Ordering off MDR menu in Blu

h2odad

I've searched the boards but could't find an answer for this.

When dinning in Blu, can one order off the MDR menu ?

Thanks

There have been mixed answers on this. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

We have an upcoming cruise in Aqua Class (first time) and it certainly is something I have been curious about too. Here is what I have determined.

1- Check the Nightly Menues... They are posted outside each venue in the Afternoon

2- Ask Questions of your Server / Maitre D about what can be done

3- Blu Maitre D usually can make arrangements with the MDR Maitre D if you wish to eat there for the evening (you will be in the Select Section). But it does depend on availability

4- If you are on an M-Class Ship which has one Galley that serves both MDR & Blu, and Blu DR has been "carved out" of what used to be MDR territory, it is easier for Wait Staff to get food from both... In these cases, the Waiter in Blu usually has a MDR Menu he can hand you to order from (ideal if one in the party wants Blu food & one wants MDR food)

5- Otherwise, or if you are on an S-Ship it might be best to choose one venu or the other.

6- Not impressed with Blu at all ? Then again the Maitre D can work a permanent switch for you

7- Remember that there are also other Evening Dining Alternatives... Oceanview Buffet - Specialty Bistros & Restaurants - and Room Service. The latter not as bad as it sounds... As you can order from the MDR menu and enjoy a meal alfresco on your balcony (if you have one)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

I've searched the boards but could't find an answer for this.

When dinning in Blu, can one order off the MDR menu ?

Thanks

I would say the answer is no meaning you cannot go into the Blu and ask for a MDR menu to place an order. If there is something in particular that is not offered on the Blu menu you should be able to request it. I have done this several times with escargot.

I have also never seen a Blu menu in the MDR for ordering.

I would think either would be a logistical nightmare especially on the Solstice Class ships.

Escargot are part of the "anytime" Blu menu, other appetizers were the onion soup, Caesar salad, and shrimp cocktail.

You can also get a New York Strip steak, grilled salmon, and chicken breast at any time.

Honestly, if you've looked at the menus and like what the MDR offers more than Blu, it's not worth it for you to spend the upcharge to stay in AQ. If it's a one-time thing maybe that night ask to eat in the MDR. We talked to our servers and the AQ part of the kitchen is separate from the MDR (M class), so while they will be willing to do whatever you want, I'm sure, it's not *that* simple a thing for them. Remember, the MDR waiters have to line up to get their food, they are not going to be happy to let a Blu waiter just waltz in and take what they need, so by making these special requests you are disrupting the flow of the Blu dining room, although they would never make you feel that way.

Edited by warmwinds

Escargot are part of the "anytime" Blu menu, other appetizers were the onion soup, Caesar salad, and shrimp cocktail.

You can also get a New York Strip steak, grilled salmon, and chicken breast at any time.

Honestly, if you've looked at the menus and like what the MDR offers more than Blu, it's not worth it for you to spend the upcharge to stay in AQ. If it's a one-time thing maybe that night ask to eat in the MDR. We talked to our servers and the AQ part of the kitchen is separate from the MDR (M class), so while they will be willing to do whatever you want, I'm sure, it's not *that* simple a thing for them. Remember, the MDR waiters have to line up to get their food, they are not going to be happy to let a Blu waiter just waltz in and take what they need, so by making these special requests you are disrupting the flow of the Blu dining room, although they would never make you feel that way.

Are you sure about Escargot being on the Blu anytime menu? It was not on the Reflection last November. I know it is on the everyday side of the menu in the MDR.

What ship/cruise were you on?

Summit, first Canada cruise this year (Sept. 7) - I got the escargot twice in Blu.

Clarification: the 4 anytime appetizers are not printed on the Blu menu, but we were told the first night by our waiter (without us asking) that they are available any time.

Edited by warmwinds

Escargot etc, etc that you mentioned were all on the anytime section of the main MDR menu on our cruise on Constellation last week. I know because I mainly ate from that side of the menu 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are you sure about Escargot being on the Blu anytime menu? It was not on the Reflection last November. I know it is on the everyday side of the menu in the MDR.

What ship/cruise were you on?

We were on Reflection in May, and escargot, onion soup and caesar salad were available every night. I don't think it was printed on the menu but our waiter told us on the first night, and we ordered them several times. Shrimp cocktail was there also.

Edited by cynbar

cynbar, exactly our experience.

I'll tell you all another Blu secret (probably not a secret, I'm sure most know). Every egg dish comes with sautéed fingerling potatoes and asparagus. Well, that's ok once in a while, but not our "norm". Table next to us ordered hash browns (the same crispy squares you can get at the buffet). We love those and it didn't seem to be a problem to get them whenever we wanted to for breakfast (I think, since most people do not go to the MDR for breakfast, that it is not a big deal for the waiters to get them).

Another Blu secret (again maybe not) - we love vegetables (although not asparagus for breakfast EVERY DAY) - and we thought, surprisingly, that side vegetables were very light on the Blu entrees - so we were also told you can get broccoli, carrots, green beans, asparagus added to your entrée whenever you ask. Or sometimes we even ordered the vegetarian entrée to share (at the waiter's suggestion) as a side dish.

I think it depends....

dh really likes creme brulee...not on BLU menu every night...but it was provided for him every night. And I always order double veggies and sometimes order a salad appetizer as a main course...they are very flexibke

also observed a very senior guest wishing for chicken soup with her dinner...they asked her if she would not mind a wait for it, which she did not , and they did get it...no idea from where,,,

Now that they may be busier with fewer staff they may not be able to fulfill all wishes, but they certainly try! That said we can usually find something to enjoy each night we dine in BLU..

