Bye bye buffet?

SeaShark

I would have a major problem cruising if there wasn't a buffet on board. My special needs dd is very picky with her food choices. After we eat in a restaurant/dining room, we usually have to stop at the buffet so she can find something to eat! (yes - even with all the menu choices!)

They don't have it on any of their ships now. I got off the Magic two days ago and was desperately in need of a dinner buffet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it looks like the buffet is gone for dinner but exists for breakfast and lunch. Odd for ships that cater to lots of tots.

Cabanas is an indoor/outdoor Casual Dining restaurant located on Deck 9, Aft on the Disney Magic that serves a culinary confection of fresh food favorites. At breakfast and lunch, Cabanas offers the finest in buffet dining; at dinnertime, the restaurant is transformed into a table-service dining room serving Main Dining delights.

If you've been cruising long enough you undoubtedly remember when there was no buffet comparable to what the ships have today. All three meals were taken in the dining room, with fixed seating times (even for breakfast and lunch) and if you missed or didn't want to partake of a meal in the dining room there was at best a very small spread with limited choice available elsewhere, often near the pool (which obviously didn't work out too well if the weather was bad).

As much as I enjoy the flexible meal times with a wide variety of choices in venue and cuisine that is available today, in a way I really miss the old days. (Yes, the dining room food was much, much better.) I suspect I'd be quite willing to try a cruise ship that didn't have the typical buffet.

It is kind of like what they have on Carnival Sunshine. Sunshine has a small buffet area with a few hot entrees, sides and a soup. Then they have the deli, the pizza stand, guys burgers, and the blue iguana. Each of those places is more like a food court stand.

If you've been cruising long enough you undoubtedly remember when there was no buffet comparable to what the ships have today. All three meals were taken in the dining room, with fixed seating times (even for breakfast and lunch) and if you missed or didn't want to partake of a meal in the dining room there was at best a very small spread with limited choice available elsewhere, often near the pool (which obviously didn't work out too well if the weather was bad).

As much as I enjoy the flexible meal times with a wide variety of choices in venue and cuisine that is available today, in a way I really miss the old days. (Yes, the dining room food was much, much better.) I suspect I'd be quite willing to try a cruise ship that didn't have the typical buffet.

As well as the midnight buffet where a WHOLE spread was available ... every single night ... and whole lobster in the dining room on "lobster night". Doesn't even compare today to what we used to have ...

Edited by SissasMomE

As well as the midnight buffet where a WHOLE spread was available ... every single night ... and whole lobster in the dining room on "lobster night". Doesn't even compare today to what we used to have ...

I'm glad they eliminated the midnight buffet...it was as sure fire way to add pounds and inches.

I also remember the midnight buffet being held at 11 pm on a Holland America cruise...talk about rolling up the sidewalks early. We always took the late dinner sitting. You were barely done with dinner when the "midnight an hour early" buffet started. (That didn't seem to deter us from going. :D )

Or, said another way. We are changing the name from buffet to food court. And, dressing it up a little.

"To be known as The Pantry, the new area will offer a variety of food outlets including a gourmet delicatessen, fresh fish and chips and modern cuisine restaurants. Guests will able to enjoy their meals in a setting featuring high tables, communal benches and comfortable banquettes."

So, essentially, food stations, which is what it seems most have now, anyway, to one degree or another.

The only thing about the description that annoys me is the "high tables". I am SO over them! I'm short and getting older and really prefer to sit down instead of having to climb up.

Them's fighting words to the current generation of cruiser who won't be told where, with whom, or when to eat -- EVER. I'm surprised the flame-throwers haven't been unleashed on you for such blasphemy. ;)

I, too, remember those rigid old days. The most memorable (and delicious) meals I've ever had were on a pre-Freestyle NCL ship. :D

Given a choice of sitting at a table and having my meal delivered on a plate, as opposed to ladling glop out of a stainless steel trough sitting under a heat lamp, I'll take the plated meal any day. (OK, I know the sides probably sit in the same troughs in the galley, but at least they try to make them look pretty for me. :))

BTW, the delicious "casseroles" found at most buffets are how they try to get more mileage out of yesterday's leftovers before feeding them to the fishes.

