Who Does Formal Nights?

AmandaF

Do you participate in formal night?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you participate in formal night?

• I participate in formal night
    • I don't participate in formal night

I find I interesting that at this point 86% say yes they participate in formal night, yet almost all the posts are from folks who don't.

We love to dress for formal evening because we don't have many occasions to do so where we live. DH brings his tux and I bring my sparklies and we glam it up for a couple of evenings, trying to recreate the feeling of how it must have been to cruise a long time ago.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

There's a poll attached?

In not seeing a poll when accessed thru the phone.

We do dress up for formal night--me more than my husband. I usually wear a gown or cocktail dress, sometimes dressy pants and top. He used to wear his tux, then a suit, is now down to a blazer with shirt and tie.

For him, it is mostly about comfort. He has bad feet and just can't wear formal-style shoes at all. And, his tux and suit are very uncomfortable in the neck area. He looks fine in his navy blazer and fits in well enough.

I still like really dressing up, it's the only chance I get.

I could have been the one who wrote that. I have a seperate wardrobe for cruising that is much nicer than my everyday stay at home clothes. Husband wears the same old comfortable things.

We love formal night and I have a good selection of gowns and fancy dresses. I love to dress up as does my mom. My boys 17, 17 & 21 are very fashion forward, especially the twins specifically picking their shirts and ties. One would steal nick cannon's wardrobe if he could. My step daughter 28 and her BF also love it. My other half (soon to be husband in12 days) enjoys it to as he wears jeans or shorts daily as he works from home

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There's a poll attached?

In not seeing a poll when accessed thru the phone.

On page 1 of this thread, at the very top; perhaps it isn't coming through on your phone - log into a computer, it should be there.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

My husband and I both like to dress up for formal nights. He actually likes wearing his tux, and I get more use of my "fancy" clothes. But I was thinking about the poll - Because this is the Fashion Board there are probably more "dress up" people here than there might be somewhere else. But don't post this on any of the other boards unless you're prepared to duck!

We love formal night and I have a good selection of gowns and fancy dresses. I love to dress up as does my mom. My boys 17, 17 & 21 are very fashion forward, especially the twins specifically picking their shirts and ties. One would steal nick cannon's wardrobe if he could. My step daughter 28 and her BF also love it. My other half (soon to be husband in12 days) enjoys it to as he wears jeans or shorts daily as he works from home

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Sharon, congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals:)

Wishing you all the best:)

We participate in formal nights but I'm finding we are becoming less "formal" the more we cruise. I rarely take a long dress anymore, I usually wear what most would call a cocktail dress. My husband has decided on our TA in two weeks that he is not taking his tux, he will wear a shirt/tie and dark black jacket. So, while we are "dressed up" for formal nights, we are hardly formal.:D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Formal nights have been the mainstays of my cruising voyages since I first stepped on the former MS Tropicale at age 6. I'm going on the NCL Spirit for a 12-day grand Mediterranean cruise and there will be two "Dress up or Not" nights (2! count 'em!) So maybe me and DM would do either one of them or both. We'll see to that, but I dress up for formal night.

For many years and dozens of cruises, I always wore long gowns. I now wear knee length cocktail dresses.

On the 2015 Africa Explorer there are 23 formal nights on the 83-night cruise.

I am traveling solo and am no longer able to handle more than two large checked bags. From all your years of cruising with HAL, what do you think about coordinating dressy tops with black or navy crepe pants or knee- or floor- length skirts?

Have not cruised with HAL since 2010 and would sincerely appreciate your advice and/or suggestions.

From all your years of cruising with HAL, what do you think about coordinating dressy tops with black or navy crepe pants or knee- or floor- length skirts?

What you are suggesting will be absolutely fine on Holland America ships. You might also consider bringing a plain black/navy top to go with your skirt or pants and changing up the looks with some very lightweight scarves. I'm excited for your cruise!

Black pants (knit or palazzo), sparkly blouses and flats or jeweled sandals for me. It works for me and I don't end up having a fashion meltdown trying to find the right dress. It's just part of my cruise clothing collection.

Hi Sharon:) have a quick question for you...do you rememember the

name of the company you used for the "Flashpins"? I still have mine

from last year:D..was thinking of buying some for my upcoming cruise.

I bought the last ones from Flashy Blinky Lights......I have also got them from another site. I will have to look through my emails for that one. Do a search on Google of cruise ship blinking pins. Also look for a coupon......Pat and I have a tradition of getting them for our cruises and giving them out. They make people so hqppy!

