Robes-one size does NOT fit all

CruisingwithAutism

Wow. I see nothing wrong with discussing the improper fitting of the robes. OP just wanted to let everyone know and I would have appreciated reading this thread before my first Princess cruise so I could have been prepared.

I have never had a problem with the robes on other cruise lines, only Princess.

Not asking for a brand new velour robe, just asking for one of a decent quality like other cruise lines have that don't shrink like crazy after the first wash.

I was thinking the same thing. Well said. To lighten the mood, my chubby self won't even try them on anyore. My slim Husband doesnt mind them open in front but I like my robes overlapped.

I've never paid much attention to them, for me, wearing one would be like wearing a strangers underwear. Just some things not meant to be shared.

I wear boxer briefs. Many women might look fine in my underwear but I sincerely doubt anybody would think I would look fine in women's underwear... :eek:

This robe debate is so ridiculous. Everyone claims they are 5'2" 98 lbs soaking wet and the robes don't fit them. I am 5'7" 160 lbs and have never had a problem with the robes.

Stop griping and just bring your own if you don't like the ones Princess supplies for free. Maybe they supply old crappy ones so people aren't 'accidentally' packing them in their suitcases. ;)

Should Princess keep a closet of brand new velour robes in assorted sizes so everyone can have a new one that fits properly? :rolleyes:

Maybe this question has been asked in another debate on CC.....can you wear a robe on formal night to the main dining room....:confused:;):)

Maybe this question has been asked in another debate on CC.....can you wear a robe on formal night to the main dining room....:confused:;):)

Yes you can. However, you likely won't be admitted into the dining room... After all, robes aren't even considered "smart casual".

Well, this is different. So far, the cruise ship robes have been so humongous on me that I feel like I'm in a tent--I'm 5'3", 138--and have quit even trying to wear them. I feel like my arms won't even move up.

This looks just as bad the other way! How about having robes in different sizes? Would that be so hard?

I had the greatest robe ever on a Princess mini-suite long cruise. I was looking forward to their robes again. Then, on a later cruise, the robe was like for a nine-year-old. Couldn't barely overlap. I figured it shrank like mad in the laundry. I didn't complain because I don't want to be a nuisance, always complaining to the poor stewards. It was livable. But lucky I didn't have to evacuate the room late one night. That could have been very embarrassing.

The picture at the beginning of this thread, that robe looks big compared to what I had!

I've never paid much attention to them, for me, wearing one would be like wearing a strangers underwear. Just some things not meant to be shared.

So I guess you have no problem sleeping on Princess sheets that the prior user had slept naked on and perhaps even have done the 'nasty'. :D

Or using Princess towels that the previous user dried their bum with.

What's the difference??

Well, as many have posed on this forum regarding formal wear - it is your vacation and you are entitled to wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Formal attire is mearly a suggestion. ;) My wife likes to wear her bunny slippers along with the robe on formal night! :D

Fine for smart casual. For formal night, you are respectfully requested

to close the front, to maintain a formal atmosphere for all guests.

Well, as many have posed on this forum regarding formal wear - it is your vacation and you are entitled to wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Formal attire is mearly a suggestion. ;) My wife likes to wear her bunny slippers along with the robe on formal night! :D

Great! Now my wife will be packing another pair of shoes and a bag to match the robe.

When we arrived in our cabin there were no robes. We asked our steward where they were. He said "They won't fit you".

Couldn't tell if he was being helpful or hurtful. We said bring them anyway. And yes they didn't fit but its something we look forward to if just to laugh at ourselves.

And they come in handy when opening the door for room service.

We've gotten those shrunk robes before on some cruises and had the steward exchange them for newer ones that haven't been cleaned numerous times in their super hot dryers. This is the perfect example of what happens to clothing being washed after a while on Princess. :( Their washing process will ruin anything sooner or later, so if you feel comfortable sending them your laundry to be cleaned, this is what it might look like when their done + a few holes to boot. ;)

I guessing that unless you're lucky to get one that hasn't been cleaned too many times (as stated, it seems it's the hot dryer that's the problem), the robe will be too small. Just think that if the robes aren't replaced so often and if they're used on every cruise, a robe on a ship that does weekly cruises might get washed 52 times!

I'm the type who tries to dry my clothes on the lowest possible setting (and usually I use the cold water setting if possible). And then, I often try to remove shirts before completely dry to keep them from shrinking.

As much as we like Princess (have been Elite for many years) we would never recommend the line based on their robes :). If its nice robes you want then you need to do Celebrity (Concierge, Aqua or Suites) and you will get a robe that is too plush!

Hank

Just the thought of 52 strange bodies [naked] in a robe that I'm supposed to share with them makes me cringe! :eek:

I think I'll skip the robe and go right to the long "T" shirt that serves as "walking around the cabin doing nothing wear!"

But, thanks for the offer!

Wow!!!

The thought of 52 naked bodies having worn the robe I'm about to put on,

oh :o what a "nasty" thought I just had. I'll be right back!

So, did you ask for larger ones?? :confused:

We asked for 4 online during our check-in and there were none. So we asked our steward and then he gave us two. Same steward also gave us two beach towels every day, even though he clearly made the room for four. We just laughed about the robes and enjoyed our vacation.

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sept '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sept '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Carnival Sunshine