Them's fighting words to the current generation of cruiser who won't be told where, with whom, or when to eat -- EVER. I'm surprised the flame-throwers haven't been unleashed on you for such blasphemy. ;)

I, too, remember those rigid old days. The most memorable (and delicious) meals I've ever had were on a pre-Freestyle NCL ship. :D

Given a choice of sitting at a table and having my meal delivered on a plate, as opposed to ladling glop out of a stainless steel trough sitting under a heat lamp, I'll take the plated meal any day. (OK, I know the sides probably sit in the same troughs in the galley, but at least they try to make them look pretty for me. :))

BTW, the delicious "casseroles" found at most buffets are how they try to get more mileage out of yesterday's leftovers before feeding them to the fishes.

Thanks for giving me the perfect afternoon laugh.

From reading the attached article, it sounds like the buffet would basically be broken down into dedicated cuisine stations. I personally see that as a good thing. I'm sure the food will stay fresher, waiting in a long line just to get something 2 sections up, will be eliminated and it would save time walking around looking for what cuisine I want. If I want Fish & Chips, I would just walk over to that counter etc...

That being said, I am NOT a fan of communal benches, counters and high chairs.

Tee

Or, said another way. We are changing the name from buffet to food court. And, dressing it up a little.

"To be known as The Pantry, the new area will offer a variety of food outlets including a gourmet delicatessen, fresh fish and chips and modern cuisine restaurants. Guests will able to enjoy their meals in a setting featuring high tables, communal benches and comfortable banquettes."

Are you saying that p & o is just changing the name of the buffet and tweaking it layout and menu?

So they are not getting rid of the buffet?

So the op just wanted to stir the pot a bit?

Hmmm

Fwiw who really cares what p & o does?

Do Ncl cruisers regularly sail p & o? Lol

Wow, really? I haven't sailed either of the new big ships, but when I sailed Magic some years ago they definitely had buffet for dinner. Too bad that changed. A ship that is kid-heavy needs a buffet for dinner!

Exactly when we sailed the magic in 2004 they had a dinner buffet. Well I thought they did anyway

Dcl is great though with kids in the mdrs. Also they have plutos and pinocchios for fast food on the magic. I assume they are still there?

But they of all ships need a dinner buffet

I remember this vividly! My first cruise was in 1990 aboard Royal Caribbean's Nordic Prince. I was 13 years old. My parents booked us for the early seating, and my sister and I hated having to eat breakfast at 7:30am every sea day...and 7am on port days! Lunch was at 12:00, dinner was at 6:00. The only time there was open seating in the MDR was for lunch on port days. The buffet had limited choices and was open for breakfast and lunch only, as well as light snacks and tea in the mid- to late-afternoon, around 3 or 4pm. It was really just fruit, cookies and tea at that time that were available. The breakfast buffet was pretty small...I don't even remember if they made omelettes or not. The lunch buffet had a few dishes, salad, fruit, and a couple of desserts. They also had a small grill area for burgers and hot dogs. With the exception of the welcome aboard lunch, we ate all our meals in the dining room, but some mornings my sister and I would sleep a little later and get room service breakfast instead of going to the dining room. We were fine with danish and hot chocolate for breakfast!

My sister and I were 13 and 15 at that time, and we enjoyed eating in the dining room. We loved the fancy dinners they had, and we tried some new foods. It was the first time I ever ate escargots and I loved them! They also had a different theme every night for the dinner menu...I remember a welcome aboard dinner, Italian night, Caribbean night, the captain's gala dinner on the second formal night, Oriental night (no, they weren't politically correct and Asian Fusion wasn't really a thing back then), French night on the first formal night, and American night on the last night of the cruise...not in order but pretty good that I remember them! Captain's Gala night was wonderful...with the baked Alaska parade. French night on the first formal night showed us a parade with a dessert called the "Flaming Babaloo", I don't even remember what was in it! The Maître'D would sometimes prepare certain foods table side, like cherries jubilee which I also had for the first time on that cruise. Dining every single night was quite the memorable and special experience.

We also enjoyed the midnight buffets. I remember there being beautiful ice sculptures at the Captain's Gala midnight buffet, they would let guests in an hour early just to take photos. It was absolutely beautiful. Each midnight buffet also had a different theme.

