Hurricane not enough for refund under Princess Travel Insurance, cruise credit only

RDC1

I am currently in Honolulu. I was scheduled to fly from Honolulu to Tahiti on Saturday to catch the Pacific Princess on Sunday. Those plans have been impacted by Tropical Storm Ana which is expected to be hurricane strength when it reaches Honolulu on Sunday. The planned flight will probably be canceled.

According to the insurance company that provides Princess platinum coverage. The policy would treat this as a travel delay and be limited to $500 for a flight to catch up to the ship. Does not matter that this is an international flight that only flies once a week and that the fare difference for any other option would cost as more than the cruise fare. It would mean instead of flying from Honolulu to Papeete, would have to fly from Honolulu to LAX and then from LAX to Papeete.

We can get the value back as a cruise credit.

Just thought there might be interest in how travel impacts, even major ones, are handled by insurance.

I take it Honolulu is not your hometown but an intermediate travel stop. If a hurricane strikes your hometown--even months before your cruise--you would be entitled to a refund. That's just the way the policy is written. Not saying that I agree with it of course.

(My story: after Hurricane Wilma struck in 2005 and the college semester was extended a week [i had just started working part time while going back to school full time] I called the insurance and told them to just give me an FCC but they begged me over and over to fill out the forms for a covered reason. In retrospect I should have--this was literally a month before the platinum insurance increased the benefit from 90% to 100% FCC)

Edited by fishywood

Sounds like what you're describing comes under "trip interruption." It's important to read your insurance policy to see what's covered and what isn't. Covered reasons mean you would get a refund. Non-covered reasons and you receive a credit.

I take it Honolulu is not your hometown but an intermediate travel stop. If a hurricane strikes your hometown--even months before your cruise--you would be entitled to a refund. That's just the way the policy is written. Not saying that I agree with it of course.

(My story: after Hurricane Wilma struck in 2005 and the college semester was extended a week [i had just started working part time while going back to school full time] I called the insurance and told them to just give me an FCC but they begged me over and over to fill out the forms for a covered reason. In retrospect I should have--this was literally a month before the platinum insurance increased the benefit from 90% to 100% FCC)

Actually they never even asked the question. Now I might have gotten a different answer if I had said that my home was damaged due to a hurricane, but all I said was that my flight was canceled due to the hurricane and that there was no other flight to Tahiti for 1 week. They did not ask any other questions they just said that it was just a trip delay. I did not give them a name or hometown or anything, just said that I was in Honolulu.

Sounds like what you're describing comes under "trip interruption." It's important to read your insurance policy to see what's covered and what isn't. Covered reasons mean you would get a refund. Non-covered reasons and you receive a credit.

That is how the insurance policy qualified it. As they put it, a canceled flight, was a trip interruption and we could just book another to catch up.

Latest reports are saying it might skim the big island. Your flight may be fine. I'm thinking your flying Hawaiian? They have a plane full of people they need to get back as they only fly once a week. Fingers crossed your flight goes as scheduled.

Latest reports are saying it might skim the big island. Your flight may be fine. I'm thinking your flying Hawaiian? They have a plane full of people they need to get back as they only fly once a week. Fingers crossed your flight goes as scheduled.

We are hoping. The storm unexpectedly weakened a little today when it was forecast to strengthen, so maybe it will change direction. The biggest problem is that current path is supposed to be south of the big island then turn more north. Even a day before the winds at Honolulu are forecast to be tropical storm strength which would be enough to cancel the flight.

We are hoping. The storm unexpectedly weakened a little today when it was forecast to strengthen, so maybe it will change direction. The biggest problem is that current path is supposed to be south of the big island then turn more north. Even a day before the winds at Honolulu are forecast to be tropical storm strength which would be enough to cancel the flight.

Have you checked with the airline? Would they fly a day earlier or later if they cannot fly that day?

Have you checked with the airline? Would they fly a day earlier or later if they cannot fly that day?

