Cabin. Do you cruise inside, balcony, suite???

Thrak

We have never done an inside only because I'm a little claustrophobic. We use to always book mini's, primarily because our daughter travelled with us. Now we're happy with balcony cabins. I can't justify the cost of a full suite, therefore will probably never experience one. At the end of the day, as long as you're happy that's all that matters :)

Our first cruise was an inside. We knew nothing about cruising & didn't know if we would like it so it was a relatively short cruise & we could save $$. It was tiny but we didn't stay in it much.

Second cruise was to Alaska & our ta advised us she felt Alaska & the Panama Canal were worth the money for a balcony so we booked a balcony & were upgraded to an aft wrap. Wow, big difference but we still didn't stay in it much.

Several subsequent cruises in OV. Including the Panama Canal in 2013. By then we knew our cruising style & what we are comfortable with.

This spring we booked our longest cruise so far -- 28 days including eastbound & westbound TA. Decided we would go with an inside to save $$ for other things -- shorex, etc. With the tips we have learned from CC we were quite comfortable & now that DH is retired we plan on cruising as often as possible so the $$ need to go farther. All of our cruises next year are in insides.

For the feeling of more space we have the beds split. To see what's going on outside we have the TV set to the bow cam when we are not watching an actual program. The only time that was disorienting was off the coast of Norway this spring when waking at 2:00 AM & it was still light outside.

We have had insides, balconies, minis, Vista Suites, and Penthouse Suites. Our next booking is an Owner's Suite for our 40th anniversary.

There tend to be 2 approaches:

1. Book less expensive cabin as spend just nights there and put the budget toward other activities and/or cruising more often.

2. Book suites to enjoy "the suite life" - larger cabin and balcony, priority boarding, breakfast in Sabatini's, Internet time, free laundry, special treatment all around, etc., etc., etc.

So it's very much like flying - some think first class is nice and worth the money while others think not and opt to spend their $ on other things.

Always did inside cabins then a few times outside cabins but never anything higher. On the Ruby Princess had an ocean view & was upgraded to our first ever balcony which was very nice since we had never experienced that type of cabin. Nice to have a balcony but would be perfectly happy with an inside so we can cruise more often. As others have said, depends on the cost difference from inside to balcony & where the ship will be sailing to.

Someone correct me if I'm confused. Wasn't the Diamond supposed to be named the Golden, but something happened and it was named the Diamond when building it was completed?

So, CrochetCruise, maybe you have heard that, too.

I think I actually read the schedule on the back of the Cruising from AUSTRALIA & ASIA 2014-2016 wrongly! Which would be par for the course with me-limited eyesight (only 10% means qualifies me as a Blind Pensioner) can making reading small print a bit of a challenge. And I never was good at navigation-getting myself hopelessly lost more times than I care to admit to.

Equally, I've found and noted down LOTS of useful information from different threads-stuff I would never have thought of myself, but SO blinding obvious when you read it! Ziplock bags for 1, a clipboard/concertina wallet to control the accumulation of paperwork, both have been noted on my shopping list. I'm trying to buy something small and useful each fortnight for the cruise to s-t-r-e-t-c-h o-u-t the planning and enjoyment. I have a big list of possible assorted souvenirs so allow tailoring of the gift to a person's needs/interests where possible. I've been asked to get a sweatshirt/tshirt, the lady says she'll send money with me and her measurements.

Crochetcruise :cool:

I guess we HAVE to do Obstructed View cabins only.:D

Theo

Sent from my GT-P7510

I think the obstructed OVs are the best deal on the ship, especially thanks to Theo! We always have a great view for a terrific price! Even though I like balconies just fine, I'd rather be out on deck somewhere if there is something I want to see.

But we have been in obstructed OVs, regular OVs, balconies and minis. It all depends on the price for us, and if it's a bucket list itinerary or maybe a special occasion. Then we might spring for a minisuite. If the price was right, I'd also book an inside. I just want to be on a ship, and the type of cabin doesn't matter all that much.

I've sailed in inside all the way up to full suite. The last 2 cruises were in suites. I actually didn't set out to look for a suite but as I was researching prices and comparing ships and itineraries I noticed that I could get a full suite (aft facing) on NCL for the same price as a basic balcony on most other ships. So I booked it. Had the time of my life - loved the perks - NCL treats their suite guests very well.

Then I booked another balcony gty on HAL and weeks before the sailing was offered an upsell to a full suite for only $250 more per person. Again, I jumped at the chance - paid for a full suite at the price of a balcony. We loved that experience as well. Pure gift - and it felt much like we had won an unexpected prize. Normally the suite prices on HAL are really high and would have been far beyond what I could afford. I think we got this deal because it was the first sailing early in the season going to Alaska.

I don't think I would regularly seek out suites - I'm happy with a balcony. What I will not do anymore is sail in an inside cabin. Mostly because I feel rather claustraphobic when there isn't natural light. I also sleep much better when I can have a window open a crack - so it does mean choosing at least a balcony.

