Can I get my laundry returned 'undried'?

cpl100

I would love to be able to get some items laundered while aboard the Silhouette next week. However, I do not dry any of my clothing (shrinkage). Has anyone ever asked or actually accomplished having their laundry returned 'undried'? I don't care if they return it wet and in a pile or if they (better yet) put it on hangers and give it to me wet. Either will work!

Thanks.

(Yes, maybe I am odd about the laundry but I can't be the only one who does not dry their clothes in a machine!)

They may be able to do it but I doubt it (see above post). The reason is that laundry is washed in very large batches, yours along with others, and they would have to fish out your clothes between the wash and dry cycle rather than just transfer all the items.

IIRC, there are also no irons in the rooms, so not sure how line-dried clothes would look (for me the dryer IS my iron :) ) And I don't think the bathroom line is THAT strong to handle more than a couple of bathing suits, underwear, etc, not several wet items on hangers. Not sure how this would work. Maybe just hand wash what you want?

You can also get things dry cleaned.

I can relate -- I hardly use our dryer at home, and shy away from industrial dryers, particularly if someone else is doing the laundry. The high settings are just too hard on cottons and even synthetics.

On our recent cruise we rinsed out our quick-drying "dry-fit" t-shirts and our unmentionables every few days and put them on hangers which we then hung strategically around the cabin. They were dry and stowed away before the steward came in for the nightly turn-down.

At no point did we even consider using an iron, so I don't see why anyone would automatically jump to the conclusion that a guest is intending to put the whole ship in jeopardy.

So where do you hang your undies to dry on the S class??

I bring a travel clothes line. However with the curved shower stall it doesn't work as well as in a square or rectangular shower; can only get 3-4 undies on it.

On your own Clothesline...

See my post on S-Class Storage for solutions

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

Clothesline, Boca Clips & Magnetic Hooks work magic when cruising Celebrity S-Class Ships and take up a lot less space than an often packed over the door shoe sorter (no need for that lots of cupboards in an S-Class Bathroom) :D

Cheers!

Please don't tell me you are bringing an iron......no, no, no. It is way too dangerous and not permitted. You would be putting the entire ship in danger, yikes!

There are cruise lines that do provide irons for use by passengers. So I never really bought into the theory that irons cause ship fires myself.

I do agree Celebrity does prohibit them - and they charge a fee to iron clothes - So I assume it's honestly being more for revenue generation than safety, otherwise the lines that do have irons would be knowingly operating in a dangerous manner.

Curling irons are allowed, and they can be as dangerous, no?

Hanging over the top of the shower stall on a towel...then transfer after dripping to towel rack over a towel...

Bathing suits start over the shower stall then go on back of lounge chairs on balc...they have a nice bar to keep them from blowing away...and no one can see them...

silly they do not have a retractable line!

We use the Elite laundry coupons for one load of whites and one dark.

One of our table mates on our recent Equinox cruise had an interesting comment regarding irons.

Since the use of irons represents a legitimate safety concern, and because full self-serve laundry facilities may take up too much shipboard real estate, why not have one or two rooms dedicated to self-serve ironing, with personnel assigned to monitor the activity? The rooms need not be open around-the-clock, perhaps a few hours during the afternoon lull.

Don't you suppose that they probably also get a small break on their insurance, in addition to the revenue creation, due to the prohibition on irons?

I suppose it's possible....But I wonder likewise on the ships with the glass shows how much more their insurance must be, if there is such a discount for an iron prohibition :D

Also the thought could be there are still irons at work on the ship someplace, so the danger is still present. Many ship fires start in the Laundry room facilities. I haven't seen a report of a fire started by a clothes iron by a guest, though perhaps it has happened.

Many fires start from cigarettes, yet smoking hasn't been completely banned on any ships either. So I tend to think that a larger discount could be had by a smoking prohibition that would save from a known danger moreso than savings from a prohibition on irons that is a hypothetical danger.

I'm a small business owner with 3 stores, and find that insurance is often brought up by people in discussions as a huge burden to businesses and people make lots of assumption on things that, at least in my business, are just imaginary relative to insurance policies.

I realize too that giant companies have different issues....

One of our table mates on our recent Equinox cruise had an interesting comment regarding irons.

Since the use of irons represents a legitimate safety concern, and because full self-serve laundry facilities may take up too much shipboard real estate, why not have one or two rooms dedicated to self-serve ironing, with personnel assigned to monitor the activity? The rooms need not be open around-the-clock, perhaps a few hours during the afternoon lull.

Some lines do just this, but without staff monitors. Irons located in the self-serve laundry for guest use. I believe it's either Disney or Carnival I'm thinking of.

Princess does this, actually they have a self service laundramat and ironing station in each deck. So, it can be done. I love a lot of things about Celebrity but I do miss the laundry rooms ---I love having an iron for touch ups and a washer/dryer setup so I can do a few clothes exactly the way I like them (and no, I don't mind taking a little time out of my vacation, it's better than lugging extra stuff.)

I have several bungee cords (from REI). I can put them together for different lengths needed at the time. They are ideal for use as a temporary clothes line.

We send our clothes to the ship's laundry except the things I don't want put in a dryer. My bungee line does a great job for those hand washables.

I've used the self-serve laundry rooms on Princess -- very handy, and very popular.

If the argument against the facilities is that it would take up too much valuable space, then a smaller room set aside simply for ironing could be a counter-argument.

I dry our smalls, by getting a pool towel, laying the washed items flat on it, rolling the towel lengthwise and then enlisting OHs assistance to twist the towel in opposing directions. This removes most of the water and I then drape the items over the various rails/bars in the bathroom. They're usually dry within a couple of hours. Larger items that I want to look okay, but don't want put through a drier, are put on hangers (we ask our room steward for extra wire hangers) and hung from the back of the loungers on the balcony. Works a treat for us.

Just remember, never leave items unattended on the balcony. Bring them inside if you leave the stateroom.

We take some pegs with us to make sure items are secure on the balcony if we are going to leave the room. Not had a mishap yet:)

There are cruise lines that do provide irons for use by passengers. So I never really bought into the theory that irons cause ship fires myself.

I do agree Celebrity does prohibit them - and they charge a fee to iron clothes - So I assume it's honestly being more for revenue generation than safety, otherwise the lines that do have irons would be knowingly operating in a dangerous manner.

Curling irons are allowed, and they can be as dangerous, no?

P&O provide irons and boards in their mini suites on some ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some lines do just this, but without staff monitors. Irons located in the self-serve laundry for guest use. I believe it's either Disney or Carnival I'm thinking of.

Princess, P&O, Fred Olsen all provide launderettes with washers, dryers and irons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD