Your favorite Caribbean cruises...

Sat1

All our 20+ Caribbean cruises were nice, but in terms of itinerary Southern

San Juan - St Thomas - Tortola - Antigua - St Lucia - Barbados - Day at sea - San Juan takes the cake.

The best islands on this itin - St Lucia and Barbados.

Other favorite islands - St Maarten and Grand Cayman.

Southern. Not even a close call.

I like a port intensive cruise offering wide variety among the ports of call. That's southern. I nearly didn't try a southern itinerary, thinking the flight to San Juan would be too far or too expensive. When I finally looked into it more seriously, I found the flight only about a half hour longer from the northeast than flying to Miami, Florida. The cost was $100-$150 more per person, but I found most of the cruises were less expensive than those out of Miami, so it kind of balanced out.

My second itinerary choice would be western."Eastern" is - IMO - really just a couple of the northern-most southern Caribbean ports (like St. Thomas and St. Maarten) with a throw-away port tossed in along the way (like Nassau). In terms of western itineraries, I prefer the ones that include Roatan and Belize along with Mexico. (They ALL include Mexico, right?) Roatan and Belize are very different from the touristy Mexican ports of call, which means more variety.

Favorite Southern Ports of Call: Dominica, St. Kitts, St. John (via ferry from St. Thomas). Visiting St. Lucia on my next cruise, which I expect to also really like. I tend to prefer the more mountainous ports and lean most heavily in favor of the least developed ports. (For example, not a huge fan of Barbados... it's so developed and modern.)

Edited by printingchick

We have done Southern and Eastern - Southern is our favorite - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao - Curacao is our favorite island hands down. We weren't crazy about the Eastern islands (St. Croix, Antigua, Barbados in particular).

Probably southern, but I love the eastern also. We did a B2B southern and absolutely loved Barbados. Probably wouldn't do western again unless it was so cheap I couldn't pass it up, then we'd just stay on the ship.....except for Grand Cayman.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say Southern too. We love Curacao and have done a land vacation there. Our next cruise will be on the Independence going to San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts and Labadee. We're very excited to check out these ports.

Caribbean: Before they changed the Southern itinerary, we loved the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan with stops in St. Thomas & Maarteen, Aruba & Curacao.

2nd best was the same itinerary on the Serenade.

Best ship: The Oasis & Allure.

Europe. The 12 niter on the Serenade/Brilliance out of Barcelona which covered the Mediterranean and a stop in Venice. The most fantastic entry/departure port.

All!

Eastern is my favorite, especially the 8 night Indy version we took last year.

Southern was fantastic, but very port intensive and busy

Western is flat (lol) and my least favorite, but if the ship and timing is right, we still do it (like in just over 4 weeks!)