Where did you buy that?

Aussie Jeep

If you don't mind me asking how much is the syrup and the size? Thank you.

Oh, it depends. The size? Anywhere from 1/2 a pint to a gallon. They range in price from approximately $6-8 for a 1/2 pint to $30-40 for a gallon.

You want to know the funny thing? I always bring it as a gift for the gift exchange at the meet and greets and it gets snatched up almost immediately. What's funny is, even though I live in Vermont, I am not a fan of the syrup. Give me Mrs. Butterworth's any day. My native Vermonter DH just hates it when I say that!

Oh, it depends. The size? Anywhere from 1/2 a pint to a gallon. They range in price from approximately $6-8 for a 1/2 pint to $30-40 for a gallon.

You want to know the funny thing? I always bring it as a gift for the gift exchange at the meet and greets and it gets snatched up almost immediately. What's funny is, even though I live in Vermont, I am not a fan of the syrup. Give me Mrs. Butterworth's any day. My native Vermonter DH just hates it when I say that!

That's funny!! We had friend that brought us back some several years ago and I was so excited to have some real syrup so had DH make me some pancakes. Like you, I'm not a fan at all and didn't finish the ones with the syrup on them and gave them back to him (like Mikey Steve likes anything).;) I went on to finish some pancakes with MB's lite syrup - I don't even like her original stuff.

In Canada I always make a stop at any drug store, (which could also be inside of a grocery store) to pick up 222's. They are basically Tylenol with codeine and they are over the counter in Canada.

We also can get muscle relaxants over the counter here in Canada. One time I forgot to bring them with me and went to a drugstore in the US and asked for them. The person looked at me as if I had three heads and said you need a script for them here.

On a cruise to Turkey be sure to purchase saffron...and bring some home for your foodie/cooking friends, they will really appreciate it. Apple tea as well is another great thing to buy in Turkey.

Rochelle

Saffron in Turkey more often than not is fake. Safflower is what is commonly sold in Turkey, so don't be fooled. It mimics the color of Saffron when used in cooking but lacks the flavour and aroma of true Saffron. They also have for sale (spice bazaar) "Indian Saffron" but that is just Turmeric.

If you want to buy Saffron while in Turkey keep your eye out for Iranian Saffron but again this varies widely in quality and some will sell you a lower grade for the price of a higher grade.

Some argue that the best Saffron to buy is Spanish "Coupe" Quality, but it is very, very expensive. I purchased a 1.5 oz. jar of "Pure Select" Cat. 2 grade for 80 euros when in Barcelona and treat it like gold lol.

Saffron color scores or grades are measured at certified testing laboratories worldwide using photo spectroscopy reports. These color grades range from grades lower than 80 (for all category IV saffron) up to 190 or greater (for category I or "Coupe"). The world's rarest samples (select red-maroon tips of stigmas picked from the finest flowers) receive absorbency scores of 250+.

The most important rule is "less is more". A very little bit of saffron goes a long way and if overused becomes overpowering in flavor. Further you are paying for the best so experiment with less and find you perfect amount. (hint: just a small pinch)

We purchased our saffron at La Boqueria in Barcelona on Las Ramblas.

cheers...the Ump...:D

My favorites:

Grand Cayman - 7 Fathoms rum

Barbados - Mount Gay 18 or 21 year old rum

Barcelona, Prague - absinthe

Livorno - Cinque Terre wine, limoncello

Naples - Mt. Vesuvius wine, limoncello

Istanbul - Turkish Delight candy, spices

Greece - ouzo

Venice - Murano glass

Of note, you can't bring the absinthe home, so consume it there.

Saffron in Turkey more often than not is fake. Safflower is what is commonly sold in Turkey, so don't be fooled. It mimics the color of Saffron when used in cooking but lacks the flavour and aroma of true Saffron. They also have for sale (spice bazaar) "Indian Saffron" but that is just Turmeric.