Oh yes have been on the phone often. Because it is an international flight they cannot fly it early or later in the week. If it doesn't fly as scheduled, it won't fly until the scheduled time one week later. Could be interesting for those expecting to leave Tahiti this Saturday night as well as for those of us trying to get there.

Oh yes have been on the phone often. Because it is an international flight they cannot fly it early or later in the week. If it doesn't fly as scheduled, it won't fly until the scheduled time one week later. Could be interesting for those expecting to leave Tahiti this Saturday night as well as for those of us trying to get there.

I understand that your insurance will only cover the first $500 of a trip delay, but have you checked with the airline to see what (if anything) they will do for you due to the delay? Or are they considering it a force majeure?

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Bad News: On the Princess policy OP's dilemma is only covered as a trip delay, limited to $500.

Good News: The Princess policy does have any reason cancellation coverage (as credit)

Bad News: On the Princess policy there is no provision to turn a long trip delay into a trip interruption.

Good News: There are several excellent third party policies that convert from trip delay to trip interruption after 12-24 hours of delay; these generally cover costs up to 150 % of full insured costs.

Bad News: They tend to cost more, especially as one ages.

Wish I could end on good news, but....

This is an excellent thread to remind everyone to read their policies; once again we all need to be reminded that travel insurance is for specific, named perils only (not everything that often goes wrong). If one wants coverage for a specific issue (health, weather events, missed connection) PLEASE make certain you are purchasing a policy that covers THAT event. Thanks again to the OP for bringing this up.

Great thread. I called and talked to them last year about if a hurricane was coming at our hometown and they said unless it hit first and your primary residence was effected then you need to be on the cruise. UNLESS you were in an evacuation area. Not sure which insurance this was - third party or Princess. Think it was third party. Was thinking about Hurricane Ike or Katrina where so many lost their cars as they boarded a couple of days ahead for Katrina and I think only 1 day ahead of Ike??

Edited by Mekamax

I find cruiseline policies are generally inferior to other third party insurance companies such as travel#%%%#. They may cost more but the coverage is far superior.
It all depends on a number of variables including age, the reason, whether you need to stay in a port for a period of time, etc. No insurance is perfect or covers everything better than another insurance. For instance, if your sailing companion gets sick on a cruise and is in the hospital for a period of time, most independent insurance policies will cover your expenses to stay in the area for maybe five days. If it's longer, your expenses won't be covered. In our case, we stayed in FLL for a month while my BIL was in the ICU. The Princess insurance paid for almost all of our hotel expenses.

Insurance is a gamble or hedge in case something goes wrong. If you knew what the reason would be in advance, then you could choose the "best" insurance accordingly. But that's not real life and ain't gonna happen. :)

The bottom line is to know what you're buying and decide which insurance is best for you, no matter what anyone else says.

In addition to cruise insurance, we also have an annual policy with MedJet Assist. :)

:) Pam

Edited by Pam in CA

I find cruiseline policies are generally inferior to other third party insurance companies such as travel#%%%#. They may cost more but the coverage is far superior.

I agree. I find Princess insurance lacking compared to other insurance policies. Their medical coverage is horrible.

To RDC1 - Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

It all depends on a number of variables including age, the reason, whether you need to stay in a port for a period of time, etc. No insurance is perfect or covers everything better than another insurance. For instance, if your sailing companion gets sick on a cruise and is in the hospital for a period of time, most independent insurance policies will cover your expenses to stay in the area for maybe five days. If it's longer, your expenses won't be covered. In our case, we stayed in FLL for a month while my BIL was in the ICU. The Princess insurance paid for almost all of our hotel expenses.

Insurance is a gamble or hedge in case something goes wrong. If you knew what the reason would be in advance, then you could choose the "best" insurance accordingly. But that's not real life and ain't gonna happen. :)

It may cover hotels fine but for medical it is very limited! I would hate to get sick and count on this for coverage. Especially if you are serious and can't be flown home with MedJet Assist. $10,000 and $20,000 medical coverage (depending on the level) won't cover someone for more than a day if something serious is happening.