My upcoming cruise on the Breakaway in July will be my 16th cruise. Yes, things have changed very much since then. Yes, I do miss some of the things of the cruises of over 20 years ago. But I love cruising now just as much as I ever did from the moment I walked onto the Nordic Prince in 1990. What I'm grateful for also is that since cruising became so popular, cruise lines have been accommodating families and keeping cruise fares reasonable, making it an affordable vacation for a family of 4 such as us (DH and I are both teachers). We are paying the same amount for our 2 adjoining inside cabins for 4 people as my parents paid for ONE inside cabin for 4 people in July 1990, exactly 25 years before our upcoming cruise on the Breakaway! And for the same itinerary...a 7-night Bermuda cruise! If the price had gone up with inflation, we wouldn't be able to afford cruising today. For that I am very grateful.

I also love being able to make the choice to go to a specialty restaurant for dinner, go to a buffet or a sit-down breakfast or lunch (although I still do prefer the MDR, as does DH), and have a terrific time with my family. :)

(Let's see if I can do this without fat-fingering the keyboard this time!:o)

According to the attached article, P&O Cruises Austrailia is implemeting some new dining innovations...including removing/replacing the traditional cruise buffet.

I'm just wondering what everyone would think if NCL took similar steps and replaced the buffet on their new ships. Could you deal with not having a buffet? What would you rather have in its place?

I'd also point out that they plan to just GIVE the masses a bunch of perks formally available only to suite guests, but that would be a whole different thread! :eek: :rolleyes:

After reading the PDF, it appears that in place of the buffet line, more food venues will offer prepared dishes, and different food selections. It might function like a group of O'Sheehan's that replace the Buffet area. I would also wonder what they might do with the traditional MDR space? It would be an interesting option if a cruise line divided that into more alternative eating venues.

Edited by untailored bostonian

After reading the PDF, it appears that in place of the buffet line, more food venues will offer prepared dishes, and different food selections. It might function like a group of O'Sheehan's that replace the Buffet area. I would also wonder what they might do with the traditional MDR space? It would be an interesting option if a cruise line divided that into more alternative eating venues.

Actually you bring up an interesting concept (at least for me) Personally we tend to eat a lot of our meals in the Buffet (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) If we would like to have a nicer sit down type served dinner we will go to a specialty restaurant. The MDR's are what we tend to avoid. It isn't a knock against the service but eating in the MDR's tends to take longer than we would like. So if the cruise lines wanted to split up the buffets into different types of niche eateries and break up the MDR's into more specialty restaurants that would suit us just fine! :)

Take away the buffet! I also don't like prefondled food. I was on the getaway in august and I walked through buffet once and found it too crowded! The second time we attempted found it again full of people do we just got drinks from the bar and left

Take away the buffet! I also don't like prefondled food. I was on the getaway in august and I walked through buffet once and found it too crowded! The second time we attempted found it again full of people do we just got drinks from the bar and left

I find the buffet to be crowded at times too, but don't take it away! It deters so many people from going to the MDR where we prefer to dine, and it's never crowded there anymore!

Actually you bring up an interesting concept (at least for me) Personally we tend to eat a lot of our meals in the Buffet (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) If we would like to have a nicer sit down type served dinner we will go to a specialty restaurant. The MDR's are what we tend to avoid. It isn't a knock against the service but eating in the MDR's tends to take longer than we would like. So if the cruise lines wanted to split up the buffets into different types of niche eateries and break up the MDR's into more specialty restaurants that would suit us just fine! :)

A cruise line is already set to try this concept. RCI's Quantum of the Seas will completely eliminate the big MDR in favor of 5 or so smaller complimentary venues, each of which has their own set menus and ambiance, steakhouse, Italian, etc. Only one is formal, the rest casual.

A cruise line is already set to try this concept. RCI's Quantum of the Seas will completely eliminate the big MDR in favor of 5 or so smaller complimentary venues, each of which has their own set menus and ambiance, steakhouse, Italian, etc. Only one is formal, the rest casual.

But we're talking about replacing the traditional buffet, not replacing the traditional MDR with a series of smaller restaurants, which is what Royal Caribbean is doing. I believe they're still going to have a buffet on the Quantum.