Always Inside Cabin i.e. broom closet. We never spend that much time in our cabin anyway.

Let me preface this by saying that we have been on 54 cruises.

We had an inside cabin once way back in 1981. It was an awful experience for us. We missed a port because we slept the entire day away. DH was claustrophobic. I hated needing the lights on to see my hand in front of my face. We quickly came to the conclusion that we don't live in a closet, so why would we vacation in one ever again? We switched to outside cabins after that. We were young and it was all we could afford.

When they came out with the larger ships with balcony cabins we went up to a balcony and never went back to anything less than a balcony. Prices for the balcony cabins were less than we paid for the inside back in 1981, which was $1500 per person on the Oceanic.

Then, in 2000 we booked a suite because it was a steal ($1100 pp) and on that Royal Olympic ship it was the only type of cabin with a balcony. We had the most wonderful butler and fell in love with the suite life and all the perks.

From that point on we have tried to get a suite whenever possible because of the perks that come with a suite. We usually get one even on Carnival ,with no perks to speak of, just because we want the larger space. Our perks on Carnival come from being Diamond.

On RCCL and Princess we will not sail in anything less than a suite. We love breakfast in the specialty restaurants, especially since we don't do buffets. On RCCL we get lunch there on sea days too.

For those who say an inside is fine because they spend no time in the cabin, I say that the better the cabin the more time you spend in it. When you can order room service off the MDR menu, you have more room service. When you have a larger cabin with a larger sitting area, you spend more time there. And when you have a nice big balcony you spend more time out there. When you get a free bar set up (Princess) or have a Concierge Lounge (RCCL) the bar bill is almost nothing. We don't dread the tender ports as much with the priority tendering. We love the free laundry on Princess. We also love all the nibbles sent to the cabin on both lines.

We consider ourselves very fortunate that we are able to afford to cruise like this 3 times a year or more. We started with nothing and have worked hard all our lives and now it is time to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Our first cruise was to Alaska. RT sailing out of SF. We had no idea what cruising was like and I was pretty sure I would hate it. We booked cabin A323 on Sea Princess. High up, far forward, and inside. The cabin was TINY. The interior cabins on Sea Princess are listed as 135 to 148 sq. ft and ours was one of the 135 sq. ft. cabins. For comparison, the same cabin number on Star Princess is listed as 160 sq. ft.

We hit rough seas the first night out and entire next day at sea. I woke up to pitch black and the cabin was moving in about a zillion directions all at once. I get car sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver (which is one of the reasons I was certain I'd hate cruising) but had gone to the doctor for the patch and it worked! I didn't get sick. The next morning people were staggering all over the ship.

About the second day I figured out that I could leave the TV on and tuned to the bridge cam so I could tell when it was day or night. That helped a lot. Despite the tiny room, lack of daylight, lack of fresh air in the room, etc. this cruise hooked me. When we disembarked back in SF I wanted to get right back on the ship.

We've only cruised 3 times so far. The first in that tiny inside cabin, then a 15 day SF/Hawaii in a balcony room (we booked the lowest class of balcony and got a really great upgrade), and then a shortie - 4 days - SF to Vancouver (one way). That one was C752 on Grand Princes which is an aft-facing premium balcony on Caribe deck. This was our favorite so far.

Although we have loved the balcony rooms we are booked into an obstructed view for our upcoming (very soon!) Mexico cruise and we have booked an inside on Coral for a 17 day SF/FLL cruise via the Panama Canal late next year.

Will we miss the balcony on these cruises? Probably. Will we be happy anyway because we are on the ship rather than at work. Most definitely!

We are still amazed that we can cruise at all and will take it as it comes.

We started cruising in obstructed ocean view cabins. Now we have a baby and like having the extra room of a mini-suite. On our last cruise we got a free upgrade to a full suite, and on our upcoming cruise we were offered a full suite for a little more than we had already paid, so we took it.

If I was sailing as just a couple again, I wouldn't be above sailing in an oceanview cabin. Inside cabins look to claustrophobic to me, I need the window.

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean in 1978. We had an "ocean view" room. The ocean view consisted of a small, round porthole and we had to climb up on the top bunk to see out of it. Words cannot describe how tiny this room was but we thought it was heavenly.

Fast forward through 28 years of buying homes, raising children, paying for college, etc. and the next time we cruised was on Princess in 2006. We got a mini suite to celebrate our 30th anniversary and it was wonderful. We have had at least a balcony on every cruise since. The one time we decided to try an inside room just to see what it was like was a one nighter and we were upgraded to a handicap balcony room upon boarding (it was huge!) so we still have yet to try anything but a balcony on Princess.

We LOVE our balcony and spend lots of time on it relaxing and enjoying the ocean view. I know many people feel that it is a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere but that is not the case for us.

