Now charging for dream works character breakfast?

I was checking on my reservations for my Dec7 FoS cruise and noticed it said $11 for adults for the character breakfast. I was shocked as I never saw that before. Got worried and checked my reservation to see it was still free. Then I found this on their site...

*For reservations made on or after Sept 1, 2014 there will be a $10.00 per person charge for all guests six years of age and older for the DreamWorks Character Breakfast.

That sorta sucks for those with kids over 6...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW....is this new? Did it on Allure back in 2012 and it was free.

Yes, just recently started. No idea if this is true, but someone said people would book multiple reservations and only show for one.

I was checking on my reservations for my Dec7 FoS cruise and noticed it said $11 for adults for the character breakfast.

Much to DW's dismay, if Toothless from "How to Train Your Dragon" was offered I'd happily be forking over my $11.:cool:

Yes, just recently started. No idea if this is true, but someone said people would book multiple reservations and only show for one.

I booked two. I thought it would be SO awesome that we would want the two. Then before the cruise we were sick for 3 weeks. We were able to honestly answer the health questions and got on the cruise; not sick, but absolutely wiped out. We cancelled our first reservation. No, we called to cancel. And they told us not to worry about it, that when we didn't show up they would realize we weren't going to be there.

Any problems they have had in terms of that have been their own fault, since they didn't care about actually cancelling it in the system when people cancelled it.

Then we went to the second one, and it was absolutely ghastly. Worst service I had on the ship (Freedom, late January/early Feb), horrid food. Very very few people in the area cordoned off for it. Only little bitty kids (and my 9 year old), almost all of them too young IMO to have seen Shrek or Kung Fu Panda at all! (seriously, do people watch these movies before letting their *toddlers* see them???) It wasn't worth it when it was free. I cannot even imagine paying for it.

The food was so awful we had to run up to Windjammer afterwards to get some fresh food to actually make us feel that we'd had breakfast!

Edited by mollyeilis

This was announced months ago.

I was checking on my reservations for my Dec7 FoS cruise and noticed it said $11 for adults for the character breakfast. I was shocked as I never saw that before. Got worried and checked my reservation to see it was still free. Then I found this on their site...

*For reservations made on or after Sept 1, 2014 there will be a $10.00 per person charge for all guests six years of age and older for the DreamWorks Character Breakfast.

That sorta sucks for those with kids over 6...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would for Puss in Boots. Hope the chocolate breakfast is free still.

We were on Allure this past summer, and the Chocolate Breakfast was a disappointment. It was free, but it shouldn't be called a chocolate breakfast....it should be called breakfast with a sprinkling of chocolate. It wasn't what I expected....this chocoholic would say 'it could be missed' -- oh that is exactly what happened -- a lot of the chocolate was missing.

Gee...another Disney comparison....magic bands, Dynamic dining, now $$ character breakfasts....wonder what's coming next?

(I have a suspicion, we'll see)

Disney doesn't do dynamic dining. And I don't think they do a for-charge character breakfast (although I'm not sure on that one).

Disney doesn't do dynamic dining. And I don't think they do a for-charge character breakfast (although I'm not sure on that one).

They don't. Everyone gets assigned a character breakfast in their dinning rotation. Disney also has what is called rotational dinning where you rotate among the various dinning rooms and your wait staff rotate with you. Meaning you will always have the same wait staff just in different dinning rooms.

They don't. Everyone gets assigned a character breakfast in their dinning rotation. Disney also has what is called rotational dinning where you rotate among the various dinning rooms and your wait staff rotate with you. Meaning you will always have the same wait staff just in different dinning rooms.

Which is a much better way of doing things than what Royal Caribbean is implementing.

Same table mates too, right?

I booked two. I thought it would be SO awesome that we would want the two. Then before the cruise we were sick for 3 weeks. We were able to honestly answer the health questions and got on the cruise; not sick, but absolutely wiped out. We cancelled our first reservation. No, we called to cancel. And they told us not to worry about it, that when we didn't show up they would realize we weren't going to be there.

Any problems they have had in terms of that have been their own fault, since they didn't care about actually cancelling it in the system when people cancelled it.

Then we went to the second one, and it was absolutely ghastly. Worst service I had on the ship (Freedom, late January/early Feb), horrid food. Very very few people in the area cordoned off for it. Only little bitty kids (and my 9 year old), almost all of them too young IMO to have seen Shrek or Kung Fu Panda at all! (seriously, do people watch these movies before letting their *toddlers* see them???) It wasn't worth it when it was free. I cannot even imagine paying for it.

The food was so awful we had to run up to Windjammer afterwards to get some fresh food to actually make us feel that we'd had breakfast!

Sorry you weren't quite up to par on your cruise, I know that feeling all too well.

I do want to comment about the on board staff reaction to your cancellation. It has been my experience so far that whenever we call to drop or add something while on the ship the response is always like you said - No problem. Whether it is or not.

As far as charging - what I'd been reading on the boards, (never went to a character breakfast or a chocolate breakfast) is there are more adults attending than kids and on some ships and they have to turn away kids. Seems like a way to control the adults. ;)

As far as charging - what I'd been reading on the boards, (never went to a character breakfast or a chocolate breakfast) is there are more adults attending than kids and on some ships and they have to turn away kids. Seems like a way to control the adults. ;)

I think you may be right. We did the breakfast once with our two grandkids, I was surprised at the number of adults there with no children, especially as we had been put on a wait list and told be there by 0745 to see if there would be room. This is not something I would have done (or do again) without kids, my husband said he would not go again, even if the grandkids begged! They would have to beg me quite a bit to go again!:D

I also think it is a way to make a little money!:D

Sherri:)

I have never been to the character breakfast, but want make sure their is no confusion here....the chocolate breakfast has NO charge, it simply is a part of the regular menu. The 'more chocolaty' items in that section of the MDR menu, are not 'so intensely chocolate' to even be put in that special section of a menu....this chocolate fan was very disappointed.