AT&T and Regal Princess - Cell Service Question

TWA4Ever

We are on the Jan 11 Regal to eastern caribbean. Though I know there will be a ton of responses stating something like "you're on vacation - turn the damn things off!" Unfortunately, due to family obligations, we can not. So here is the question. I know that cell service is available on Regal; I also know that unless being very careful, the cell bill can be larger than the cruise fare!

Does anyone know if AT&T has any type of cruise plan? This is just for talk minutes; we have no interest in text or data (we do not have "smartphones"). And yes, we know USVI is the same as being at home. It is Princess Cays and St. Maartens (besides sea time) we are most concerned about.

I have gone through the postings and have only found answers from a few years ago (which, due to both technology and plan changes are, we're sure, moot).

Has anyone used a AT&T plan onboard?

There is cellular available on the ship. Without a smartphone and ability to text or email, the cost to make calls is $2.49/minute plus roaming charges. AT&T doesn't have an international plan that would give you a flat rate or "X" number of minutes. You have to make sure your phone is capable of making international calls in the first place. https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/plans/international.jsp

With International roaming turned on (no cost), calls sent or received will cost $2.50/minute with all calls rounded up to the minute. If you get a call that was a wrong number for example and you talk for a few seconds, you will be billed $2.50. I understand the need for the phone, but be aware you might have a really nasty AT&T bill waiting for you when you get back home. I have an AT&T smart phone but keep it off when on the ship or in an international port.

In general the ship leaves international waters when it comes within 12 miles of a foreign coastline. At that time the ship by international law has to turn off its cell tower and you will be using the cell towers in that country and paying the international roaming fee for use in that country which may be less than $2.50/minute. I checked Bermuda and St Marteen and both are $2.50/minute.

I have AT&T and recently purchased an international calling plan for my recent Grand Asia cruise. The AT&T person I spoke with assured me that the international calling plan would include calls made while on a Princess ship.

NOT.

When I got home, international calls made while in port fell within the international calling plan. Calls made while on the ship's cellular were charged to me at $2.50 per minute.

Princess has no plan with AT&T. Royal Caribbean does.

We use AT&T Wireless and I just did my research yesterday for our cruise in less than two weeks.

They have some new international plans and IMHO they are much easier and better than their old system. They are pretty easy to understand.

One set of three 'stepped' options is geared toward holiday travelers as it can be enabled on a day you specify and expires 30 days later (i.e. you don't have to remember to turn it off when you get back home). Basically you get a roaming data allowance, unlimited texting and messaging and a discounted fixed voice rate. The data allowance and voice discount increases with each option step. I don't use that much data (but I do use some) so I calculated the break-even only on the voice discounts. First break point is at one hour of voice usage (that means you get a better deal with the second step if you talk more than an hour) and the second break point is at four hours and 40 minutes.

All that said, like a previous poster mentioned, they still don't have an arrangement with Princess. We'll still be turning off our data at sea and carefully screening any incoming calls.

They do cover over 150 countries but not all. If you're doing anything exotic, it would be worth it to check the list.

It's been awhile since I have cruised. I always get the international rate and add text for emergency purposes. I have never had a problem with ATT. I GO INTO my local store where I have a relationship and discuss what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the Jan 11 Regal to eastern caribbean. Though I know there will be a ton of responses stating something like "you're on vacation - turn the damn things off!"

Those posts are always helpful!

Folks I know on ships frequently call me with Viber.

It's an app that does voice-over-ip, sort of like voice only skype.

You can use this on the ship internet connection, so the charges

are quite a bit less than cell-voice.

If the person you are calling has Viber installed on their phone

or desktop, the service is free.

You can also purchase minutes within Viber, and call to any phone.

(I have never personally done this part)

You can all message with Viber (like texting or SMS).

You can easily (and for free) try viber at home, and see if it might

work for you.

Edited by pablo222

We use AT&T Wireless and I just did my research yesterday for our cruise in less than two weeks.

They have some new international plans and IMHO they are much easier and better than their old system. They are pretty easy to understand.

One set of three 'stepped' options is geared toward holiday travelers as it can be enabled on a day you specify and expires 30 days later (i.e. you don't have to remember to turn it off when you get back home). Basically you get a roaming data allowance, unlimited texting and messaging and a discounted fixed voice rate. The data allowance and voice discount increases with each option step. I don't use that much data (but I do use some) so I calculated the break-even only on the voice discounts. First break point is at one hour of voice usage (that means you get a better deal with the second step if you talk more than an hour) and the second break point is at four hours and 40 minutes.

