Where did you buy that?

Aussie Jeep

If it wasn't for all the valued CC reports that I read, that when on my last cruise which stopped at Cozumel, I would never have known to purchase pure Vanilla essence, beans etc. at Cozumel without reading about it here.

It is amazing and I am still using it today.

There must be other Ports of Call as well that sell products etc unique to that port/city/country. I am interested to hear from fellow cruisers of these and what they are, so that when I stop at these various ports I won't miss purchasing something that I may not be able to easily access elsewhere.

If it wasn't for all the valued CC reports that I read, that when on my last cruise which stopped at Cozumel, I would never have known to purchase pure Vanilla essence, beans etc. at Cozumel without reading about it here.

There must be other Ports of Call as well that sell products etc unique to that port/city/country. I am interested to hear from fellow cruisers of these and what they are, so that when I stop at these various ports I won't miss purchasing something that I may not be able to easily access elsewhere.

On a cruise to Turkey be sure to purchase saffron...and bring some home for your foodie/cooking friends, they will really appreciate it. Apple tea as well is another great thing to buy in Turkey.

Rochelle

I always buy vanilla when on a cruise to Mexico! Just did a day of baking (charity bake sale Tuesday) and used some--best vanilla ever. :D

Thank you, Rochelle, for the suggestions for Turkey. I'll be in Kusadasi next month and will be sure to get some saffron!

Alaska: ulu knives are a must-buy for me. They make great gifts.

:D

Silver jewelry is also good in Mexico if purchased from a reputable dealer and is stamped "925". Another favorite from Mexico is the Talavera pottery. It's the very colorful plates, mugs, platters, etc., you see in the stores.

And I'll third the vote for Mexican vanilla! So glad to be going to Cozumel in October because I am all but out. :eek:

Edited by tarps14

They also make the best pill cutters going. Comes in real handy when you are only supposed to take a half!

Rochelle

They would! They're so sharp. When we returned from our second Alaska cruise, my DD's first grade teacher asked me to come in and talk to the kids about it since they were learning about Alaska. I brought the knife to show and told them I couldn't pass it around because it's so sharp, and proceeded to cut my finger on it right there in front of the class. She's 19 now and still remembers if vividly. Oops. :o

On the US and Canadian North East ..

WARNING* You may get addicted to it as even the Japanese are..

MAPLE SYRUP, Maple Candy, Maple Sugar.. and also forms thereof.

What a wonderful condiment, supplement, and straight ingredient ..

They would! They're so sharp. When we returned from our second Alaska cruise, my DD's first grade teacher asked me to come in and talk to the kids about it since they were learning about Alaska. I brought the knife to show and told them I couldn't pass it around because it's so sharp, and proceeded to cut my finger on it right there in front of the class. She's 19 now and still remembers if vividly. Oops. :o

OMG you must have traumatized the class :eek: :D;) My dd would bring that up every chance she would get.. lol """"Hey mom, remember when you thought it would be cool to bring the knife to school"""" lol lol

On the US and Canadian North East ..

WARNING* You may get addicted to it as even the Japanese are..

MAPLE SYRUP, Maple Candy, Maple Sugar.. and also forms thereof.

What a wonderful condiment, supplement, and straight ingredient ..

Since I live in Vermont, if you run out, just let me know. I would be more than happy to send you some.

OMG you must have traumatized the class :eek: :D;) My dd would bring that up every chance she would get.. lol """"Hey mom, remember when you thought it would be cool to bring the knife to school"""" lol lol

Pretty much! LOL. I'd shown it to the teacher and she thought it would be good for them to see how different it is than the knives their families used. Ah well, we might have thought that out better. :D:D

St. Thomas - liquor

San Juan - DonQ rum

St. Croiz - rum presuming I can still stagger after visiting the distillery and the never-ending pina colattas!

Istanbul - carpets

Italy/Spain - olive oil, olives - especially if you can find a supermarket, buy the cheap stuff, unfiltered...OMG, so very tasty with some basil and a summer tomato.

South America - Yerba for Mate', also cheap but delicious wine

Edited by Clay Clayton

When is Coasta Rica get a bottle of "Cacique" its a sugar alcohol like rum but without the hangover. Its flavorless so you can mix it in anything juice,sode etc. When in Belize get Marie Sharps hot sauces. Tons of different heats and fflavors. We always stock up on both. Enjoy

In Canada I always make a stop at any drug store, (which could also be inside of a grocery store) to pick up 222's. They are basically Tylenol with codeine and they are over the counter in Canada.

And you kept this a secret why?!?!

Just a head's up on the ulu knives, some cruise lines confiscate them as a weapon so you may need to have them shipped home. Just an fyi..

NCL sold them on deck during the Alaska cruise on the last sea day before Seattle. Perfect timing because I decided I should have picked up a couple more and there they were along side the usual $10 T-shirts. I love those knives!

My shopping suggestion:

Roatan -- vanilla (very inexpensive) We booked a local driver and tour and he went in purchased two bottles for us.

Maybe because this thread wasn't started until after we got back???

Now you'll know for next time! Or you can head for the border to your south! :p

LOL I'm joking around with you, Hikini. :)

But it will be nice to know for the next cruise I take to Alaska...DD is already planning another one for next September. lol