Celebrity or Royal suite?

Number34

Last cruise we sailed in a Celebrity suite on Infinity. Got the 123 offer so chose the classic beverage package and the free gratuities. Upgraded to the premium package and when we got on board we bought the ultimate dining package, For 11 days the extra cost was around $900.

Now considering next years cruise on Eclipse and having difficulty comparing the prices of a Celebrity versus Royal suite as the latter will now include premium package and unlimited speciality dining as well as free internet minutes etc due to the introduction of suite class. If I took the 123 offer of free gratuities and $300 OBC I still cannot decide whether the extra £1600/$2600 for booking a Royal is worth it.

Has anyone out there done the math?

Using just the numbers for the specialty dining costs and the drink packages for two people, I get $2226.40 as the value for both on an 11 night cruise. I'm not sure the internet packages costs, so I can't help you with that part of your question specifically, but is it's $375, then you will literally break even.

Of course, all that said, that is just the rough dollars and cents of it all. What is the larger balcony and the extra space/design of the suite worth to you? Are the amenities even ones you would purchase?

Either way, you really can't lose here! ;)

Edited by Classynfun1

Have not done the math... Or sailed in a Suite

But when we were on The Solstice, we were on Suite Row (Sky Deck = Deck 10) in a Concierge C2 ... There was a Royal Suite next door (1118) and from what I could see of their balcony discreetly / politely, their set up was awesome. 158 Sq Feet of Balcony (triple wide) about 1/3 of the total flat part of "the hump". They had a Dining Table & Chairs, Loungers and of course their outdoor jetted tub.

Did not take any photos obviously... But here is one I found on Google for this class of cabin on the Eclipse

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35me9sw&s=6#.VEVVf_F5mSM

Midship, on "the hump" and also sharing "the point" with us, so no doubt they could see the same wide view that we had... Up, Down, Out... And the whole swervey shape of the ship from one end to the other, fore & aft.

if you can swing it dollar wise... I would certainly consider it. Cause that was one prime piece of real estate

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

ps... If you are not that familiar with S Class Suites, you might find this very comprehensive post on the different ones (with photos) by CRUISETRAIL informative

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751328

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Last cruise we sailed in a Celebrity suite on Infinity. Got the 123 offer so chose the classic beverage package and the free gratuities. Upgraded to the premium package and when we got on board we bought the ultimate dining package, For 11 days the extra cost was around $900.

Now considering next years cruise on Eclipse and having difficulty comparing the prices of a Celebrity versus Royal suite as the latter will now include premium package and unlimited speciality dining as well as free internet minutes etc due to the introduction of suite class. If I took the 123 offer of free gratuities and $300 OBC I still cannot decide whether the extra £1600/$2600 for booking a Royal is worth it.

A little off topic :o, but wasn't that Celebrity suite on Infinity just wonderful :D? Pity I won't be able to check out whichever suite you decide to take on Eclipse :p!

I've sailed a variety of suites on X on both M and S class.

On M class (infinity) I prefer the Celebrirty suite. On S Class (Eclipse) I prefer the Royal suite.

On S class, specifically for me the dining table in cabin makes the royal worth it (only a coffee table in the celebrity suite, where on M class there is a dining table in the cabin). The whirlpool was fun the first time or 2, but doesn't factor into my decision making any longer. I also prefer a proper stand-alone shower, which starts with the Royal's.

On M class, there is very little difference to me other than the whirlpool on the veranda and the size of veranda. On S class they have definitely made the cabins different from each other.

That said, as to economics..

• If you plan on lots of specialty dining, figure that adds value of $50 per person per day (not sure how long your intended cruise is) or more if you take advantage of some for lunches.
  • If you do drink premium beverages, then that's value of $87/person/day including the gratuity.
  • Internet packages, how much will you use? 1680 minutes is value of $429
  • 2 bottles of booze, valued at $80 per bottle if ordered thru the Gifts Program

So I'll assume a 7 day cruise for 2

• Dining $700
  • Beverage $1221
  • Booze $160
  • Internet $429
  • VALUE $2510

Of course, one has to determine that each of these value added perks adds the MSRP amount of value to their trip, perhaps having unlimited specialty dining doesn't translate to 7 nights there, given he Suite ding room is part of the package at no additional charge if one is in the Celebrity Suite. If you don't use the internet, than that $429 is of zero value.

No wonder you are able to afford suites. You get others to do your heavy lifting for you. And you get them to do it for FREE!:D

My Hat's off to you Number34!;)

We have stayed in a RS on Equinox and our next cruise will be in a CS on Eclipse.... We could not justify the difference in the price even with the stated amenities as they will be when our cruise takes place next April. The difference was several thousand dollars.

I think you have to not only calculate the cost of the premium bev package, dinners, internet..etc... but you also have to calculate what YOU would actually use/spend on alcohol, how many times YOU will actually go to spec dining, especially with the new Suite dining room...and the internet, well unless you have need to be online a lot while cruising shouldn't be a huge factor.

For us, at the Elite level of CC, we get a nice internet package, so that's covered. We are pretty much "over" the spec dining, so while we might do it once or twice a cruise we are will be happy in either the Suite dining room, Blu or the MDR, so that's not a huge financial factor either. So it comes down to the alcohol....we just didn't think we would consume enough over the length of a cruise to warrant actually buying the package, now maybe we will find that we are wrong but doubtful, especially for me, just not a big drinker...