All that said, like a previous poster mentioned, they still don't have an arrangement with Princess. We'll still be turning off our data at sea and carefully screening any incoming calls.

They do cover over 150 countries but not all. If you're doing anything exotic, it would be worth it to check the list.

I was just finished looking at the att site trying to decide what package to get. So I have a question about the unlimited texting. In order to do that I have to leave roaming on, correct? Now does the unlimited apply to onshore only or on the ship or both? Usually on the ship I put my phone on airplane mode and keep the wifi on and log on to the ship wifi when I want.

But I would think the text would only work when airplane mode is turned on. But I just want to make sure I know, if the unlimited texts are for in port and on the boat?

Thank you so much in advance.

I was just finished looking at the att site trying to decide what package to get. So I have a question about the unlimited texting. In order to do that I have to leave roaming on, correct? Now does the unlimited apply to onshore only or on the ship or both? Usually on the ship I put my phone on airplane mode and keep the wifi on and log on to the ship wifi when I want.

But I would think the text would only work when airplane mode is turned on. But I just want to make sure I know, if the unlimited texts are for in port and on the boat?

Thank you so much in advance.

It's a little odd. Pure SMS texts do not use data, they use the voice channels. That's why "dumb" phones without data plans support texting. So if by roaming you mean "data roaming", no you don't need data roaming. However, if you're talking about cell roaming, yes you will need it.

AT&T does not have an arrangement with Princess ships (or any CCL ship) so the plan will not cover shipboard use. It will cost you 50 cents to send a text on the ship's system but contrary to a previous post, incoming texts on AT&T are free. In ports are where the unlimited texts come into play, not on the ship.

Technically, Airplane Mode means ALL the radio capabilities of your phone are turned off. That means any voice, wifi and bluetooth capabilities are deactivated. You can then selectively turn on the wifi if you wish but that isn't the normal channel for texting. Some Apple products can send iMessages via wifi which look and feel like texts, but they really aren't.

Personally we turn off all data when the ship leaves port but leave the cellular capabilities on. We can still receive texts for free that way and respond if required. You have to be careful about incoming calls as they are charged at the ship's rates. We change our voice mail greeting to tell people we have limited service and sending and e-mail or a text is better, don't leave a voice mail.

• 1 year later...

I am traveling 9/24/16 to New England on Princess Regal. I have AT&T and am desperate to know if I will get service at sea at any cost. AT&T does not have an agreement with maritime on Regal. Still wonder will I have service or not. Have heard: yes at $2.50/minute and have heard: No, no chance at all. I too must be in contact with home. Extenuating circumstances. Thank you for your help!!!

Hi,

If you can, get a T-mobile sim card from a friend who has t-mobile service. T-mobile has free international roaming and data in most countries. I borrowed one from a friend and used it for our Caribbean Cruise and Baltics/Russia cruise this year. I just paid my friend the $20 for the sim card. He already had an extra unused line. Even if your friend does not it costs only $20-$30 for an extra line for one month. Make sure your phone is unlocked before using the sim card.

I am traveling 9/24/16 to New England on Princess Regal. I have AT&T and am desperate to know if I will get service at sea at any cost. AT&T does not have an agreement with maritime on Regal. Still wonder will I have service or not. Have heard: yes at $2.50/minute and have heard: No, no chance at all. I too must be in contact with home. Extenuating circumstances. Thank you for your help!!!

It could depend on what phone you have, but I have an iPhone with AT&T and it will work just fine on the ship. It will be $2.50 a minute for incoming and outgoing calls.

IMPORTANT: You must get international roaming enabled by AT&T. It's free, but it has to be activated. I assume this is to avoid unknowingly making international plans.

Then there are tiered plans (they start at $30 for 30 days) that give you a limited amount of data, unlimited text, and cheaper per minute phone rates when on land (Calls from the ship are $2.50 per minute regardless of if you have a roaming plan).

Hope that helps.

I just went to AT&T's website because I'm also going to Canada/NE and have AT&T, and just curious. I know I can use my phone when we're in the US ports so for me that's enough. I simply will turn my phone completely off when on the ship or in Canada.

But since you need your phone, there appear to be multiple plans that you can activate for 30 days for a flat rate (from $40 to $120). Each one has unlimited text and charges anywhere from $1 to $.35 per minute for calls. It's call AT&T Passport. There's also something called Unlimited Talk & Text to Canada and Mexico.