I bought the last ones from Flashy Blinky Lights......I have also got them from another site. I will have to look through my emails for that one. Do a search on Google of cruise ship blinking pins. Also look for a coupon......Pat and I have a tradition of getting them for our cruises and giving them out. They make people so hqppy!

Ahhhh...ok, I did use Google:D but just wondered which you used.

I will check out pricing...thanks:)...back to dresses;) or pants;)

When I get home, I will email you with the other company. You gotta shop them....lol, they are cheap! =P

Ok, thanks:) sorry to have gotten off topic.

Before I took my first cruise as an adult i was told that coctail dresses were fine for formal night, and I have worn that style for all my formal nights. My DH loves dressing up for formal nights as he has to wear a uniform shirt at work and he likes to spruce up. He looks very nice all dressed up. It's when he started matching my outfits that it became wierd. So to please him, we have to plan our color coordinations before we cruise.

My next cruise will be with my girl friend, and we agreed since we were not trying to make the men happy, we wouldn't go so formal. But we both dress for dinner in the MDR every night.

The reason I change back in to "comfortable" clothes after dinner, is due to the shoes. But this time I will just change into flip flops and leave the dresses on. She and I are planning to go to the disco one night:D:eek:=something the hubbies just wont do!

Edited by marshhawk

DW and I always participate in formal nights. I love the way that she looks in formal wear. In fact, I go with her when she shops for her formals. She is 5'10" and is a slender, striking platinum blonde. I really do feel very lucky to be able to spend my time with such a spectacular person. I actually have 3 tuxedos and I take 2 of them on every cruise. Sure, it takes a little effort to dress up, but she is worth it. I want her to feel proud to be with me. We dance a lot on cruises and I want her to feel as elegant and special as she really is to me.

I can be comfortable in sweat pants and T shirts on the weekend at home in the back yard. On formal nights I appreciate the fact that people take the time and effort required to have a much nicer ambiance for a few hours.

We always dress up for formal night. I have been migrating to chiffon crepe and georgette clothes for lighter weight luggage. I now have at least 10 chiffon jackets that I wear in the evening, and several for formal nights. They are matched with seafoam crepe georgette slacks, black slacks, or a grey or black chiffon tea length skirt.

We will be taking an Alaskan Cruise next July on the Princess Line. We have taken several Caribbean Cruises with Carnival. We have done the formal nights with Carnival before except for our last cruise, when we decided we just didn't want to go to the trouble. It was no big deal on Carnival, we just hung out by the pool and ate pizza, lol. It was great, it wasn't crowded for once. I'm not sure if this will go over well with Princess? Does everyone do the formal nights on Princess? How many of y'all does the formal nights and how many doesn't?

We vacation to relax on vacation & since Princess allows people to dress casually on formal evenings in the DR we leave the formal clothing at home. We've given up on the dressing routine years ago & are much happier for it. Most people will dress up but it's definitely not a requirement.

What you are suggesting will be absolutely fine on Holland America ships. You might also consider bringing a plain black/navy top to go with your skirt or pants and changing up the looks with some very lightweight scarves. I'm excited for your cruise!

Went through my "scarf collection" first thing after reading your post, and was pleasantly surprised because I have six lightweight ones that will work well. Thank you for your sentiments too!

I made hubby buy an evening suit for our Norway cruise last year, he looks so handsome in it. We dress very casual at home so it makes a change to look smart. Also had some lovely photos taken in our attire having our dinner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I love to dress up and look sharp. But when I'm on a cruise, I just put on a tie (no jacket) for formal nights or go to a specialty restaurant in resort casual clothing.

1. To the extent possible, we are carry-on-only travelers, and formal clothing takes up an unjustifiable amount of luggage space.

2. When I'm on vacation, I just want a break from having attire dictated to me since I wear formal clothing for work.

3. The dining room is not a true formal setting nor is going on a cruise a formal function warranting formal attire. Formal night is just arbitrary. Resort casual is fine every other time in the dining room.

4. Fine restaurants are increasingly going casual, and you're hard pressed to find a fine dining establishment on land insisting on true formal attire.

5. I'm usually cruising to a spot warmer than home. No need for extra layers.

6. Some people try too hard to dress up at formal night and end up looking silly and uncoordinated. If formal dress isn't something you do just once a year for a cruise ship's formal night, you know what I mean.