So we opted for the CS and am sure we will love it. I do agree with Curt that it's too bad there is not a dining table in the CS but there is a very nice table on the balcony that one can dine at, which most of the time(unless in Alaska or possibly Baltic) would be very pleasant, and we will utilize for the meals we want to have in the suite.

The RS is a lovely suite, no doubt, but the CS is also lovely....it's up to you to figure out which is worth it.....oh and remember in regards to the alcohol, in the CS you WILL have Michael's Club privilege which will get you at least a few free drinks if you visit in the evenings...... another reason we chose to opt for the CS and NO bev. package... Whatever you choose...have a wonderful cruise!!:)

We found the CS to be small and not well laid out...the bedroom was small and cramped

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The bedroom is small, but that's okay, not in there that much anyway. We like the lay out, the fact that it has entrance to bath from both the bedroom and the living area is nice. I guess it's small as compared to the RS or PH but it's spacious compared to any other stateroom....

If you can justify some of the extra benefits I would take the Royal over the celebrity on S class. It's just so much nicer of a suite. Some have said here that the angled celebrity suites give them an edge if you are okay with giving up the whirlpool on the balcony. But the C suite has a cramped feeling to me in comparison.

But depending on the other benefits and price, I would take a royal.

Edited by hulamoon

LOVED the 2 times we booked the RS - once on Solstice and once on Eclipse. both were longer cruises (16 and 14 nights) and the room is AMAZING.

The dining table is great, we had our lunch there frequently and dinner a couple of times. We even had "guests" over, as another couple who we were traveling with also came over.

We also had a cruise critic cabin crawl, with it ending in our room where we had snacks and sparkling wine for everyone (comped by our butler) during the Eclipse cruise.

If I can afford it, that is ALWAYS the way I want to go. It was also nice to have 2 bathrooms (a half bath and full bath)

Just my 2 cents!

Garren

but wasn't that Celebrity suite on Infinity just wonderful :D? Pity I won't be able to check out whichever suite you decide to take on Eclipse :p!

Hi Jenny, it was wonderful and we really liked having the full size table for breakfast which you don't get on the Eclipse.

Sorry we won't be able to meet up next time but I will finally be free of the school holidays so am considering September or October as a retirement present to myself.

Hi Jenny, it was wonderful and we really liked having the full size table for breakfast which you don't get on the Eclipse.

Sorry we won't be able to meet up next time but I will finally be free of the school holidays so am considering September or October as a retirement present to myself.

A perfect gift to oneself :D. I'm so jealous...my time will come, eventually :p.

We're on Equinox twice next year - itineraries and suitable dates resulted in us booking her again for Europe - no hardship ;).

Have a fabulous time on Eclipse in a RS (post the pics on your return, then I can imagine I was there :D).

We've sailed in both RS and CS and my vote would be for RS, and my math on the cruises we're doing brings it close enough to make it worth it to us. It will vary a good deal for each cruise, so on some cruises, we're still considering the CS.

We do use a lot of internet to stay in touch with our businesses at home that we actively manage, though much less so onboard (that's a reason we like to cruise actually, much harder to reach us).

As has been said, you probably won't need or want to dine quite as much in specialty restaurants with the new suite dining room.

I do agree, the S-Class RS is a nicer cabin, especially with the in room dining room table. It's also nice to have in really warm weather, after being outside all-day, to be somewhere a bit cooler.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

RS

I like that the RS has a seperate shower

Hot tubs are really a gimic, and too small to really enjoy (and I'm not a big person 6'1 and 160 lbs), same thing with small bath near front

Dining table and sink/kitchenette area always make me feel like I'm in an efficiency apartment vice a hotel suite

CS

The shower/tub combo is kind of cramped for showering if you are over 5'8" or so

Bedroom/closet space are really good

Like the leisure/living space for entertaining

Balcony has plenty of room and not over crowded

Overall I think the CS better fits my needs as a single traveler, and its a few bucks less, so even better

I think the RS is better suited for families though

Now the Reflection Suite on the other hand WOWSA WOWSA:D

We have an RS booked on the Eclipse for next September and booked it at what has turned out to be a very good price - the ones left are around £1,500 pp dearer than ours. We booked it for a special occasion but the new extras from April certainly made the difference between a CS and a RS not very much. We always get very good value from the drinks package with coffees, water, better wine etc and always use the internet regularly all cruise.

We may not use the speciality restaurants extensively as we find there is just too much food but a couple of free trips to Murano will probably happen. I presume that the free specialities also includes the Bistro - if so we would probably make much more use of that - just being careful what we eat as that was excellent on the last cruise.

The only Celebrity suite we have been in was a Sky at the rear which has the same bath/shower combo.

I rough seas that sort of combo can be outright dangerous. There is not much to hold onto as the ship moves about particularly as it did on our recent Eclipse cruise to the Azores etc. I also felt that I was getting far too close to the shower head for comfort.

It will all come down to £s or $s but the extra space will be handy to store some of the luggage my wife insists on bringing on.