If you want to buy Saffron while in Turkey keep your eye out for Iranian Saffron but again this varies widely in quality and some will sell you a lower grade for the price of a higher grade.

Some argue that the best Saffron to buy is Spanish "Coupe" Quality, but it is very, very expensive. I purchased a 1.5 oz. jar of "Pure Select" Cat. 2 grade for 80 euros when in Barcelona and treat it like gold lol.

Saffron color scores or grades are measured at certified testing laboratories worldwide using photo spectroscopy reports. These color grades range from grades lower than 80 (for all category IV saffron) up to 190 or greater (for category I or "Coupe"). The world's rarest samples (select red-maroon tips of stigmas picked from the finest flowers) receive absorbency scores of 250+.

The most important rule is "less is more". A very little bit of saffron goes a long way and if overused becomes overpowering in flavor. Further you are paying for the best so experiment with less and find you perfect amount. (hint: just a small pinch)

We purchased our saffron at La Boqueria in Barcelona on Las Ramblas.

cheers...the Ump...:D

What are your tips on finding real saffron in Turkey?

Scotch in Sint Maarten - cheapest I've found yet. Bought two 1L bottle - an excellent bottle of Scotch and a run of the mill Bourbon - $60 total. They give a discount if you buy more than one bottle AND they'll haggle.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

That may be true, but the chocolate from Belgium is still the best :D

Unfortunately there aren't many cruise ships visiting us...

We tried chocolate all over Europe. And although Belgum was really good we thought it was the second best in Europe. We thought Switzerland had the best chocolate in Europe.

But Belgum had the best French Fries. Mmmmm.

Just a head's up on the ulu knives, some cruise lines confiscate them as a weapon so you may need to have them shipped home. Just an fyi..

I heard the ship may not be a problem. But keep in mind flying home after the cruise. Especially if you are carry-on only, to avoid baggage fees. It would be OK in checked luggage, but not carry-on. We shipped the one we bought as a gift, got here yesterday.

Grand Cayman - 7 fathoms rum, but is 35.00 a bottle, also at little plaza right by Margaritaville is a little liquor store has blackbeards rum, real good, also a little trailer there that sells blackbeards rum cakes, if you buy a six pack, they give you a 2 lb cake for free, best ones are original, and the banana (banana is the best) we also bought tortuga rum and tortuga rum cakes, but blackbeards i think is the best .. we bought a bottle of Cruzan rum there for only 8.00 (it is cheaper than that in St Thomas or St Croix) Cozumel, Mexican blankets 3 for 20.00 is norm, dont pay more than 2-3 dollars for maracas , also for hot sauces in Cozumel, we bought like 6 various bottles, 2 bucks or less a piece, silver jewelry, jewelry store right at port will bargain good with you. Wife bought a bracelet, he started out at 85.00 , she got for 50.00, had appraised here in Tampa at friends store, they said it would sell for around 100.00 ... had black onyx in it.. i bought a turquoise/ silver bolo tie ..

I'll second Grenada for the nutmeg. The spice necklaces make interesting gifts -- but shop around for better deals. The ones that still had the mace attached to the nutmegs seemed to be higher quality than the others.

Does anyone have any advice for Bermuda?

When is Coasta Rica get a bottle of "Cacique" its a sugar alcohol like rum but without the hangover. Its flavorless so you can mix it in anything juice,sode etc. When in Belize get Marie Sharps hot sauces. Tons of different heats and fflavors. We always stock up on both. Enjoy

I agree about the Marie Sharps. It is so good. Discovered it at a restaurant that we stopped at coming back from Tubing the Caves over two years ago, and bought a couple of bottles. My husband found it on-line and orders cases of it. Yum!

Curacao liqueur in Curacao. :) I bought a small bottle of the blue variety at the distillery and I'm wishing I'd bought a bigger bottle. It was cheaper there than at the shops by the ship. We didn't realize there were other flavours and we got to sample them, too. Chocolate and orange were especially good mixed together. :cool:

Heather