 hours after returning to the USA from Istanbul, I was stricken with an intestinal illness. At first it was thought to be viral which means rest and fluids. After 2 weeks and no resolution, the determination was bacterial. Two more weeks of antibiotics and I'm happy to report all is well. Not sure exactly how or what I picked up as I'm pretty careful of what I eat on shore and take standard precautions like frequent hand washing. DW and I essentially ate the same food and she was fine. Just shows you can't be too careful. Any rate, I owe this board some pictures and menus and I will be posting those over this weekend.

sorry you were sick & hope you are feeling much better

Lyn

+1 - and look forward to seeing pics etc. I enjoyed reading your comments on your trip - it must seem a long time ago now! What a shame to end a great trip with illness.

sorry you were sick & hope you are feeling much better

Lyn

+3

I'm five days out from stepping off the Riviera in Istanbul after a lovely cruise with one caveat.

I'll await your photos to make my comments.

I can't resist just one, though. The attention to detail on the Riviera was wonderful. There were many other wonderful s

...to be continue...

In no particular order, here are some pics of things to be found on Riviera:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/attach/pdf.gif

The La Reserve meal was to die for and the cooking classes were outstanding. I'm a fairly accomplished amateur chef but I still learned a lot.

La Reserve.pdf

Cooking Class #1.pdf

Cooking Class #2.pdf

Aloha1,

Welcome back!

I agreed with everything in your September 24 summary review of the Riviera except for one item. The Verandah suites on Riviera and Marina are not as large or "roomy" as those on any of the Regent ships, even Mariner's. Voyager's and Navigator's Verandah Suites are over 55 square feet larger. Mariner's are only a handful of sq. ft. larger but seem roomier because of the walk-in closet, which Riviera and Marina both lack. The big negative for us on those ships was the placement of the closet right next to the side of the bed, where my wife and I constantly got in each other's way.

So we now book the Penthouse Suite on Riviera and Marina, for its walk-in closet. It's also very roomy, about 70 sq. ft. larger than the Verandah Suites on Voyager and Navigator and nearly as large as Mariner's great but expensive Penthouse Suite.