Edited by hcat

I believe crème brulee WAS one of the "anytime" desserts - along with cheesecake (with 3 different sauces), chocolate cake, apple pie...

I think I've figured it out - we were on Summit, which tends to be the innovative, let's try this out ship (expanded Bistro on 5 menu, baskets in the buffet, Blu for embarkation lunch (although we did not have that), etc.) - so maybe our experience was not the same as everyone else's.

I believe crème brulee WAS one of the "anytime" desserts - along with cheesecake (with 3 different sauces), chocolate cake, apple pie...

I think I've figured it out - we were on Summit, which tends to be the innovative, let's try this out ship (expanded Bistro on 5 menu, baskets in the buffet, Blu for embarkation lunch (although we did not have that), etc.) - so maybe our experience was not the same as everyone else's.

You are correct crème brulee is on the dessert menu every night in Blu. I alternate between apple pie and crème brulee.

Have never seen escargot on the Blu menu but you can ask for it.

I don't think they will let you order off the MDR menu in Blu. They might bring you an occasional item, but often they will tell you no. Crème Brulee was not on the original Blu menu, but is now on all the time. There were a lot of people trying to order it, so I guess they gave up.

We were on Summit in March, and I happen to love the After 8 mint ice cream....available 2nd night, asked if there was any left on day 3, when told no, we asked (somewhat jokingly) if we could have some the next night. Yes, we had it every night after, which was AWESOME. Very nice of them to get some made up for us. We were very appreciative and made note of it in the comment card and with our tips.

There have been mixed answers on this. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

We have an upcoming cruise in Aqua Class (first time) and it certainly is something I have been curious about too. Here is what I have determined.

1- Check the Nightly Menues... They are posted outside each venue in the Afternoon

2- Ask Questions of your Server / Maitre D about what can be done

3- Blu Maitre D usually can make arrangements with the MDR Maitre D if you wish to eat there for the evening (you will be in the Select Section). But it does depend on availability

4- If you are on an M-Class Ship which has one Galley that serves both MDR & Blu, and Blu DR has been "carved out" of what used to be MDR territory, it is easier for Wait Staff to get food from both... In these cases, the Waiter in Blu usually has a MDR Menu he can hand you to order from (ideal if one in the party wants Blu food & one wants MDR food)

5- Otherwise, or if you are on an S-Ship it might be best to choose one venu or the other.

6- Not impressed with Blu at all ? Then again the Maitre D can work a permanent switch for you

7- Remember that there are also other Evening Dining Alternatives... Oceanview Buffet - Specialty Bistros & Restaurants - and Room Service. The latter not as bad as it sounds... As you can order from the MDR menu and enjoy a meal alfresco on your balcony (if you have one)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

I am not sure which ship you are in but recently in Blu on Summit we were advised it was not possible - we did manage a compromise due to a pre notified allergy that dishes could be arranged to be got from the MDR menu with 24 hours notice. Menus were not routinely available though

You are correct crème brulee is on the dessert menu every night in Blu. I alternate between apple pie and crème brulee.

Have never seen escargot on the Blu menu but you can ask for it.

Escargot and French Onion soup are on the anytime menu but after the first night they don't include the anytime items on the menu other than the mains, so do not forget to ask your server if you have forgotten the range

I did enjoy several escargot nights recently.

I also love Blus chocolate cake that is on each day, it is so moist and mmmm

I think it depends....

dh really likes creme brulee...not on BLU menu every night...but it was provided for him every night. And I always order double veggies and sometimes order a salad appetizer as a main course...they are very flexibke

also observed a very senior guest wishing for chicken soup with her dinner...they asked her if she would not mind a wait for it, which she did not , and they did get it...no idea from where,,,

Now that they may be busier with fewer staff they may not be able to fulfill all wishes, but they certainly try! That said we can usually find something to enjoy each night we dine in BLU..

Creme brulee always available in MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Had a long chat with the maitre d' on Solstice about this subject. He said you MAY be able to prearrange something from one of the other kitchens, but it must be arranged the day before.

Why? The galleys aren't close together. There are health risks involved with transporting across the ship.

If you want a dish from the MDR, just eat in select dining that evening. Much easier than expecting the busy staff at Blu to run across the ship for you.

Edited by JanineM

They should simply not allow it.

If you don't like what is offered at all that night, you have many alternatives of other restaurants, even as far as room service which will deliver the MDR dishes you want.

It also opens a huge can of worms - someone next to you says "what's that, I didn't see it on the menu" - you say "it's from the MDR menu", and next thing you know many people want to do the same thing.

If you don't like what is offered at all that night, you have many alternatives of other restaurants, even as far as room service which will deliver the MDR dishes you want.

It also opens a huge can of worms - someone next to you says "what's that, I didn't see it on the menu" - you say "it's from the MDR menu", and next thing you know many people want to do the same thing.

That pendulum swings both ways when the wait staff in the MDR caters to individual tastes and likes in that venue for an item that is not on the evenings menu.

In general, I agree, we were only needing the MDR menu one night to overcome a dietary restriction which we always sort out advance of the evening.

I do agree too many are asking for off menu favours in all the dining venues. Often the waiter agrees (possibly seeing this as a way to an extra tip) but our experiences have been that adjacent tables suffer as the waiter and his assistant have to spend more time sorting out the extras.