Weekend 'WOW' Sale

I just got an email from RCI offering $50 OBC if you book a cruise in the next 48 hours. Just a quick poll:

If you were on the fence about booking a cruise (probably $1500-$2000 minimum for 2 people), would $50 OBC really push you over the edge to decide to book it? I see these sales all the time and I'm thinking, "Really, that's it?". I book when I feel like I'm getting a good deal and if there happens to be some perks thrown in, great, but I don't think 50 bucks on such an expense would sway me. Maybe that's just me??:confused:

The only good "WOW SALE" was the first couple of days in May!

Exactly. We booked when it started in May and the same cruise, same category cabin is now $400 MORE pp than it was when we booked. WOW look how the prices went up on a SALE??? $50 OBC is the soda card. Won't even buy the premium drink package so it's no incentive if the price is jacked up...which it is.

Edited by griffy116

Exactly. We booked when it started in May and the same cruise, same category cabin is now $400 MORE pp than it was when we booked. WOW look how the prices went up on a SALE??? $50 OBC is the soda card. Won't even buy the premium drink package so it's no incentive if the price is jacked up...which it is.

I had 6 cruises booked and got substantial discounts on 5 of them when I called Royal on May 1st.

Today - All 5 are much higher. One has doubled in price and the rest are $800 plus per cabin higher.

Supply and Demand Works!

The OBC was $100.00 a few days ago. If that didn't push me over the edge I'm quite sure reducing the OBC to $50.00 isn't going to move me much.

Very True

We got an OV on the EN for 4 nights for under $500 with the last WOW and got $50 OBC, I'm okay with that

Even the booking agents at RCCL can't keep this stuff straight!

I texted my TA this morning that one of our cruises had a price drop. It's not leaving until next April, so no "less than 6 months, balcony discount drops by $25", or "cannot be combined with balcony discount", or BOGOHO, didn't qualify for the current weekend WOW sale, or anything. It just had a vanilla price drop.

She had to call them THREE times before she got one to understand that the original booking was with a BOGOHO and an onboard booking obc, but the CURRENT plain ole' rate was $100 per person less than what we paid. The third person finally understood what they were looking at and gave us the price drop.

Edited by pcur

These "sales" are making me crazy. Without logging into my RC account, I put a hold on a cruise early this morning which included the $25 onboard credit. Later, when I logged into my account, it wouldn't let me proceed with actually booking it. I spent a half hour on the phone with RC, and they were able to get my number in, and I paid for the cruise. I got a $4 discount with my C&A number. I just called to confirm that my onboard credit was still there. It wasn't. They said the two day sale wasn't combinable with the C&A discount. I asked them to take away the $4 discount (which was automatically applied because I was logged in) and add my credit back. I had checked the website, and the credit was still available as long as I didn't log in. They couldn't seem to understand that I thought it was illogical to have to take the $4 discount and be denied the $25 credit because I'm a crown and anchor member. I want my crown and anchor number on the reservation so that I get the onboard benefits and cruise credits. Eventually she said she'd add the $25 credit to the reservation, but she didn't seem too happy about it. I booked an inside guarantee. I'm feeling confident I'm going to be getting the worst room on the ship. :(

These "sales" are making me crazy. Without logging into my RC account, I put a hold on a cruise early this morning which included the $25 onboard credit. Later, when I logged into my account, it wouldn't let me proceed with actually booking it. I spent a half hour on the phone with RC, and they were able to get my number in, and I paid for the cruise. I got a $4 discount with my C&A number. I just called to confirm that my onboard credit was still there. It wasn't. They said the two day sale wasn't combinable with the C&A discount. I asked them to take away the $4 discount (which was automatically applied because I was logged in) and add my credit back. I had checked the website, and the credit was still available as long as I didn't log in. They couldn't seem to understand that I thought it was illogical to have to take the $4 discount and be denied the $25 credit because I'm a crown and anchor member. I want my crown and anchor number on the reservation so that I get the onboard benefits and cruise credits. Eventually she said she'd add the $25 credit to the reservation, but she didn't seem too happy about it. I booked an inside guarantee. I'm feeling confident I'm going to be getting the worst room on the ship. :(

I feel your pain: literally. Today was the third time I've tried since late March to get a price drop on this same cruise. The first time my TA was told I would lose my obc. (How can you "lose" an obc for booking onboard a ship? That's got nothing to do with the pricing, but the first attempt hit on something that wasn't combinable with an onboard booking.)

The second time the price couldn't be combined with a C&A balcony discount.

Today was the third time, and they finally gave me this one. I told my TA I was sorry she had to go to so much time and trouble on the weekend. She said it was fine: she LOVES busting RCCL about their crazy rules!!

Edited by pcur

I told my TA I was sorry she had to go to so much time and trouble on the weekend. She said it was fine: she LOVES busting RCCL about their crazy rules!!

Good job Peggy! I'm glad you were able to receive it.

Ah, Patti, I am sooooo tired of playing price roulette with RCCL.

By the way, I'm going to be you-know-where next week. Just in case :D

I'm sorry we will miss you, we are leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow. :(:D

Hi

I'm already booked on a cruise that qualifies for the weekend WOW sale and I see a rate for a better cabin that is lower than my current rate. I would like to use this rate to upgrade my cabin.

Of course this is a sale "for new bookings only".

But it is not clear for me if the "wow sale" is just the $50 OBC that they are offering, or if the base rate is also lower than the "regular rate". (Is there any way to see the current "regular rate" online?)

So the question is if I use this rate without the $50 OBC as a "regular rate" to upgrade my booking? Or if I can reasonably hope that on Monday the $50 OBC will disappear but the rate will stay the same?

Because I am booked through a TA, it is difficult for me to just call RC and try to get the upgrade myself. And my TA is out until Monday, so the sale will probably be over anyway by the time he is able to call. (I could push him to call on the weekend if I was 100% sure that it really absolutely necessary.) I made a "24-hour courtesy hold" on the cabin I want at the current price in case it will help me. (I know I will need to remove the hold before the TA can upgrade me to that cabin.)

Thanks for your advice,

Ron

I feel your pain: literally. Today was the third time I've tried since late March to get a price drop on this same cruise. The first time my TA was told I would lose my obc. (How can you "lose" an obc for booking onboard a ship? That's got nothing to do with the pricing, but the first attempt hit on something that wasn't combinable with an onboard booking.)

The second time the price couldn't be combined with a C&A balcony discount.

Today was the third time, and they finally gave me this one. I told my TA I was sorry she had to go to so much time and trouble on the weekend. She said it was fine: she LOVES busting RCCL about their crazy rules!!

The problem is that the folks who make the crazy rules are either comfortably in bed or on the golf course and the employees who have to deal with the rules have no ability to change or fix them.

Edited by Ocean Boy