I would rather pick up a few days in a hotel than $50,000 in medical at a foreign hospital.

Again, you need to be medically stable to travel for MedJet to kick in. I am a fan of that coverage but it still doesn't make up for inferior Princess insurance.

Edited by Coral

For you insurance experts out there. I purchased Princess insurance for our upcoming trip. I used our frequent flyer miles to get from our state to LAX. I used Princess air from LAX to Tahiti. If for some reason my flight to LAX is interrupted does that mean Princess will not pay for any insurance if I miss my flight from LAX to Tahiti? If so, then I might consider cancelling Princess insurance and going on my own. Cruise is 3 weeks away, is that to short of time to get another insurance ?

I agree. I find Princess insurance lacking compared to other insurance policies. Their medical coverage is horrible...

I've purchased the Princess insurance for the generous cancel-for-any-reason portion of the policy, and backed it up with a Travel*#@%& policy for the higher medical limits and pre-existing conditions waiver if purchased promptly after booking.

I have done Princess insurance only on a 4-nighter staying close to home, but do think their medical limits are way too low for international travel if your primary medical insurance doesn't provide coverage outside the US.

I definitely agree with Pam in CA about MedJet Assist. Great product!

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

...Cruise is 3 weeks away, is that to short of time to get another insurance ?

I can't speak to your question about your flights, but can tell you that many third-party insurers will only waive pre-existing conditions for medical if their policies are purchased within 14 or so days after booking your trip. Other than that, I believe you can purchase other insurance on short notice.

I am told some TAs have special arrangements with insurers that provide pre-existing coverage without that time limitation. So if you used a TA, you might ask.

Ana is supposed to pick up to a Hurricane today. Latest track has it skimming the Leeward shore of Oahu on sat, then slamming into Kauai. Ocean temps are warm over it's track.

My patio furniture is in the house, and anything that can become a projectile is lashed down. I live on the south shore and hoping the best. I'm catching a 2:45 flight to LAX today for my cruise on Monday on the Grand.

I have the Princess insurance and if my home suffers any major damage will cancel my cruise.

Thank-You for this thread, as I will now look at a refund rather than a credit if god forbid Ana hits.

Mahalo, Tim

For you insurance experts out there. I purchased Princess insurance for our upcoming trip. I used our frequent flyer miles to get from our state to LAX. I used Princess air from LAX to Tahiti. If for some reason my flight to LAX is interrupted does that mean Princess will not pay for any insurance if I miss my flight from LAX to Tahiti? If so, then I might consider cancelling Princess insurance and going on my own. Cruise is 3 weeks away, is that to short of time to get another insurance ?

At three weeks prior, your Princess insurance is paid for so canceling will only cost you money. Your coverage starts in LA, not in your home state. Missing your outbound LAX flight may or may not be covered, depending on why you miss the flight. If you don't get there on time to take the flight, that is on you. If the flight from LAX to Tahiti is delayed or cancelled, then you have Princess Air next port protection. You would have to decide whether to join the ship late or cancel completely (prior to ship departure) and take the credit.

Ana is supposed to pick up to a Hurricane today. Latest track has it skimming the Leeward shore of Oahu on sat, then slamming into Kauai. Ocean temps are warm over it's track.

My patio furniture is in the house, and anything that can become a projectile is lashed down. I live on the south shore and hoping the best. I'm catching a 2:45 flight to LAX today for my cruise on Monday on the Grand.

I have the Princess insurance and if my home suffers any major damage will cancel my cruise.

Thank-You for this thread, as I will now look at a refund rather than a credit if god forbid Ana hits.

Mahalo, Tim

The latest I have seen it going south of the Big Island on early Saturday morning , close to Maui Saturday evening. Not sure how it will be impacting Honolulu airport Saturday afternoon.