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean in 1978. We had an "ocean view" room. The ocean view consisted of a small, round porthole and we had to climb up on the top bunk to see out of it. Words cannot describe how tiny this room was but we thought it was heavenly.

Gosh, I remember those tiny cabins and portholes too! :D

Agree with you ... at the time we thought they were great! :)

LuLu

Gosh, I remember those tiny cabins and portholes too! :D

Agree with you ... at the time we thought they were great! :)

LuLu

My wife and I would like to try one of the aft porthole cabins on Aloha deck on the Grand class ships. She feels the location near the aft pool looks great. I like that it would not only be close to the pool for her but also close to HC and to the aft bar. :)

If it's up to me, I'll generally sail in an Oceanview cabin, since I like having the natural light, but I don't quite have the budget to do a balcony. I've been upgraded to balconies a couple of times, but I think I've only actually paid for a balcony once. That said, my friends I usually cruise with are typically on an inside cabin budget, so the last cruise I did was in an inside cabin, and the Mediterranean cruise I have planned next year will be as well.

I started cruising with my mom, then added my sister along the way. We always booked inside cabins because I was young, my mom was recently widowed, and my sister was married with a family. We enjoyed spending time together and being on the ship that we didn't care about the cabin. I introduced my now husband to cruising and we started in an inside as well. At that time he didn't think he'd even like cruising because he had gone many many years before and didn't like it. However, after one cruise with ME he decided he loved it. We booked a balcony cabin on the Emerald for her maiden TA voyage for our honeymoon. After that cruise he said he didn't want to go unless he was in a balcony for longer than 7 days. So, we booked balconies for quite a few years and had to make due with only getting to go once every other year or every two years due to budget constraints. Then this past summer we booked a 9 day Caribbean sampler and took his granddaughter with us in an inside room. He came away from that cruise saying that the inside wasn't so bad and if it meant we could go once or twice more often, then he'd be okay with it. So, I think for us it mainly depends on a couple of things: 1) is it just to get away for a quick relaxing vacation; 2) how long of a cruise is it; 3) will we be crossing any large oceans for days at a time; and 4) how late are we booking this trip? If it's a last minute cruise for relaxing, we may go the inside route, but if it gets to be really last minute we may get a better deal on a balcony so then we'd go that route. If it's a big trip that requires crossing either the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans we both agree that we need a balcony for those long at sea days. If it's a really port intensive cruise without days crossing an ocean, then we'd go for the inside.

We talked about booking a Baltic sea cruise and then the TA back across the pond. We agreed that we'd do an inside cabin for the Baltic portion as we would be off the ship quite a bit, then switch to a balcony for the crossing.

I have enjoyed reading this thread...I go back and forth with each person's position....1) "oh yeah, book an inside - spend the money elsewhere" then the next post says 2) "I love sitting on the balcony enjoying the world go by while drinking my coffee" - oh yeah that's me too. I guess that just means that I will be happy as long as I am on the ship! Just wait until I win the powerball or mega millions this week, then I'll be on the ship all the time!!!!

We book OV, OV obstructed or balcony obstructed, based on price. Most of the time it is OV. We had an inside cabin only once, but not again because I need to see if it is night or day! I felt claustrophobic. :eek:

Of course, we love the balcony, but can't justify the price difference if it is a large one. That is why we booked balcony obstructed several times. The price was about the same as OV and the obstruction is usually a lifeboat under the balcony, which never bothers us much. We would rather cruise more often in OV or spend the money in the ports.

Ava

For those who say an inside is fine because they spend no time in the cabin, I say that the better the cabin the more time you spend in it. When you can order room service off the MDR menu, you have more room service. When you have a larger cabin with a larger sitting area, you spend more time there. And when you have a nice big balcony you spend more time out there. We started with nothing and have worked hard all our lives and now it is time to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

I agree with this completely. We started out with mini-suites just to see whether we would enjoy cruising. Since then we have booked full suites on every cruise, for the space and amenities. As mentioned above, we started with nothing, worked hard all our lives, and now we are enjoying the fruits of our labor. We also consider ourselves very fortunate that we are able to afford to cruise like this.

We have been cruising since 1976 and take 1-4 vacations a year.

We can afford any cabin we want and over the years have booked or had a mega upgrade to ocean view, balcony and suites. Our preference is an inside. They are usually in a quiet location and are usually in our preferred ship location, lower deck and amidships.

So as someone who could afford the penthouse but prefers an inside cabin, I can say that that are people who just prefer an inside.

...So as someone who could afford the penthouse but prefers an inside cabin, I can say that that are people who just prefer an inside.

I have found that I sleep better in an inside with no daylight around the curtains to wake me early in the summer months. I have met a number of other cruisers who feel the same way, although I will still opt for an OV or balcony if the price is right :).

I have never experienced the disorientation that some mention in an inside, even in heavy seas, but realize YMMV.