Check them out.

Hi,

If you can, get a T-mobile sim card from a friend who has t-mobile service. T-mobile has free international roaming and data in most countries. I borrowed one from a friend and used it for our Caribbean Cruise and Baltics/Russia cruise this year. I just paid my friend the $20 for the sim card. He already had an extra unused line. Even if your friend does not it costs only $20-$30 for an extra line for one month. Make sure your phone is unlocked before using the sim card.

I also have T-mobile. When in port outside the US, I get unlimited data at 2G speeds, calls at 20 cents/min and free text message.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Princess texting APP. Evidently you can make and receive texts onboard a Princess ship with the APP. It then counts against your onboard internet minutes.

On one of our Hawaiian cruises we dined with a realtor who was making all kinds of texts to close deals and to check on escrows etc. He was working out in the middle of the Pacific with literally nothing around. He didn't call anyone. He only texted and evidently it was very affordable.

I don't think you even need to pay your own carrier roaming charges as all the text connections are made through Princess.

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2014/09/Princess-Cruises-Introduces-Free-Mobile-App-Feature-on-Regal-Princess.html#.V-LJpv5lDcs

I believe that the internet manager onboard the ship can help you set it up.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

<EDIT> Doing a little searching here on the Princess forum... Some of the posts indicate that outgoing texts cost $0.50 but incoming ones only cost five cents. I suppose with a few texts back and forth you could get and receive whatever info you need.

Edited by jasmith52

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Princess texting APP. Evidently you can make and receive texts onboard a Princess ship with the APP. It then counts against your onboard internet minutes.

On one of our Hawaiian cruises we dined with a realtor who was making all kinds of texts to close deals and to check on escrows etc. He was working out in the middle of the Pacific with literally nothing around. He didn't call anyone. He only texted and evidently it was very affordable.

I don't think you even need to pay your own carrier roaming charges as all the text connections are made through Princess.

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2014/09/Princess-Cruises-Introduces-Free-Mobile-App-Feature-on-Regal-Princess.html#.V-LJpv5lDcs

I believe that the internet manager onboard the ship can help you set it up.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

<EDIT> Doing a little searching here on the Princess forum... Some of the posts indicate that outgoing texts cost $0.50 but incoming ones only cost five cents. I suppose with a few texts back and forth you could get and receive whatever info you need.

The Princess@Sea Messenger uses the ship's intranet and allows texting only to your cruise mates onboard. Not using the internet, it does not count against your internet minutes.

using cell data is stupidly expensive. if your phones can make calls over wifi, as many modern phones can, then turn of cellar data, turn on wifi, and then buy an internet package for your cruise. it may be somewhat as expensive as just using your phone, but because you pay for the wifi minutes with princess, it's a known value rather than any weird foreign charges.

We are on the Jan 11 Regal to eastern caribbean. Though I know there will be a ton of responses stating something like "you're on vacation - turn the damn things off!" Unfortunately, due to family obligations, we can not. So here is the question. I know that cell service is available on Regal; I also know that unless being very careful, the cell bill can be larger than the cruise fare!

Does anyone know if AT&T has any type of cruise plan? This is just for talk minutes; we have no interest in text or data (we do not have "smartphones"). And yes, we know USVI is the same as being at home. It is Princess Cays and St. Maartens (besides sea time) we are most concerned about.

I have gone through the postings and have only found answers from a few years ago (which, due to both technology and plan changes are, we're sure, moot).

Has anyone used a AT&T plan onboard?

Do you need to be able to be reached 24/7 or do you simply need to place a call at your convenience?

Depending on your phone it may support ATT Wifi calling. This is free of charge and your phone works exactly like it does on the cell network but it's connected to a wifi connection. The issue with this on Princess is their wifi package is by the minute, thus you wouldn't have the option to leave it on all the time, thus my question above.

But that would be the easiest and cheapest option available.

Using the Vonage app over WiFi, all calls back to the US are free. The people you're calling don't need anything special; they answer your calls using their regular phone. I like that my mom can even see it's my number on her Caller ID. She won't pick up if it's some wonky computer-generated number.

Receiving a call for free is a little tougher. We have important calls routed to our land line while we're away. It's through Comcast/Xfinity. Any messages left are emailed to me, along with their transcripts. I can retrieve them using WiFi.